Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Sunflower seeds: healthy snack or just annoying?

I like sunflower seeds.  I've chewed on them since I was a kid.  Hydroplanes were the only "big league" sports event in my home town in the 60's, and I remember using the seeds as pretend-hydros, driving them around the course made up of the living room couch, and when they would crash, I'd pop it into my mouth.  Weird?  Yeah, probably not something I'd do as an adult, and never thought about the whole "what happens to the driver" thing...c'mon, I was 8 or 10 years old...maybe I'm oversharing...anyways, nowadays I seem to see the damn shells everywhere!  On the fairways it's no big deal, but the discarded shells are on the tee box and most egregiously on the putting greens!

Now maybe you just brush the things away like a bit of sod or tuft of grass, but that thing was in somebody's mouth a few minutes ago, and it's just gross.  Not to mention how discourteous it is to leave it on the green.  How often does that shell affect my game?  Once that I know of, where a perfect 40 yard pitch got deflected away from the hole and instead of a 2, I was putting for 3.  Aggravating for sure.  How much work is it to spit those shells into the rough?  Every time I find these things on the green my patience meter goes down a notch.

What are your thoughts?  Am I being too sensitive?  Are sunflower seed shells an impactful impediment to golf enjoyment for you?

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

I say this as someone who frequently has sunflower seeds on the course. 

They should be spit nowhere near the green. That’s disrespecting the course. I typically spit shells out in the rough or a bottle. People leave enough broken tees on the tee box, we don’t need to add sunflower seed shells to that disaster. 

Driver: Mizuno STZ220 HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX

UDI: Titleist U505 TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Irons: Ping G425 4-PW True Temper Elevate 95

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 48,52,56,60 Dynamic Gold Spinner

Putter: Taylormade TP Hydroblast Bandon 3 TP Stepped

Sunflower seeds should be banned at all golf courses; it might be a State Law.  😆  I've seen signs posted in some pro shops that sunflower seeds were forbidden.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You can buy them already shelled.  The shells are annoying and frankly unnecessary. People don’t spit their chaw on greens, frying, tee boxes etc.  why leave sunflower seeds hulls everywher?

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

personally as someone who smokes but don't like to smoke on the course I almost always have sun flower seeds I also always keep a empty body amour bottle to spit my shells in but i don't see the issue with them but i definably agree if you cant put them in a bottle or at least in the rough then you don't need to be chewing them

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

On 5/13/2023 at 7:36 PM, GolferXY said:

I like sunflower seeds.  I've chewed on them since I was a kid.  Hydroplanes were the only "big league" sports event in my home town in the 60's, and I remember using the seeds as pretend-hydros, driving them around the course made up of the living room couch, and when they would crash, I'd pop it into my mouth.  Weird?  Yeah, probably not something I'd do as an adult, and never thought about the whole "what happens to the driver" thing...c'mon, I was 8 or 10 years old...maybe I'm oversharing...anyways, nowadays I seem to see the damn shells everywhere!  On the fairways it's no big deal, but the discarded shells are on the tee box and most egregiously on the putting greens!

Now maybe you just brush the things away like a bit of sod or tuft of grass, but that thing was in somebody's mouth a few minutes ago, and it's just gross.  Not to mention how discourteous it is to leave it on the green.  How often does that shell affect my game?  Once that I know of, where a perfect 40 yard pitch got deflected away from the hole and instead of a 2, I was putting for 3.  Aggravating for sure.  How much work is it to spit those shells into the rough?  Every time I find these things on the green my patience meter goes down a notch.

What are your thoughts?  Am I being too sensitive?  Are sunflower seed shells an impactful impediment to golf enjoyment for you?

I find them annoying. Just a mess everywhere and not what I enjoy seeing. If they are picked up or cleaned up fair enough, but yeah when left around everywhere. Not a fan.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have not witnessed sunflower seeds on the course here, but I would find the shells a nuisance if they were on/around the green and affecting approach and finesse shots. If in the rough, etc., fine, but I would prefer to not see them if I had to choose. I have chewed on tens of thousands of seeds as a former baseball player who did not chew tobacco, and I remember dugouts being littered with them as a kid all the way up through college. It definitely makes a mess, so I can see why it isn't wanted to be seen on a golf course. My cheeks get raw just thinking about it. As @Blaine Dye mentioned, it is not hard to carry around an empty water bottle and spit the shells into that.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

As a former ball player who loved sunflower seeds, I do not love them on the course. I prefer some gum now that I do not dip anymore.

As for others I honestly rarely see seeds on the course, I find more cigar ashes on the green to be honest. As long as they are not on the green or tee box than its fine.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 5/13/2023 at 7:21 PM, Kenny B said:

Sunflower seeds should be banned at all golf courses; it might be a State Law.  😆  I've seen signs posted in some pro shops that sunflower seeds were forbidden.  

+1. Sunflower seed shells, cigar burns, and chew on tees and greens are annoying.  I have no issue with folks partaking in their use/consumption but there is no need to crap up the course with them.  It simply comes down to folks not giving two-$hit$ about others.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Agree with most everyone else, sunflower seed shells should not be on or near the green.  Annoying as heck & disrespecting the course!

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

14 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

+1. Sunflower seed shells, cigar burns, and chew on tees and greens are annoying.  I have no issue with folks partaking in their use/consumption but there is no need to crap up the course with them.  It simply comes down to folks not giving two-$hit$ about others.

This! Don't be selfish. Respect others and the course. Apply those rules to almost activity (in life) and we are good to go. 

I like sunflower seeds generally. But do not chew them on the course. I stick to  a granola bar or similar if I need some energy.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

I only eat sunflower seeds in the spring time and only when im at work watching the baseball or softball games. Otherwise I could really do without them. They definitely aren't healthy with the amount of sodium that is in them. Moderation is key. I actually really like the BIG's brand Taki's. 

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small:Stealth Plus+  Diamana ZF60 Flex X Shaft

3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F8

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSI3

Irons: :titleist-small: 2019 T100s Limited Edition Black

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM6s 52, 56, & 60 (Black Heads)

Putter: :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5

Gear: Bushnell Wingman & Shot Scope Pro LX+w/H4 for yardages. 

Stat Tracking: The Grint App

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

As a former ball player who loved sunflower seeds, I do not love them on the course. I prefer some gum now that I do not dip anymore.

As for others I honestly rarely see seeds on the course, I find more cigar ashes on the green to be honest. As long as they are not on the green or tee box than its fine.

Same here - can't say I've ever seen seeds anywhere, but I am constantly wiping or kicking away piles of ash, especially on the greens. There's no need for it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

As a former baseball player, my experience with sunflower seeds is sucking the salt off them and spitting them in a cup with the other bench players and pitchers who weren't scheduled. We all got better at that than baseball. I had a .500 spitting average at one point.

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

I do not mind golfers partaking in the snack, just don't spit them out on the greens or where they may interfere with golf swings.  There was one time where we had shells on the green and that was annoying as heck.  If you're on a course just take care of it don't leave trash and debris all over the place.

JCgolfer

Make small improvements!

Making upgrades to my outdated golf set.

Love reading and keeping up with the new golf tech.

LOL, I just had this conversation on my weekend round. I get the fascination with seeds. I coached baseball forever and its a hard habit to break. But please, If you are chewing them, so not spit the shells on tees and greens. Greens especially!!

Carry Bag - :titleist-small: Hybrid 14

Cart Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 (Bought in Apr '23)

Driver - :callaway-small: Epic Flash equipped with a Mitsubishi TENSEI AV 65 Stiff shaft

3w - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft 

Hybrid (3 high loft) - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft

Irons - :callaway-small: X-Hot Pro 4-W equipped with Rifle ProjectX95 6.5 shaft

Wedges - :titleist-small: :vokey-small: 48*, 52*, 56* equipped with True Temper shafts

Putter - :titleist-small: :scotty-small: Fastback Select 1.5 equipped with mid size super stroke grip. Weighted 15g in toe and heel

Ball - :titleist-small: Pro V1

All other clubs are gripped with Golf Pride mid size tour wrap grips with 2 layers of tape