Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The best ball?

Personally i like the TP5X as my front runner but I'm still trying a lot of balls like right now I'm hitting the Bridgestone Tour B XS i think every ball has its advantages and disadvantages just have to find the one that works for you 

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

My favorites from over the years:

Old Model Pro V1s (think mid-2000s)

Callaway HX 56 - I've hated every Cally ball since

Srixon Z-Star, been my gamer for years. Longer than the Pro V1 and identical short game performance for $10-20 less per dozen.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have a real soft spot for the Maxfli Revolution from the late 90s, early 2000s. It was still relatively early in the shift to contemporary ball designs so the performance difference to the balls I was playing previously was stark.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

No I don’t think cost has to do with it!
My ball of choice is the ODIN X1. Ik it sounds made up, but it performs beautifully and comparing the TP5 and Pro V1 it matches its performance and costs 1/2 as much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

The best ball I’ve used is the one that fits my game beat tee to green. There is no best ball the market just like there no best driver, fairway, iron set, wedge or shaft

only what’s best for the individual golfer.

for me it’s been the prov1 year after year. The prov1x has been a good alternative in normal conditions but no so good in windy ones.

tp5 and 5x have been descent most releases but they don’t perform tee to green as good as the Prov1 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think you have to look at your game and cost compared to the quality .

For me my game is not good enough (15 handicap) to pay for a premium ball and my home course is an absolute ball eating machine.

I want a premium ball but cannot justify the $55 per dozen that the OEM brands demand. That why I currently play the Maxfli Tour Soft.  At $30 a dozen I can play a premium ball and it works great for me.

31 minutes ago, Rhinosparky said:

I think you have to look at your game and cost compared to the quality .

For me my game is not good enough (15 handicap) to pay for a premium ball and my home course is an absolute ball eating machine.

I want a premium ball but cannot justify the $55 per dozen that the OEM brands demand. That why I currently play the Maxfli Tour Soft.  At $30 a dozen I can play a premium ball and it works great for me.

This is great mindset for the majority of golfers that either can't or don't want to spend $50+ per dozen. Play the least expensive ball that does what you want it to do.

Take Dead Aim

On 5/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, Sarahanne said:

What is the best ball you’ve used? Do you think cost has an impact on the ball type?

These are a few thoughts I have on golf balls, anytime a discussion of golf balls comes up.

First:  Whatever ball someone uses make sure the cost of it is such that it can be left behind, with a cursory look, for pace of play purposes.

Second:  It is really a matter of preference.  Some people crunch the numbers on their clubs, figuring spin rates etc. etc..  I go by the philosopy that a better ball with help my good shots and no ball is going to prevent a plain old crappy strike.  I use the Srixon Z-Star XV.

Third:  COST:  My take on cost is different than most.  Cost is a balance of how much you play, how much your are going to spend playing , and how many balls you are ACTUALLY going to lose in a year.  I won't bore anyone with the long math again.  But by the time this year will be over I will lose around 4 dozen or so Z-Stars.  I will play around 40 rounds and spend $1200.  In the end it will cost me about 60 cents a round to use what I consider to be a very good ball, instead of one that is 10$ cheaper a dozen.  That most of the time if you stock up you can get for around 35$ a dozen if you wait for the 10$ off an order of $100 or more from Dicks at the end of the year.

Remember the new  $500 driver is adding $10 around for the first 50 rounds you play with it.

It is a balance, but sometimes based on my point of view, I'm not sure people who play 30+ rounds of golf in a year, are actually saving that much, using middle of the road balls when you figure in what new equipment apparrel, and other things are adding to the cost of the round.  And the ball is something you hit EVERY SHOT.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Whatever Tony Covey tells us.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, Sarahanne said:

What is the best ball you’ve used? Do you think cost has an impact on the ball type?

Titleist Prov1, X, AVX and Left Dash are the "BEST" balls on the market......

Golf is cool

Titleist Prov1, X, AVX and Left Dash are the "BEST" balls on the market......

giphy.gif

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip

26 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

giphy.gif

not really.....reputation and quality are everything.....BEST is a broad description but from a quality standpoint, TITLEIST Leads the pack by quite a bit. 

i play left dot and its amazing...but also play TP5X and CSX......all three work well depending on course and weather......left dot leads the pack

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

31 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

giphy.gif

In what way or way?

Who is producing a better ball? That includes quality control, performance and any other criteria?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

18 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

not really.....reputation and quality are everything.....BEST is a broad description but from a quality standpoint, TITLEIST Leads the pack by quite a bit. 

i play left dot and its amazing...but also play TP5X and CSX......all three work well depending on course and weather......left dot leads the pack

In a professional outlook yea those are the most used balls! But best is a personal preference I don’t like the Left dash the feel is off to me. I use ODIN golf balls mostly and TP5X as a back up! But the Titlest line just not a fan of them!

28 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

In a professional outlook yea those are the most used balls! But best is a personal preference I don’t like the Left dash the feel is off to me. I use ODIN golf balls mostly and TP5X as a back up! But the Titlest line just not a fan of them!

as a 20 HDCP, the left dash is NOT for you and I agree its harsh, but it is really long. Gives you less of a club into the green on many occasions. 

give the prov1 a go......its a really nice feel and really performs.

Golf is cool

17 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

Remember the new  $500 driver is adding $10 around for the first 50 rounds you play with it.

I still play my 910 D3 driver because i refuse to pay $600/$700 for one club i hit 12 times per round......the prices of drivers are insane and this bubble will have to burst at some point.....are we trending towards $1000 drivers? 

Golf is cool

4 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

as a 20 HDCP, the left dash is NOT for you and I agree its harsh, but it is really long. Gives you less of a club into the green on many occasions. 

I’m not actually a 20 HDCP I don’t actually have one! I’ll update once o get one though! I have a bucket of prov1s just not a fan! They don’t feel right to me. 

9 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I like the ProV1, it was my ball for years. It helped that I was a caddy and this was a ball that 90% of the membership played, so easy to find them in mint. I went to the Srixon Z-Star because with the BOGOs and every-other-year closeouts I can get them for about $20 less a dozen. For me I've found that the Z is a little longer off the driver and there is zero performance difference in the short game/approach. Even the Ball Lab between the ProV1 and Z-Star show them to be very comparable balls. 

Take Dead Aim

11 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

I’m not actually a 20 HDCP I don’t actually have one! I’ll update once o get one though! I have a bucket of prov1s just not a fan! They don’t feel right to me. 

feel means a lot i agree.

it took me many seasons to get passed the feel thing driving my decisions.....now its all performance based and i was shocked how the feel of the ball cn change based on your mentality.....i hated the left dash at first but once i started hitting it 20 yards longer and scoring better, the feel of it was great all of a sudden.....thank god for left dot because now i get the performance and feel all in one package

Golf is cool

2 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

feel means a lot i agree.

it took me many seasons to get passed the feel thing driving my decisions.....now its all performance based and i was shocked how the feel of the ball cn change based on your mentality.....i hated the left dash at first but once i started hitting it 20 yards longer and scoring better, the feel of it was great all of a sudden.....thank god for left dot because now i get the performance and feel all in one package

Nice thank you for the advice! I’ll look into them if I get the chance but for me the PERFORMANCE of the odin X and X1 give me all the distance I can ask for and the workability I need for my mid to long irons!

3 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

Nice thank you for the advice! I’ll look into them if I get the chance but for me the PERFORMANCE of the odin X and X1 give me all the distance I can ask for and the workability I need for my mid to long irons!

thats great. keep playin em if you are happy!  took me a long time to find the best ball for me and with the quality Titleist puts out, i can feel good about a $55 ball purchase 😉

Golf is cool

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

thats great. keep playin em if you are happy!  took me a long time to find the best ball for me and with the quality Titleist puts out, i can feel good about a $55 ball purchase 😉

Not getting into a price battle 55 ain’t bad I’ll stick with 35!

20 hours ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

Not getting into a price battle 55 ain’t bad I’ll stick with 35!

a $35 ball that works for you is the way to go. Wish i could find a cheaper ball that I love. I did hear Titleist is going to soften the cover on the left dash for its next release, so that is a good thing. 

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

a $35 ball that works for you is the way to go. Wish i could find a cheaper ball that I love. I did hear Titleist is going to soften the cover on the left dash for its next release, so that is a good thing. 

That could be nice! Hope they do! 

I still say the older Bridgestone e6 was the best ball ever for my game. Felt great off of all clubs, straight(ish) off the driver, and OK repeatable spin around the greens.

The new e12 Contact is the closest they've come to replicating that, and I happily play that one. Have been since last season.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I still say the older Bridgestone e6 was the best ball ever for my game. Felt great off of all clubs, straight(ish) off the driver, and OK repeatable spin around the greens.

The new e12 Contact is the closest they've come to replicating that, and I happily play that one. Have been since last season.

One of the things I didn’t like about bridgestone was the new design of the tour b series. The b330 series was a great ball for me. I played the rx and rxs for quite awhile. 

This is such a complicated topic because I feel like I like certain balls more for different parts of my game. In a perfect world, I would love to be able to play a different ball for each part of my game (i.e. Driver = Callaway Chromesoft X LS, Irons = TM TP5, Wedges = Titleist Pro V1, Putter = Chromesoft). Sounds silly I know but that would be amazing. However, if I were to pick a ball that I consistently play the best time and time again, it would have to be the Chromesoft X LS. I love how it plays off the tee and with my irons, as well, I love the soft feel with my putter. My only complaint is that it isn't quite as spinny as I would like on my wedges but that can be remediated. Not sure if this helps but thought I would add my input.

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg