TESTERS WANTED! ×

PURE Grips Review

GolfSpy WD

First of all, a huge thank you to MGS and PURE for these grips, I really can't wait to try them out.

This is going to be a full season review and I'll update this post periodically throughout the season.

Part 1: Unboxing and Installation

- Looks

- Feel

Part 2: First round

- How do they compare to other grips I've used

Part 3: End of season review

- How well have the grips worn?

- How well have they performed in wet weather?

Link to the official MGS review: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/4538-pure-grips-–-colored-grips-–a-follow-up-review/

Link to PURE website: http://www.puregrips.com/

Part 1a: Unboxing

So I had a lot of fun ordering these. I figured if I could customize them, I might as well go nuts with the colors. They just arrived today.

IMGP3434.JPG

IMGP3437.JPG

I'll hold off commenting on tackiness until I install them, but I love the colors. Here is the breakdown:

Driver (R11s): White with Red Paint Fill

Fairway (RBZ Tour): White with Green Paint Fill

Hybrids (Acer XF): White with Green Paint Fill

Irons (Dynacraft): Green with White Paint Fill

52* Wedge (Dynacraft): Yellow with White Paint Fill

56* Wedge (Dynacraft): Orange with White Paint Fill

60* Wedge (Dynacraft): Red with White Paint Fill

Since I'm getting fit soon for new shafts, I'm going to hold off installing these grips until I get the new shafts, but I'm thinking using matching ferrule colors.

As an aside I just noticed these were made in the USA, which is pretty awesome IMO.

Part 1b: Installing (updated 11/29/2012)

I finally got around to installing these grips onto my wedges, it was very cool and they feel amazingly tacky.

I started off putting on 2 layers of masking tape on the butt of the grip. My first attempt (first time using the air compressor too) was to try to blow on the grip without any grip solvent. PSI was at about 35 at the time and the grip only got about halfway on, but blew back off without any issue.

My next try was with grip solvent and I let the compressor build up to about 50psi. It took longer to clamp the shaft to the vise than to install the grip itself. A few blows of air and it was on like magic and very easy to adjust after. For anyone who's installed grips the traditional way, you know you have about 5 seconds after putting on the grip to do the final adjustments before it starts to become unmovable, so this was really nice.

It was no effort at all and there is no way I'm ever going back to installing grips the old way. The gun nosel PURE provided worked perfectly to help push the grip on. I'm not sure solvent is really needed with enough PSI, but I have it handy and it was fast.

The only complaint I have is the white paint fill peeled off on the end of my SW. But with the color scheme, I'll no longer pull out the wrong wedge by accident!

52* Wedge (Dynacraft): Yellow with White Paint Fill

56* Wedge (Dynacraft): Orange with White Paint Fill

60* Wedge (Dynacraft): Red with White Paint Fill

IMGP3582.jpgIMGP3583.jpg

IMGP3585.jpgIMGP3586.jpg

Just a quick note, I'll post more pictures in later parts of the review (which will go into 2013 for the last part). These pictures were taken at night in my small shop in the garage. The flash on the camera really washed out the yellow on the GW grip. The colors are actually very nice.

Great choice on the colors..I'm loving them. Congratulations on getting them. I look forward to your review. Like I said in the other Pure Grip thread, I have been dying to get my hands on a set of these, so I am REALLY excited to see how you do with them. Good luck and I hope you play well with them!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Now THAT'S sweet looking stuff.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 months later...

I got a set of the PURE P2 Wraps when I was a forum member of the month, I have yet to install them as when i got them I just changed my grips to new ones and the new ones haven't warn out yet, I'll be changing mine pretty soon and writing something up.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I got a set of the PURE P2 Wraps when I was a forum member of the month, I have yet to install them as when i got them I just changed my grips to new ones and the new ones haven't warn out yet, I'll be changing mine pretty soon and writing something up.

I never installed mine because I never changed the shafts on my irons. My plan is to do so next season and just wear out the grips I'm currently using. Right now I'm thinking my setup will be:

R11s with Black Ops shaft (same as now)

RBZ with Talamonti PD-80 shaft

18*, 21*, and 24* Wishon 775HS with Xcaliber shaft (base, white model)

-- I'll sub out a wedge for the 18* as necessary

5-PW Dynacraft Prophet tour with KBS Tour or C-Taper shafts

50*, 55*, and 60* wedges with KBS Tour or C-Taper, one flex up, soft stepped once (black shaft if possible)

Then install the PURE grips as outlined above with off color ferrules.

Can't wait, but I have to get my swing down first...

I never installed mine because I never changed the shafts on my irons. My plan is to do so next season and just wear out the grips I'm currently using. Right now I'm thinking my setup will be:

R11s with Black Ops shaft (same as now)

RBZ with Talamonti PD-80 shaft

18*, 21*, and 24* Wishon 775HS with Xcaliber shaft (base, white model)

-- I'll sub out a wedge for the 18* as necessary

5-PW Dynacraft Prophet tour with KBS Tour or C-Taper shafts

50*, 55*, and 60* wedges with KBS Tour or C-Taper, one flex up, soft stepped once (black shaft if possible)

Then install the PURE grips as outlined above with off color ferrules.

Can't wait, but I have to get my swing down first...

If you want black you are looking at $35 a shaft for KBS Tour black finish (paint chips over time at the step points), or Tour Custom which are a durable finish but $50 a shaft. C-Taper at this time is only offered in the Satin finish. I use C-Taper 5-PW, KBS Tour 3 & 4 irons, and KBS Tour Wedge line up in the wedges.

Sorry that was a bit OT, but when i do install my PURE grips i will do 3 wraps of build up under the right hand like i have now and one full length wrap of double sided over the build up. It just kills some of the taper rate of the grips moving from top to the bottom of the grip which like the feel of.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Sorry that was a bit OT, but when i do install my PURE grips i will do 3 wraps of build up under the right hand like i have now and one full length wrap of double sided over the build up. It just kills some of the taper rate of the grips moving from top to the bottom of the grip which like the feel of.

That's one of the things I'm most interested in with the PUREs, trying out a different combinations of wraps under each hand, but I have to be patient :D.

Damn, I was hoping that you guys would have some feedback on 'em...I ordered the blue with "RPJ II" on them...I'm more excited about these grips than anything else!..I've got the Decade Multi-Compound Cords on my clubs now, but the Pures are going on em as soon as they arrive....I can't wait!.I got the Pros, what did you get?...WD, why didn't you get your initials on 'em....

Fairways & Greens 4ever......

They couldn't do firm mid size grips with writing. I was actually going to put my son's birthday. But I still very happy with what I got. Can't wait to rebuild my set to try them out.

I also got a set of these with my name on them when I was MGS MOM. I got red with black writing. Mine are oversized tour wraps. Ended up putting these on C Tapered Shafts with red with two black stripes on the ferrules. These are on the Hogan CFT irons. I also have 3 Hogan wedges that have the original ferrules on them that are black with two red stripes. They look really cool. I have recieved many comments about them.

As far as wraps of tape under them, I start at the butt of the club and put 3 rounds of masking tape 2 inches wide. Next to that I put 4 wraps, then 5 then 6 then 7 then 8 wraps of tape. So there are 5 bands touching each other and the shaft does not feel tapered. I then install the Pure Grips right over it.

I liked this so much that on my other set, the Mizuno's with the DG X100 shafts, I did the same thing and put white Golf Pride Tour Wraps with white ferrules. I used the gun to install the Golf Prides without tape also. The Golf Prides felt thinner and two of them ballooned up and I had to install them with double sticky tape.

I love the gun and blowing on grips. I have even installed a 21" belly putter grip using this method. The other day a friend of mine ask me to regrip his wedge. I had the gun in my truck so I said come on. we went gathered the equipment, I cut off his old grip and blew that one on and in about 60 second I was finished. I handed it back to him and he was just standing there with his mouth open.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I have had blow on grips before and for me over times they started to twist on the top of the grip. The alignment tool marking started square then worked it's for 12 o'clock to 10:30ish so if you used the line the club would sit WAY open. I have not had that happen to me when using traditional solvent installations.

I'm looking forwards to giving these a try, unfortunately for me there was a mix up somewhere in the communication line between myself T and PURE grips. I ordered the P2 standard in white with green lettering, I ended up getting after a huge wait a set of Green P2 with white lettering. Not a big deal I am not picky about a color given that they were a gift. I have pretty much the masters edition of the P2 wraps, green grips with white paint fill, no customization in my initials.

JM, so you've never had good luck with blow on grips?....These will be my first....Now I'm wondering if I should remove a virtually brand new(May '12) set of the New Decades Multi-Compounds...

The outside of the grip remained the same wear as if it were a solvent installation. The issues was the top of the grip literally twisting over time after 100s of swings with a hard release / fast swing speed. The alignment line on the grip I was using started at the face being square at 12 o'clock, it turned to the 10 to 11 o'clock position where if you used it as a way to line up the face the face would be way open.

I recall the GolfPride Multi-Comp grips when they tried to be saved with air almost always exploding and popping a hole under the rubber section of the grip (the color non-cord part under the lower hand). I am not sure if those grips should be installed with air without running the risk of blowing one up. Anytime that those needed to be saved my builder had to use the needle to inject solvent into the grip to slip them back off if they had been slipped on.

Consult a club builder that knows more then I do before installing any old grip with air, some grips can take it like PURE and Star (Star was the grips I had blown on one time) other just run a big risk of destroying the grip.

JM, so you've never had good luck with blow on grips?....These will be my first....Now I'm wondering if I should remove a virtually brand new(May '12) set of the New Decades Multi-Compounds...

I would not replace your good grips with the new ones simply because there is no need, however, as soon as those start to wear I would change to the Pure. I have had great luck with the Pure grips, however, I do not have them on my drivers. I have red pure grips and an orange driver shaft and I can not bring myself to put those colors together. The other driver, with a red and yellow shaft has a good grip on it. I do not normally swing irons, hybrids and wedges "full" and have had no slipage.

I decided to cup the shafts of my two Titleist hybrids today after my morning round so I blew the grip off, cut the shaft and reinstalled them, 10 minutes max job. I love Pure grips. However, I have also done this to the Golf Pride Wraps. And others.

Well My normal grip is about $2.50 to $3 a grip it's not like it hurts my wallet too terribly bad to change grips that are not completely warn out. Now if they were $10 a grip there is no way i would cut off a good grip to replace it unless I had to.

I really like the Star Grips, they last a long time and with a nylon brush, dawn and water you can clean them up nicely to retain the tackiness of the grip over time, the longer they wear the better they seem to become. That sounds a$$ backwards but it holds true with the tour wrap (perforated wrap that is not cushioned).

Anyways the grips are cheap can be found for around $3 a grip on eBay, they have one downfall that I am not a big fan of is when your hands get wet they slip easily. They are not a hot humid / rain type of grip they take maintenance in making sure they are dry and the glove is dry before making a swing, I think this is probably true for most rubber grips that are designed without a real tacky type rubber.

I decided that I was going to give PURE a try so yesterday I replaced all my clubs except for the driver and 3 iron. I only had 13 grips sent to me, and have two new shafts going to me pretty soon for the driver. I have one Black Ops coming to me for testing and another review past my first one. I also have a All Silver RT Technologies Zeus 75g coming to me gonna be the Stiff but they run a lot higher then you think, the all silver Zeus X-Stiff raw is a 278 CPM roughly. I plan to put the last pure grip that I have on the all Silver Zeus, should be a good match with that shaft green doesn't look great against the copper of my RT Zeus LT, The Zeus 85g in my fairway, and not so good against my Midas either.Wish that I would have gotten the white with green paint fill instead but they are free so can't really complain about it too much.

Sorry for the rambling, I'll get back to you all later on the performance on them.

I bought a karma putter grip for $4.95 delivered and put it on four weeks ago and it felt great for two weeks. I ordered another brand Friday. Spent $10 this time for Golf pride. :)

I bought a karma putter grip for $4.95 delivered and put it on four weeks ago and it felt great for two weeks. I ordered another brand Friday. Spent $10 this time for Golf pride. :)

Putter grips don't really wear out, once you find one you like you can pretty much not change that same grip for several seasons, I have seen some people that have been using the same grip on a putter for 5 plus years. I personally use an IOmic on my putter, they run like $18 so I don't tend to experiment with putter grips very often. I used to use a Lamkin Crossline Paddle way back in the day, I am not a huge fan of the Golf Pride grips on putters too often, I just don't like the feel of it and the tapper of hte golf pride paddle grips.

I am probably going to end up going into a full cord and not mess around with it anymore but I would have to give up the whole wrap thing and go into a round grip instead. I really liked the Lamkin Crossline when I played it probably next restock of grips that I use are going to be a set of cords.

This thing did not wear out per se, but what was a soft and tacky grip when I put it on and turned hard and slimey in just a couple of weeks. I was shocked at how quickly the feel changed.

I agree that putter grips do not wear like a driver grip. There is probably more wear on them from sliding in and out of the bag than from use.

PURE GRIPS REVIEW / FEEDBACK

First I want to thank PURE for working with MGS in giving Forum Member of the month members 13 free grips to use and try. That is a great deal that for most of us would probably not give PURE a try otherwise. The bellow comments are a reflection of my personal opinions on the grips compared to what I was using previously.

Research

I called up my friend and talked to him about Star Vs PURE grips, I found out that they are made by the same manufacture and with the same materials so they should feel pretty much identical. P2 Wrap = Star Wrap (http://www.stargrip.com/cgi-bin/MensGrip.exe) Pure Pro = Star Sidewinder (http://www.stargrip.com/cgi-bin/SidewinderGrip.exe). Now Star is only available in black and no real cool color custom options, so it is more the little brother to the PURE family of grips. I know one down fall with the Star Grips that I am used to playing have been in humid / wet conditions they get very slick and take a lot of care to keep dry. I was wondering if PURE grip was going to be different in my testing.

First Impressions

Star Wrap / PURE P2 Wrap, both almost felt identical in tackiness, The PURE grip might have felt a hair (and I mean a hair) more waxy but this really probably isn't noticeable to majority of people and is probably the result of adding color to the grip, you can't change the color of pure rubber so plastic or something gets added for the colors to come through.

The Tapper rate of the pure grip seemed to be a hair less then the Star Tour Wraps, that might have been because where I was gripping the PURE was just bellow the three big lines on top where I might have been gripping the star a touch higher. It also could have been a 0.590 core compared to a 0.600 core, the placement of the build up wraps under the right hand... I have a feeling that it could be something very marginal or a figment of my imagination.

The Star Wrap feels and looks more like a traditional leather wrap, by this I mean the wrap creases are deeper then what they are on the PURE wrap, the PURE wrap just looks like it started life as a Pro wrap and they changed the surface design. Where the Star wrap looks like it started life as a leather wrap and they put a round core under it.

On the course

Well I played my first 18 holes with the PURE Grips installed, I personally had to adjust to the feel of the grip, it felt a lot different then what I am used to playing, not a bad thing just different. The front 9 I shot a 1 over par 37 same thing that I have shot before with my Star Wraps on the clubs so obviously the feel wasn't effecting my play much. The front nine started out over cast and cool I loved the conditions I started in. On about 7 the cloud cover cleared and it started getting sunny and hot.

The back nine my first tee shot the grip slipped in my hand from the glove being wet with sweat, I had to switch gloves into a brand new glove and the feel and grip on the club change and effected my play in a negative way. Started fighting the hooks where before I was hitting slight draws and cuts on command. I would say that this had to do with the grip more my interaction between the glove and the grip. The old glove has a hard spot warn into it so it slips a little on all swings I got used to playing it that way, the new glove had no slip at all.

Anyways, I noticed that the PURE grip reacted exactly the same way as my Star grips when my hands started to sweat and the glove got a little wet, the grip started slipping, I still had to make sure i used a dry glove, dry off my hands and dry off the grip before every shot. This is sort of what I expected that the grip would increase some slide and lose a little tackiness under wet and/or humid situations. Where the grips and hands still needed to be taken into consideration before hitting a shot.

Special Notes

1) Not to take business away from PURE grips, but if you wanted to get an idea of what the PURE PRO Grips play like find Star Sidewinder Grips on eBay for $3 a grip roughly and install them. No you don't get the cool color options but you will get an idea of what the material and feel is like for PURE Pro grips if you wanted to go down that road later on.

2) Star Wraps and PURE P2 Wrap have different designs but same sort of materials and a very close feel to them. If you like Wraps I suggest giving one of each a try in Black and then just going from their one which one you like better.

3) I am sort of worried about the color process of PURE grips over the long run, I am worried about them getting waxy feeling sort of how the Golf Pride Tour Wrap G2 feel to me. A bit plastic like or waxy feeling on them. It is WAY too early to tell yet the longevity of the PURE Grips and their feel.

4) I feel that PURE and/or Star are lacking in a Cord option and/ or even a MultiCompound type of line up. This is where Golf Pride seems to have everyone locked into their grips even though they turn waxy feeling after a few weeks of heavy play. If you are a Cord person I have read that Lamkin Crossline Cords are the best in the business, I would like to see a Star Sidewinder or PURE Pro line ups give a full cord option to players.

Conclusion

I give PURE P2 Wraps a rating of 9 out of 10

I think that PURE is a great grip, I have always liked Star a ton, to find out it is the same manufacture and materials just comes down to a price point and small feel changes for the wrap line, I am almost willing to bet looking at the two designs between the Star Sidewinder and the Pro Pure the feel would be the same in the black or pretty dang close.

The reason that they got a 9 is that I am not sure the longevity of the feel in the color grips, will they wear the same way not turning waxy over time as the star grips wear great. I feel star actually gets a better feel over time as they wear in which is weird, will PURE end up doing the same or end up being like Golf Pride?

Damn...I didn't realize you could get your initials printed on them. That's just cool.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

PURE is a great grip and it is highly customizable if you got the bankroll and that is your thing.

I wanted to add something to my review after playing around a little more with the grips.

Star Tour Wrap (the perforated wrap I linked before) has a touch of a flare going into the butt cap. By this I mean if you gripped that grip a little higher then where the bottom line is on the PURE grips then you would feel that little flare in the top of your hand.

PURE P2 Wraps have no flare that I can notice the tapper stays the same all the way into the butt cap which is good thing for people that don't grip the club properly and get there top hand hanging off the end of the club.

If you match the top hand position on the Star Tour Wrap with where the PURE grip has you set your hands bellow the top line then the only difference is that the Star has deeper wrap groove feel to it.

Thanx a lot WD!...Yea, I'm having a hard time keeping my Multi-Compounds on my 68s...They're practically brand new(May) and Mizzy blue/black...I'll play em this season & put the Pures on before I go south in January...

Thanx again for everything WD.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

If the Golf Pride MC feels at all waxy to you just cut them off, I have a feeling you will like the PURE grips better anyways no they don't have cord in them but doubt they will fell waxy or turn waxy as fast as the MCs tend to.

Has PURE made any changes to their grip compound in the last year or so. The reason I ask is when i was sent a 2-7 irons from Scratch golf to demo they had Pure grips on them. Black standard size similar to the GP tour velvet. I found them to be very hard and slick even when brand new (almost like they were dry rotted). Now I keep reading all these great reviews so I was wondering if they had changed anything. I go through 2-3 grip changes a year, but I also put a lot of time in on the range and plenty of rounds. I would like to learn more. My grip of choice right now is either the GP DD2 or the Tour Wrap 2G the wrap when it's real hot and the DD2 normal weather 50-80 degree's 80 and up Tour Wrap 2G.

Thanks, tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Last year I got about 3 months(43 rounds) out of my MCs..I've got 37 rounds on these and they've still got a nice grip....

Can you remove the Decades intact?...If so, I'll take the blue/black off of my 68s & put em on my 59s...I put yellow/black(Steelers) Decade MCs on my 59s but I like the Mizzy colors better...

Have a good one....

Too bad the grips aren't blue/silver, they'd trounce the yellow/black grips any day ;)

You may be right....The black/gold lost the heart of their defense to retirement/cuts so this could be a rough year.....

WD, Can I remove those grips without destroying 'em?....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.......

I haven't done it myself, but know plenty of people who are confident blowing off grips.

Here's a quick description I googled on how to remove grips using an air compressor:

If grip tape was used to install grip shoot some solvent (mineral spirits) into the vent hole, put airgun nozzle into vent hole, apply long burst of air, grip will expand in the "protector" as air bubble travels down the shaft and tries to escape from the mouth of the grip and "pop" out the mouth (place a rag over shaft to catch the solvent (if used) spray. If air doesn't reach mouth of grip, remove airgun and reapply solvent. Once "popped" you can remove the "protector" apply bursts of air while twisting and gently pulling the grip off the shaft. Twist while applying air! You will know where the twisting is needed (if not needed, grip will just slide off shaft on cushion or air). Process is "testy" on thin grips like Callaway OEM, Tour Velvet, and! dried out corded (cut these off). All others can be saved 95% or more of the time as your skill at this method improves.

Damn...I didn't realize you could get your initials printed on them. That's just cool.

I had my full name printed on mine. It is way cool. The funny thing is I have left a wedge by a green and then noticed it later. Someone I know picked it up and had it in their cart. I went back to get it and the guy said, I was wondering whose that was. I said did you look at the grip. He said yeah, are they oversized or what? I said I had them built up with tape and they are oversized, but look at the logo. He said I never thought about looking there for your name.:P

Has PURE made any changes to their grip compound in the last year or so. The reason I ask is when i was sent a 2-7 irons from Scratch golf to demo they had Pure grips on them. Black standard size similar to the GP tour velvet. I found them to be very hard and slick even when brand new (almost like they were dry rotted). Now I keep reading all these great reviews so I was wondering if they had changed anything. I go through 2-3 grip changes a year, but I also put a lot of time in on the range and plenty of rounds. I would like to learn more. My grip of choice right now is either the GP DD2 or the Tour Wrap 2G the wrap when it's real hot and the DD2 normal weather 50-80 degree's 80 and up Tour Wrap 2G.

Thanks, tim

PURE Pro, Star Sidewinder, GP Tour Velvet grips are sort of a different beast then a wrap. They have different firmness and different over all feel then a wrap will in general. I have found majority of wraps to be just a hair softer then non-cord and non-wrap grips. Obviously they are going to feel a lot softer then a typical full cord grip.

So if you are looking to compare the GP Tour Wrap 2G to PURE then the PURE P2 Wrap is your best option. Since I am probably one of the few guys that went into the PURE P2 Wrap for testing instead of the PURE Pro line I'll try and give you a comparison.

Star Tour Wrap (my normal grip)

~ Same manufacture as PURE and feels like about the same compound as well

~ Wrap lines are standard depth on a typical traditional wrap

~ Alignment markings are very minor and clean

PURE P2 Wrap

~ Semi-firm

~ Wrap lines are not deep

~ Alignment markings are pronounced

~ Slight tackiness, not over powering when they are clean

GP Tour

~ Semi-Firm (about the same as the other two)

~ Wrap lines match up closer to Star then PURE from what I recall

~ Alignment markings are closer to PURE P2 Wrap then Star

~ Very tacky from what I remember

I personally hated the GP Tour Wrap 2G and the other original non-tacky wrap they had out. The Non-tacky wrap was very hard and super slick for a wrap. The Tacky new version in the GP Tour Wrap 2G feels like a piece of plastic or waxy to me. I just don't like that compound at all. Star / PURE actually feel like rubber, More Star Then PURE actually but that has to do with PURE having color added to it where star doesn't I think.

Anyways I figured I Would post a picture of the Star Tour Wrap and PURE P2 Wrap next to each other. Both of these grips have 3 wraps of build up under the right hand in the case you thought they looked midsize they are not.

Archived