TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you handle players who hit into you?

It happens once in a while. It's happened to me.  You smooth a great swing, hit it on the button, and you get an extra 20 unexpected yards.  I yell "Fore" and say a prayer to the golf gods that I don't hit or hurt anyone, then apologize at the earliest opportunity.

Last Sunday the group behind us had a big hitter who laced one 30 yards past me, with a hot roll that missed me by  a couple of yards.  No warning, no apology.

Happened again a couple of holes later, and this time I had to do the Fred Astaire and dodge the damn thing.  No "Fore", no apology.

How would you handle tbis situation?

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

Talk to them, let them know how dangerous it is, and if they're being unneccesarily difficult or aggressive, call the club house and let them know to have a marshall pull them off the course. 

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :ping-small: :titleist-small: :nike-small: :wilson-small:O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, OG Bronze Anser, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Method Midnight 007, Wilson Staff 8802

Depends on the situation, am I in a slow group? Talk to them on the next tee box about it then tell them to play through.

If that's not the case I'd consider the hole layout, is it a blind shot or am I putting on the green? Either way we're talking about it, I've been hit by a ball once, we were making our way down the fairway to our tee shots. Guy behind us was a group of older guys who were upset with the days pace(backed up 2 deep on a few par 3s), we offered to let them play early on but everyone knew there was no point. Every hole they'd drive up and be out of the cart swinging and talking while they waited for the Tee box.

I was still driving the cart when the ball hit by back right shoulder, I stop look back and the next person is teeing up. I hit my 3W back over the tee box and waited in the fairway. They just left.

Ian Lydon

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9.5

3W: Cobra LTDx

3H: Callaway XR 16 Pro

Irons: Titleist T100 (2023) PW-6, Titleist T200 (2023) 5-4

Wedges: Sub 70 (52 and 58 Tester)

Putter: Ping Anser G2

If it happens it is 99/100 an accident. Give them a wave or congratulate them on a great / career shot. If it happens from the same group multiple times, remind them that they need to wait and inform the ranger or call the shop. 

I have been hit by a ball struck not by more foursome 3 times.

Once with a stray drive on a course with overlapping holes - hit my arm after one hop from probably 80 yards away with driver. All good but had a welt. Finished playing.

Once on a par 5 approach… it was rolling when it struck my foot. Was a fellow member and I totally pulled the Happy Gilmore line.

I hit my friend with a drive when his group waved me through. He parked left and I snap hooked it into his stomach.

I have hit myself once… practicing and ball ricocheted into my face - lost some teeth.

Ping 425 LST 

Titleist 18* and 24* hybrids

Callway Apex Pro Combo Set (5-PW)

Callway Jaws Wedges (50*, 54*, 58*)

Bettinardi Queen Bee Putter

I’ve been on both sides of that, sometimes you think you got the space to hit your drive without coming close, and then bang one out there 10 yards from the group ahead of you. As long as you’re yelling fore when it’s close I think you’re good. That said, if it happens again, I’d fully expect them to step on my ball and give me the business on the next tee. 

Driver -Adams.png.4a55c5de7324627f67192af663035123.png Speedline F11 8.5°

WoodTaylorMade.png.45cd3b99702fd97787bf7959e5a23980.png SLDR 16.5°

Hybrid - Callaway.png.a491223c3e2866e981c547eee04defb8.png  Apex 23°

Irons -Titleist.png.24064e9d1a4c68621e6906d0130398cb.png 762 DCI  5 -PW

Wedges -Adams.png.4a55c5de7324627f67192af663035123.png Tom Watson RC14 52°, 56°, 60°

Putter Yes!.png.451dba2a835bb9fbe7b3bbb57abf633c.png Valerie

BallsNoodz.png.f11f61e8cb08b785062fdfac6827e9d0.png The Noodz!

5 hours ago, GolferXY said:

It happens once in a while. It's happened to me.  You smooth a great swing, hit it on the button, and you get an extra 20 unexpected yards.  I yell "Fore" and say a prayer to the golf gods that I don't hit or hurt anyone, then apologize at the earliest opportunity.

Last Sunday the group behind us had a big hitter who laced one 30 yards past me, with a hot roll that missed me by  a couple of yards.  No warning, no apology.

Happened again a couple of holes later, and this time I had to do the Fred Astaire and dodge the damn thing.  No "Fore", no apology.

How would you handle tbis situation?

The second time the ball is getting hit right back at them.

Frank musolino 

As long as the person who hit into you apologizes and yelled Fore and it’s the first time it happens, this is the acceptable etiquette. When it becomes an impatient/poor attitude individual then action needs to be taken. Sometimes a call to the pro shop for a Ranger isn’t enough to discourage it from happening again. I often play with guys that are former Hockey/baseball players that can hit the ball over 300 yards and will always be courteous to other players if hitting into other groups(Apologize & will make sure greens/fairways are clear for the rest of the round ). If someone has an “attitude problem” I have no problem giving a stern warning to those who are disrespectful…

:callaway-small: Jaws 58 wedge

:callaway-small:Paradym 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, AW, GW

:callaway-small: Paradym 3wood, 5wood, 7wood and Driver

:odyssey-small: White hot OG Seven putter

At my old home course there were a lot of places on the back 9 where you can't see the landing zone from the tee, so I would get hit into a lot. But I was a single walking so they usually had no idea I was there. These situations I never got too upset because they were very apologetic. However, in other situations where the course is backed up or guys can see me and hit anyways. The first time I yell, tell them to back off. And only once have I pulled an 8i and hit it back towards them. There's no where to go, you can see there's no where to go, so you're just an ass at this point.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

About 15 years ago we were hit into as we were leaving the green area.  My playing partner was hit in the head and required an ambulance and 12 staples in his skull.  It was frightening.  I thought a tree limb cracked over our heads.  That’ was his skull!!  After that my attitude changed.  Its never ever ok to hit close to anyone or hit one back at a group that hit into you.  Just imagine having to explain to their spouse, kids etc that you killed their husband, Dad etc because they were holding you up.  You may lose a half hour of your day but someone can lose their life.

I would agree it depends on the situation. The one you described @GolferXY sounds like he was just being an a-hole, maybe in a rush idk. He obviously knows he can hit it that far. I’m usually non confrontational, been described as a gentle giant many times.l but I would’ve waited at the next tee box for him offered him to play through and also brought to his attention golf etiquette about warning people. 

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small:Stealth Plus+  Diamana ZF60 Flex X Shaft

3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F8

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSI3

Irons: :titleist-small: 2019 T100s Limited Edition Black

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM6s 52, 56, & 60 (Black Heads)

Putter: :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5

Gear: Bushnell Wingman & Shot Scope Pro LX+w/H4 for yardages. 

Stat Tracking: The Grint App

Totally situational. 320 yard hole and someone rolls onto the green? Nice shot. I could tell differnt people were jerks, so I've hit balls back before or even embed the ball for them in the fairway, or rough. Even had a teammate in high school hit one back at an opposing team during a practice round. The other team skipped holes and the coach had them hit into us. Later, there was a scuffle with their coach and my teammate at a local McDonalds. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Once is a shot that just got pured and ran away from them. 

Twice is intentional, and their ball is being placed on a tee.

Saying "hit it back at them" is a grade A moron move to make. You never, ever do that. Not just because two wrongs don't make a right, it's because you are now placing THEM in danger of being hit, and you may hit someone in the group that has absolutely nothing to do with the person that's hit into you. That's absurd and I truly hope anyone saying that is just being a keyboard warrior, not someone who actually in real life thinks intentionally hitting a ball back into a group is ever the right thing to do.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

First time, I give them a wave point out where their ball landed. Second time I wait for them to get closer get a feel if they're aware of what happened or if it was accidental. Third time I'm waiting for them to say something, anything after that I'm picking up their ball and making sure they see me do it. 

If it happens one time I yell back "is that all you got"? If it happens continuously we are gonna have words!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

1 time... stuff happens. 2x or more, that's when we have a conversation. Unacceptable. 

D-  Titleist  TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

3w - Titleist TSR2 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB - Titleist TSi 18* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

DI - Mizuno FliHi 3i w/ UST Mamiya ESX Hybrid Stiff 60g

Irons - 4-PW Takomo 101T w/ KBS Tour Stiff 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 54/10 60/10 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

I've only had it happen a few times, but twice it was with my son with me. We don't play slow, so to me unless you hit a flier there is never an excuse to hit into me. The first time it happened the ball missed our cart by about 5 feet. Thankfully, he was still in the cart. I went into pissed off dad mode, and threw their ball back towards their tee box (no, not the right thing to do, but I was HOT under the collar). They had been playing closer than what I would consider normal pace of play, one of them was a long hitter and knew it, and I had had enough of it. This was on the 9th hole and it took everything I had in me to not confront that group in the parking lot, but I knew that was not the correct thing to do. 

It also happened a few weeks ago and it was a bit of a blind corner, with our cart hidden by that corner. A younger kid hit a great tee shot that landed a good 20 yards from our cart but was parallel to it. This one I believe was a genuine accident. We finished the hole and waited at the next tee box to let them play through. The young man apologized and all was good. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

If it's the first time I let it go and just wave back at them. If it happens a second time I hope their playing a good ball because it just became mine. Only happened once when it became my new found ball and for some reason the hitter didn't bother to come and ask where his ball is/was, (could have been because the guys playing with him most likely told him I was the martial arts instructor for the base security personnel). I did give him the ball back after the round and just said be more careful next time, you may hit into a general and that would be a lot worse for your time in the military, a year or two doing KP or guard duty really sucks big time, he got the point. 

Total Callaway bag - except putter

Not sure which is more annoying to me.  A group playing slow in front of us not allowing us to play through or one behind us pushing us when we are also waiting for the group ahead of us.  Everyone has hit into someone else on accident at some point.  No sense to get worked up over that.  I usually just keep moving unless they come to apologize at which time I will tell them, "nice shot."  If it is obviously not a mistake and happens multiple times (and after I make sure the guy isn't huge 😉)  the ball is pocketed.  Only had this happen once and he never came and asked about it.  

Driver - Titleist TS2 

3 Wood - TaylorMade Rocketballz 2

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue knockoffs

Irons - Taylormade Burner 2.0

52 Degree - Cleveland CG14

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey BV

60 Degree - Ping Glide 3.0

Ball - Depends if I find in or have to pay for it.

I carry two flintknock pistols in my bag for this very reason. Resolve any disputes on the course with a good ole fashioned duel.

If i stop posting in here, I lost

Lefty Gang

Cally Mavrik 10.5 - Rogue White 60 TX

Cobra Radspeed 5w at 16* - Motore F1 7x

Srixon ZU85 3i - Tensei Blue 80tx

Srixon Z785 4-PW - DG X100

Cally Jaws MD5 Raw 52*

MD3 56* & 60

Scotty Phantom X5.5

I have hit into the group in front of me.  I don't have a long drive off the tee and had a fabulous shot. It didn't hit them but rolled up towards them about 20 yards short.  I felt terrible and apologized.

I've also been hit into by the group behind on slow play days.  I usually just stand by there ball looking at them with the "mom" look and hands on my hips.  I wait a good couple of minutes before I move.  That usually works but sometimes you just gotta tell them they need to back off!

B

If it happens once,  I would call it accidental and I'll give them the stare down especially if they didn't yell fore. More than once and I'll call the ranger and let him handle it. Guess I've seen too many videos of brawls on the course or golf parking lot. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If it rolls up on you let it go, tip your hat etc.  There is no excuse for a ball flying over your head if you are in sight (blind shot or hunting for ball in woods, I can give benefit of doubt once)

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 9.5 Driver

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3/5 wood

:callaway-small: Big Bertha 4/5 hybrid

:callaway-small: Big Bertha  6- A irons

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy sand wedge 54/58 degrees

:cleveland-small:  Frontline Elevado

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft X balls

I've been lucky enough to not be hit or hit anyone but i'm sure it'll happen. I have had guys who hit and it lands 20 yards behind us, as we are trying to swing but usually it's just the one time. The worst is when you get guys who start getting pissed at pace of play and want to hit as soon as they can, fully knowing that the course is packed ahead and there's no point in going ASAP.

:taylormade-small: Stealth driver HD 12°

:taylormade-small: Stealh 5 wood, all stock

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4i-PW, AW

:taylormade-small: hi-toe raw 56°

:taylormade-small:MySpyder gt putter

Well, the second time, I was on the green of a short reachable Par 4.  I was sizing up my putt, in full view of the tee when a ball came bounding across the creek in front of the green but my buddy warned me and I stopped before the ball would have hit me.   finished up. and then waited for the foursome behind us.  The looks on their faces were of the "there's 4 of us and only one of him" variety.  One guy was looking pretty smug, and when he approached the ball that had whizzed by me, I said "nice shot", and we had a short conversation about calling "Fore".  My issue wasn't with the hitting into us so much as the lack of any warning, because as many of you have said, sometimes we get one of those unexpected bombs.   But by the looks on the faces it was clear they were just being jerks.

His attitude remained smug and belligerent, so I walked away.  Those clowns were just not worth the time as they'll never learn to be courteous.  

-XY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

once is a mistake or someone really hit a good shot.  as long as they yell fore, or at least apologize then I'm good.  2x or more isn't an accident.  I'd take the flag out when I finish the hole and place it off to the side of the green.  that should be a message when they don't know where to aim.  I haven't done this yet, but saw someone else mention it somewhere before and thought it was great.  When I was young kid just learning to golf at a local crappy course that had a short par 4.  It was the second hole and we were walking to the 1st green.  We heard someone yell four to the group on the green of #2, the tee shot came down and hit an older guy straight in the head.  He dropped to the ground like a wet fish, had to call an ambulance and rush him away. 

Point it out the first time and see if they apologize as most will do when they catch up to you.  Then let it go.  If it continues then you could have words with them, hit their ball back at them, hit their ball into the woods or water, or call the proshop.  Think the best way to handle it would be to let the golf course management handle it.  Handling a jerk by being a jerk accomplishes nothing. I always make sure the group in front of us is out of my distance before I hit.   No need to even get close.  Golf should be fun.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE