Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The best ball?

I enjoy playing the Calloway Chrome Soft.  I do think that cost does play a factor in the type ball a lot of us play.  Hard to justify $50 to 60 a dozen for a recreational golfer in my option.  

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver

:callaway-small: Mavrik Three wood

:taylormade-small: M2 Hybrids 3, 4 & 5

:taylormade-small: R7 irons 5 - AW

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

Am a huge fan of the Prov1 and have played it for years.  May have played other Titleist balls; AVX, Prov1x, Prov1X left dash, Prov1 left Dot, but always come back to the Prov1.  The 2023 model is a very penetrating golf ball with great control, bite and distance.  Stocked up with eight dozen.  They ran their promotion buy four dozen for the price of three for a very brief period of time.  I do not mind paying a premium price for a premium ball.  It is like a car, you buy what you choose to afford.  Titleist is my ball of choice as my car of choice, our ultimate driving machine.  Great acceleration on the highway, handles well, the performance is off the charts.  I am retired and am enjoying all these years of hard work.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I haven't found one best ball for me yet but I do have a top 5 list I can give..

• #1 :wilson_staff_small:  Wilson Staff Triad

My current go to golf ball. High flight, good feel with putter, can fade and draw, good stopping power even as far out as 195 yards. Inexpensive (not cheap) price at $39.99 and free logo customization at Wilson's website. Average on distance and looks. No negatives for me.

• #2 :titleist-small: Titleist AVX

The best looking ball I've seen. I like the dimple pattern way more than any other ball I have tested. Straight flying, slightly more driver distance, great feel with putter. The negatives for me are: slightly lower flight, less spin on chips, same price as ProV1.

• #3 :srixon-small: Srixon Z Star

I have never bought a full dozen but I have tested a sleeve of then and I like it so far. Very firm and high spinning (which I like) but the spin has a noticeable affect on driver distance (more backspin = less runout = less total yards). Great price when they're under $40. I'm playing a lot more rounds than last year so I might switch to this to save some dollars.

• #4 :callaway-small: Callaway Chrome Soft

I've only tested a sleeve of these so I will probably buy 2 dozen of these to test this year. But as of right now I like the ball. For me it has been mostly the same as the ProV1 and TP5 with the exception of visual appeal. For the $50 price tag I would choose this because I like the hex dimple look better.

• #5 :taylormade-small::titleist-small: TP5 and Prov1

I'm putting them together because of how similar they seem to me. Not much to be said about them as they are both very good balls, just too expensive for me to use regularly. If I had to pick one it would be the TP5. I get slightly better distance, spin, and feel from it and it has a lower MSRP ($49.99 vs $55.00 for ProV1).

PXGLogo.jpg.0c92800daa172651d766b6819f37e9f9.jpg: 0311 Gen5 - Driver

:adams-small:: Tight Lies - 3W

I need an 18°-19° club.

url(1).jpg.d0326cc5029d710568433f5df6fe1efc.jpg: TS4 - 4-PW

url(1).jpg.d0326cc5029d710568433f5df6fe1efc.jpg: TSW - 50°, 54°,58°

:odyssey-small:: Toulon Design Austin - Putter

I think cost certainly has to be considered, along with skill level and what you are looking for out of a ball.  I love the performance of my Z-Stars, they are right up there in every aspect of the game with any Pro V1 that I find in the woods.  For me and my propensity to lose 2 balls a round, I am happy to save a couple bucks buying Z-Stars as opposed to Pro V1s.  

Other tidbits...I love how fast the Pro V1x feels off the driver, but it just flies a little too high for what I like to see.  Z-Star XV feel similarly as fast off the driver, but that have a little bit too much of a clicky feel to them around the green.  

-Tim

My go to ball was a Bridgestone e6, which I feel was more forgiving and gave great distance. I have not played one of these for a number of years, but now that I am thinking about it I really want to go back to them just to see how they perform against the balls I am using now (Srixon Z-Star and TP5x).  The e6's really don't cost as much now... could be a very good cost to performance value... 

