Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Garsen Putter Grip - Quad Tour - 2023 Forum Review

So yesterday was my first day on the course after 4 1/2 months in hip recovery. My hip felt great by the way! So today I used only the Tour gripped putter. I may take 2 on Friday and take 2 putts from same spot. Anyway, stats were decent, I made 32 putts much better than the rest of my round. I only three putted once and 7 of my 2nd putts were 6 inches or less. I was able to have good control and pace, in fact several putts were left hanging on the edge but my shadow didn't make them go in. While my game has a lot of work to get back in shape after not swinging a club for so long, I am thankful for my backyard putting green.

As I mentioned previously I am more of a large grip person but if you want a smaller grip this is good. It does have a great feel and sufficient tackiness without being too much.

Let me know if you have any questions.

:honma: Driver, 3W & 5H

:taylormade-small: P790 4-PW S-Taper S

:benhogan-small: 50, 54, 58

:odyssey-small: 7S

My testing continues. I played a total of three rounds and a couple days at the range (putting green included) plus putting at home. I have now used all three grips in play and for the remainder of my testing I will focus only on the Tour grip. I continue to be happy and impressed with the quality of the Garsen grips. My main point of my review will be based on feel and confidence versus stats. I think in the end the Max may be my grip of choice but I will see how the Tour grows on me over time.

Review Update 5/22

I have played 5 rounds of 9 holes with the Quad Tour and have to the practice green twice, on top of putting at home on a putting mat almost daily. 

I am quite happy with my putting performance over this sample size. I would say I have shaved off a couple putts over the 9 holes, but when playing its hard to tell because there are a lot of factors that go into that (Green speed/difficulty, average distance to hole, etc.) So going for a bit more of an anecdotal here today and can open you all up to some of my thoughts. 

-I have 3 putted twice over the 5 rounds, and both were significantly long to begin with. For context, not so long ago it would be expected for me to have 2-3 3 putts in a round of 18 holes. 

-I am having WAY more 1-putts, and its not because I have developed god-like abilities all of a sudden. 

-In a friendly 2v2 match play last week I made more feet of putts than I ever have. Felt like Cam Smith at The Old Course. Being known as the long-ball hitter of the group, piping one straight down the fairway is cool, but something about hitting multiple long clutch putts is truly transcendent. 

-When practicing I have been setting up with a tee gate drill to work on start line. I generally start with the tees about a putters head wide, and work my way down to just wider than a golf ball. It has been a great drill for me and it really showcases what the grip is supposed to be helping with. 

And now a short break for some pictures,

PXL_20230511_211708806.jpg.ee8d75523da8dbc0c34800a5ad67757d.jpgPXL_20230511_211216296.jpg.6cd5f98aea4cf7a723077e056435f0f0.jpgPXL_20230516_232828686.jpg.aed333c0eb1b53a08479a16d46b61a41.jpgPXL_20230509_235712913(2).jpg.e9e8625746fadb20150f882ff25e567a.jpg

(He's practicing on a recently punched green and a pic of putting from off the green?? What is this amateur hour??) Yeah, yeah whatever

And we're back.

The grip has definitely proven itself to me at this point. As I have mentioned in an earlier post, the ability to get a solid grasp on the club and it squaring up the face automatically really then allows me to focus solely on pace. And the less I have to think about when putting is always a good thing. It's definitely a slim grip. I have the non-tapered version and it is still a bit skinny for my taste. I am 6'6", former basketball player so have some big hands and a non-traditional grip as you can see above, I like to grip the club with my hands almost next to each other, and there is juuussstttt enough room for me to use that style. I think the material feels very nice, tackiness is good and overall adds a premium look to the club. I have noticed that on the day I played in the warmest temperatures some sweaty hands did make it feel a bit slippery. It made me think playing back in those super hot and humid North Carolina summer rounds if it would be a problem or not. I have gotten positive feedback from playing partners on it when I ask them (if you want unsolicited comments don't go for the black grip on the all black putter, I'm hoping my bright green Ultimate grip might change things)

I plan on installing the Ultimate grip on a different putter today and playing with that tomorrow to get a little bit of compare and contrast for a future update. Feel free to fire any questions at me!

WITB:

Driver: PING G400

3W: Ping G400

3 Utility Iron: Ping G410

5-GW: Cobra Forged Tec (2020) KBS $-Taper 125 x-stiff shafts (Club Champion fitting)

Wedges: 52,56,60 (mixed)

P: Cleveland Frontline 8.0 Wide blade

HCP: 11

Just ordered one to replace my old gravity grip on my backup ER5. ER5 is slowly making its way from backup to gamer, but that's for another thread

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Recently purchased a Cleveland HB Soft #3 Slant. I have a pretty sizable arc in my swing. The grip it comes with is a flat front, but quite rubbery (see below). The putter felt good but missing feel. I put on the tapered quad core. First point is that I use a funky cross grip, for which having consistent palm location is helpful. The 4 sided grip helps a lot with that. Like everyone said, it’s a nice tacky feel. The biggest difference for me is responsiveness and overall feel. The putter is still soft, but getting better feedback when off center. Distance control is therefore improved. Will update after a few rounds but so far so good. Other notes are the grip is notably lighter than its predecessor, and the tapered one I put on is still reasonably sized, so do not expect an oversized feel. Only addition that would help is more markings or something near the taper so that there is a reference point for hand placement vertically. CG22-Clubs-CG-HBSOFT-Satin-3-7.jpeg

• Tour Edge C721 Driver and 3 Wood
  • Titelist Hybrid tsi2 3,4
  • Taylormade Stealth Irons
  • Cleveland CBX2 Wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft #3 Slant Putter

Ongoing testing: I am getting along quite well with the Quad Tour! While the tackiness is great (and the thing most commented on by others), the shape is what's rocking my world. However, I'm still recovering from an ill advised super long putt drill (the Harmon "fringe to fringe" drill) that messed up my feel for distance. After doing it I was first blowing everything on the course well past, then I got tentative and started leaving everything well short. I'm really surprised and bummed at how long it's taking me to get over this. I hope to get out this afternoon, and if I can't get on the course I'll at least spend some time on the practice green.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Another couple days of backyard putting. The shape continues to promote consistent hand placement. One curious result is a subsequent urge to try many different hand positions. The edge-supported repeatability becomes an open ended rabbit hole of hand tweaks. Landed on one yesterday that resulted in  4 straight 15 footers, from different starting points (typically hit 1 or 2 out of 4). Had to write down a description of placement to remember. Got on this morning and hit 3 out of 4, from around the same distance. Next is more on course testing and feel with different compression balls (I have done pro v1, and pro v1x, but will also try AVX, and left dash). 

• Cleveland CBX2 Wedges

Last post on this grip.  Will keep the quad as my grip going forward on the Cleveland blade putter. Tried it with 4 titelist balls (AVX, pro v1, pro v1x, left dash) for 3 hours on the putting green. Lag putting was strong across the board and fairly consistent. Found that had more consistent success with everything but the left dash (which was still good) but that’s probably related to me as the user. Ultimately I think a good grip for those needing consistent hand placement, with predilection for regular-sized (not oversized), more feel oriented grips. Avoid if you like bigger, more dampened, marshmallow-type grips. I have not tried the other Garsen grips (not an official reviewer) but saw some at the store and avoided mostly due to size. Last note: I wear size s/m gloves depending on brand. I am not sure what the experience would be at XL. 

• Cleveland CBX2 Wedges

3 minutes ago, Vujade said:

Last post on this grip.  Will keep the quad as my grip going forward on the Cleveland blade putter. Tried it with 4 titelist balls (AVX, pro v1, pro v1x, left dash) for 3 hours on the putting green. Lag putting was strong across the board and fairly consistent. Found that had more consistent success with everything but the left dash (which was still good) but that’s probably related to me as the user. Ultimately I think a good grip for those needing consistent hand placement, with predilection for regular-sized (not oversized), more feel oriented grips. Avoid if you like bigger, more dampened, marshmallow-type grips. I have not tried the other Garsen grips (not an official reviewer) but saw some at the store and avoided mostly due to size. Last note: I wear size s/m gloves depending on brand. I am not sure what the experience would be at XL. 

Nice write-up.

I’m currently testing the MAX.  Garsen was nice enough to send us the MAX, Ultimate, and Quad Tour, so I opted to put the Quad Tour on my Scotty Cameron blade. I wear an XL glove and I have to say I love this grip on that putter. The shape of the grip feels like it allows me to keep the face square through impact. This was an issue with the super stroke that I had on it previously and contributed to me moving to a mallet style putter last season. The quad tour has me reconsidering the Scotty as my gamer and I love that.

WITB:

D: TBD ??? 🤔

3w: :callaway-small: Paradym ♦️♦️♦️15° Hzrdus 6.0

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

4u:   :titleist-small:  T200 Utility Build 24° Hzrdus 6.0

5i:  :titleist-small: T200 25° Recoil 110 f4

6i-PW: :srixon-small: Z 765 28°-46° N.S Pro 1050 gh S

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: Toulon Designs Atlanta

Ball:  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Bag:  Jones Trouper R stand bag 

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

3 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Nice write-up.

I’m currently testing the MAX.  Garsen was nice enough to send us the MAX, Ultimate, and Quad Tour, so I opted to put the Quad Tour on my Scotty Cameron blade. I wear an XL glove and I have to say I love this grip on that putter. The shape of the grip feels like it allows me to keep the face square through impact. This was an issue with the super stroke that I had on it previously and contributed to me moving to a mallet style putter last season. The quad tour has me reconsidering the Scotty as my gamer and I love that.

Great to hear. I have a couple other old putters (2 Cure and a Taylormade Spider mallet) am considering putting the quad on the mallet, but will play the blade the next 10-20 rounds to see how it goes as the weather gets warmer. Would be curious if anyone tried the pistol quad.

• Cleveland CBX2 Wedges

3 minutes ago, Vujade said:

Great to hear. I have a couple other old putters (2 Cure and a Taylormade Spider mallet) am considering putting the quad on the mallet, but will play the blade the next 10-20 rounds to see how it goes as the weather gets warmer. Would be curious if anyone tried the pistol quad.

To my knowledge the Quad Tour was offered to us in a tapered and non-tapered version, but not a pistol style. I went tapered. 

If you do put the Quad on a mallet, be sure to let us know how you liked it. 

WITB:

D: TBD ??? 🤔

3w: :callaway-small: Paradym ♦️♦️♦️15° Hzrdus 6.0

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

4u:   :titleist-small:  T200 Utility Build 24° Hzrdus 6.0

5i:  :titleist-small: T200 25° Recoil 110 f4

6i-PW: :srixon-small: Z 765 28°-46° N.S Pro 1050 gh S

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: Toulon Designs Atlanta

Ball:  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Bag:  Jones Trouper R stand bag 

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

48 minutes ago, Vujade said:

It wasn’t an option or I would’ve chosen that. I also chose the tapered to compare the skinny feel to the larger feels. 

I thought last post, but here is one more. I noted the grip was tacky, and that’s still true. However as temps heated up and hands got a bit sweaty, it’s less tacky, and can be slick if wet. Not a big issue, and keeping the grip, but notably slicker in hot weather.

To reiterate a point, a very good grip if you are still tinkering with hand placement. Also, more solid and consistent feel if not gripping too hard. May be common knowledge, but I hadn’t noticed that with my other grips in the past which were a bit softer.

Edited by Vujade
  • Cleveland CBX2 Wedges

On 6/1/2023 at 8:13 PM, Vujade said:

However as temps heated up and hands got a bit sweaty, it’s less tacky, and can be slick if wet. Not a big issue, and keeping the grip, but notably slicker in hot weather.

Don't want to step on my final review too much, but I do agree with this from my play as well. Because of the shape it still feels like you can keep a grip on it though. 

WITB:

Driver: PING G400

3W: Ping G400

3 Utility Iron: Ping G410

5-GW: Cobra Forged Tec (2020) KBS $-Taper 125 x-stiff shafts (Club Champion fitting)

Wedges: 52,56,60 (mixed)

P: Cleveland Frontline 8.0 Wide blade

HCP: 11

• 1 month later...

Wow!

That's all that I can say about the performance of the Quad Tour grip on my old Voodoo Daddy putter.  I will be honest and say that when we received these grips and were asked to review the two we weren't selected for latter on down the line that this is the one I was least excited about.  That's why I had it installed on a putter I haven't touched in 7 years.  It replaced a leather mid sized grip that I received when I was the MGS MOM.  If you don't know what that was - it was the Member of the Month.  I can't recall when we did away with that award but it was quite an honor.

As soon as the Quad Tour was installed I could tell that it was better than I had bargained for.

IMG_2801.jpg.c4bf877f2f8c0faeccc5e3b979dfd663.jpg

As you can see it is classic, very simple, understated and different from the other two Garsen grips that we were given to test.  For me it promotes the pistol grip that I used to putt quite well with.  I've been having trouble pulling putts lately, particularly longer ones.  I felt very solid with this putter/grip combo.  I should add that while the Voodoo Daddy was a bargain basket special I took it to my fitter who cut it down and did some counter weighting for me.  I've made lots of putts with this putter and we picked right up where we left off together when I was selected for the first MGS Evnroll test a number of years back.

I wanted to take one last opportunity to thank Garsen golf and MGS for this great opportunity.  It was fun and enlightening.  I'd also like to remind anyone popping in on this review that a $30 grip is a great place to refresh your putter and your putting, a lot better than a $300 plus putter, that's for certain. 

IMG_2803.jpg.d353035c227aaccb49ad42228673fbac.jpg

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Garsen Putter Grip - Quad Tour - 2023 Forum Review

Love the Quad Tour Tapered on my Squareback 1.5, really helps me keep my hands in a consistent position and have the putter square up to the ball. 

If I had a mallet with less toe hang I'd put a Quad Tour Non-Tapered on it in a heartbeat (over a Lamkin sink fit PU or Superstroke pistol for example).

Driver: PXG Gen 5 0311 9º (TENSEI AV RAW White 75 Stiff)

3W: PXG Gen 5 0311XF 16º (HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted 75 Stiff)

3H/4H: Ping G425 19º/22º (Alta CB 70 Slate Stiff)

5 Iron to GW: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal (Dynamic Gold S300)

SW/LW: Mizuno JPX921 54º/59º (Nippon Pro Modus Tour 105 Wedgeflex)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus4 Midsize (woods, hybrids), Golf Pride MCC Plus4 Midsize (irons, wedges), Garsen QUAD TOUR Tapered (putter)

https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guide/garsen-quad-tour-putter-grip-review/

Recap posted on the main site! Thank you testers for taking part!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)