TESTERS WANTED! ×

Garsen Putter Grip - MAX - 2023 Forum Review

My name is Chris.  I go by Caddie1966 on the MGS forum.  As a baseball obsessed 12 year old my exposure to golf was to chase down balls hit OB at a muni by my house and sell them back to the players who hit them out.  In April of 1966, I hitchhiked 15 miles for the first time to and from a private course and started caddying on Saturday and Sunday.  When school ended for summer, I hitched a ride 7 days a week; caddying Tuesday through Sunday, often 36/day and played 36-54 with the other caddies each Monday from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.  I fell in love with Golf back then and have been infatuated ever since.

Like Danny Noonan from Caddyshack, I focused on earning an Evans Scholarship so I could attend college.  Unlike Danny, I did earn the scholarship to Michigan State where I briefly continued my baseball career.  After my freshman year, pro baseball was not in the cards, so I played ball only in the summer, studied harder and played more golf.

I introduced my wife to Golf shortly after we married in 1974.  49 years later, she still plays and enjoys new courses as we travel the US.  We moved to Texas in 1994 where I taught my daughters to play well enough that they both played on HS teams that qualified for the State Championship.  I am now teaching my youngest Grandson to play.  I play to an index of 8 now as a 70 year old but was as low as 3.7 in my late 40s.  I retired in 2017 and play 3-4 times each week and walk 120+ rounds each year in North Texas.  

Putting has always been my Achilles heel. Over the past few years, I have developed the Yips inside 10 feet.  My fault is right hand and right elbow breakdown on short putts.  I have been a conventional grip guy for almost 60 years and have NEVER stroked a putt with anything else.  My average putts per round have increased from 29 or 1.6 to 32.5 putts or 1.8 per hole in the past 3 years.  My birdie count has dropped significantly from over 1.3 per round in 2020 to 1.15 in 2021 to .925 in 2022.  This decline is primarily due to putting inside 10 feet. 3 putts have gone from 5% to 7% in that same stretch.  

My selection to test the Garsen MAX came the same day I had scheduled a switch to a super soft oversize at my proshop. Serendipity?  The only exposure I had to Garsen prior to this test was checking out Tony Finau’s bright green grip with his logo during the Dell WGC this year and learning that Garsen had quite a few wins on the PGA and LPGA tours.  I did not focus on the three grip selections, as I wasn’t considering a grip change until very recently.  

I am changing my gamer, an Odyssey EXO7 to the Garsen MAX.  I want to see if my hand and elbow integrity improves with this new grip.   I am going to have the new grip installed with air so I can swap out to the Ultimate and QUAD Tour without cutting the grips off.  I’ve been a stats guy since I collected baseball cards as a kid.  I plan to log my results with the current EXO7 grip and the MAX as follows:

5 rounds each at my home track, pacing off each putt and logging makes, misses, break direction and short, left or right on the misses.  Home putting mat performance from 4 and 8 feet. Putting green testing from 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 feet, logging the same as I do during the rounds I play. Reducing my average putts from 32 and making more inside 10 feet while improving my hand and arm integrity will assure the Garsen MAX stays in the bag.

Garsen MAX Putter Review

Thank you very much to MGS and to Garsen Golf for the opportunity to review the Garsen MAX putter grip.  This is the first opportunity I have had to review any products through the MGS Forum since I joined in October 2021.  Admittedly, I didn’t finish my profile until mid last year so I feel fortunate to be testing within a few months of completing my profile and becoming qualified to be a tester.  

I was pumped to be chosen for the Garsen MAX putter grip test as I had just decided to switch to an oversized putter grip.  The timing was perfect for me.

One of the tag lines on the Garsen Golf website for the MAX is “The fastest way to make more putts.”  Others include: “Innovation with a twist.” “This simple, yet effective, grip innovation is the fastest way to immediately improve your putting.”

I was intrigued to say the least. 

Unboxing: (6 of 10)

After a quick email exchange with Kyle from Garsen Golf to choose colors and arrange delivery, Garsen sent a package of three different putter grips.  The Quad TOUR, The Ultimate and The MAX arrived on May 9th in a simple packing envelope with a nice letter from Bernard Garsen, President, CEO and Founder of Garsen Golf along with two Garsen Putter Grip stickers.  Each grip was wrapped in cellophane and delivered in the colors I requested. 

The Quad Tour comes in Black in either tapered or non-tapered.  I selected the tapered version.  I’m a Michigan State alum so I had to choose Green for The Ultimate.  The Ultimate also comes in Black or Blue.  The Max is available in White, Blue or Red. I chose the Red as it also has Black Chevrons and White lettering.  These are the colors of my two grandsons middle school teams.  My review is focused on The MAX  but I will install each of the others later this month and submit individual reviews of The Quad TOUR and The Ultimate later this summer. 

A8DEBA69-3EB3-4710-BAD1-EF90C9DE6CA4.jpeg

First Impressions (18 of 20)

The Garsen MAX has alternating Red and Black Chevron style markings that appear to help with hand alignment.  The MAX is standard length and is oversized but not massively so. The most obvious difference on the MAX from other putter grips is it’s RIB which extends top to bottom and bisects the left and right sides of the grip.   I liked the looks  and the initial feel of the MAX but was very curious as to how it would feel on my putter and if the RIB would be helpful or would it hinder my putting grip and putting stroke.  

Aesthetics (10 of 10)

To say the Garsen MAX grip is unique is an understatement.  The RIB grabbed my attention immediately as it extends right down the centerline of the grip.  The White MAX logo is on either side of the RIB just below the very top of the grip.  The Garsen logo is located in the bottom third on the left side of the RIB.  Black and Red Chevrons separate the Red lower section from the Black upper section.  These Chevrons aid in hand placement as I will discuss further.  To quote Billy Crystal, BC31348E-FA84-4D41-883E-46BD52DAD349.gif.ee33d752349e183d7ea2fdf0f2087631.gif

F83B9B3B-6465-4124-83F0-F648B4C7D937.jpeg.146f12911a3c4b834dba8d53a367c49c.jpeg

Installation

I elected to replace the original Odyssey EXO7 pistol grip on my gamer with the Garsen MAX.  The install could not have gone smoother. After removing the old grip and cleaning the shaft up, I used a small amount of mineral spirits and slid the MAX on with no issue until it was halfway on.  At that point, I pushed a bit harder and it was done. Easy please, Lemon Sqeezy.C4E7B5B9-F4CD-42FB-BFE8-884834B7BE2F.jpeg.3c598c77ec51fbf99e978b84fc7f5bc2.jpeg

Feel

Garsen MAX feels tacky but not so tacky that you would cringe like you would if you saw me wearing some of the outfits that Ian Poulter wears.  I’m a light grip pressure putter and the feel of the MAX is about as perfect for me as it gets.  The MAX is solid but not hard, soft yet substantial.  The material is High Tech PUI so it’s like having no slip traction on the grip.  Being a guy who NEVER even practiced with anything other than a pistol grip in 58 years of playing, I initially wondered if the MAX was something I should even try as the grip fit my hands in a much different way than my pistol grip.

RIB

The most unusual element of the MAX technology is the RIB. The RIB extends top to bottom and is visible while gripping the putter. Although it’s noticeable, I was surprised that the RIB was not a distraction, rather I found it to be a guide to hand placement.  
My hands fit on the sides of the RIB and I align my left thumb with the Black Chevron and the pad of my right thumb to the right side of that same Chevron.  The MAX enables me to put a bit of pressure on the grip with my thumbs enabling me to keep my wrists in a more “locked and upright position” to quote every flight attendant I ever flew with.  

Taper

MAX has a slight taper of approximately one quarter inch from top to bottom.  

Tale of the Tape

Garsen MAX              Odyssey Pistol

Diameter   1.5 inches                  1.0 inch                        
Length       10.25 inches             10 inches                 
Weight       55 grams                   69 grams                
Core Size   .600                           .580

My History

I have struggled through the putting YIPs for the past 2 + years.  I don’t freeze over the putt, my right hand and elbow simply flare out during my through stroke.  This results in putts being pulled wildly left, shoved way right and often stopping woefully short as a my putter face contact is inconsistent.  I also lose my posture during these YIPs and sometimes, even my lower body moves.  I have no idea when this will occur so it’s not something I can wait out or take a few extra practice strokes to alleviate.  The YIPs seemed to occur 2-3 times a round, resulting in 3 and sometimes 4 putt greens.  I would do this on 2-50 foot putts.  It’s a terrible thing.  

I tried left hand low, changing putters, pencil grip, even a long putter.  Nothing worked.  What I had not done was change putter grips. That’s why when the opportunity to review the Garsen MAX came along, I jumped in.  

The Garsen Golf website stases:

“…the MAX  places your hands in a position so the palms are in a neutral position.  It turns your elbows into your body and sets your shoulders back.  This relieves arm and shoulder tension, inhibits wrist action which takes “the hands out of putting” and promotes shoulder rotation creating a solid putting stroke which will give you a one-piece feel, leading to a more consistent stroke.”

I WANT THAT!!!!!!!!⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️
My pistol grip 

FC441914-246F-4121-AFBE-7083AA4FC6CD.jpeg.fbaffeb73bb8fbd52f49785063654e69.jpeg

My MAX grip

1A170A7F-2891-4F19-9853-B5E4B94346BE.jpeg.e877d4a1ba10d6d5833f8ef923825fcb.jpeg

The Numbers and My Testing (20 of 20)

My 2022 GHIN putting stats

E8BEF651-AA3B-4680-A21D-4E3AF693A000.jpeg.72580507850426de435572efd486f0ef.jpeg

My 2023 GHIN putting stats YTD

172CB751-619D-4E85-9FC1-D7D8A1B5EBB4.jpeg.f12d22d89bef210218908e19642fe1fe.jpeg

The YTD putting stats were prior to my testing efforts.

As I began to think of how to evaluate and review a putter grip change, I settled on trying to find comparable tests to evaluate both on and off course. Would I see if the Garsen MAX lived up to the tag line of “The fastest way to make more putts.”? 

My approach was to evaluate on 3 different tests with a large enough sample size to convince myself that the results were real where each test was a fair evaluation and not subject to a halo effect of trying something new and wanting it to be better.

Test 1

Indoor testing was done using my 9 foot putting mat and a perfect putt target consisting of 60 putts from 5 feet and 60 putts from 8 feet for both the Pistol and MAX grips.  I completed 10 each at a time from each distance with a 5 minute break in between to reduce the likelihood of being in a groove. So this test was 120 putts for each grip.

05867085-6336-4F5B-BDE4-E567866EFAD1.jpeg.fa5b0bd4c15e8194a4e69acbabbb2da8.jpeg

My make rate indoors combined from 5 and 8 feet using the pistol grip was 54%.  I made 65 of 120 attempts and missed primarily due to pulled putts going left.  I left 8% short from 8 feet. 

My make rate indoors combined from 5 and 8 feet using the Garsen MAX was 78%.  I made 94 of 120 attempts and  my misses were split equally left and right.  I left 0 of the 120 putts short using the MAX.

These results were quite surprising as I made nearly 30 more putts with the MAX, an increase of 45%.  
7FEB4AB2-0D7A-49E3-8EA5-EC2C1379DBB7.jpeg.9265044e456d8a52656848be523ed0cc.jpeg

Test 2

Outdoor testing was on the putting green at my home course, Denton  Country Club.  I putted early a.m. to assure no disruptions due to other players using the practice green.  I putted 60 putts with each grip installed.  12 putts from distances of 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 feet for a total of 120 putts.  These putts were as straight as I could find.  All were uphill slightly and the STIMP readings for these days was 10.5.

66471795-9C00-409C-9847-257CBC4554C1.jpeg.65b99cda815a196a0e4081dbea51ed28.jpeg

Test 2 was more challenging as the distances increased and lines varied more than indoors. It was difficult finding straight putts over 15 feet on DCC’s relatively small practice green.

My make rate with the Odyssey grip outdoors was 35% across all distances combined while my make rate with the Garsen Max was 52% for the same distances.
While similar at under 10 feet, my make rate over 10 feet with the MAX was double that of the Odyssey: 21 Vs. 11.  

My short misses with the Odyssey we’re nearly double the MAX short misses: 11 to 7.  I kept the putts more to the high side of the hole with the MAX which positively increased my make rate. 

124665DA-D89F-4360-88C9-A5FD65DF9B30.jpeg.5a6536d3c0dd28b7a8e6ec14b20f0d8d.jpeg

3C4E0875-220F-44AC-827B-ACCD68C20B79.jpeg.41720f39f508803c975d374b38511eb8.jpeg

My GHIN numbers for 2022 and 2023 YTD pre MAX testing are summarized as follows:

115 rounds 32.8 ppr 23% 1 putt, 72% 2 putt, 5% 3+  

45 rounds 32.5 ppr 26% 1 putt, 67% 2 putt, 7% 3+

Test 3 (20 of 20) 

On  course testing.  Where the rubber meets the road. Where the chickens come home to roost.  

I played 5 rounds with each grip at my home track and walked off every putt I had during those rounds, no gimmies.  I recorded the distances on the scorecard for every putt so I noted each putt on each hole and total feet of putts per hole.  I also recorded low, high and short.  

So how did I do and more importantly, how did the Garsen MAX do vs. the Odyssey pistol grip?

Odyssey

Round 1      33 putts                                                            
Round 2     34 putts                                                                
Round 3     34 putts                                                                 
Round 4     31 putts                                                                    
Round 5     32 putts                                                                     
Total          164 putts                                                              
Average   32.8 putts                                  

Avg 1 putt: 3.0 2 putt: 12.4. 3 putt 2.6     
Proximity to hole on 1st putt: 14.3 feet.  
Range 1-45 feet    
Pretty much like I have putted for the past 2+ years.

MAX

Round 1       27 putts                                                        
Round 2      29 putts                                                      
Round 3      30 putts                                                       
Round 4      26 putts (lowest 18 hole putt count ever)    
Round 5      33 putts (12 first putts over 22 feet)           
Total          145 putts                                                         
Average      29 putts

Avg 1 putt: 6.8, Avg 2 putt: 7.6 Avg 3 putt: 0.8          
Proximity to hole on 1st putt: 14.9 feet.  
Range 2-65 feet

Results

Garsen MAX out performed the Odyssey pistol grip by a wide margin

1 putts rose from 15 to 34 in 5 rounds                                
3 putts dropped from 13 to 4 in 5 rounds

Strokes Gained Putting                                                                  
In 5 rounds I gained 3.8 strokes putting using the Garsen MAX putter grip.  My total YIPs in 5 rounds with the Odyssey was 9.  I had a single YIP with the MAX in round 1 and none thereafter. Two of my four 3 putts with the MAX came in round 5 where my 1st putts were 42 and 65 feet from the flag.

How do I explain this improvement? My PUTTING grip changed with the PUTTER grip.  The statements on the Garsen Golf website rang true for me:

My hands are on the side of the putter.                                  
My palms face each other.                                                      
My wrists are more neutral.                                                     
My elbows are closer to my body.                                            
My shoulders are back.                                                            
My shoulder rotation is more consistent.                              
My distance control is better.

Simply put, I hit more solid putts.  My putter head sits more level to the ground as the grip changes have me more upright and closer to the ball. I make better contact closer to the sweet-spot.  My misses are closer to the hole.  More putts are getting to the hole and more putts are on the high side.  

The Garsen MAX, specifically the RIB and the oversize technologies completely changed my technique and stroke for the better.  The new technique has resulted in better outcomes.  The better outcomes have led to higher confidence.  

The Garsen MAX grip has been shockingly positive for me and has far exceeded any expectations I might have had.

Will the MAX stay in the bag? (20 of 20)

Absolutely yes!  
Let me quote Eric Clapton, my favorite artist of all time:  “It’s in the way that you use it.  Boy don’t you know.  Don’t you ever confuse it. Don’t let it go.”  

The MAX has found a home in my bag and will be tough to remove.  

When I joined MGS I listed my strength as Driving the ball.  I am still a strong driver.  However I don’t believe any driver can improve my game by 3.8 strokes gained.  If I had the MAX in my bag and with these results when I joined MGS I would have proudly claimed putting as my biggest strength.

Overall  (94 of 100)

C89D65DE-67F6-447F-80B7-15BE0A372A8B.jpeg

DD316E2A-2397-4CE7-804B-BA7733CFB8BA.jpeg

Edited by Caddie1966
Final Review

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

I learned “soft hands” around the green and a decent putting stroke playing golf in southern New England in the 70s-80s.  Had I been smart enough to listen to coaches when I was a kid who knows where my game could have become; I may have even qualified to play for a community college or maybe the Bob’s Big Boy Tour 🤣. I’ve been playing primarily in WA State for the last couple of decades and my handicap has ranged from a low of 4 a couple of years back, to currently in the mid-7s.  I’d been gaming a Callaway BJ-1, what I thought would be my forever putter, since around 1988.  But, an equipment upgrade a couple of years ago got me thinking maybe I should “do a little something” with my putter too (yeah I know, don’t fix what ain’t broke right).

I’ve pretty much always used the same set-up and putting stroke; standard grip, slightly open stance, ball off the front heel, straight back and through; I feel like this set up allows me to come straight back and through the ball best and see the line.  I admit to some bias when I started my putter search, 1. Had to be a blade, and 2. Big grips were more of a gimmick than a potential benefit.  Enter the Evnroll ER2 and of course, a larger grip.  DAMN! There might just be something to this large grip thing (ironically, I have been playing oversize grips on all my clubs for quite a while).

I have no background with Garsen and other than my former bias against large putter grips I have no bias for or against the company or the product; my interest is in improving my game; Ummm…I might be a little competitive.  So, why did Garsen pique my interest?  I didn’t pay too much attention to the couple of articles I’d seen until I received an email offer for all three grips for $79 a couple of weeks past.  Hmmm…three?  Why three?  Does golf ever stop costing more $$? WAIT!  Is that grip really DIAMOND shaped???  Hmmm, that looks like it might be comfortable.  Life took over and I missed the window for that deal; then the MGS opportunity popped up; serendipity???

Garsen claims the Max grip creates a much more biomechanically efficient position for the putting stroke.  One reviewer mentioned that the Quad, “promoted a flat left wrist and square contact,” which might end up fitting my grip and putting style better than the Max, but the Max is my initial focus.  By Shot Scope and an App I use I average 1.8 putts per round.  The goal to keep the Max, or one of the others, is 1.6 or better and no 3 putts.  But, if it feels better and promotes consistent hand position, it still stands a chance.

I bought another ER2 for testing.  I plan to start comparing feel between my current Evnroll Gravity Grip and the Garsen MAX.  From there testing on my Birdie Ball mat, then to the course.  Can’t wait to get started! 

Grip1.jpg

Grip2.jpg

Screenshot_20230506_071712_Shot Scope.jpg

tempFileForShare_20230506-072042.jpg

Edited by Subdiver1
  • Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

Huge congrats, now the fun begins!

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg LINK.1 34"
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Testers Announced for MAX Putter grip from Garsen!

“Innovation, with a Twist”

The Garsen MAX grip features the most substantial innovation in putter grip technology in the history of golf. By using a square grip with a 45% rotation, the “front” of the grip now becomes an angled area perfectly fitting the players’ grip and creating a much more biomechanically efficient position for the putting stroke. This simple, yet highly effective, grip innovation is the fastest way to immediately improve your putting.

image.png

Please welcome and congratulate our 4 testers for this grip!

@Blueberry_Squishie
@Caddie1966
@Subdiver1
@Ben Joest

These testers will be doing their main review on this product, but will be receiving all 3 of the grips from Garsen!

Way to go gents! Let us know how these perform!

My bag consists of

Odyssey Backstryke D.A.R.T. Putter

Calloway Diablo Habanero Driver 9.5

PING eye 2 Irons (4-PW)

Nicklaus ATW 3 HYBRID

King Cobra 3 wood

King Cobra 5 wood

Sand wedge

Lob wedge

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Testers Announced for MAX Putter grip from Garsen!

“Innovation, with a Twist”

The Garsen MAX grip features the most substantial innovation in putter grip technology in the history of golf. By using a square grip with a 45% rotation, the “front” of the grip now becomes an angled area perfectly fitting the players’ grip and creating a much more biomechanically efficient position for the putting stroke. This simple, yet highly effective, grip innovation is the fastest way to immediately improve your putting.

image.png

Please welcome and congratulate our 4 testers for this grip!

@Blueberry_Squishie
@Caddie1966
@Subdiver1
@Ben Joest

These testers will be doing their main review on this product, but will be receiving all 3 of the grips from Garsen!

Congrats testers 

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Congrats testers! 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Congratulations

@Blueberry_Squishie
@Caddie1966
@Subdiver1
@Ben Joest

Looking forward to your testing and results!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

It is an honor to be selected for this test. I appreciate the faith that is being placed on a relatively new face and I can’t wait to get started! Let’s Go!!!!

Big congrats to my fellow testers!

WITB:

D: TBD ??? 🤔

3w: :callaway-small: Paradym ♦️♦️♦️15° Hzrdus 6.0

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

4u:   :titleist-small:  T200 Utility Build 24° Hzrdus 6.0

5i:  :titleist-small: T200 25° Recoil 110 f4

6i-PW: :srixon-small: Z 765 28°-46° N.S Pro 1050 gh S

50°:   :vokey-small:SM-8 

54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: Toulon Designs Atlanta

Ball:  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Bag:  Jones Trouper R stand bag 

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Congratulations testers!

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Congratulations Testers!! ⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

having done something similar to this with a SS2 from Superstroke back in the day, I wonder how our testers will appreciate the new feel. Can't wait to see how it works for everyone!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Excited to be included and to get started on the testing process. I’ve been a conventional putting grip guy all my life so this should be fun.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

Just posted my introduction. I also got my grips in the mail so will be getting the Max installed this week and will share my first impressions soon.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

I have added my unboxing photos and some initial thoughts/photos. This is gonna be fun!

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

43 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Which of the grips is closest to the original grip on the Evnroll in your opinion?  

In terms of shape, I think the Quad Tour. However in terms of size it would be the Ultimate. Neither is a close match. Also, it should be noted that I didn’t care for the Evnroll OEM grip and removed it for a super stroke after a month, so my memory of it is a little hazy.

WITB:

34 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

In terms of shape, I think the Quad Tour. However in terms of size it would be the Ultimate. Neither is a close match. Also, it should be noted that I didn’t care for the Evnroll OEM grip and removed it for a super stroke after a month, so my memory of it is a little hazy.

Thanks.  Just realized I quoted the wrong post.  Meant to tag @Subdiver1 as he had the evnroll in his intro pics.

Update 2

The Max is mounted.

Observations:

1. Air removal of the Enroll grip was not exactly "easy."  This was my first time using air so there may be a slight learning curve here 🙄.  Locked the shaft into my work bench vice using shaft block.  Then ran the air compressor up and set it for <30 psi output.  Puff-pull didn't work; blast-pull wasn't working either... 🤔  puff-twist, puff-twist, puff-twist and I started to see the butt end move so I kept that up until lo and behold, a little patience goes a long way and the old grip was off 🥳

Removed the tape and thought, "The install should be easy."  Yeah, not so much.  A bit of solvent and some elbow grease and ready to go.  I learned a while back regripping my irons that putting a center mark on the shaft is a good idea.  Makes alignment a lot easier than starting from the head and working back. Yes, I can learn; I have the bruises, bumps and scars as historical record.

2. The Max is a bit shorter than the OEM grip.  Considering my set-up I don't see this as a physical issue, but it could be a bit strange at first because of how much grip I am used to having below my trailing hand.

3.  After several hours of consultation with 4 rocket scientists and a quantum mathematician it was determined that the feel of the Garden is "different" from the OEM grip.  This was quantified through a very complicated algorithm that they were able to develop using Einsteinian theories and Quantum Physics; unfortunately they forced me to sign and NDA making this highly accurate algorithm is proprietary and must remain secret for the next 150 years.  I will however share how this "Feel" translates to performance in the very near future.

Airworks.jpg

Center mark.jpg

SizeDiff.jpg

As mentioned in my introduction, I plan to utilize a perfect practice mat as a part of my testing regimen.IMG_0594.jpeg.7e600393ec8d29ba1944e06614165f7a.jpeg

Because mindlessly rolling putts from various distances can be somewhat cathartic, yet quite tedious, I have devised a simple competition for the Max, Ultimate, and Quad Tour. I will use each respective putter/grip to roll 5 putts from 3’, 6’, & 9’ on the standard size hole. Each putt is worth a point. If I make all 5, I get a bonus putt from that distance toward the undersized hole. Making that will net 3 bonus points. I plan to do this nightly for the next 4 weeks, and the end of which I will crown a basement putting mat shootout champion. Since tonight was the inaugural round the tally’s are:

IMG_0593.jpeg.97bdfa9cd40da6f00d5d44638d2b258b.jpeg

(I had to borrow some space on SWMBO’s exercise whiteboard for my tally.)

The x’s are for missed bonus putts and the checks are for made bonus putts. 

After the first round:

Ultimate Rossie - 11 points

Max Evnroll - 16 points

Quad Tour Scotty - 13 points

Who’s going to take the title? Tune in to the final review to find out!

WITB:

I'm reviewing the Ultimate grip, but wanted to test the Max out on my backup putter. Normally I would use tape and solvent, but seeing as I may remove this to test the others grips or to put on my main putter, I just used air. The Max is a big grip. Easy to slot on the shaft and install. I didnt even need a vice to hold the putter. Just slipped right on. I've only done an air install a few times and that shows, but thought the process might be worthy of a quick video. 

20230511_210437.jpg.291d473d7bef21839e484007567c7435.jpg

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

On 5/2/2023 at 8:14 AM, Berg Ryman said:

having done something similar to this with a SS2 from Superstroke back in the day, I wonder how our testers will appreciate the new feel. Can't wait to see how it works for everyone!

I was just working through that though. Trying to edit a little video now addressing the "feel."  I am mixed.  On one hand I like the way it feels for sewing flow, for set up I am still trying to decide; are my mixed feelings because it isn't what I am used to  or because it isn't right for my grip and stroke?  I think that is a HUGE aspect of "feel."  If you have been playing, even somewhat successfully, for a while with a certain grip the something new is going to feel different, is that good or bad or partly driven by a hope that it is "better?"  Think about taking a lesson as a result of maybe a push or a pull and the Pro shows you that your hand position is the problem, the weakens or strengthens your grip, in relation to where you've been, to fix the problem. It WILL feel strange, maybe not even "good" and even when it fixes the problem you've been having, you're going to be conflicted over whether this new hand position "feels good" or "feels bad" in comparison to what you've been used to. So, does the new grip feeling good or not? 😖 🤔

Let's talk feel for a moment.  I've been contemplating thus for a bit and I am mixed on the "feel" with the Max in my hand and on the putter. 

On one hand I like the way it feels for swing flow, for set up I am still trying to decide; I think a HUGE aspect of "feel" comes from a comparison to what we have gotten used to.  If you have ever taken a lesson and have had the Pro adhmjust your hand position, weaken or strengthen your grip in relation to where you've been; it WILL feel strange, maybe not even "good" and even when it fixes a problem you've been having; you're going to be conflicted over whether this new hand position "feels good" or "feels bad" in comparison to what you've been used to; no matter how much better you strike the ball. So, does this new grip feeling good or not?  😖

On one hand 😃

On the other 🤔

On 5/10/2023 at 8:38 PM, ChitownM2 said:

Thanks.  Just realized I quoted the wrong post.  Meant to tag @Subdiver1 as he had the evnroll in his intro pics.

Easy day.  Funny, I was just thinking about that specific question.  I started my live action comparison testing yesterday and am getting it ready for public consumption; one of the problems I need to address is that the 2nd ER2 I bought to allow me to do head to head testing has a Super Stroke grip on it (for some reason I thought it had the OEM grip as well), and I am not really digging that SS.  I think I jumped the gun replacing my ER2 OEM grip with the Max; I should have waited and replaced the grip on the new ER2 with the Max and kept the Evnroll OEM grip since that is a known quantity.  Anyway, I am now trying to get the SS grip off the new ER2 so I can put the Evnroll grip back on and put the Max on the new putter.  

All that background aside, to more directly answer your question I think Ben is correct, the Ultimate is closest.  I will post a pic.

5 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

Easy day.  Funny, I was just thinking about that specific question.  I started my live action comparison testing yesterday and am getting it ready for public consumption; one of the problems I need to address is that the 2nd ER2 I bought to allow me to do head to head testing has a Super Stroke grip on it (for some reason I thought it had the OEM grip as well), and I am not really digging that SS.  I think I jumped the gun replacing my ER2 OEM grip with the Max; I should have waited and replaced the grip on the new ER2 with the Max and kept the Evnroll OEM grip since that is a known quantity.  Anyway, I am now trying to get the SS grip off the new ER2 so I can put the Evnroll grip back on and put the Max on the new putter.  

All that background aside, to more directly answer your question I think Ben is correct, the Ultimate is closest.  I will post a pic.

R to L

Ultimate, Super Stroke, Evnroll, Max, Quad

20230513_154921.jpg

24 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

R to L

Ultimate, Super Stroke, Evnroll, Max, Quad

20230513_154921.jpg

L to R correct?

Yeah Evnroll doesn't sell those grips anymore which is eventually going to be a problem for me.  I've got one in OK condition and another reserve I bought last summer from them but pretty sure they are long gone now.  I've got some of the old gravity grips but those aren't exactly the same and are heavy so it changes the swing weight.