Jump to content
Testers Wanted! ×

2023 MGS Forum: Cobra 50th Anniversary Special!


Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the TESTING POST links to go straight to the testers introductions, unboxings and final reviews!

Testing King Tour CB MB
@chisagTESTING POST - Page 11

@Tom the Golf NutTESTING POST - Page 12

Testing Forged Tec & Forged Tec X
@sirchunksalotTESTING POST - Page 12

@CFreddieTESTING POST - Page 12

Testing AeroJet Irons
@Jnoble89TESTING POST - Page 12

@JerryBTESTING POST - Page 12

 

CONGRATULATIONS TO TEAM 1!  Sam, Chris, and Jason are this year's Cobra Member Special Champions!

image.png

Which team is going win the Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special?  

86 members have voted

  1. 1. Which team is going to win the Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special?

    • Team 1: chisag, CFreddie, and Jnoble89
    • Team 2: Tom the Golf Nut, sirchunksalot, and JerryB

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2023 at 03:59 AM

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, ParFore74x said:

I’m starting to have these nagging thoughts of playing a round with just irons so that I can get a better understanding of what you guys are dealing with. I don’t usually carry a four iron so I grabbed that on my way out the door this morning just in case I’m motivated later on today. 

Screenshot2023-07-13164053.png.d9c1dabf901983b21252d47b4379e808.png

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

If you really want to know leave the 4 iron and the 5 iron home. 🤣

And the six iron!

 

(spoiler: it sux!)

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, JerryB said:

And the six iron!

 

(spoiler: it sux!)

Mine got as much mileage on it this week that it normally takes all season to get to. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I would have swung the 7 off the tee on a couple more holes than I did, the lost ball on 15 comes to mind. That hole gives me fits most days and losing a ball that should have been no worse than blocked by trees qualifies as a fit.

It was a lot of fun getting out and being limited to certain clubs and the mental challenge was draining, but nice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got in my back nine for the irons only challenge today.  Owen wasn't feeling it so I went by myself.  I know we'd ideally have someone accompany us but I don't believe anyone's going to think I'm making up scores here, lol.

Screenshot2023-07-13164900.png.acef7c8b26df06e8173610e72af450bf.png

Firstly, while my whole game comes and goes, its my iron game that consistently lags behind everything else.  And after a couple of decent showings recently, it's become an issue again this week.  And whether I'm good or bad, playing with a seven iron as my longest club is a rough go.

Now a more important thing I've learned from these challenges is that I'm not mentally ready for these challenges.  As a high handicapper, I really rely on certain clubs and I'm simply not good enough to manufacture something out of nothing in most cases.  This leads to high levels of frustration, and as was the case today, I melted down because of it.  

So anyway, some observations.

If I blade these things, the ball comes out HOT!  On ten I hit a stinger that also got some cart path help to put me just off the green, 180 yards from the tee.  Similar thing on eleven, where I mis-hit my 8 iron and skipped across the little pond, lol.  

Looking over my overall distances, I'm getting about 10-15 yards more on each club.  I'm sure its not quite an apples to apples comparison to my old Cobra AMPs, but its fascinating to see.

When I do hit them right, its a great feeling and I feel like I almost know what I'm doing!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JerryB said:

Now a more important thing I've learned from these challenges is that I'm not mentally ready for these challenges.  As a high handicapper, I really rely on certain clubs and I'm simply not good enough to manufacture something out of nothing in most cases.  This leads to high levels of frustration, and as was the case today, I melted down because of it.  

 

... I hear ya Jerry and you are 100% correct, it is really tough on the high index players. I think Tom will tell you it was difficult for us and we have the skills to pull off partial shots, but not every time and it still takes laser like focus. Sitting 80yds from the green we are thinking birdie but hitting a 9 iron and not being able to get it close or even on the green is not a lot of fun. My guess is the mid index guys are somewhere in-between. And while you can't completely escape the frustration, you can minimize it knowing you aren't ready for this kind of challenge so all you can do is your best. 😇 Or your worst. 👹  But just know we are all pulling for you! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

... I was determined to beat my last score as I hate being in a tie. I hit a great 4 iron and a nice 8 iron to 10 feet and I see ... verticut aerated greens. 🙄  I managed to stick one about 2 feet on the 4th hole and made a birdie, but several putts in the 7-10 ft range just had no chance hopping around like the Easter Bunny. Added a bogie on the 7th and the rest pars so it wasn't gonna happen today. I decided to get ready for the next challenge but after 2 holes on the back 9 I was standing on the tee and felt a little dizzy and flushed. Sat back down in the cart in the shade and it went away but I was not taking any chances and called it a day after 11 holes. Never enjoyed cooling seats in my car so much. I think 111* is my new limit because the 113* temperature today got the best of me. 🥵



aeratedgreens.JPG.ff8045de5de7df2101e66103ca71a399.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... I hear ya Jerry and you are 100% correct, it is really tough on the high index players. I think Tom will tell you it was difficult for us and we have the skills to pull off partial shots, but not every time and it still takes laser like focus. Sitting 80yds from the green we are thinking birdie but hitting a 9 iron and not being able to get it close or even on the green is not a lot of fun. My guess is the mid index guys are somewhere in-between. And while you can't completely escape the frustration, you can minimize it knowing you aren't ready for this kind of challenge so all you can do is your best. 😇 Or your worst. 👹  But just know we are all pulling for you! 

@JerryB Sam is spot on. All the challenges are hard. Both physically and mentally. All you can do is your best. There are no expectations. Remember you are a higher handicap, on top of this you have all new clubs to get used to. Then they limit what clubs you can use for a challenge. It’s just plain hard. But at the same time you learn so much. I walk away with options on the course that I never thought about before. I’ll also be frank and say, I don’t think I would sign up for this again. Well at least not in the summer. 🤣 It is taxing on the mind and body. On a positive note the finish line is in sight. We are all winners and we provided the entire forum with entertainment, equipmemt reviews, and the opportunity for them to get involved with challenges.

In two weeks your going to look at your shiny new clubs sitting in the corner, think back on the entire challenge and smile. Some day Owen will be sitting in your shoes going through one of these and then you will really smile (or laugh at him). 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Mine got as much mileage on it this week that it normally takes all season to get to. 

I’ve only played 9 irons only holes and my 6 iron has gotten more use than the previous 3 years I’ve played 😂

 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I was determined to beat my last score as I hate being in a tie. I hit a great 4 iron and a nice 8 iron to 10 feet and I see ... verticut aerated greens. 🙄  I managed to stick one about 2 feet on the 4th hole and made a birdie, but several putts in the 7-10 ft range just had no chance hopping around like the Easter Bunny. Added a bogie on the 7th and the rest pars so it wasn't gonna happen today. I decided to get ready for the next challenge but after 2 holes on the back 9 I was standing on the tee and felt a little dizzy and flushed. Sat back down in the cart in the shade and it went away but I was not taking any chances and called it a day after 11 holes. Never enjoyed cooling seats in my car so much. I think 111* is my new limit because the 113* temperature today got the best of me. 🥵



aeratedgreens.JPG.ff8045de5de7df2101e66103ca71a399.JPG

They airated mine too. Back 9 yesterday, front 9 today. 
Don’t kill yourself. It’s to dam hot. Your smarter than that. I got dizzy a couple times gettin up from reading a putt. Squatted right back down and got up slower. No more walking until September. Well, at least no more afternoon rounds walking. 

Your very competitive but I’d rather add a stroke to my score than see you get sunstroke. We got one more to get through. Just play two 9’s then we can take a summer break. This is my first summer in NC and I wasn’t prepared. I don’t know what I could have done better, but I’m still not dealing with the heat and humidity very well. The sweat just gets in your eyes and burns like a mother. Then the gnats and mosquitoes eat the ever lovin crap out of you.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@chisag and @Tom the Golf Nut I appreciate the kind words.  It's difficult sometimes to express how I really feel and I hope nobody here is getting the wrong impression.  I know how lucky I am and that just about everyone else on the forum would trade with me in an instant.  It's been rough trying to hit the right notes during the Cobra Challenge.  I don't want to sound super negative because this is a fantastic opportunity, but I also don't want to sound like I'm butt-kissing, either.  

It is hard to temper expectations, though.  Rationally I know that my equipment plays only a small part in my overall abilities, but every now and then I find myself thinking, "Why aren't I nearing scratch with these awesome clubs??"  😂

This has been an absolute blast to be a part of but I do want to make clear for future iterations that it ain't all sunshine and burritos, my friends!

Was going to try to sneak in one more irons-only round but I think I might just go back to full bag; I'm excited to see how my whole bag fits together.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Your very competitive but I’d rather add a stroke to my score than see you get sunstroke. We got one more to get through. Just play two 9’s then we can take a summer break. This is my first summer in NC and I wasn’t prepared. I don’t know what I could have done better, but I’m still not dealing with the heat and humidity very well. The sweat just gets in your eyes and burns like a mother. Then the gnats and mosquitoes eat the ever lovin crap out of you.

 

... Thanks Tom. I was playing horse with my son and a couple friends and I rarely lost at 65 while they were in their 20's. One said "I think your Dad is addicted to competition" and my son replied "No, he is addicted to wining." LOL, out of the mouth of babes. But the first sign of being over heated let alone a heat stroke and I left the course after 11 holes. And I never do that. But this heat is no joke. (I'll still take it over my days in the south with excessive sweating and gnats/mosquitoes 😜)

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks as though my plans for getting in an irons round this week have changed, unfortunately. We've got a group of us going out early Saturday morning with our SWMBOs to play a round and then we plan on hitting up the wineries and distilleries afterward. So we are going to play a course closer to home, one which I don't particularly fancy, as it is a relatively short 9 hole with no par 5s... pretty bummed. Nonetheless, I still plan on playing with irons only just because it was a lot of fun last time.

 

Oh, and GO TEAM 1!

giphy.gif

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

In a review like this, I think it's important to be open and honest, struggles are part of the game and being open about them enriches the review for the readers. 

I can't emphasize this enough. As someone who reads a ton of online user reviews, and as someone who has written them, honesty is absolutely the key when it comes to sharing your thoughts on the clubs/balls/tech/whatever. That's why I love forum reviews, it's real golfers playing their own game and responding to what's happening, vs some YouTube "pro" who's a 2 hdcp reviewing SGI irons, y'know?

Keep the honest reviews coming!!!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I can't emphasize this enough. As someone who reads a ton of online user reviews, and as someone who has written them, honesty is absolutely the key when it comes to sharing your thoughts on the clubs/balls/tech/whatever. That's why I love forum reviews, it's real golfers playing their own game and responding to what's happening, vs some YouTube "pro" who's a 2 hdcp reviewing SGI irons, y'know?

Keep the honest reviews coming!!!

This is how I feel about the process, too. Watching someone who is way better than me hit GI irons or a "max" version of a driver head does me little good. I don't strike the ball that consistently, so I'm not going to get that consistent of numbers with the clubs. As a higher handicap, I feel like I can provide a good, real world review of how the irons I am testing (Aerojet) perform on good strikes, slight toe/heel misses, and just plain old bad strikes. I have had to remind myself a couple times that the expectation is not to hit every club perfect, but just to play and review them to how they fit my game.

 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Breaking News here for the Cobra Challenge

 

Just saw this picture of CFreddie's latest golf accessory so he can complete the upcoming last challenge in a similar fashion to what he managed to do in those already completed.

 

 

 

accessory.jpg

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I can't emphasize this enough. As someone who reads a ton of online user reviews, and as someone who has written them, honesty is absolutely the key when it comes to sharing your thoughts on the clubs/balls/tech/whatever. That's why I love forum reviews, it's real golfers playing their own game and responding to what's happening, vs some YouTube "pro" who's a 2 hdcp reviewing SGI irons, y'know?

Keep the honest reviews coming!!!

 

... A unique experience for me. I went to the PGA Show every year and reviewed what I thought were the best clubs in every category. Obviously they were glowing reviews because I picked the best driver/fw wood/hybrid/irons/wedges/putters for my swing. So posting a negative review is new for me but as you stated and we all know, MGS reviews are just regular golfers that get a chance to play and review an entire spectrum of clubs. The chances of getting a full bag of clubs (including the bag) from any OEM and being in love with all of them is pretty low. 

... One of the things I love about MGS reviews is the Trade or Keep part of the review. Because the truth is nobody makes a bad club these days and much of it comes down to personal preference. I don't care for a longer length from front to rear on my driver. It looks unwieldy and distracting to me eye. But someone else may absolutely love a larger looking head because it gives them added confidence. And I do not like a loud or explosive metallic sound with my driver, preferring a dense and muted sound. Conversely many young players find a dense and muted driver face feels "dead" to them. So the same driver producing very similar performance for 2 different players can be in ones bag and out of the others based primarily on simple personal preference. 

... Just so much to learn and enjoy from any regular ole MGS members review. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might be a crazy idea but thinking about, just for kicks, swapping out a 3 gram weight from my 7 wood for the 12 gram weight in my AJ Max driver. Odds are it would make absolutely ZERO difference in the club feeling “slower” than my TSi3, but I feel like tinkering lol. I have not seen benefits of the 12g weight in the heel belong to combat my massive slice as I know it comes down to how I am delivering the club at this point. Any thoughts from anyone? Feel free to tell me it’s stupid and won’t make a lick of difference, if you feel so inclined lol

 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Might be a crazy idea but thinking about, just for kicks, swapping out a 3 gram weight from my 7 wood for the 12 gram weight in my AJ Max driver. Odds are it would make absolutely ZERO difference in the club feeling “slower” than my TSi3, but I feel like tinkering lol. I have not seen benefits of the 12g weight in the heel belong to combat my massive slice as I know it comes down to how I am delivering the club at this point. Any thoughts from anyone? Feel free to tell me it’s stupid and won’t make a lick of difference, if you feel so inclined lol

I don’t think it’s stupid at all. Try it, what the hell… It may do absolutely nothing or maybe it helps. Won’t know for sure til you do, plus the results will make for a good post. You get to walk, so others may run, etc., etc.

WITB:

D: TBD ??? 🤔

3w: :callaway-small: Paradym ♦️♦️♦️15° Hzrdus 6.0

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

4u:   :titleist-small:  T200 Utility Build 24° Hzrdus 6.0

5i-7i:  :titleist-small: T200 25°-30.5° Recoil 110 f4

8i-PW: :titleist-small: T150 36°-44° Recoil 110 f4

50°:   :vokey-small:SM-8 

54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :L.A.B.: Mezz1.Max

Ball:  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Bag:  Jones Trouper R stand bag 

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Might be a crazy idea but thinking about, just for kicks, swapping out a 3 gram weight from my 7 wood for the 12 gram weight in my AJ Max driver. Odds are it would make absolutely ZERO difference in the club feeling “slower” than my TSi3, but I feel like tinkering lol. I have not seen benefits of the 12g weight in the heel belong to combat my massive slice as I know it comes down to how I am delivering the club at this point. Any thoughts from anyone? Feel free to tell me it’s stupid and won’t make a lick of difference, if you feel so inclined lol

 

...  If it is as easy as unscrewing a weight and screwing it back in, why not? As Ben said ya never know til you try. That said I would first move the 12gm weight to the rear with the 3gm weight in the heel. The more weight in the rear, the more forgiving the head is twisting less on slight mishits while providing a little more height and spin for control. I actually put a 16gm weight in the rear since my driver is 1/2" shorter for more control.

... The second part of the equation is the fairway wood weights are smaller than the driver weights. They can fit in your driver but you'll get dirt and grass surrounding it and of course the driver weight will not fit in the 7 wood. But I like your thinking! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

...  If it is as easy as unscrewing a weight and screwing it back in, why not? As Ben said ya never know til you try. That said I would first move the 12gm weight to the rear with the 3gm weight in the heel. The more weight in the rear the more forgiving the head is twisting less on slight mishits while providing a little more height and spin for control. I actually put a 16gm weighting the rear since my driver is 1/2" shorter for more control.

... The second part of the equation is the fairway wood weights are smaller than the driver weights. They can fit in your driver but you'll get first and grass surrounding it and of course the driver weight will not fit in the 7 wood. But I like your thinking! 

Ah yes, I didn’t think about the size difference. I did try the 12g weight to the rear and 3 in the heel and it just never felt comfortable which was interesting. I actually hit it worse that way 🤣 I figure some experimenting and tinkering is what makes it fun! I even may loft it +1 so it’s at 12° purely to see what happens haha

 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Ah yes, I didn’t think about the size difference. I did try the 12g weight to the rear and 3 in the heel and it just never felt comfortable which was interesting. I actually hit it worse that way 🤣 I figure some experimenting and tinkering is what makes it fun! I even may loft it +1 so it’s at 12° purely to see what happens haha

 

... That is strange that the weight in the rear made you uncomfortable. But I am gonna go out on a limb here and suggest but not imply that for some reason and it is always hard to quantify but in your case that may or may not apply to others and since this is a new driver and you are under the pressure of a competition that maybe and it is a big MAYBE ... it is just your swing? 😳

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... That is strange that the weight in the rear made you uncomfortable. But I am gonna go out on a limb here and suggest but not imply that for some reason and it is always hard to quantify but in your case that may or may not apply to others and since this is a new driver and you are under the pressure of a competition that maybe and it is a big MAYBE ... it is just your swing? 😳

Oh it’s for sure my swing lol. I will swap it back there again next time I am up on the range/playing a full bag and see what happens 

 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was really bummed out when I discovered that the driver weights were different.  I was looking forward to tinkering a bit myself just to see some differences.  At (if I remember right) $25 per weight, I'm not quite that excited about tinkering.  On the plus side, the weights for the hybrids and woods are the same size.

When I first started, I had a friend that gave us an old R7 3W that he had taken the weights out of in hopes of swinging faster.  This has nothing to do with the story above, but I loved the whistling sound swinging that weight-less club!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JerryB said:

I was really bummed out when I discovered that the driver weights were different.  I was looking forward to tinkering a bit myself just to see some differences.  At (if I remember right) $25 per weight, I'm not quite that excited about tinkering.  On the plus side, the weights for the hybrids and woods are the same size.

When I first started, I had a friend that gave us an old R7 3W that he had taken the weights out of in hopes of swinging faster.  This has nothing to do with the story above, but I loved the whistling sound swinging that weight-less club!

 

... I bought a lighter aftermarket 2gm heel weight for my Stealth2 HD that only cost $10 and then added some lead tape to the toe to balance it out. Since I normally play a straight to soft draw with my driver, I didn't want any draw enhancements but needed the extra spin from the HD head. 


Heelwt.JPG.f62a6a4a3fb6a39c380b6ae9444f563a.JPGHeelwt2.JPG.78c580b3e0c5c27a38beeff24f06a67a.JPG
 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

I will swap it back there again next time I am up on the range/playing a full bag and see what happens 

 

... When the Fly Z was introduced almost all the engineers played it a little shorter with a heavier weight in the back. It increased the MOI substantially along with a little more spin making it more forgiving and they called it the "fairway finder". I had been struggling with my driver at that time and with the Fly Z and heavier back weight I had my best driving season ever. When I started playing the new Cobra for review my son commandeered my Fly Z and I put an ultra stiff Nunchuk shaft in it for him and when I wanted it back he said "not a chance" LOL. It is still in his bag. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm having mixed feelings about going back to a full bag of clubs. On the one hand, I'll be ecstatic to have the woods, hybrids, and wedges in the bag once more. 

On the other hand, I've played some of the best golf with the partial bags. I think it has something to do with managing expectations.

I think my biggest concern is I'll go back to playing the way I was before the challenge and being overly aggressive and not accepting shots as they are. There's been a calm in my mind that hasn't been there in a long time and I want to keep it that way. 

I just hope I'm smart enough to keep the temptation to attempt the hero shot way too often. I need to trust the Cobra clubs that are fit for my game to do what they do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...