• Driver: default_taylormade-small.jpgM1 450
  • Fairway: default_ping-small.jpg.bba83d4f21432de50efc14846abd81cd.jpg i25 #3W 
  • Rescue: default_ping-small.jpg.bba83d4f21432de50efc14846abd81cd.jpg i15 23 Degree
  • Irons: default_ping-small.jpg.bba83d4f21432de50efc14846abd81cd.jpg G Max (#5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
  • Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52 & 56 Degree
  •                   default_callaway-small.jpg.ae8c01d5b99b318879ce60f833a6e5ed.jpg MD-3 Milled S-Grind 60 Degree 
  •                   default_callaway-small.jpg Mack Daddy M-Grind 64 Degree
  • Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.de8760986d210e135ee954aba8648771.jpg White Hot OG 7 Bird Stroke Lab

3 hours ago, Rhinosparky said:

It was my ball last year.  However the price increase was just to much so I went to the Maxifli tour soft.  Very similar feel.

I was playing the Maxfli and Snell when I switched.  Both are very good. 

WITB - Currently hitting PXG 0211s, irons, driver and putter.  Cleveland wedges.  Love golf, wish I was better at it than I am.  Try to play at least one time a week and get to the range or some other type of practice, putting, chipping a couple times a week.  

I think the pro v is the best performing ball on the market in a close race with the Bridgestone xs. However, the cost is huge and when you hit one of those a little off that is a pretty expensive loss. I have had good luck with the Wilson Duo Soft in the past. It is okay with distance and performs pretty well around the green. 

On 5/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, Sarahanne said:

What is the best ball you’ve used? Do you think cost has an impact on the ball type?

That is such a paradox - the “best” ball I’ve ever used is least premium ball ever - some Wilsons that came in a 24 pack at Walmart on clearance for $2.00 that was marked another 50% off for $1.00 per bag.  They were a two-piece ball that flew like crazy, stopped okay and were not worth $0.05 of search time - actually they were almost impossible to lose.  I eventually did lose most (gave one bag away).  These days I tend to like 3-piece balls - recently gifted about 100 Pro-V1’s w/a few x’s mixed in.  Came from a friend whose boyfriend’s son-in-law is a course pro in Atl.  Long story shorter - they are a mix from early 2000’s thru 2017.  Maybe one of twenty looks like it’s ever been struck. So that’s my best ball these days…

IMG_6857.jpeg

IMG_6858.jpeg

Edited by Willie T

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

8 hours ago, BMDubya said:

This is where it’s at! My favorite ball is the TM TP5x. Was getting a great deal on the previous years, at around $32/$35dz. But then they ran out. I still have several boxes stashed, but I also tested other options, as I knew this day would come to an end. With so many options today, do your own research! I have a buddy, we will go in halves on whatever ball we are wanting to test. 2 sleeves each work out great! Then if you find something you like, you’re all set! The new Maxfli balls are good & at their price point, are very hard to beat. Other DTC companies offer great options as well. With the big OEM’s getting $52/$55dz for their premium offerings, you’re crazy not giving yourself the option of a premium ball, at a cost that pleases you. 

Have a Veteran buddy order from TM its15% off top and sales at times along with free shipping at times, tell them to look in ID me for discounts to a few Golf places but PXP, TM and Callaway are the best I have found

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

I have tried different golf balls from Top Shelf to bargain.  I have had good success with each.  TaylorMade True Response has been a nice surprise.  Cut golf balls are always nice and work really well.  ProV1’s feel great but I think because of price and the fear of losing them….I don’t usually hit them well…so yes price does matter.  

Adams Hybrid Irons, Cleveland wedges 50,53,56,60, Nike Method Putter, Callaway 3 wood, Ping g25 Driver.  

I have been playing Kirkland for a number of years for three (3) reasons; urethane, MGS ball test, cost.  This late Spring I tried a sleeve of Pro V1 (given to me) during an extremely warm spell.  The sleeve lasted two (2) rounds and gave me good results.  It was especially an improvement over Kirkland in distance and height!  When we warm up a bit more here in Masachusetts I’ll try a box of Pro V and keep my fingers crossed.

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

I've used Titleist proV's, tour soft, trufeel, tour speed, velocity, as well as Calloway supersoft, chrome soft, but the ball I prefer to play is OnCore's Elixr. Good performance and feel with a great price point.

