TESTERS WANTED! ×

How many wedges are in your bag?

HotIce

I have a serious variety of wedges in my bag:

·        Cleveland Zipcore 52 and 56 degree (Use 110 - 70 yards)

·        Ping MD-3 Milled S-Grind 60 degree (Use as 60-65 yards as a lob, and pitching wedge)

·        Ping Mack Daddy M-Grind 64 degree (Use as 40 – 45 yards as a lob, and sand trap wedge). 

Call me CrAzY, but in a typical round I use them all at various times approaching the green. It has been working great for my game, so curious to see how many wedges are in your bag and how is that working out?

• Driver: default_taylormade-small.jpgM1 450
  • Fairway: default_ping-small.jpg.bba83d4f21432de50efc14846abd81cd.jpg i25 #3W 
  • Rescue: default_ping-small.jpg.bba83d4f21432de50efc14846abd81cd.jpg i15 23 Degree
  • Irons: default_ping-small.jpg.bba83d4f21432de50efc14846abd81cd.jpg G Max (#5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
  • Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52 & 56 Degree
  •                   default_callaway-small.jpg.ae8c01d5b99b318879ce60f833a6e5ed.jpg MD-3 Milled S-Grind 60 Degree 
  •                   default_callaway-small.jpg Mack Daddy M-Grind 64 Degree
  • Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.de8760986d210e135ee954aba8648771.jpg White Hot OG 7 Bird Stroke Lab

3 hours ago, HotIce said:

·        Ping MD-3 Milled S-Grind 60 degree (Use as 60-65 yards as a lob, and pitching wedge)

·        Ping Mack Daddy M-Grind 64 degree (Use as 40 – 45 yards as a lob, and sand trap wedge). 

Call me CrAzY, but in a typical round I use them all at various times approaching the green. It has been working great for my game, so curious to see how many wedges are in your bag and how is that working out?

Short answer, not including the PW, I use three other wedges every round. I’m a huge Zipcore fan! I use the CBX line of Cleveland’s offerings and I think they make the most sense for any mid to high handicapper. (Or anyone truly relying on cavity back irons)
My Titleist AP3 set has a 44deg PW and a 48 deg GW.  Well four years ago I couldn’t hit the GW consistently cause it’s got a tiny little face. So I bought three of the original CBX wedges in 50, 56, & 60 deg. In the last 2 years I improved enough to develop an odd gap between PW & the 50, so I replaced the 50 & 56 with a 48 & 54 to even out the distances. They have made my short game pretty reliable and a lot less stressful. 

image.jpg

Titleist Tsi3/Ts2 woods and hybrids

Titlesit AP3 irons

Clevland CBX wedges

Taylormade mallet or Odyssey White Hot center shaft putter. Depends on the day

5.  Pitching wedge and gap wedge (48 degrees) came with my iron set.  Then 52 and 56 degree Ping Glides.  Then 58 degree Volkey that I use as a lob wedge.  58 degree wedge has a steel shaft so if heavier than others (all graphite) making the difference between the 56 and 58 degree better.  Next time, I would buy a 60 degree wedge with a lighter shaft, but I had the Volkey before the 56 degree wedge, which I got because I wanted a club with more bounce.  It was supposed to replace the 58 degree wedge, but I found that for certain shots I wanted something with less bounce.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

I have a Pitching Wedge and Gap Wedge from my set which act as a 10 & 11 iron.  I then carry Vokey 52 & 56 "real" wedges. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I have 4 wedges plus the pitching wedge. I have mizuno t22 in 52/56/60 each with a more aggressive grind as the loft gets higher and then I have on order the jpx 923 hot metal gw which is 48 degrees of loft. My hot metal pro pitching wedge is 42.5. Really nice having a smaller gap between my wedges to have that distance dialed in with the shorter shots. 

1 set wedge (PW), and 2 specialty wedges (54 & 58). It would take a lot of convincing from a fitter to make me change that setup at this point - it's perfect for me.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I currently have 5 wedges! Just got a new set of Cobra Forged Tec X irons upgrading from PXG 0211 Gen2. The Cobra set PW and GW are 3 degrees strong lofted. PXG 0211 PW was 45 deg and Forged Tec X  PW is 42 deg and GW is 48 deg. Then I have 50, 54 and 58 Mizuno T22s. I've only had the Cobra's for 2 rounds now and don't have good distance numbers for the PW and GW yet so kept the 3 Mizunos in the mix. Only hit the Cobra PW once in the 2 rounds and haven't used the GW yet. Avg 9i distance looks to be 153 yds and PW single shot was 138. I have my 50 T22 at 110 yds, 54 at 90 and 58 at 70. So imagine I'll need to keep that GW in there and keep going with the 5 wedges. 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

I have 2 set wedges (PW and GW) and then two specialty wedges (CBX 2 54* and 58*)

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

PXG PW GW 45 and 48. (130, 115). I use the G for flighted shots inside 100
PING 52 56 60. (105, 90, 75)  I rarely hit any of these full so most are well within the range I can hit them.  I do hit the pings much higher so a soft landing or tight pin leads to one of these.  I use the 60 for tight pin chips and sand shots.  Rarely hit it from the fairway on an approach shot.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

On 5/19/2023 at 8:51 AM, Mr Orange said:

I have 4 wedges plus the pitching wedge. I have mizuno t22 in 52/56/60 each with a more aggressive grind as the loft gets higher and then I have on order the jpx 923 hot metal gw which is 48 degrees of loft. My hot metal pro pitching wedge is 42.5. Really nice having a smaller gap between my wedges to have that distance dialed in with the shorter shots. 

On the day you posted this I placed an order for 923 HM 6-GW and was told there is a 4-5 week back order fir all Mizuno clubs.  I have been considering adding 52* and 56* S23s because if wanting smaller gaps.

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

On the day you posted this I placed an order for 923 HM 6-GW and was told there is a 4-5 week back order fir all Mizuno clubs.  I have been considering adding 52* and 56* S23s because if wanting smaller gaps.

I would definitely recommend it. Otherwise the highest loft in your set will be 48 degrees. Aside from my putter my 60 degree wedge is one of my most used clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Mr Orange said:

I would definitely recommend it. Otherwise the highest loft in your set will be 48 degrees. Aside from my putter my 60 degree wedge is one of my most used clubs.

I’m definitely going to round out the set with 2 wedges.  The 923 HM set gos up to a 54*Sw and that gap just seemed too large. 

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

I’m definitely going to round out the set with 2 wedges.  The 923 HM set gos up to a 54*Sw and that gap just seemed too large. 

I think you will be happy doing that. Love Mizuno btw. I have the 923 hot metal pros 5-GW and then those other 3 wedges I mentioned.

Right now 4, but may be doing some tweaking in the 50 degree area. 

Love the S23 wedges from Mizuno and the PW P790 is awesome, just need the proper wedge to go in between those. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

46*, 50*, 54*, 58*..All are specialty wedges. Cleveland CBX2's, and a CBX Zipcore for the 46*. Can get a 2-piece to check up on the green with these...

Edited by drb1956
correcting

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

Pitching 

Gap

Sand

Lob

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Timely question for me. Went back to Japanese blades with old style lofts. So PW at 48 took 50 degree GW out of bag.  The risk/reward of either of my forged LWs (Honma or Wilson Staff) make it discretionary at most. Therefore, going out tomorrow with 2 wedges. 🙏

PW and 56/10 SW.

WITB: PXG Gen 6 Driver (stiff Haz RDX Stiff -1/2”), Callaway UW17 (Haz RDX Stiff), Callaway UW19 (Haz RDX Stiff -1”), Takomo 101 4-PW (KBS 105 Reg 2 flat), Miz Pro225 G (ProjX IO 6.0), Wilson Staff HT (DynGold 120 Stiff, Honma Forged 60 (SteelFiber1 10CW XStiff), Tony Penna heel shafted square flange as

I’m curious to hear thoughts on gapping between wedges. What do people find gives them the best options on the course? 

Currently have PW (41*), 52*, 56*, 60* but thinking of bending my 52* and my 56* down 2* to give me some better gapping.

Difference between my PW and my 52 is about 20 yds and I tend to find myself with a fair number of shots in between that I have to land short with the 52* most of the time. 

I could hit a soft PW but find that I don’t have as much control as I’d like. I tend to do ½ and ¾ swings with my 56 and 60 when needed but for some reason don’t have the same confidence with my PW (perhaps the bounce and grind have something to do with it). 

Anyway, curious to hear what others have to done to address their gapping. 

Driver: Callaway XR 16

3W and 4-Hybrid: Adams Golf Blue

Irons: Rogue ST max, 5-PW

Wedges: Callaway MD3 (56) and MD4 (52), Vokey SM9 (60)

Putter: Oddysey Versa Works Tank V-Line

Ball: Vice Pro Zero

Currently have Callaway Apex Forged 4 - PW.  The PW stock is 45* where my old TM was 48* so there is a bit of a gap between that and my 52, 56, 60 Vokeys.  Grooves might be a tad worn on the 52 (definitely on the 56sw) so it might be time to replace it with a 50*.   

Side question - what are your feelings/results with bending lofts?  I could potentially bend the Apex 45* a bit weaker to 46* or 47* or go the other way and bend the Vokey 52* down to 51* or 50*.  What kinds of limits are there on loft adjustments like this before you lose functionality?  And do you have to also adjust the lie another degree up or flat to compensate?

Thanks,

Jim

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

I used to use my set PW and AW, and then CBX Zipcore 56 and 60.  Now I use a CBX 54 and Jaws Full Face 58, and am in process of switching out my set AW for a 48 or 50 CBX as well.  I love the CBX line for full swings (the 54 is maybe my favorite club), and feel really comfortable with the Jaws now as my lob.  I also have a Jaws 64 full face but don't use it every round, but it's great for some courses and conditions.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

On 5/12/2023 at 2:51 PM, HotIce said:

For me, I guess it must just be what I was raised on and that was a 52, 56, and 60-degree wedges (not including the PW). For me, I feel like that difference in lofts is basically perfect, in that the yardages I hit, are pretty easy for me to recall and to pull out when needed. I like others have stated to use all of mine during a round as well. I sometimes pull all of them when I am 100 yards or less just because I like the convenience of different shots that they provide. I even find my 52 provides enough good check on longer green side shots that I use it a lot of the time. I hate to use a "cop-out" answer but a lot of wedge decision I feel is feel based and really depends on how you like your shots. I can hit the ball pretty far (driver - 315-320 average carry), so I don't like stronger lofted wedges because then I feel like I am competing with my PW. Again, all personal preference but I appreciate being a voice in the mix!

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

I've got 5 at the moment (P, U 50 degree, 52, 56, 60), mainly because I recently purchased a new iron set with the U wedge.

I need to get 54 and 58 to replace the last 3 wedges.. but for some reason, my yardages are weird with my 50 degree.

Full Swing - 50 goes 95 yards while my 52 goes 100 yards. Maybe it's the way I'm swinging things or the shaft.. but can't figure out what the right gapping is.

David

4-

45* P

50* gap

55* sand

60* lob

In the bag
Callaway Paradym triple diamond 
Callaway Paradym 3 wood
Ping G410 19* Hybrid
Ping G425 9 wood
Callaway Apex pro combo set 5-P
Cleveland Zipcore 50-55-60
Odyssey 

4 Wedges for me, but I just got some new irons and may need to adjust because of the gap between my 50 degree Wedge and PW. But here is my list:

PW - 43

Vokey SM9s - 50, 54, 58. 

I am worried that there is too much between my new PW and the 50 degree wedge. I just got my new irons last week and haven't fully dialed in my distances, but I might be switching up the wedges here a little bit, depending on what the PW does. My old set had a Gap wedge that was a 47 degrees, so I am going to have to figure something out with it all. More to come once I get out there and keep testing. 

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9Deg, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

TaylorMade SIM2 3 Wood 15 Deg

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue - 3 19 Deg

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW

Vokey SM9 Wedges 48, 52, and 58 Deg

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 ( Still have my Fastback No. 1, it is in time out for a bit!)

All carried around in a customized Ping Hoofer Carry bag!

Check out my YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/@maddenbarnes

My swing in slo-mo: