Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

3 Hybrid or 5 Wood?

aguybadatgolf

I currently have a 3w and a 3H. I’ve heard a lot of positives about adding a 5W but I feel it would be similar in yardages to my 3H. Curious what people have to say. 

thanks! 

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

Sign me up in the 5 wood category. Good versatility, little better for options and at least for me a higher ball flight along with some added forgiveness!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I’m well and truly in the 5 wood camp.

Tried a 2 iron and a 3 iron in the past and just couldn’t got on with them.

Distance and loft sits quite nicely between my 3 wood (15 degree) and 4 iron (21 degree).

I find I hit woods better than I hit irons so it makes sense for my game. 

If I had enough money, I would buy a 7 wood and experiment between that and my 4 iron.

Adam Heard - WHS 10.2

I love my 5 wood easy to hit and  gets in the air faster but If you can keep both in the bag. The hybrid is much more useful in the rough and even some delicate chipping around the green.

Driver Callaway Maverick Max 9 degree with Graphic design ADShaft

3 wood Callaway Big Bertha

Hybrids both Taylormade Stealth 3 and 5 with Graphic design AD shafts

irons Callaway Maverick Max 5 to Gap

2 Cleveland Wedges 54 and 58

after great success with a 17 degree Callaway UW (a more hybrid shaped 4 fairway wood with hot enough face to replace 3wood), i recently acquired a 19 degree UW cut down an inch to hybrid length. fits perfectly between lower flighted fairway metal and 4 iron, offering higher apex and steeper descent due to shorter shaft, but more forgiving than hybrid or driving iron (which i had to give up as swing speed declined). 

WITB: PXG Gen 6 Driver (stiff Haz RDX Stiff -1/2”), Callaway UW17 (Haz RDX Stiff), Callaway UW19 (Haz RDX Stiff -1”), Takomo 101 4-PW (KBS 105 Reg 2 flat), Miz Pro225 G (ProjX IO 6.0), Wilson Staff HT (DynGold 120 Stiff, Honma Forged 60 (SteelFiber1 10CW XStiff), Tony Penna heel shafted square flange as

If I had to pick one it would be a 3h. 5W just tended to be too high off the tee and not as easy to hit from the rough if needed. I personally carry a 18* 2i which gives me, for my game, the most versatility. I can keep it low if the tee if needed. And much easier out of the rough. There is very little chance if the ball is sitting down of getting a 5 wood on it. 

I played with a 3 hybrid for about 5 years and found them easy to hit rather than long irons.  Two years ago I went to an outdoor Ping fitting site in Scottsdale and spent a while hitting various heads and shafts as part of the fitting process for new clubs.  Watching the ball flight and looking at trackman data I switched to the 5 wood in my new set as the gap between 3 wood and the other hybrids.  I had similar distances with the 5 wood and 3 hybrid but consistency was better with the 5 wood.   I would recommend trying both and see what you are most comfortable hitting as having confidence in a club is a key to getting desired results.

Ping G425 Driver, Fairway, Hybrid, Irons, Wedges

I carry both. my 3H is a 19 degree loft and my 5 wood is set at 17 degrees. Not a ton of difference in yardage, but (and I am sure its in my head) but I like the hybrid better off the tee and the 5-wood out of the fairway. Wasn't fitted for either, and I do still swap out the 3H for my 4-iron (same loft) from time to time.

Cobra LTDx LS 9 Degree

TaylorMade Stealth 3-wood

Cobra King SpeedZone 5-wood

Nike Pro Combo 4-PW 

Callaway JAWS 50 & 54

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey 2-Ball DFX Mallet

8 hours ago, aguybadatgolf said:

I currently have a 3w and a 3H. I’ve heard a lot of positives about adding a 5W but I feel it would be similar in yardages to my 3H. Curious what people have to say. 

thanks! 

They will be very similar in distance.  I used to have a 5W, but moved to the 3H.  I found more control with 3H and less dispersion.  That is largely driven by the shorter shaft length. It also is easier to hit out of the rough than a 5W in my opinion.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

I think either one is a great option and I think the real / annoying answer is “get fit by a reputable fitter” with that being said, I just switched from 3h to 5w, I get a little more distance from the 5w, I like it more off the tee and from the fairway. The hybrid did launch and spin a little higher but I could not keep it from going left, got fit for a 5w and I’ve been happy with that decision

I'm team 3H.  It's one of my favorite clubs to hit, and I feel very confident over the ball when I setup with it (this is likely purely mental, no reason I might not get the same result with a 5W but why mess with what works?).  Besides the way I feel when I setup with it (comfortable, confident), I use it when I need distance and accuracy, and am not worried about a higher flight and softer landing.  If I was looking for the latter I might consider a 5W instead.

Maybe see if your local club has a demo 5w that you can hit on the range/take out for a round, or hit one at golf shop on a simulator, and see what feels better to you.  Good luck!

Marcus

6 minutes ago, acatalano32 said:

I think either one is a great option and I think the real / annoying answer is “get fit by a reputable fitter” with that being said, I just switched from 3h to 5w, I get a little more distance from the 5w, I like it more off the tee and from the fairway. The hybrid did launch and spin a little higher but I could not keep it from going left, got fit for a 5w and I’ve been happy with that decision

You are playing the hybrid too far forward in your stance if you are hooking it.  You cannot play it as a wood.  You play it as an iron.  Slide the ball back a little and you will be hitting it great.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

All depends on your swing and your needs. I'm always favoring a fairway wood over a hybrid because I personally find them more forgiving and to have a better ballflight. YMMV.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have both and I find the 5 wood launches higher and lands softer with better stop from the fairway than my 3 hybrid but the hybrid is better from the rough. I can hit both of between 200 and 220 yds. 