:taylormade-small:Taylormade R1 driver (set to 9 degrees)
:taylormade-small: Taylormade SLDR driver 10.5 degrees
:callaway-small: Callaway big bertha 3 wood
:wilson-small: Wilson 5 wood
:taylormade-small:Taylormade Aeoburner irons (5-pw)
:taylormade-small:Taylormade 52 degree wedge
Ping knock-off sand Wedge
Warrior 60 degree wedge
Trutech putter

First off, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll read lots of great tips and thoughts.  Until the past few years, the best ball I used was one that I didn't have to pay for, because I found them.  Current best ball is Maxfli and it is reasonably priced.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

1 hour ago, Yankees802 said:

ProV1’s feel great but I think because of price and the fear of losing them….I don’t usually hit them well…so yes price does matter.  

This is a very interesting point.  Lots of players will grab either a "water ball" or well used version of their preferred balls for shots over water, canyons, etc. where they think there is a chance of losing it.  If players subconsciously (or consciously) worry about losing a high priced ball in play, it could be adversely effecting their game 🤔.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

13 hours ago, Waximus Prime said:

I would not have given the Vice Pro a chance if not for the MGS testing and chart, and I really like the ball.  I'm on my second season playing them, bought 12 dozen at the beginning of this season when they had the 5+1 deal going.  Cost is definitely an issue for me, so I can't say I wouldn't be playing a Titleist if price has no impact on the decision.  Loving the value of the Vice Pro.

I too found myself a big fan of the Vice Pro after initially finding one on my course and giving it a spin. When I read the MSG review I was convinced it’s the best performing ball for $35/dozen. It’s become my daily gamer as well. 

Titleist Tsi3/Ts2 woods and hybrids

Titlesit AP3 irons

Clevland CBX wedges

Taylormade mallet or Odyssey White Hot center shaft putter. Depends on the day

I have played most premium offerings from the big brands, and recently started using the srixon z star xv divide and it’s my new favorite ball to play. I like how firm it is and the divide is amazing for putting. 

Big bird

I usually play the Vice pro soft. It performs well and is inexpensive. I think its a great ball for the price. That being said I just played a round with the Titleist AVX. Really good golf ball for me. I'm going to play a couple of more rounds with it and if it keeps performing like today, I'm going to make the switch. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I don't lose many golf balls so maybe I can justify the cost? I still have half of the 5 dozen Vice balls I bought last year (I played 70 rounds of golf last year). I tried the pro V1s. I hated them. Probably the worst feeling golf ball that I've tried in a long time. Especially putting and chipping. 

What's in the bag.

•  Driver: Titleist TSi3 10° Mitsubishi Tensei AV SFW 55g S Flex.
  • 3W and 5W: Callaway GBB 15° and 18° Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 50g R Flex.
  • 7W: Cobra LTDx 22.5° HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g S Flex.
  • Irons: Titleist 718 CB 3-PW. 2° flat. True Temper AMT Tour White S300.
  • Wedges: Mizuno S23 2° flat. 52° and 58°. Dynamic Gold stiff.
  • Putter: Mizuno M Craft II. Cut to 33" with 13g heel and toe weights.
  • Ball: Titleist AVX.

Best ball hands down, Vice pro plus

61 yr old ICU RN. 51 years ago my dad introduced me to our wonderful game. 
WITB= Cobra Speedzone driver and 3-wood, Callaway Epic hybrids (3&4), 5-gap Cobra King Forged Tec and 54°&58° Cobra MIM wedges, Odyssey o-works 2w, Bridgestone B-RXS balls and Kirkland cabretta glove

I got to play two different test balls last year in the Titleist blind test.  I fell in love with one of the two balls.  Titleist never told us what the balls were.  Many people said the the one I loved was the Pro V1 Left Dot.  It was the straightest ball I have ever played, it was long too.  Around the greens it played like a regular Pro V1.  Sadly the left dot balls are nearly impossible to get.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I used to buy pro V1 and V1x then I couldn't justify the cost, especially at courses that are narrow, and just make losing a ball to easy.  Then I started exploring Vice, OnCore, & more recently Maxfli. I first discovered OnCore Elixir, at the grocery store before they became will known. You can get at $30 when they run sales.  More recently, have been playing the Maxfli Tour, and have been enjoying how they play. Right now I'm experience occasional flyers on approach shots, but I did have a club length with them over Pro V1 and Elixir. 

For now I'm liking the OnCore Elixir, but will see how I feel with the Maxfli after another few more rounds.

On 5/12/2023 at 3:58 PM, ArizonaLogan said:
  • #4 :callaway-small: Callaway Chrome Soft

I've only tested a sleeve of these so I will probably buy 2 dozen of these to test this year. But as of right now I like the ball. For me it has been mostly the same as the ProV1 and TP5 with the exception of visual appeal. For the $50 price tag I would choose this because I like the hex dimple look better.

Buy 3 get 1 free! 🙂

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I was a Prov1 guy for awhile but that didn't last long as the cost really ate me up. I then switched to the Z-Star but even those got expensive.  I have been gaming the Maxfli Tour for about 3 years now and I would not recommend any other ball but Titleist, best bang for your buck and you can get them for $35/doz at any Dick's or GG. I'm a Maxfli truther. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

The newest AVX is turning out to be legit for me. It was the ball that Ping Ballnamic suggested based-on my fitting numbers from my visit to Ping HQ and so far I’m absolutely loving it!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

The newest AVX is turning out to be legit for me. It was the ball that Ping Ballnamic suggested based-on my fitting numbers from my visit to Ping HQ and so far I’m absolutely loving it!!!

AVX is high on my list as well. Just gave great performance over the whole course for me. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I use the Srixon Softfeel and the Maxfli Straightfli. Cost is important and I have a slow swing speed. Can’t wait for the evaluation of the new Kirkland ball from MGS.  

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

On 5/4/2023 at 7:39 AM, Tsecor said:

I still play my 910 D3 driver because i refuse to pay $600/$700 for one club i hit 12 times per round......the prices of drivers are insane and this bubble will have to burst at some point.....are we trending towards $1000 drivers? 

I had the same reaction when shaft prices went above $150.  Now good ones are $350 and I read an article where there is a $1,000 shaft.  Without a head.  

Ball reaches a point where the answer to the question is how much can I afford to leave behind in lost balls?  $50 dozen and I lose 6 my round is $60 green fees and $25 in lost balls.  Currently using Bridgestone D9 Long Distance.  Also use TM Tour Response so my average is in the $30/dozen range.  Both balls work for me from the tee and into the green.

GPS111

1 hour ago, GPS111 said:

I had the same reaction when shaft prices went above $150.  Now good ones are $350 and I read an article where there is a $1,000 shaft.  Without a head.  

Ball reaches a point where the answer to the question is how much can I afford to leave behind in lost balls?  $50 dozen and I lose 6 my round is $60 green fees and $25 in lost balls.  Currently using Bridgestone D9 Long Distance.  Also use TM Tour Response so my average is in the $30/dozen range.  Both balls work for me from the tee and into the green.

Same here. Sometimes I might buy ProV1 "practice" (refurbished) balls that cost about 30€/dozen and while I really like them, I'm not going to pay almost double as I lose to many at the moment.

I've found quite nice budget ball from Srixon Ultisoft. Last year those were 32,90€/two dozen. They might be the same as Softfeel, haven't found anything about them outside of Finnish webshops and sport stores. They feel nice and soft, but have a decent distance in them too.

Yesterday I tried Titleist Velocity as I have a dozen of them (won longest drive in one competition last summer). They felt surprisingly soft too and had a decent spin and distance.

ProV1 is probably still THE ball, but the best bang for buck? That's a difficult question, but not ProV1

WITB: TaylorMade M2 driver (2017), Adams Tightlies 16deg fw, Wilson Staff 21deg hybrid, 4-PW Wilson FG Tour Forged V2 irons, Rommy Armour 52 and 60 deg, Wilson Staff 56deg, Seemore putter.

Starting the 2023 season with a 28.4 HCP. 

... I get it. Marketing and personal preference play a pretty big role in ball choice. That said, I would be willing to bet 99% of members here could not tell the difference between similar balls if they were completely blank and they had no idea what ball they were playing. Similar in any given category like a ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Vice Pro, Snell Black, Z Star, TP5, Wilson Staff or Kirkland V3. Granted ProV1 ranks best in quality and consistency year after year so understandable that some will only play them. But if you play often, there are just so many great balls out there for 1/2 the price and you can buy 4 dozen of the new Kirklands V3's for the price of 1 dozen ProV1's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x