TESTERS WANTED! ×

Another Tiger Surgery

GolfSpy MPR

I often appreciate Kyle Porter's takes on things, but on this, I can't agree:

I guess my question would be, "Time for who to have a discussion?" I don't think we [gestures broadly at everyone who isn't Tiger] really have any need to have a conversation about whether Tiger needs to retire. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't get the sense that Tiger's doing it for us, as though he'd retire if he didn't think he'd be disappointing the golf fans. Tiger plays, so far as I can tell, for Tiger. And so if he wants to keep going, it seems to me that that's his business alone.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I really think this is Tiger's call in consultation with his doctors, family, and friends.  Let's not forget, even in bad conditions he made the cut at the Masters.  Maybe this latest surgery will help with the ongoing pain.  We don't know.  But I do believe that Tiger will make the call (and it's his call) when he believes he can no longer compete.

Driver:  Ping G425 LST 9 degrees, stock shaft regular

Fairway: Ping G425 LST 13.5 degrees, stock shaft regular

Hybrids: Ping G425 19 and 22 degrees, stock shaft regular

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max, Project X  LZ105 5.5; 5-AW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 52 degrees, TT Dynamic Gold 115; Cleveland SmartSole 58 degrees, stock shaft

Putter:  Axis1 Rose with FlatCat grip

veteran.gif.ce23e65765944402b155f425df8cdfdb.gif.5b4cd6901ad1d0966d36704e6b4d9e7d.gif

image.png.2c141450bfdc56c40426d9df08a4bb4d.png

image.png.3ce9d749de4445b748c0a563eb19c35b.png

If he was doing it for the fans he would ride a cart which would allow him to produce the best product for us. I wish he would do that because I would like to see the GOAT playing the best he can.  Without riding a cart I do not think we will ever see that again on Sunday when it matters -- I hope I am wrong. I think he plays because he thinks he can win (at least on Thursday) and every time he tees it up I am rooting for him to be in the mix on Sunday because golf is better with Tiger.

30 minutes ago, Mr Three Wiggle said:

If he was doing it for the fans he would ride a cart which would allow him to produce the best product for us. I wish he would do that because I would like to see the GOAT playing the best he can.  Without riding a cart I do not think we will ever see that again on Sunday when it matters -- I hope I am wrong. I think he plays because he thinks he can win (at least on Thursday) and every time he tees it up I am rooting for him to be in the mix on Sunday because golf is better with Tiger.

Totally agree with you on this. If he takes the cart it definitely affects he fatigue and strength for the better throughout a tournament potentially allowing him to be a factor. I was 15 in awe watching the 97 masters. 26 watching the 08 US Open on duty at a USCG small boat station again in awe. He is the toughest competitor I’ve seen and it should be his call and his alone as to when he is finished. 

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

Thanks for sharing @GolfSpy MPR - I agree with your sentiment completely.  He's a competitor first and foremost, and not sure he's making these decisions based on what golf fans want.  

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

From what I was reading earlier, this surgery is like a last resort option for this kind of thing.. which is pretty sad. I do agree though, his competitive nature just won’t let him hang up his gloves. Hard to quit something you love. 

The fact that he made the cut at The Masters in that sort of condition is still crazy. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I have to say it’s been tough to see him struggle and I wish he wasn’t so stubborn about using a cart. I know his feelings on it for the pga but it’s unfortunate as he still has the game/swing to compete he just deteriorates quicker when walking. 

selfishly I’m super bummed about the news as I was hoping to see him play at oak hill in a few weeks as it’s likely the last opportunity I’ll have to see the big cat play. 

hoping he can make a full return and claim the outright win record and maybe another major at that. 

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

the amount of body work he has had done is staggering. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I totally agree.  If Tiger wants to play, it is his and only his decision.  I love watching him play and while watching him during the 3rd round of the Masters was a little tough, I'll take hobbled Tiger over no Tiger.

:taylormade-small: M6, 9.0°, Mitsubishi TENSEI 70

:callaway-small:  Mavrick 3 Wood, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 80 Graphite

:titleist-small: TSi3, 19°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV RAW WHITE S

:titleist-small: T100s 4-G, Project X LZ 6.0

:titleist-small: SM6 52°

:callaway-small: Jaws Forged 56°

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser

Maxfli Tour

Talk about a hole in one.  - Happy Gilmore (1996)

• 2 weeks later...

If that is the case, then it's important to respect Tiger Woods' autonomy and agency to make decisions about his own life and career. Ultimately, it is up to Tiger Woods to determine if he wants to continue playing golf or retire, based on his own personal goals, motivations, and physical abilities. While others may have opinions on the matter, it is ultimately his decision to make.

Edited by chirshadin

Never been a huge Tiger fan but loads of respect for his play and amazing will to be competitive even when the body is screaming no mas!  I keep imagining what the Champions Tour will look like were he to play some of those events.  Double the attendance would be my guess.  Those would be much easier on him but it will be interesting to see if he opts to play that tour. Presuming he comes through this in better repair, I have no doubt he'll continue to play the majors and a few key tour events until he decides he's just no longer competitive or it's no longer fun.  In defense of the columnist, I think he's just not wanting to see Tiger really injure himself.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I think it's probably the last we'll see of Tiger this year.

However, all he cares about at this stage of his career are the majors. Hard to think he won't tee it up again in another major.

We could possibly see him at The Open, but even that seems very soon.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Folks, never been a Tiger fan and never will be.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sad that what once felt like a foregone conclusion (getting the majors and wins records) has been derailed by a combination of personal and physical failings: his personal life crumbling in a very public way was a serious distraction; then his body started failing (his leg, his back); then the careless car accident causing serious injuries. Those records are gone now. So I wouldn't be surprised if he slows down even further, letting his body rest, and prepares to play on the Champions Tour - if he even has a desire to play on that tour. But the drive to secure those records has to be pretty much gone as they are truly out of reach at this point, barring some miraculous recovery

Driver: Geek Golf DCT 10.5°

3 & 5 wood: Tour+ Nessie (cheap Nike SQ knockoffs)

3 & 4 hybrids: Acer XK

5 - PW: Nakashima NP1

53° & 58° wedges: Scratch 8620

Putter: Odyssey 2-ball XG SRT