TESTERS WANTED! ×

Old Putters...

Damon

I picked up 3 old used putters this past week, $35 total. They are very different from one another, and 2 of them are "unique" looking. I picked them up because I want to play around with refinishing (more likely paintfilling the logos), and I want to start collecting. I figure this is an inexpensive and potentially fun way to start a golf club collection.

Let me know if you have seen these or played around with these putters before - I'm interested in your feedback.

Here is what I picked-up.

TaylorMade CB2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylormade-CB-2-putter-35-G167?item=180726930963&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8320969562745926459#ht_612wt_754

This putter is about 35", and I believe very flat (which I think fits my setup and stroke perfectly). The interesting thing about this putter is the hosel. While it is face balanced, when I balance the putter on my finger, I can spin it around multiple times very easily. In other words, there seems to be minimal resistance to twisting. Because of this, I find I can easily take the club back and through without feeling I am fighting the putter from opening too much, and it squares itself easily.

Does anyone know of a current putter with similar hosel/face balance/ characteristics that I described above?

The putter has some kind of steel face plate attached, and it actually gives of a nice soft yet solid feel. The ball rolls true too.

I used the Ping Putting app, and scored +4.3, +2.4, and +4.4. These were by far my best and most consistent scores when using the app.

Wilson Staff 2010.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILSON-STAFF-MILLED-2010-35-INCH-PUTTER-RIGHT-HANDED-/170838281913?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item27c6c14eb9#ht_799wt_1344

This putter is about 36", and very upright. I am guessing there is a good 7* or so difference in the lie between this putter and the TaylorMade. This putter is made from brass, and is easy to align. If you have a straight back/thru stroke, then this putter swings itself. It's a little too long and upright for me, so when I use it I have a tendency to leave the putts out to the right somewhat. The putter has a nice solid thud/feel when you hit the sweet spot, and a "ting" when you miss it.

When I used the Ping Putter app on this putter, my scores were more in the +1 range, and the face was consistently open.

Maxfil Tad Moore TM-2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxfli-Tad-Moore-TM-2-Golf-Club-Putter-/251051885591?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3a73dbc417#ht_500wt_1127

This putter is about 35", and I think normal 71* or so lie.

I emailed Tad Moore last night asking for specs on this putter, and he responded back to me in about 30 minutes(pretty cool). He said this putter is made from 1018 Carbon Steel, and 320 - 325 grams. The one I bought is in decent shape (top line a little dinged up), but is nice overall. What is interesting to me is that the feel/sound from this putter is similar to the TaylorMade CB2.

I am probably going to have this putter flattened significantly, to be similar to the TaylorMade. I am also thinking of taking on some kind of refinishing project with this putter. But I am sure that will be awhile in the future.

When I used the Ping Putter app on this putter, they were similar to the Wilson.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I mess around with a lot of old putters and I collect them sometimes I game them. I have my origional Ping Anser that i bought new in the mid 70s I have quite a few Mac Gregor putters including a M85 Nicklaus with the origional leather wrap around grip I purchased it at a flea market for $5 a couple of years ago. I inadverntly started collecting old Spalding T P Mills putters after we closed my friends golf shop. Somehow I ended up with a couple of Bobby Grace Mark 4 tour heads from the same source. I have a couple of old Spalding Cash In putters. I had a couple of 8802 Wilsons but i sold them a couple of years ago. That is a story within itself because I dont usually sell my stuff I may trade for something else i want. Putter collecting is a cheap hobby if you mess with the "outdated stuff" Heck collect what you want have fun with it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've thought about doing this but haven't sprung for anything yet - super tempting just for how cheap the darn things are - refinish them and you've got a brand new putter for $30.... ok

but man, you've got some LONG putters, I float closer to a 31", maybe more of a 30.5"

I played today and putted with a MacGregor Nicklaus putter I bought about 30 years ago. And I still have my Ping Anser (bought in the early 70's) and a Hogan putter I bought in 1967. Guess I'm revealing how old I am. I don't really collect old putters, I just keep the ones I used long ago and like best. I still buy a new putter occasionally, but it usually gets traded in for another. I'm more likely to be putting with an old putter than with a new one. I putt the same no matter what putter I use, so it's fun sometimes to go out with an old putter.

I have a Nike Unitized Neo.

nike_putter_400x600_0.jpg

It's extremely stable, has a pretty satisfying sound at impact, and a nice feel. In my mind it is the best "Poor Man's Byron Channel Island" you can find. I actually like the Neo's neck a little better. Too bad Nike did't make a Method Neo... :(

Channel Island:

EYINA.jpg

I played today and putted with a MacGregor Nicklaus putter I bought about 30 years ago. And I still have my Ping Anser (bought in the early 70's) and a Hogan putter I bought in 1967. Guess I'm revealing how old I am. I don't really collect old putters, I just keep the ones I used long ago and like best. I still buy a new putter occasionally, but it usually gets traded in for another. I'm more likely to be putting with an old putter than with a new one. I putt the same no matter what putter I use, so it's fun sometimes to go out with an old putter.

Wow what a relief I thought I was the only one who done stuff like that!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm puttin my 8802 in the bag today...First bagged this exact putter on my birthday, April 12, 1960...Only change is that I put a black/pink Breast cancer grip on it...I also added 10gr of lead tape to bring it to 340gr..Face is as smooth as glass...Fairways & Greens 4ever....

You'll have to post a picture, I have no idea what that is :)

Archived