Testers Wanted! L.A.B. and GHOST Golf! ×

KBS Shafts - (Official Thread)

Hey MyGolfSpy members! Here at KBS, we are big fans of this online community and want to show you all more of what we are up to! Check this thread for KBS tech talk, equipment news, and TOUR updates! We encourage you all to ask us questions here. Keep in mind we will check this frequently, but if you have an urgent question, please call us or email us directly. Check our website for contact info.

-The KBS Team

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool thread, been playing your shafts for a good amount of time now. I have been playing with KBS shafts since the KBS C-Taper hit public market, great feeling and preforming shafts, keep up the good work.

Here is the first question, I know that Phil is playing some prototypes named KBS Tour V2, I have heard they play in between the C-Taper and Tour lines in terms of tip firmness and launch angle. Are you planning on making the V2 the next addition to the KBS line up?

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Ok I will be the first, I bought some KBS Hybrid shafts, but these are not listed in the tipping instructions. Are these supposed to be tipped?

Edit, ok I will be second.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4-5H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 6-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :truetemper: DG Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Cool thread, been playing your shafts for a good amount of time now. I have been playing with KBS shafts since the KBS C-Taper hit public market, great feeling and preforming shafts, keep up the good work.

Here is the first question, I know that Phil is playing some prototypes named KBS Tour V2, I have heard they play in between the C-Taper and Tour lines in terms of tip firmness and launch angle. Are you planning on making the V2 the next addition to the KBS line up?

Thanks for the question. The V2 is a stiffer tip than the KBS Tour and similar to the C-Taper. We are not planning on releasing the V2. Currently, the only player using this shaft is Phil, and all other professionals are using stock KBS Tour, C-Taper or Tour 90 shafts. Thanks!

Ok I will be the first, I bought some KBS Hybrid shafts, but these are not listed in the tipping instructions. Are these supposed to be tipped?

Edit, ok I will be second.

Thanks for the question. They should be tipped. All our Hybrids are .370 tip. Here is a trim chart for all flexes. We are updating the chart we have on our website.

KBS HYBRID (all flexes)

LOFT/TRIM

14° 0”

16° ½”

18° 1”

20° 1 ½”

22°2”

Thanks again

Thanks for joining us, I have many questions, but have to run so I'll ask the first question that comes to mind...

Any plans on releasing a version of the C Taper in parallel tip? (I guess call them C Parallel...)

Wdgolf,

Yes, we actually do offer the C-Taper in parallel tip now. It just came out a couple weeks ago. Please contact your local KBS dealer or KBS dealers online to order!

-The KBS Team

I'm interested in lighter weight steel shafts and performance relative to standard weight steel shafts. You website says the KBS Tour 90 shaft is for "average to moderate players". I'm not sure what you are trying to say with those terms... please explain. And perhaps you can comment on performance differences between the KBS Tour, C-Taper, and Tour 90, with an emphasis on what may be gained or lost when going to a lighter weight shaft.

Another question if I may. What is it about the C Taper that makes it special compared to lower priced shafts such as the DG X100, another low flight shaft? No need to give away the secret sauce, but I am curious as to what the difference is between different iron shafts.

Thanks again!

KBS,

Two follow on questions about the C Taper Parallel tip:

1) Do these also have a constant weight to them or does it follow the typical (iotw, do you order shafts specific to a club head or do you order the same shaft for all and tip trim appropriately)?

2) Do the parallel tips play softer than the taper tip?

Thanks!

I play your product also, always seems to be the best in the market!!! Thanks for such good product and now feedback to us!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I've got KBS C-tapers in my irons and love them. I want to keep them for a long time. How can I keep the satin finish looking good? Car wax, dish soap and water, etc..?

Hi, the4hornes. Thanks for the question. We suggest a mild soap, water and gentle cleaning with a cloth. This is best to clean and preserve your KBS shafts.

I'm interested in lighter weight steel shafts and performance relative to standard weight steel shafts. You website says the KBS Tour 90 shaft is for "average to moderate players". I'm not sure what you are trying to say with those terms... please explain. And perhaps you can comment on performance differences between the KBS Tour, C-Taper, and Tour 90, with an emphasis on what may be gained or lost when going to a lighter weight shaft.

Thanks for the question, Will Par. The Tour 90 shaft helps players with average to slower swing speeds and who need help getting the ball in the air. Our product line is very simple. We move from higer launch, higer spin rate with the Tour 90. Then we go to a mid launch, mid spin rate with the Tour. To complete the line, we offer the C-Taper for golfers wanting lower launch, lower spin performance. Lgihter weight shafts help increase swing speed. Our lighter weight shafts are more flexible than the heavier weight. Weighting is actually how KBS changes flexes. Also, the lighter you go, there will be a slight increase in spin and launch angle.

Another question if I may. What is it about the C Taper that makes it special compared to lower priced shafts such as the DG X100, another low flight shaft? No need to give away the secret sauce, but I am curious as to what the difference is between different iron shafts.

Thanks again!

The C-Taper is actually very difficult to manufacture. It is no secret that KBS is known for incredibly smooth feel at impact. This, in combination with the low spin, and stiffer performance characteristics make it a great combination. Thanks for these questions!

The C-Taper is actually very difficult to manufacture. It is no secret that KBS is known for incredibly smooth feel at impact. This, in combination with the low spin, and stiffer performance characteristics make it a great combination. Thanks for these questions!

I can confirm that statement, probably the smoothest X-Stiff I have played yet that doesn't compromise performance while doing it. Hit the C-Taper out of the park, for the High Spin & High Launch player IMHO.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I got to play 9 holes today with my new C Tapers. The jury is still out I had some awesome shot, and some mediocre shots, but no terrible shot. These are 40 grams heavier that my previous iron shaft, this is what I need, however the feel difference takes some getting used to. On two of the last 3 holes, I hit shots that carried 15 yards farther than I used to. I plan on writing a full review next week after I wear these things out this weekend. I expect to have at least 108 holes on these by Monday. After 9 holes I have no idea if I like them or not.

KBS,

I know that in your FAQ before the new site went live there was a question that said 'is KBS Tour counter-balanced' the answer to the question is NO, however with all components the same KBS Tour would swing weight about 2 points less then other shafts. D2 would turn into a D0 in the example.

My question for you today since there seems to be some debate on this topic in a different thread on this site, how does KBS C-Taper swing weight. Does it swing weight more traditionally (like PX and DG) or does it swing weight like the KBS Tour?

I am wanting to know about DG x100 (130g), PX 6.5 (125g), KBS C-Taper X-Stiff (130g) please since they are the same or if they would swing weight along the same lines as KBS Tour dropping 2 points or not?

Thank you for your time,

jmiller065

KBS,

Two follow on questions about the C Taper Parallel tip:

1) Do these also have a constant weight to them or does it follow the typical (iotw, do you order shafts specific to a club head or do you order the same shaft for all and tip trim appropriately)?

2) Do the parallel tips play softer than the taper tip?

Thanks!

Wdgolf,

Sorry for this late reply and thanks for this question. The parallel tip shafts will perform the exact same as the taper tip. Swing weight, playability and feel are the same. For parallel tip shafts, there is only one option, a 43.5" blank shaft. This will then be trimmed for each iron. Thanks again.

KBS,

I know that in your FAQ before the new site went live there was a question that said 'is KBS Tour counter-balanced' the answer to the question is NO, however with all components the same KBS Tour would swing weight about 2 points less then other shafts. D2 would turn into a D0 in the example.

My question for you today since there seems to be some debate on this topic in a different thread on this site, how does KBS C-Taper swing weight. Does it swing weight more traditionally (like PX and DG) or does it swing weight like the KBS Tour?

I am wanting to know about DG x100 (130g), PX 6.5 (125g), KBS C-Taper X-Stiff (130g) please since they are the same or if they would swing weight along the same lines as KBS Tour dropping 2 points or not?

Thank you for your time,

jmiller065

Jmiller065, Thank you for this question. You are correct that our shafts are not counterbalanced. The reason swing weights come out lighter, is because our CG is higher than most other shafts. For the Tour shaft, generally 2 swing weights is lost moving from DG or PX. With the C-Taper, you lose 1 swing weight moving from DG or PX. So the C-Taper has a slightly lower CG than our Tour. Thanks again.

Wdgolf,

Sorry for this late reply and thanks for this question. The parallel tip shafts will perform the exact same as the taper tip. Swing weight, playability and feel are the same. For parallel tip shafts, there is only one option, a 43.5" blank shaft. This will then be trimmed for each iron. Thanks again.

Thanks KBS! Once I get my swing flaws fixed, I'll definitely try it out.

I found your press release and trim guide for anyone else who's interested:

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/community/press-releases/item/168-kbs-launches-all-new-kbs-c-taper-with-370%E2%80%9D-tip

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/downloads/fitting-info.pdf

I have some KBS Tours and am trying to determine the stiffness. I have the trimming instructions but these cliubs are two inches longer than normal. What is the length of a KBS Tour from an uncut tip to the frist step? This way i can determine what these are.

I have some KBS Tours and am trying to determine the stiffness. I have the trimming instructions but these cliubs are two inches longer than normal. What is the length of a KBS Tour from an uncut tip to the frist step? This way i can determine what these are.

RoverRick,

Thanks for the technical Q. We can definitely help you. If you want more clarification on this, please feel free to call us at 303-444-2226*2.

We have different tip lengths for each iron. Our tip lengths do not change with flex. A 5i tip length is 8in, and it goes down 1/2 in as you go into shorter irons. It increase 1/2in as you move into longer irons. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey KBS fans! We enjoyed an exciting weekend as players emerged victorious at the Nationwide and Champions Tour events using KBS TOUR shafts! We continue to surge as the fastest-growing steel shaft on Tour.

2012 has been very impressive to see how many players are switching into KBS on the Nationwide tour. This week's event KBS had 1st, 3rd, 6th and 9th place finishes! To top it off, we also grew to 30 players in the field compared to under 10 players last year.

Also, KBS came close on the PGA TOUR with a T2 finish. We appreciate your feedback and questions throughout the week!

KBS,

I recently watched the video on your YouTube channel where Kim Braly talks about the C-Taper. He makes a mention that you carry different flexes R through X in the line but it will fit a somewhat wider range of players because what you have done with the tip section of the lower flexes.

I play an X-Stiff C-Taper personally I am just curious what change between R, R+, S, S+, X was made specifically to the "lower flexes". What exactly was changed without giving any manufacturing secretes away and could you define what he means by "lower flexes"?

Thanks,

JM

Archived