Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best brand for killing snakes

Apparently, it's Callaway....

RANCHO PENASQUITOS — Kenny Ngo said he has two fears: heights and snakes.

On Monday he met up with one of those in the kitchen of his Rancho Peñasquitos condo.

Ngo, 39, said he had just finished his morning routine of running and working out at a gym when he returned home about 11:30, kicked off his shoes and went to the kitchen to get a drink. That's when a foot-long baby rattlesnake bit him on the heel, pumping venom into Ngo's body.

“It felt like a really strong bee sting,” Ngo said Thursday. “My adrenaline was rushing, and my quick reaction was just to get something and hit it.”

Ngo said he grabbed a golf club — a Callaway 4-iron — out of a bag in his living room and swung at the snake twice. He missed the first time then nailed it with the second attempt, almost splitting the serpent in half.

Ngo said that within minutes his arms started going numb, then his legs, then his entire body. His muscles tightened. He said he was barely able to speak when he called 911. His face was throbbing as he was taken by ambulance to the hospital. The snake, barely clinging to life, was taken with him to the ER where doctors identified it.

Ngo spent the night in the hospital and was released the following day.

He said he's still a little sore and has some stiffness but he's walking around.

Ngo has lived at the condo, which sits on a canyon and is surrounded by shrubs and trees, for about seven years. He said he's never seen a snake on the property before. On the day he was bitten a gardener was using a blower on the leaves, and Ngo suspects the snake might have been disturbed and slithered into his home through a gap underneath a screen door. He said he feels fortunate but is concerned that because it was a baby snake there might be others around.

“I'm paranoid. I'm wearing my shoes now,” he said. “Be careful of your surroundings even in your home. It can happen anywhere.”

Lots of missing info -- blade or GI? Forged or cast? I'd think, to chop a snake in half, it'd have to be a blade...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thankfully he grabbed a 4 iron. A 3 iron is so much more difficult to get solid contact than a 4. However, a wedge would have been easier to swing in the kitchen. I bet he did not have a Sergio waggle first.:D

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Would a "rattler" be better than an albatross, eagle or birdie? :rolleyes:

But is grounding the club in the kitchen before your swing a 2-stroke penalty? We could ask Dustin Johnson... :lol:

Stop me -- this could go on all day!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Would a "rattler" be better than an albatross, eagle or birdie? :rolleyes:

But is grounding the club in the kitchen before your swing a 2-stroke penalty? We could ask Dustin Johnson... :lol:

Stop me -- this could go on all day!

HAHAHA The Dustin Johnson joke has me cracking up :lol:

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

A couple of summers ago, I needed to use the restroom so I went to the back side of the hill, near the bushes, and was just getting started good when I felt something hitting my leg. I looked down and I was standing on the head of a snake and it was hitting me with its tail trying to get out.

I have no idea what kind it was, probably not poisonous, in retrospect. It could not bite me because I was on his head, so I was perfectly safe as it was. However, none of this occured to me at the time. I set the world record for the "standing penis holding broad jump". I levetated about 12 feet from where I was. While this thing was probably closer to being an 18" grass snake, I reacted like it was an 18' python.

We do have poisonous snakes and we do see them on the course regularly, but they try to avoid golfers as much a we avoid them. That is the first time I did not see one before it was too late. Luckily, it did not see me either.

A couple of summers ago, I needed to use the restroom so I went to the back side of the hill, near the bushes, and was just getting started good when I felt something hitting my leg. I looked down and I was standing on the head of a snake and it was hitting me with its tail trying to get out.

I have no idea what kind it was, probably not poisonous, in retrospect. It could not bite me because I was on his head, so I was perfectly safe as it was. However, none of this occured to me at the time. I set the world record for the "standing penis holding broad jump". I levetated about 12 feet from where I was. While this thing was probably closer to being an 18" grass snake, I reacted like it was an 18' python.

We do have poisonous snakes and we do see them on the course regularly, but they try to avoid golfers as much a we avoid them. That is the first time I did not see one before it was too late. Luckily, it did not see me either.

You probably broke my world's record - but it was set in an entirely different way under and entirely different set of circumstances, which should probably remain private. :D

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You probably broke my world's record - but it was set in an entirely different way under and entirely different set of circumstances, which should probably remain private. :D

Are you talking about time standing on a snake or time holding a penis in your hand? :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Are you talking about time standing on a snake or time holding a penis in your hand? :lol:

You know, it is possible to do both at the same time :D

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You know, it is possible to do both at the same time :D

That's 2 records then!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Could contribute more to this line of discussion but then we would have to change the name to Penthouse Forum. :rolleyes:

When I played the Palm at Disney a few years ago, the ranger warned us that the gators were mean, but the rattlers were meaner, because it was breeding season. I hit my ball into the edge of some brush and when I went to get it, I heard a rattler, so I started backing up towards a small pond and had a 4' gator lunge out of the water at me. After that, I only walked in the short grass and stayed away from water.

Rattlesnakes are my favorite kind of snake. They warn you that you are about to mess up. Water moccasins are my second favorite because the have an odor that I can tell they are close by. Copperheads are the worst. They will bite you several times instead of just once. We do not have many rattlers here but lots of the other two.

As far as gators, well lets just say that my philosophy when playing around gators is free drop if you go too close to the pond. I am sure that if they had gators in Scotland the rule number 5 would have been :

If your Ball comes among water, or any watery filth, you are at liberty to take you your Ball & bringing it behind the hazard and Teeing it, you may play it with any Club and allow you Adversary a Stroke for getting out you Ball, UNLESS there are gators in the general area in which case it is a free drop.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived