Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

The best ball?

Every year I buy 4-5 Dozen of the same ball and try to play only those balls for a full season to truly see how it performs.  I have done this for 5 years and this is what I have played so far.

Year 1(2019) - Kirkland Signature - This is when I first started taking golf more seriously, I didn't think the balls really mattered.  As I was playing these I thought they were just fine but looking back this is not a very good ball.  Its super spinny and balloons too much for me.  I still buy a box every now and then to use to hit balls into my backyard net.

Year 2(2020) - Titleist ProV1 - This was an over-correction from year 1.  ProV1 is the king of golf balls for me but the expense can be tough to swallow.  There always seems to be a sleeve or 2 of ProV's in my bag no matter what ball I am gaming that year.

Year 3(2021) - Snell MTBX - I really liked playing this ball, I found the performance was very similar to the ProV at a fraction of the cost.  But I did find that the ProV was a noticeably longer off the tee than the Snell(~10 Yards).  I would love to play the new Snell model soon. 

Year 4(2022) - Taylormade TP5x - This year I wanted to find something that was from a major manufacturer that could be comparable to the ProV, it also helped that I had a buddy with a Taylormade 40% discount that made this cost way less.  Overall I found this very similar to the ProV, maybe the ProV spins and holds greens better than the TP5x.  I would still say the ProV is better but with the discount I would pick the TM ball every time.  

Year 5(2023) - Callaway Chromesoft X LS - The beginning of this year I wanted to commit to playing a low spin driver and low spin ball and attempt to swing harder and play the natural fade of my shot shape.  It took me about 8 rounds to ditch this strategy, ditch this ball and switch back to my old driver lol.  I have gone back to the TP5x for now.  This ball could be a fine ball, but unfortunately for me it will be viewed as a failed experiment that I probably wont play again.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

My favorite so far is the Callaway Chromesoft X. Just works well for my game. But I'm forever trying different balls to find something that is similar but cheaper. Plus I just like testing different stuff.

I've been using a Pro V1 for most of the last three seasons but last fall bought a dozen Maxfli Tour balls.  I had heard good things about them and wanted to see if they played up to the hype.  I also didn't want to be losing $50 a dozen balls in the leaves.

The Maxfli Tour completely exceeded my expectations.  It's not quite as long as the Pro V1 and compresses slightly differently but it's amazing how close to a Pro V1 it is at that price point.  

If I hadn't had an inventory of Pro V1 in the closet for this season I might have made the switch permanently.  

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 5/3/2023 at 2:14 PM, Rhinosparky said:

I think you have to look at your game and cost compared to the quality .

For me my game is not good enough (15 handicap) to pay for a premium ball and my home course is an absolute ball eating machine.

I want a premium ball but cannot justify the $55 per dozen that the OEM brands demand. That why I currently play the Maxfli Tour Soft.  At $30 a dozen I can play a premium ball and it works great for me.

This is where it’s at! My favorite ball is the TM TP5x. Was getting a great deal on the previous years, at around $32/$35dz. But then they ran out. I still have several boxes stashed, but I also tested other options, as I knew this day would come to an end. With so many options today, do your own research! I have a buddy, we will go in halves on whatever ball we are wanting to test. 2 sleeves each work out great! Then if you find something you like, you’re all set! The new Maxfli balls are good & at their price point, are very hard to beat. Other DTC companies offer great options as well. With the big OEM’s getting $52/$55dz for their premium offerings, you’re crazy not giving yourself the option of a premium ball, at a cost that pleases you. 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

On 5/3/2023 at 3:14 PM, Rhinosparky said:

I think you have to look at your game and cost compared to the quality .

For me my game is not good enough (15 handicap) to pay for a premium ball and my home course is an absolute ball eating machine.

I want a premium ball but cannot justify the $55 per dozen that the OEM brands demand. That why I currently play the Maxfli Tour Soft.  At $30 a dozen I can play a premium ball and it works great for me.

i think this really has to be taken into account.

if you're paying a high premium for a golf ball that spins a ton but your current golfing ability doesn't allow you to take advantage of that then....

I play with some high hc players and when I'm in the woods looking for their ball I ask them what they're playing and a lot of the times it's a Titleist Pro v1. 🤦‍♂️ Granted, I don't know where they got the ball but if they're paying $4-5 for a ball that they hook 30 yards into the woods...

this was one of the harder things for me to learn as I started playing; I always wanted "the best" - but the best for me, and my skill level, wasn't a 50 dollar box of balls; it was the 25-30 dollar box until I could stop losing 3 per round and I understood a lot more about my game and what ball made sense. 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Just to throw this out there. Do people play different balls different temperatures? Maybe I’m crazy but it seems like the Maxfli softfli that I’ve been playing this winter goes farther in the cold. I like new balls but I don’t find the more you pay for a ball equals better results?

Driver- Ping G425 SFT senior flex

3 wood - Ping G425 SFT senior flex

5 wood Ping G410 SFT senior flex

5 Ping G425 5 hybrid senior flex

6 - gap wedge - Ping G425 irons orange code senior flex

56* sand wedge- 60 lob wedge- Kirkland 

Putter- Odyssey  

Without question, the OnCore Vero X1 is the best ball I've ever played. My usual golf partner was so impressed with them he changed immediately from the Pro V1 to the Vero X1.

For me I’d have to say my favorite ball would be the Titleist DT SoLo followed closely by the NXT. I loved hitting both but the SoLo a smidge more. 

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

43 minutes ago, Joefreddy said:

I still like the Titleist VG3 and Grand Z. A little hard to get but love the feel and performance. Something about that finish I also like. The numbering 33:55:77 different but good by me. 

I used to play the Grand Z just because I could play # 77 which was my football number.  I wish custom numbers were more easily accessible. 

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

Best ball... that's a tough one.  I try to play one ball type only, but something comes along and I switch for a round, maybe a week.

If I go by the most in personal inventory it's Srixon ZStar Diamond.  Been experimenting with MaxFli TourX for just over a month.  Can get both for about the same price, currently it's a toss up between those two.  If availability wasn't an issue, best ball I've ever played is the Titleist ProV1 left dot!!  Hands down, no contest, winner winner chicken dinner.  Got a box during their limited release two years or so ago, amazing (for me).  ProV prices are getting out of hand, they are great balls, but ill take ZStar or TourX at $35-$40/doz at Dicks SG.

SRIXON ZX5 LS Mkll  HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0  

SRIXON Z F85 13.5° 3W & SRIXON Z F85 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

TAKOMO 101 4-pw (custom- Steelfiber 95s 4i-6i, 110s 7i-pw   BB&F ferrules)

PING Glide 2.0 50° & Cleveland RTX 4.0 Tour Raw 56°

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

SRIXON Z STAR Diamond & MaxFli TourX

NEVR LOOZ Pro Clip cart bag 

23 minutes ago, rognus said:

Just to throw this out there. Do people play different balls different temperatures? Maybe I’m crazy but it seems like the Maxfli softfli that I’ve been playing this winter goes farther in the cold. I like new balls but I don’t find the more you pay for a ball equals better results?

I do not. Studies show that you only lose 2 yards per 10 degress of temperature change. so if you hit a 7i 150 yards when it's 70 degress out, you're still going to hit it 146 when it's in the 50s.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have tried almost every ball. Price is a major factor so Vice Pro and Pro+ are the ones for me at 25$ a dz. Will never pay full price for those top of the line balls. 

Putter:  Guerin-Rife 

SW:  Cleveland CBX2

irons: PXG  0311 XF  gen 3

Hybrid 3-4:  PXG 0211

3-5 wood: PXG 0211

Driver: PXG 0311 XF gen 5

I personally use the Srixon Z-star.

In Canada, Pro-V's, TP5's and Chrome Soft are up to 74.99 canadian per dozen.

If you hold out on a previous year sale, you can get Srixons for around 36 a dozen.

Can't beat the performance

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 3 HL

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g Stiff

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW - Stiff

Wedges - Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter -   default_taylormade-small.jpg.f51b0863b47c9f7d3e2ffc3583a5d3da.jpg  Spider S #1 Platinum/White

Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize

Ball - Srixon Z-star.....Q-Star in Spring and Fall

Jeremy Booth

Swing easy.

My personal favorite and gamer is the TP5 pix, but the Maxfli Tour comes in a close second. Almost the performance of a TP5 in a cheaper option. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Im a 12.7hc and i dont lose many balls & whenever my ball gets damaged at all its discarded. Not comfortable with $50/dozen so I have tried and liked snell mtb black, srixon zstar previous yr sale, vice pro & kirklandv2. All have been good for me. Currently playing srixon qstar was on sale & stocked up. I will probably try the newest version of kirkland or maxfli tour next. I have played some ProV1s ive found but at my ability level i did not notice a big difference. 

Mizuno st220 driver, cobra F9 fwy 3,5,7, mizuno hot metal pro irons, cleavland zipcore 56, evenroll putter

I find it hard to compare balls. I play over 100 rounds/ year and my handicap is 9. I can tell the difference between a Kirkland and a ProV1. Then it gets tricky. I like softer, urethane cover balls. I have a good short game, so I like balls that spin more around the green. I’ve used all the major brands and keep coming back to the ProV1. I had a love affair with the Snell MTB black for awhile, but for me it is slightly shorter than the ProV1. In the end I rationalize that I lose less balls than most and honestly we all know the ProV1 is the gold standard.

I’ve been using Pro V1 and Pro VX for over 20 years. They have been changing the trajectory and hardness of each ball for a long time. So I haven’t been happy about that. I’ve tried numerous other balls over the years including Callaway, Srixon and Taylormade. Even though Im not thrilled about the current Pro V lineup, they still feel better than the others. I was a 1 hdcp until recently.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm doing the member review for the Vero X2 ball right now and it's really forcing me to think about the value proposal that DTC golf ball brands (snell, pxg, vice, etc) have on the golf world. Sure, there will always be a place for the Pro V1x left dashes of the world, but in my experience so far there is no real downside (other than maybe case quality) for going DTC. It will be interesting once I finish up my report and testing but I may start gaming Vice Pro Plus's or TP5x's after this test (TP5x as a result of the buy 3 get 1 free and I'm a TM junkie)

:callaway-small: Rogue MAX LS 9° (set to +1°)

:callaway-small: Rogue Max 3W 15°

:callaway-small:Apex UW 19°

:taylormade-small: p770 w/ Project X 6.5 (4-AW)

:callaway-small: Jaws Full-Toe Black 54° & 60°

:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"

:taylormade-small: TP5x 

Oh man, this is a tough question.

When I was younger, gulp, I actually liked the Slazenger Balata, yes, I am that old.

• Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-8 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey 56-12 & 60-08 - Project X 6.0
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
  • Golf Ball - 2023 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

While I will pick up the occasional Pro-V or tp5 to save for the days when my driver is really working well, cost is a factor to me. Bridgestone E6 has been my ball for several years. Over the past 2 years I have been changing over to the Volvik Vimax- - also soft. With the matte finish, it seems to grab the green better. That also may start by grabbing the grooves on the wedge first. Just play what you like and have fun!

Randjf

Play Pro V1 and 1x. The 1x is a good ball but inconsistent chipping around the greens for me. As for price, right now I have a shoe box full of found Pro V1 and 1X so they cost me nothing.

If I had to buy balls, I would go with Vice Pro Plus. Slots right in to my game, ie, plays the same for me as Pro V.

Have tried literally dozens of different balls that I find. My observations:

TP5 and 5x just not long enough off my driver. Iron distances about the same. Not as straight.

Bridgestone expensive balls like the B Rx etc. Have nothing against them other than I just wouldn't pay for them. Inexpensive Bridgestones, the E6 and E12 lack feel and require to much change in all aspects of my game to play.

Callaway, and I am a Callaway guy, but they just aren't long enough off the driver. I hope this isn't psychological after reading all the bad press here about their balls and how soft balls don't go as far... Anyway, another player in the group likes them so give them to him. I kind of wish a Chrome X LS would appear under a bush so I could try it.

Haven't found a lot of Maxfli, and I end up giving them away as they don't play well for me. Who knows why? I don't. They have a good rep in these forums.

Srixon, generally like their balls but another regular golf 4some member loves them so he gets all the ones I find. Also all the Kirklands. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I know this is not a popular golf ball among the traditionalist of the forum, but dollar per dollar the Vice Pro+ is as good of a ball for 80 to 85% of players including myself. It is cheap! As much as $29 a dozen (if you buy 5 dozen in bulk) and even on the best struck ball vs a ProV1x there will not be 5 yards difference if that(I have compared for myself over many rounds for my game). Not worth the extra hard earned money from my wallet. Yes cost matters to most golfers even if they will not admit it here!

Although I do also love the Titleist Tour Speed ball to game as well, but still not worth the extra for a ball that I could loss on the next hole anyway.

Jason Phillips 

Last year my  coach suggested I give the Taylormade Tour Response a try.  I've had good luck with it and have no complaints.  Excellent distance and stops on the greens.  What else can you ask for?

WITB - Currently hitting PXG 0211s, irons, driver and putter.  Cleveland wedges.  Love golf, wish I was better at it than I am.  Try to play at least one time a week and get to the range or some other type of practice, putting, chipping a couple times a week.  

49 minutes ago, Russx5 said:

Last year my  coach suggested I give the Taylormade Tour Response a try.  I've had good luck with it and have no complaints.  Excellent distance and stops on the greens.  What else can you ask for?

It was my ball last year.  However the price increase was just to much so I went to the Maxifli tour soft.  Very similar feel.

I think I have found my favorite here recently and that is the Srixon Z Star XV. Always loved the ProV1 but I think the Srizon takes the cake for me.

WITB 2023

Driver- Mizuno STZ-220 

Woods: 3w- PXG 0211, 5w- Mizuno STZ

Utility- PXG GEN5 Driving Iron 20*, Srixon ZX Utility 23*

Irons- Srixon ZX7 6-PW, Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges- Callaway Jaws MD5 50, 54, 58

Putter- Taymorlade Spider S Chalk 

Ball- Srixon Z-Star XV