TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you handle players who hit into you?

I've only had the single instances where it was pretty obvious it was unintentional.  I'm pretty non-confrontational but I like to pretend that if it escalated I would do something clever or stupid or otherwise memorable.

I've hit into the group ahead of me only once; again, a nuked drive that rolled up to them.  I felt AWFUL!  An overreaction on my part, but ever since then if I've been in that situation I wait long enough to get heckled by my own group or hit a shorter club and layup instead.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I agree with most. 1 time is a mistake and as long as they yelled fore and a "sorry" I'll wave it off. 2x then I want to hit it back but I really have not stomach for confrontations when I'm trying to have fun. I'll call the proshop and ask for ranger assistance in talking to them. Talk the safety thing yada yada. But I will grind that ball in as deep as I can in the turf. I didn't say I was an angel guys. 😈

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

On my home course their are a couple of places that from the tee you can’t see players hitting their second shots.

The first time I will give them a pass, the second time I will say something., the third time their ball is headed back to them.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

Getting hit into sucks and hitting into another group just makes me feel terrible, but in today's world (especially here in the US) it's best to keep the emotions in check. It's just like road rage IMO. Yeah it sucks, but you're better off taking the high road than taking a chance the guy pulls out a weapon or causes an accident. I really like the note idea @Tom the Golf Nut mentioned. That to me, seems like an easy way to handle it and keeps you at a distance to (hopefully) prevent a confrontation.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

" I'd take the flag out when I finish the hole and place it off to the side of the green.  that should be a message when they don't know where to aim".

I like it!

-XY 

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

Happened to me a few months ago husband and wife and I told them to stop 🛑 then the wife hit down again and I threw her ball in the rubbish bin at the next tee. I advised the Pro and he had a word with them and apparently they did it now and then so the pro banned them for a week but most people don’t complain lol 😆 but I did….

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

If they yell fore the first time, then I get it.  If they do it a second time and not a blind shot, then that’s an issue.  If private club, tell the head pro after round.  

if no fore first time and no fore second time (if not at a private club), turn around and fire it back at them.  Be prepared for a fight.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

1 hour ago, Shinnman said:

if no fore first time and no fore second time (if not at a private club), turn around and fire it back at them.  Be prepared for a fight.  

I know some will get upset with this approval but I agree. Firing back at them doesn’t mean teeing it up and hitting driver so the ball goes all the way back to them but rather hit whatever club you have in hand(typically is going to be an iron) back in their direction. Nobody gets hurt and they get the point.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My operations manager once told me "once is an accident, twice is a coincidence and three times is a trend."  In this circumstance, twice is too much of a coincidence!  Someone can hit the shot of their life and have it roll (or fly) up to you.  I agree with everyone, take the high road, recognize the great shot and move on.  If it happens again, it takes more action on your part to insure it doesn't become a trend!

My home course could be considered a resort destination course.  As a result, visitors who are paying probably more than they should are (a) likely playing with rental clubs and (b) because of the cost, they often feel a higher degree of entitlement.  That can be a recipe for being hit more than not!

I've been hit several times.  Including on my leg, groin (yep, not fun) and the worst directly on the side of my nose!  We were playing in Myrtle Beach, it was the first hole and one of our foursome was in the high rough on the left.  I was a passenger in a cart in the middle of the fairway.  I leaned forward to see my ball and felt a blow to my nose.  Luckily, I had lost my glasses in the airport and was wearing my contacts.  I stepped out of the cart, glanced down and it looked like I had been shot.  I was bleeding profusely all over my shirt and shorts.  I got back to the clubhouse and packed my face with ice to stop the swelling and bleeding.  It took almost three hours before the bleeding stopped.  When my buddies made the turn, I got the car keys and drove myself to the nearest hospital.  X-rays confirmed a broken nose and that there wasn't anything that could be done until the swelling went down.   I ended playing the three days looking out the two small, black and blue slits that where my eyes were.  By the way, if this happens to you, use Afrin.  It restricts the blood vessels in your nose and helps stop the bleeding.

The guy that hit me was overwhelmed.  The deep rough caught his club, opened it up and the ball came out screaming at 90 degrees!  How it missed the guy driving the golf cart, I'll never know (especially since his nose is even bigger).  I shrugged it off as an accident, changed my shirt and went out for a few beers!   Our makeshift tournament committee convened and gave me one extra stoke the next day for the injury.  One stroke for not being able to see?  I'd hate to see what it would take the get two strokes!  The last day I was paired with the guy who hit me.  He was a mess!  He was so worried about hitting me again that he shot 120!  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Having been with a foursome years ago where one was hit in the back of his neck and passed out twice while one person was trying to call 911 and another racing off for the clubhouse, I am pretty sensitive to people hitting into me.  In this case, it was just a bad decision by the person driving the ball. But, that day has kind of stuck with me as it pertains to hitting into the group ahead.

These situations do happen, and by mistake as frequently or more so than by design.  However, there are some who think this is an acceptable form of intimidation/messaging the group ahead - it's not.  Most times folks drive up and say, "oop's, I'm sorry about that", are embarrassed, and that's the end of it.  But, I had an incident in Yuma where a group hit into us several times.  Full disclosure, we were playing a bit slow as one of the guy's in the group was recovering from a foot injury. But not so slowly that letting them play through would have helped them move along - the course was packed.  We had a chat with them in queue at a par 3 after the first offense and they seemed like they really didn't care.  Anyway, the last time they hit into us, one of our guys, a not so small in stature retired Air Marshall, lost it and headed straight back to the tee box.  There were colorful words exchanged and I was all but expecting a ruckus but that didn't happen.  To be brutally honest, I don't think he'd have needed any of our help 😆.

I really like @Tom the Golf Nut's remedy and think I'll have my wife print me up some business card sized notes 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

If it happens a second time. I'm waiting on the next tee box and I'm going to get in there face about it and if that leads to a fight so be it!

Driver - Titleist TSR3 

3-wood- PING G10 

3 Hybrid- Taylormade M2 

Irons- Taylormade R9 

Gap Wedge- Cleveland CG12 

Lob wedge- Cleveland CG10 

Putter- Odyssey 2-Ball White hot 

I’m old school on this one, first time if they apologize fine, second time, they are being a dick, there is no cute way to say that. 
How to handle, well getting mad at them doesn’t work, I found though that taking your sweet ass time on the putting green has always worked, maybe I’ve been lucky, but I’m sure they think, ok I get it, we will stop. 
Hopefully, my comment isn’t to offensive but when you’ve been hit by a ball you hopefully can understand. 

Titleist TRS Driver, Titleist TSR 3 Wood, Titleist TRS 2 Hybrid, Titleist T300 irons, Vokey SM9 wedges 56 - 60, Scotty Cameron putter. 

Was playing with my son and his ex-marine mate at my home course, where it happened to us. 3rd is 320yd par 4 ball rolls thru the green when we are putting, 4th lands in the greenside bunker, 5th again 340 yd dogleg ball flies over the dogleg and lands on the green on the full. 

We wait on the 6th tee for them and say they can play thru since they have nearly hit us 3 times, the guy starts to argue with me about playing thru and tries to say that the balls were no where near us. Meanwhile the ex-marine is asking "can i just hit him". Needless to say this was the last we saw of them.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

7 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Was playing with my son and his ex-marine mate at my home course, where it happened to us. 3rd is 320yd par 4 ball rolls thru the green when we are putting, 4th lands in the greenside bunker, 5th again 340 yd dogleg ball flies over the dogleg and lands on the green on the full. 

We wait on the 6th tee for them and say they can play thru since they have nearly hit us 3 times, the guy starts to argue with me about playing thru and tries to say that the balls were no where near us. Meanwhile the ex-marine is asking "can i just hit him". Needless to say this was the last we saw of them.

When it has happened to me, I tee their ball up where it ended up trying to give them a tip.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

When it happened to me the 2nd time in the same round with no warning, I looked to see about how far they were away, grabbed a club to land about ten yards short, and hit it back. They got the hint. We would have gladly let them play through but it was stacked up on a Sunday.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron SS Golo 6.5

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Golf Buddy aim 11  

On 5/27/2023 at 7:46 PM, Alf. S said:

Hit'm I say lol..

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Second round of golf I had ever played, I “smoked” a drive , 200+ drive (this was 1981), almost hit this man , I apologized told,him it was my second round of golf ever, he gave a couple of etiquette tips. 3 months later I walked in the credit union to see if my loan had been approved for a used firebird, yup, the loan officer was the man I almost hit, I got the loan.

Several years later, on a short par 4, I laid up, all of a sudden, ball hits cart, other player simply runs over ball,,,, ended up plugged

Now, like many here, once, it’s an accident, twice,,,,, we are having a talk

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

• 2 weeks later...

Once many years ago at a different course in town, a ball landed on the #3 green while our group was putting.  I picked it up and tossed it into the trees (fully findable).  When we moved off to the #4 tee which was close by, this old guy in his own cart with all kinds of flags on it came driving up and I thought we were going to fight.  He was followed by a younger guy (his son) who apologized profusely.  The kid who hit the ball onto the green (grandson) never came up to us.  Sad.  Maybe the old guy was having a senior moment, but his attitude was not what you should be displaying to your grandkid.  Personally, the kid was old enough (probably H.S. golf) that he should have been the one to apologize.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As a caddie, this happened way too often in the late 60s and early 70s.  I caddied at clubs in the Detroit area and it was common to caddy for pro athletes as they didn’t make huge $ back then.  Ted Lindsay of the Red Wings and several Stanley Cups was a member I caddied for often.  

One day our group was Lindsay, his guests, Red Wings Geordie Howe and Pete Mahovolich and another member.  We were hit into twice.  They ignored the first.  Mahovolich teed up the second one and hit it back at the group behind us.   Lindsay was 5’9” and 170 and had the nickname Terrible Ted on the ice and had 150 plus stitches in his face to prove that he earned the nickname.   Off the ice he was the nicest guy you could find.  Howe was as good a hockey fighter as he was a prolific scorer.  Mahovolich was the biggest of the 3 and not someone to be challenged on the ice.  

The guy who had his drive hit back at him came up to our group as we were leaving the green.  He started yelling and screaming and was looking for a fight.  Then he recognized who he was yelling at and if he didn’t wet himself, he came very close.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

Edit:  My long story wasn't that interesting and I don't want to catch strays.  Just don't threaten people with 'wrapping a club around their head' or other sorts of violence unless you're sure the offense was reckless or intentional.  If you know it's a blind tee shot, you're playing slow, and there's no bell near the blind landing area, maybe chill out.

Edited by Brooky03

We all have those moments of strength, when you unleash the dog inside you and absolutely crush one. That is acceptable. However, if you are the big hitter in the group or just are on your game today, wait the extra few minutes and let the group play the hole out. On the flip side, the first time it happens to me I let it go, maybe give them a little wave to say, "hey man, I know you can see me in my loud KEA Golf shirt, kind of the reason why I wear them and that was close", but the second time it happens all bets are off. That ball could end up in someone's bag, could be hit into the forest, could be stomped into the ground or run over in your cart. Crazy things happen out there and you just never know. 

On 5/17/2023 at 8:37 AM, Bradka13 said:

Not sure which is more annoying to me.  A group playing slow in front of us not allowing us to play through or one behind us pushing us when we are also waiting for the group ahead of us.  Everyone has hit into someone else on accident at some point.  No sense to get worked up over that.  I usually just keep moving unless they come to apologize at which time I will tell them, "nice shot."  If it is obviously not a mistake and happens multiple times (and after I make sure the guy isn't huge 😉)  the ball is pocketed.  Only had this happen once and he never came and asked about it.  

This is basically my thoughts on this matter.  I generally can walk faster than most people can play in a cart, especially when the course lets them play in 5-somes and I'm driving it in the fairway consistently, so waiting and watching guys pull pins and get down on one knee to read putts for 30 seconds before they 3-putt every green is basically where I draw the line.  I won't hit into them, but you can bet I'll be sitting there making them feel uncomfortable about the sorry state of their golf game every chance I get if they're insisting on being jerks and won't let me play through...There are plenty of times where the group makes it to their carts and looks up to find me having chipped up onto the green and putted out before they've even written down their scores and left for the next tee.

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to -1 / N
  • Titleist 917F3 3W (13.5°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X stiff shaft - D1 setting
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - A1 setting
  • Mizuno Pro 223 Irons (2* upright) - 4-PW - Mitsubishi MMT125TX Shafts (+1")
  • Vokey SM9 Jet Black Raw (50°F10 / 55°F10 / 60°M08) +1/2" / 2° up with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts
  • Lamkin ST Hybrid grips on all (midsize)
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour or OnCore Vero X1 (both white and yellow)

I have only had it happen a couple of times and they apologized.  I always joke around and tell them that I am hard of hearing so I did not here "fore".  If they would keep doing it I guess I would call the ranger. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

Don’t hit the ball back, you could be charged for assault if you hit someone. If it happens multiple times, call the pro shop/starter or hit the ball into the woods. The first time you hit a ball into the rough, they won’t do it again.

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
TSR2 15° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
2 Iron T200 Utility and MCC +4, 
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick

• 2 months later...

I work at a golf course and no matter where you play people like this will appear. Happens to me at other courses as well the best thing to do is call the pro shop explain the situation and see what happens. Most times courses won’t allow guest to be bullied like that it just ruins business and reputation. You can also do what I did one time and start collecting there balls and at the turn you wait for them and kindly give them back and tell them they can play ahead. Also I want to mention I understand this situation happens sometimes but it should only occur on busy days. Slow days it’s best to let the faster groups play through it saves all this from happening.

If it happens and the golfer comes to you and apologizes and it doesn't happen again than nothing. The third time, the ball gets sent back air mail special delivery. This rarely happens at my home course. The thing we have to put up with is the kids that play here damaging carts, getting mad when they miss a putt and taking a chunk out of the green, or the time someone put a dozen raw eggs in a cup. This is what we have to put up with. There  is no ranger here.

Frank musolino