Relax and play golf ⛳⛳⛳

I have played both very recently.....distance off the tee seems to be about the same, I have an easier time hitting a hybrid off the turf though.......I may still go back and forth though

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

3 hybrid launches too low for me, I have a 7 wood in that spot.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I always have preferred fairway metals to hybrids. I tend to hook every hybrid, and I feel that the five wood is more consistent for me.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max D, 9.0 Degrees

Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline, 15 Degrees

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP-H5 2-Iron 18 Degrees

Irons: Cobra LTDx, 5-GW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50, 54 bent to 55, 60)

Putter: LeanLock APA Model Blade/Yes Marilyn C-Groove

Currently Reviewing: Byrdie Golf Design

Past Reviews: Titleist White Box and Lean Lock Putter

I have both but find myself more in the 5W camp. I find that for my swing speed I get more loft more forgiveness and hence a bit more distance. 

TaylorMade  M1 custom driver with Talamonti Lite 55 gram R flex shaft
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 17 degree 3 wood Matrix Ozik R flex
Ping G2 17 degree 5 woodw TFC 100 R shaft
TaylorMade SLDR 3 Rescue 19 degree w Fuji 82h Speeder S shaft
TaylorMade SIM Max OS irons 4-PW w Fuji Ventus 6R shafts
TM RSi1 50 degree gap wedge w KBS TGI 60 shaft
Callaway X c grind 56 degree wedge True Temper S steel shaft
Callaway SureOut 58 degree UST Mamiya 65 sand wedge
TaylorMade Milled Grind 60 degree lob wedge NIppon Pro modus 1 degree upright Tour 120 S shaft . All woods, hybrids and irons fitted with JumboMax grips. FBS1 modified 3 degree center shaft offset putter w JumboMax grip. Bushnell TourZ6 rangefinder

I also debated between the 3H and the 5W.  After hitting both in a bay I ended up with the 3H. 

I find I am using it more and more. It’s frequently my get out of jail club if I’m in a tough spot and need to punch out.  I used to use my 4 iron a lot for that but my club pro advocated using a hybrid as it’s much more forgiving in tough spots.

It’s also my go to from the rough although I’m comfortable playing it from the tee and fairway too.

p.s.  I find I’m using my 3H so much that I recently dropped my 4 iron and added a 4H to my bag.

Driver:  Ping G425 LST 9 degrees, stock shaft regular

Fairway: Ping G425 LST 13.5 degrees, stock shaft regular

Hybrids: Ping G425 19 and 22 degrees, stock shaft regular

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max, Project X  LZ105 5.5; 5-AW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 52 degrees, TT Dynamic Gold 115; Cleveland SmartSole 58 degrees, stock shaft

Putter:  Axis1 Rose with FlatCat grip

veteran.gif.ce23e65765944402b155f425df8cdfdb.gif.5b4cd6901ad1d0966d36704e6b4d9e7d.gif

image.png.2c141450bfdc56c40426d9df08a4bb4d.png

image.png.3ce9d749de4445b748c0a563eb19c35b.png

A lot of good answers here. All things being equal with your swing, the 5 wood has a longer shaft and bigger head and launches higher and travels further whereas a 3 hybrid has a shorter shaft and smaller head, launches and flies lower and isn't as long. Hybrid better out of the rough and maybe a tad easier to hit because of shorter shaft. Go to YouTube and watch some videos of comparisons, there are plenty on there.

Kevin WP

I have both a 3H and a 5W on average my 5W goes about 20-30 yards further. I find I like the hybrid more, because i can work it as a draw or fade, however the 5W I have really only one shot type with. Both are good off the tee though. For my setup I removed an "extra" wedge to make room to keep the 5 wood. In my area I find I use it more than having an extra wedge in the set.

Kyle

WITB:

Callaway Rogue LST 10.5

Ping G425 5 Wood

Callaway Rogue LST 3 Wood

Taylormade Sim 2 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged Iron Set

Cleveland RTX Wedges

Scotty Phantom 11.5 Putter

Ball: Pro V1 or Chromesofts

3 hybrid for me. I carried both for a bit, but the 5w just wasn’t getting used to a went with a 3w, and 3h. I feel the hybrid is easier to hit from the rough. 

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.5 degree

Callaway Epic Max 3 wood

Cobra F9 3H

TaylorMade P770 4-P

Taylormade MG3 50,54,58

Taylormade Spider X 

Taylormade TP5(usually) 

2 minutes ago, Jake-mediocre said:

3 hybrid for me. I carried both for a bit, but the 5w just wasn’t getting used to a went with a 3w, and 3h. I feel the hybrid is easier to hit from the rough. 

Same here!

"The best part about golf is the community that it creates. It brings people together, no matter their age, background, or skill level." - Jack Nicklaus

Driver: Ping G425 Max

3W: Ping G30

3i Hybrid: Ping G400

Irons: TaylorMade Rocketbladez

Wedges: 52 & 56 SM9, 62 SM7

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Ball: Vice Pro