Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Iron head covers!🙈

On 5/6/2023 at 1:41 PM, fozcycle said:

There are two sounds that I grew up with playing golf……

—- the clickety clack of steel spikes on concrete

—- the clanking of steel versus steel of the clubs while jostling around in my bag.

Those were the sounds of golf in the 50’s and 60’s.  At 72, I still hear those sounds…….in my head.

Right there with ya (probably heard them in the 50's- didn't know what it was) but most definitely in the 60's 70's

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

I've been using Ironhead covers for years. Totally not embarrassed by what anyone else might think of doing so. Why only protect your driver and /or woods? I hate the sound of clubs banging together, especially those of another player as they move along the course. Messes with concentration. Not to mention that I paid a lot of money for those irons and want to protect them. Red iron covers go great with my bag, too!

I use them, they don't slow me down one bit, and I don't care what anyone else thinks 😆

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

I have used iron covers for years. For one, they do keep the irons in much better shape. And two: keep my bag much quieter.  Especially when I used to walk. When time to sell my clubs for something newer, almost like I am selling a new set of irons. Up until recently, I never used a head cover on my driver, which in turn would end up getting beat up.  But recently I purchased a TM SIM 2 driver and it is such a great looking club that I now find myself replacing the head cover after each use.  

I do recommend the use of iron covers. And also, there is only one style iron cover I strongly recommend, as they are easy to use, and I have never had a single one lost per fall off an iron. "Iron Gloves"!   https://www.irongloves.com/iron-covers_8_48167.html

ff

19 minutes ago, yankee said:

I have used iron covers for years. For one, they do keep the irons in much better shape. And two: keep my bag much quieter.  Especially when I used to walk. When time to sell my clubs for something newer, almost like I am selling a new set of irons. Up until recently, I never used a head cover on my driver, which in turn would end up getting beat up.  But recently I purchased a TM SIM 2 driver and it is such a great looking club that I now find myself replacing the head cover after each use.  

I do recommend the use of iron covers. And also, there is only one style iron cover I strongly recommend, as they are easy to use, and I have never had a single one lost per fall off an iron. "Iron Gloves"!   https://www.irongloves.com/iron-covers_8_48167.html

Might have to give these a shot- thanks

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

I have not used in years. I did use them when I walked and carried my bag. When I statrted walking with a push cart I have not used covers.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver

:callaway-small: Mavrik Three wood

:taylormade-small: M2 Hybrids 3, 4 & 5

:taylormade-small: R7 irons 5 - AW

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

I use them. I don't care what anyone says about me using them. At first they were a pain but I got a system down now and it doesn't really take any extra time to take them on or take them off. I grab the iron I want to hit the shot with. As I walk to my ball I put the cover in my back pocket. Then I hit the shot. Then I wipe off the head with a towel and then slide the cover back on and off I go. I paid too much for my stuff to get beat up.

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

I used them when I had a set of brand new Miura irons. Once I got my current TCBs I lost one and just rolled without having any covers. There definitely is chatter on my irons but to me I see it as character. I get keeping irons pristine as it’s am investment so if that’s the goal roll with covers and don’t worry about what others may say. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

12 hours ago, AndySP said:

I think you mean Aaron Rai who also uses two rain gloves for every shot. Interesting dude. 

I don’t put covers on my irons, I kinda like the sound when walking and the character they develop over time. I also don’t use them on my hybrid or fairway wood, which is obvious when you look at them. 

AHHH! you're right; no wonder I couldn't find the article. LOL.

Thanks for picking me up. 🤜

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I use iron covers and to be honest, I don't lose any sleep over the naysayers. As pointed out earlier, those that put down others that use iron covers are also covering their Scotty and $500 driver. Similar to a conversation I had with one of my sons. He likes to thrift shop for clothes and he certainly does not need to. One of his friends gave him a hard time. I told him, ask your friend if they have ever slept in a hotel bed and after you do, the conversation will be over. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I have used them for over a year. Since my last set of Irons was Purchased (Cobra Forge Tec) and my irons still look great. Most people do not take care of there equipment and that’s up to them, but I want my clubs to still look like new and the only wear I want on them is from them ground and ball impact. Not clanking against each other in the bag riding or traveling. But that’s just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Phillips 

56 minutes ago, Shon89 said:

I have used them for over a year. Since my last set of Irons was Purchased (Cobra Forge Tec) and my irons still look great. Most people do not take care of there equipment and that’s up to them, but I want my clubs to still look like new and the only wear I want on them is from them ground and ball impact. Not clanking against each other in the bag riding or traveling. But that’s just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, I like to give my clubs a wash down and good clean after a game. Paid some good money for them and don't earn nearly enough to let them get worse 😁

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

I feel you!!!  I bought a set of Callaway Apex 19 (new).  Didn't immediately by covers and they are beat up as result.  They're forged, ergo soft metal.  Big mistake!!!!

I am a regular and frequent golfer.  I have played in 16 states and 4 countries.

My bucket list is to play in all 50 states.  I am an “A” flight golfer in my golf club.

Have used Castle Bay covers on all my iron sets since my first set of forged clubs purchased around 1990. As others have stated they keep irons from getting trashed and have better resale. When I switched from forged blades to Taylormade cavity backs I still used Castle Bay OS covers. I sold them for what I paid for them 7 years later. Granted I got them at a great price as older season new stock. But the point is the covers help. Last year bought Hogan  forged Edge cavity backs and got a new set of OS Castle Bays. Easy on and off and their molded shape stays on. Time taken is minimal as I stuff the cover in my right pocket as I go to my ball from the cart-then back on the club after toweling the club clean. Literally a few seconds time. As one other said, I uncover my driver during the round as nothing hits it. And my most used wedge is never covered as all it can hit is other covers! 
Sorry for the long winded post but so glad I’m not the only one using iron covers!

“Take dead aim” - I always do but my swing doesn’t always cooperate!

Dam you guys, I have been looking at iron headcovers all day. I like the music of the irons ticking against each other as I walk to the club house. But now with forged irons coming my way I am concerned.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

8 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Dam you guys, I have been looking at iron headcovers all day. I like the music of the irons ticking against each other as I walk to the club house. But now with forged irons coming my way I am concerned.

Let them click there old buddy. One of the pleasure sounds connected to the game for me. Besides bag chatter adds street creed along with lead tape LOL. And yes the old Mac blades are back in the bag

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Let them click there old buddy. One of the pleasure sounds connected to the game for me. Besides bag chatter adds street creed along with lead tape LOL. And yes the old Mac blades are back in the bag

I actually was thinking on getting them just for travel purposes. Airline protection and such. I wouldn't keep them on during play. 

On 5/9/2023 at 12:28 AM, yankee said:

.  But recently I purchased a TM SIM 2 driver and it is such a great looking club that I now find myself replacing the head cover after each use.  

I've got a SIM 2 Max D and love the color combination especially with the white Airspeeder shaft  Wish they still continued that color combo with the Stealth

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

12 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Once you go with iron covers you'll never go back.😅

Pics of my Craftsman covers. 

IMG_9968.jpg.0eb21afdaa8b2689e0539e56b8cd5c15.jpg

IMG_9967.jpg.f08edff50e1d403b149b3e33f32b4f81.jpg

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

At this time I don't, but my regular playing partner uses covers on his irons. His clubs definitely have stayed nice and worked well in his favor when he traded his old set for a new set of Pings.  My clubs definitely have lived life, when I do go to pony up the big dollars on a new set of irons, I'm definitely going to have to consider covers.

20 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I actually was thinking on getting them just for travel purposes. Airline protection and such. I wouldn't keep them on during play. 

Agree I have heard some horror stories about the airlines and clubs. I do not fly but if I did no way would I trust my prized Mac- Hogans or rusty Scotty to the airlines. I would have to do as I have read some guys do and put together a "travel" set

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

19 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Once you go with iron covers you'll never go back.😅

Pics of my Craftsman covers. 

IMG_9968.jpg.0eb21afdaa8b2689e0539e56b8cd5c15.jpg

IMG_9967.jpg.f08edff50e1d403b149b3e33f32b4f81.jpg

One of my sometimes Shootout partners has that exact set. He has a set of new Titleist T-100 irons and he is a sort of OCD type guy anyhow. But I will give you guys credit IF and I say IF I would go the iron cover route those are the ones I would get

G

If this thread's any indication, there are lot's of folks using iron covers.  Now, on to the follow-up question - what type of iron covers?

I am not a fan of neoprene, they wear way too fast.

I definitely prefer leather/pleather, personally I like a zipper on mine, but they're really hard to find in 4-PW+GW+SW+LW.

I like all mine to match!  Craftsman have been on my irons for the past 5+ years

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

I don't bother with them. It's too much bother for me to take the cover on and off of my driver, let alone my irons.😬

I figure that once you hit a ball with with a brand new, expensive iron, it's no longer new anyway. Because of my trade, I look at golf clubs as tools. I've spent a lot of money for quality tools. There is no way tools can be used and kept looking pristine. Kept in good, working shape.... absolutely. Nicks, scratches and patina are just part of the charm of well used tools... doesn't bother me in the least. That's just me. Anyone that wants to use iron covers, that's cool with me... like you care if it is or not. 😂

8 hours ago, Peejer said:

If this thread's any indication, there are lot's of folks using iron covers.  Now, on to the follow-up question - what type of iron covers?

I am not a fan of neoprene, they wear way too fast.

I definitely prefer leather/pleather, personally I like a zipper on mine, but they're really hard to find in 4-PW+GW+SW+LW.

I like all mine to match!  Craftsman have been on my irons for the past 5+ years

Correct the neoprene covers are junk - they will stretch and routinely come off, especially riding in a cart where the clubs get jostled around. Next level up are ones that have a velcro fastener  - nicer and fit better. The craftsman covers (in my previous post) are the best since they are a longer sleeve and better quality material. and don't cost much more than the cheap ones. 

I've lost plenty of the neoprene ones but never a craftsman one. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

5 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Correct the neoprene covers are junk - they will stretch and routinely come off, especially riding in a cart where the clubs get jostled around. Next level up are ones that have a velcro fastener  - nicer and fit better. The craftsman covers (in my previous post) are the best since they are a longer sleeve and better quality material. and don't cost much more than the cheap ones. 

I have these, and have had them for many years. Zippers have never broke.
Subtle yet effective.

image.png.3dd37adfcba2df6519f87d32d704422e.png

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

13 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Around here we have a name for the clear neoprene covers----- Club Condoms

G

15 hours ago, silver & black said:

I don't bother with them. It's too much bother for me to take the cover on and off of my driver, let alone my irons.😬

I figure that once you hit a ball with with a brand new, expensive iron, it's no longer new anyway. Because of my trade, I look at golf clubs as tools. I've spent a lot of money for quality tools. There is no way tools can be used and kept looking pristine. Kept in good, working shape.... absolutely. Nicks, scratches and patina are just part of the charm of well used tools... doesn't bother me in the least. That's just me. Anyone that wants to use iron covers, that's cool with me... like you care if it is or not. 😂

My sentiments exactly. Lots of times it depends on the course and the area. My course is rough and dry plus being in a Seaside salt and sand environment it is rough on clubs. Those TM CBs I have been playing were pristine and after 25 rounds they are beginning to show some wear and nicks. But like you said nicks patina and scratches give street creed. Now I do wipe off with a wet towel after every shot and keep the grooves clean. And also like you I could give 2 hoots less if someone uses covers or not

G

PEER PRESSURE wins again. There was some thought behind the purchase though. I ordered iron covers for the new sticks yesterday. Mainly to protect them during travel. Airlines are rough and a 7-hour car trips are no joke on clubs in the trunk either. All I need now are my new irons to show up.