TESTERS WANTED! ×

PGA Championship 2023

Splatt

G’day golfers,

We’ve already arrived at the 2nd major of the year; it feels like only yesterday we were building up towards The Masters, but time stops for no man, so here we are.

Being a major, everyone who is someone will be teeing it up at The PGA Championship this week (if they’re qualified, of course). The field this year is 156 players and the criteria to qualify is:

• Former PGA Champion
  • Last five Masters, US Open, and Open Championship winners
  • Last three PLAYERS Championship winners
  • Senior PGA Champion
  • Low 15 scorers and ties in the last PGA Championship
  • Low 20 scorers in the previous PGA Professional Championship
  • Top 70 in PGA Championship points from 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson to 2023 Wells Fargo Championship
  • Players from the most recent US and European Ryder teams (if within OWGR top-100)
  • Any tournament winner co-sponsored or sanctioned by the PGA TOUR since the last PGA Championship
  • Special invitations offered by the PGA Championship committee

There has already been a lot of talk around the criteria specifically from the LIV players regarding the LIV players. And I’m sure there’s more to come.
The special invitations are reserved for players that really should be playing The PGA Championship but haven’t actually qualified. There’s no hard science to it, it’s more of an eye test kind of thing. This year, I think they’ve nailed it; they’ve handed out special invites to Webb Simpson, Paul Casey, and Joel Dahman.
Is there anyone else you would have added to this list?

PGAOakHill2023.webp.cbf93126d094f54f7f845681790c95ff.webp

Has the golfing landscape shifted much since The Masters?
Not really. Rahm and Scheffler are still in the best in the world, Koepka is still playing some great golf, Speith is still doing what Speith does, and old Phil Mickelson is still as unpredictable as ever.
Does that mean we’re going to get the same results as The Masters?
No, absolutely not. Golf is fun like that.

OakHill.jpg.2e8969f4b6e313ba9a545fc11e5b1e2f.jpg

The 2023 PGA Championship will be held at Oak Hill, a 7400-yard par-70, which is going to give the players an almighty test during the 4 days of the Championship. It is a major championship quality course of the highest order, and since 2008, it is the only course that has held all 6 of the rotating US men’s majors hosting 3 US Opens, 3 PGA Championships, 2 US Amateurs, 1 Ryder Cup, 1 US Senior Open, and 1 Senior PGA Championship.
That’s a great resume of tournaments!

Seizing every birdie opportunity is going to be critical this weekend. Normally, a course will offer a couple of easier scoring holes, namely par-5s, but 2 of the par-5s at Oakhill are over 615 yards, meaning it will most likely take 3 high-quality shots to have a crack at a birdie.
On the No Laying Up build-up podcast this week, they had a snippet from Max Homa which was very interesting and highlighted how critical it will be to hit the fairways this week. He was specifically talking about the rough and how unforgiving it is, the type of grass has a thicker blade than they’re used to meaning it grabs onto the club head leading to more un-predictability.
Should lead to some nail-biting shots.

JTPGA.jpg.298825928c86fe8bfd19d581ecfdbdce.jpg

Last year, as seen in the Full Swing doco, Justin Thomas managed to grab the win after a 3-hole play off with Will Zalatoris. It all looked certain for Mito Pereira, he led by one shot when he stepped onto the final tee-box of the tournament. A birdie would have sealed it, and a par would have forced his closest opponent to make a birdie to force a play-off, it’s a great position to be in on the final hole of the tournament.
However, all did not go to plan.
Mito pulls out his driver along with his worst swing of the tournament resulting in soul-draining slice and found the water on the right. Mito takes his drop but then fails to hit the green with his 3rd. He ends the hole with a double bogie which leaves Zalatoris and Thomas with a play-off for the win.
One of the biggest implosions in a major championship in recent history, it was hard not to feel for him.

Field Highlights

·         Justin Thomas – The PGA Championship reigning champ, JT will come out firing on all cylinders looking to retain his trophy. His recent record, however, does not fill me with confidence. He was T-60 at The Players, T-10 at the Valspar, MC at The Masters, T-25 at the RBC Heritage, and T-14 at the Wells Fargo. Although, JT has shown he can turn it on when all is against him, that’s exactly what he did last year.

·         Jon Rahm – Currently the OWGR World number 1 and also ranked 1st in the FedEX Cup standing, this year he has played 12 times, missed no cuts, and won 4 times (including The Masters). To say he’s had a good season so far would be a bit of an understatement. His last outing was at the Mexican Open where he finished solo-2nd. Rahm is the one to beat this weekend.

·         Rory McIlroy – After his result at The Masters, Rory will want to respond and I’m sure we’ll see him come out swinging. This course seems to favour Rory off the tee, it will require some long distances with a focus on accuracy, which is Rory all over. Rory may be from Northern Ireland, but he has a special connection to Rochester and this course. His wife is from Rochester and he is an honorary member at Oak Hill, that surely must feel like a home court advantage.

·         Jordan Speith – Currently 10th in the world and 20th in the FedEx Cup standing, Speith only needs to win the PGA Championship to complete his career grand slam. As we’ve seen from Rory, could that mean that this tournament carries a lot more mental baggage than others? In true Speith fashion, he has been hot and cold this season. He had a T-63 at Pebble Beach, MC at The Genesis, and MC at the Wells Fargo, but he’s also had T-4 at The Masters, T-3 at the Valspar, 2nd in a play-off at the RBC Heritage, T-4 at the Arnold Palmer, in fact, he’s had more good results this season than bad. Recently, he’s had some wrist issues that meant he had to pull out of a recent tournament. So far, he is still committed to the PGA, so hopefully is wrist is feeling better and we get a classic Speith performance this week.

·         Brooks Koepka – I think Brooks has flown under the radar since moving to LIV, I certainly didn’t expect him to be involved at The Masters as much as he was. But, the fact is, Brooks can still play some great golf, especially in the majors. He won a recent LIV event at Orlando, the week before The Masters, and the last 2 LIV events he has had good finishes with a solo-6 and solo-3. He’s also won 2 PGA Championships in 2018 and then again in 2019. I’m sure he’ll be looking to add another to his cabinet.

Who else do you think will be in the mix?

The full field list can be found here.

I’m very excited to see how the pro’s handle this course and who is in the mix come Sunday. I think we’ll have some unexpected players miss the cut and also quite a few LIV guys with a chance during the final round.

For those in the MGS Pick ‘Em competition make sure to get your picks in.

Also, get your entries into the 2023 My Golf Spy PGA Championship Pool Sponsored by Titleist TSR Woods.
First place is a TS Driver of your choice, 2nd is a TSR Fairway wood or hybrid of your choice. Make sure to read the rules in the thread.

Regards,
SPLATT

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

After seeing the course videos and so on I can without question say that I am more excited for this PGA than previous years. 

Looks so tricky an tough and should make the players really think and work for the win. 

Thanks for the awesome writeup! @Splatt

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

39 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

After seeing the course videos and so on I can without question say that I am more excited for this PGA than previous years. 

Looks so tricky an tough and should make the players really think and work for the win. 

Thanks for the awesome writeup! @Splatt

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Oak Hill looks like such a great course that wiĺl be incredibly punishing if you a bad shot.

There's a great course overview for anyone looking to get an idea of the set up before the comp starts

Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree

So glad to see the PGA did the right thing regarding LIV.  17 will be in the field and having them there will definitely make the event more competitive 👏. Count me in amongst those who would love to see HVIII in the final group on Sunday (he was on 59 watch this past Sunday).

Watching some of The Golf Channel pre event coverage, the rough looks like it will become the delineator as to who makes the weekend and ultimately who hoists the trophy Sunday.  They showed Xander and Si Woo Kim trying shots out of it and simply laughing.  Xander's hybrid advanced all of 15 feet and then, once again, disappeared.  It's almost certain the winners card will be full of long, well positioned FIR's. 

The weather is looking good and it should be another great major event.  Will we see someone completely unexpected surprise the field and the oddsmakers?  I kind of hope so as that always makes the storyline that much more interesting.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Okay Spies, who is your favorite Golf Channel broadcaster?  How about your least favorite?  Why?

-XY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

So glad to see the PGA did the right thing regarding LIV.  17 will be in the field and having them there will definitely make the event more competitive 👏. Count me in amongst those who would love to see HVIII in the final group on Sunday (he was on 59 watch this past Sunday).

Yeah, I agree with the LIV comment. I think the majors should be held above everything, and if a player is considered to be amongst the best in the world then they should definitely be playing.

The golf course landscape should make it an interesting week. Miss the fairway and end up in a bunker good luck. Or better yet land on a side hill in the rough with what’s being called “thick blades of grass”. Should make for a fun week. I think the middle tier guys for driving distance that are at the top of accuracy will do well this week. Especially someone that can hit the high draw!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Any update on the suspended play

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

There is some great golf being played already. I love watching golf so much, seeing them hit those amazing shots.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small:Stealth Plus+  Diamana ZF60 Flex X Shaft

3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F8

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSI3

Irons: :titleist-small: 2019 T100s Limited Edition Black

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM6s 52, 56, & 60 (Black Heads)

Putter: :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5

Gear: Bushnell Wingman & Shot Scope Pro LX+w/H4 for yardages. 

Stat Tracking: The Grint App

I know that the majority of Donald Ross courses are private, but if you're watching the PGA 'ship this weekend and are anywhere near the Boston area, George Wright is a public Ross design and a ton of fun to play.

He was really creative in this design. 

Course Tour (cityofbostongolf.com)

A ton of holes that pinch in and are guarded by bunkers like this par 3.

image.png.6810ac25e2c3ef7221236178062c1191.png

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

I know that the majority of Donald Ross courses are private, but if you're watching the PGA 'ship this weekend and are anywhere near the Boston area, George Wright is a public Ross design and a ton of fun to play.

He was really creative in this design. 

Course Tour (cityofbostongolf.com)

A ton of holes that pinch in and are guarded by bunkers like this par 3.

image.png.6810ac25e2c3ef7221236178062c1191.png

Really great video of it by the NLU guys on YouTube as well!

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

Oak Hill is kicking backsides and taking names.  Only 10 players posting red numbers thus far.  Lots of players yet to get started but the course appears to have brought its game face.  As is often the case at major events, day one always seems to have a few unexpected names at the top and the bottom.  I totally saw Rahm at +5 and Keegan at -3... didn't you? 😆  This is shaping up to be a slugfest, more so against Oak Hill than any one competitor.

I woke up to Byson leading by 2.

What year is it?

51 minutes ago, Splatt said:

I woke up to Byson leading by 2.

What year is it?

What in the DeChambeau is going on up there!?!?

HAven’t been able to watch any during the day. Glad it is still on now that I am back in my hotel room and can catch a little bit. DJ up there now too…

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10

Poor Tom Kim! 

Garmin S10

38 minutes ago, Hobert said:

Poor Tom Kim! 

Ouch!

20230519_083010.jpg.7a8888e7e2b901d61a2e42e337728f1a.jpg

Tom Kim is one of my favorite players. Loved his telling the story after his round.

Garmin S10

The finishing holes are tough.  Lots of leads vanquished today down the stretch.  Tom Kim is seriously dedicated to the cause.  Those photos will be around the halls of golf for a very long time 😆.

After seeing some of the carnage today on the tougher holes, I'm even more pumped for this tournament

Should be a great watch today! 

Good story lines and hoping to see an angry Rahm take revenge on the course!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Didn’t catch much yesterday looking forward to watching more today

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Should be a great watch today! 

Good story lines and hoping to see an angry Rahm take revenge on the course!

I think Rahm is going to go low in round 2. He wont let that first round stand

Xander is one of us! Didn't quite follow threw on his sand shot on the 3rd

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

Love that Rory actually battled yesterday and posted a decent round to keep him in it despite not having anything close to his best stuff. Hopefully he figures something out today and gets in the mix. 

Lefty Gang

Cally Mavrik 10.5 - Rogue White 60 TX

Cobra Radspeed 5w at 16* - Motore F1 7x

Srixon ZU85 3i - Tensei Blue 80tx

Srixon Z785 4-PW - DG X100

Cally Jaws MD5 Raw 52*

MD3 56* & 60

Scotty Phantom X5.5

Is Cantlay growing out the beard so people don’t recognize him (as Mr. Slow Play)?  Regardless, I think he should keep it.

Garmin S10

6 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Xander is one of us! Didn't quite follow threw on his sand shot on the 3rd

It's always good to hit the mental save button on these.  They can help soften the sting... "yea, that was pretty fugly, but way better than DeChambeau's 46 yard drive" 😂.

image.png.64c5f25a5ce7c085c43d6193f4e3b12c.png

59 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

It's always good to hit the mental save button on these.  They can help soften the sting... "yea, that was pretty fugly, but way better than DeChambeau's 46 yard drive" 😂.

image.png.64c5f25a5ce7c085c43d6193f4e3b12c.png

It’s “good” to see. For them no but for us lol. Keeps me sane

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Nice showing from the Tour 54 contingent.  I was really thinking either DJ or Gooch were going to be Sunday contenders.  Gooch won't be and DJ will need two out of body rounds, it would seem, to have a chance.  Brooks I think is well within range and he has that 6th gear at majors.  Tomorrow is "moving day", what are your predictions?   Do you think anyone even par or worse can get it done?

And how about the Michael Block storyline?  B2B 70's for even par and T10.  His partner for tomorrow simply could not be a better match.  Justin Rose will help keep him in the game.  Definitely rooting for the impossible but more so that he finishes strong and brings home some big $$$.

image.png.43b2199ac67957e4331c0fc20f75f39b.png

Was great to watch the cut line last night.

Rahm going back and forth but managing a couple birdies to get the job done.

Spieth with a must make putt on 18 to make the weekend. 

Fitz with a similar putt and missed. 

The middle of the day was a little dry but very much enjoyed watching the later stages of round 2.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW