Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

3 Hybrid or 5 Wood?

aguybadatgolf

3 hybrid for me. I carried both for a bit, but the 5w just wasn’t getting used to a went with a 3w, and 3h. I feel the hybrid is easier to hit from the rough. 

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.5 degree

Callaway Epic Max 3 wood

Cobra F9 3H

TaylorMade P770 4-P

Taylormade MG3 50,54,58

Taylormade Spider X 

Taylormade TP5(usually) 

I played a Cobra 5W for a while, decent off the tee, or low rough - High flight easy to cut or draw.  Switched it out for a Ping G30 3H a few years ago when i started playing a course that was much tighter.   The 3H is much lower normal ball flight and much easier to flight down further if i need to punch out of trouble.   I have been considering adding a Titleist 4H, and replacing the 5H and 4-iron with a 7W.

So  any help to the OP?  analyze your game and your needs,  get fitted - re-arrange your bag to suit your game and the course your playing

Steve
Mid Ohio play off a 10 hdcp some days its good some days not so good
G400 LST 9degree with a stiff copper Xtersion
M6 -3 wood, G30 3H, TitleistH1 5H
M5- 4-SW graphite reg, Wilson FGTour 60
Scotty newport select
Prefer Prov1x, or Maxfli Tour S

I've played a 2, 3, 4 hybrid and a 3, 4, 5 wood

I currently play a 3 hybrid and have a 5 wood in my basement ready to sell.

Not in love with the hybrid and might move on to a 7w. About the only thing I haven't tried at this point besides a driving iron. 🤦‍♂️

The head of the 5 was just a little too large for me for some reason. good off the tee but not the deck. I find the size/shape of hybrid easier to hit off the ground.

I don't envy you - the top end of the bag is such a challenge.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

They are pretty close, depends on other factors such as how steep your swing is.  I would agree with others here that with shots where the rough is more challenging then the hybrid is much better (any hybrid).  I have both, my PING is a 17.5 loft (although adjustable) and the 3H is 19 (again adjustable), so I don't see a big difference there.  I feel more comfortable with the 5W though, I like the ball flight and i can still get that around 180 or so, which is not very different from the 3H.  I use both just depends on the circumstances.  If i had to choose, I would go with the 5W as I can hit that off the tee well, the 3H for some reason I can't hit well of the tee, and also when in the rough I would use my 5 iron anyway as opposed to the 3H.   I also have a 3W, which is use more than either of those 2 put together.  So for me it would be 3W and 7W together and maybe the 5W, the 3H is the least used but I have it. 

Edited by Julius

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

I have carried 2 hybrids for many years and felt this was best for me and my game. A good friend recommended a 5 wood and 4 hybrid andthen 5 thru pw iron set,  I have been pleased with this change especially when I have a 200 yard distance from the rough shot. I find that the length of the 5 wood has been a game changer for me. Tom   

Tom Hall Jr.

I prefer a wood over a hybrid and even over longer irons.  I hit 6 iron down through the wedges just fine.  Contact ball then ground with great ball flight and distance for the club.  Longer than a 6 iron and I tend to get more "sweepy" with the swing but that is based on a long time understanding my swing tendencies.  Maybe it's the longer club length getting in my head but carrying all the way down to a 7 wood gapped my clubs enough to carry 6 iron and down for irons.  Tried 3 through 6 hybrids and could not make them play like the shorter woods for me.

GPS111

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Sign me up in the 5 wood category. Good versatility, little better for options and at least for me a higher ball flight along with some added forgiveness!

That does sound helpful. How much versatility do you loose? I probably don’t have the skill to hit a wood from the rough. 

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

1 hour ago, acatalano32 said:

I think either one is a great option and I think the real / annoying answer is “get fit by a reputable fitter” with that being said, I just switched from 3h to 5w, I get a little more distance from the 5w, I like it more off the tee and from the fairway. The hybrid did launch and spin a little higher but I could not keep it from going left, got fit for a 5w and I’ve been happy with that decision

I actually had a similar issue with my Adam’s idea 3 hybrid having an over draw verging on a hook. I went to a PGA super store and tested a few and weirdly enough a used Calloway apex players hybrid was much better for me, nice and straight now. 

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

1 hour ago, warrenator8 said:

I always have preferred fairway metals to hybrids. I tend to hook every hybrid, and I feel that the five wood is more consistent for me.

I actually had a similar issue initially but I tested a few out and found that for hybrids specifically I get along with less forgiving players hybrids despite being a mid-high handicap.

Definitely the 5W for me. My Ping 3W was/is the most consistent club in my bag, prompting me to buy a Ping 5W, which I hit just as well as the 3, though on my home course I only have the need to hit it once or maybe twice a round. I even experimented with a 7W to replace my 4H and a 9W to replace my 5i because I tend to hit my woods better than my long irons. But in the end I felt the 4 hybrid and 5 iron gave me a better feel for approaching greens from a distance than the woods did. That said, I still do a H2H with these clubs now and again at the driving range. 

Ping G400 Driver, Ping G410 3W & 5W, Cobra King F9 4h, Cobra King F9 irons (5 - GW), Cleveland CBX Wedges (54* and 60*), Odyssey Toe Up 1 Putter

Just now, aguybadatgolf said:

I actually had a similar issue initially but I tested a few out and found that for hybrids specifically I get along with less forgiving players hybrids despite being a mid-high handicap.

Tried that as well. The closest I have been to putting one in recently was a sawed off Cobra 3 hybrid I found that was the same length as a 9 iron. I have always been better with fwy metals anyways.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max D, 9.0 Degrees

Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline, 15 Degrees

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP-H5 2-Iron 18 Degrees

Irons: Cobra LTDx, 5-GW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50, 54 bent to 55, 60)

Putter: LeanLock APA Model Blade/Yes Marilyn C-Groove

Currently Reviewing: Byrdie Golf Design

Past Reviews: Titleist White Box and Lean Lock Putter

3 Hybrid and I took out one of my wedges and only use a 54° now so I could add a 7 Wood.  With my game, I need both of these clubs to fill distance gaps. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER       cobra WideSport 35" 
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

48 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

I've played a 2, 3, 4 hybrid and a 3, 4, 5 wood

I currently play a 3 hybrid and have a 5 wood in my basement ready to sell.

Not in love with the hybrid and might move on to a 7w. About the only thing I haven't tried at this point besides a driving iron. 🤦‍♂️

The head of the 5 was just a little too large for me for some reason. good off the tee but not the deck. I find the size/shape of hybrid easier to hit off the ground.

I don't envy you - the top end of the bag is such a challenge.

Thanks for the feedback! It really is a tricky area of the bag. You don’t want huge gaps between driver and your other longer clubs but you quickly loose versatility, forgiveness, or distance depending on what you choose.

Edited by aguybadatgolf

19 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

That does sound helpful. How much versatility do you loose? I probably don’t have the skill to hit a wood from the rough. 

I am pretty steep with my woods so don't mind have a bit of grass around. That being said if the rough is that bad a hybrid isnt going to be much help either so it would be a hack or iron out anyway. 

I rarely find a time where I could use the hybrid distance or wish I had one. I much more often wish I had wood. Maybe it is the way I play or just the courses I am one, but I have yet to play or need a hybrid this season through nearly 30 rounds. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This is a personal preference conversation.  I hit FW’s soooo much better, and I have tried multiple hybrids. 
I now am the proud owner of a 7 wood and 9 wood. Some people just do better with one over the other, I have been trying to use a 5 hybrid lately and still can’t get along with it. 

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

1 hour ago, Murv said:

For the old timers my advice is to go to woods. Last year I added a 7 wood and then a 9 wood to my bag. Easier to hit and get some elevation. 

That's the Jack Nicklaus advice.  As you and your game ages, replace longer irons with shorter woods!

GPS111

I think from a fitter’s POV there are a couple things to think about, all which basically lead back to the same place, which is - what do you feel most confident with.

The lofts are basically pretty similar so the distance will tend to be relatively the same, though the ball flight getting there will be slightly different. Though the lofts are similar, the lengths are not, which indicates that the hybrid (whatever number) should be easier to hit. That said, many feel that the hybrids go left too easily. Sort of a good thing since many players tend to push/slice the longer clubs, however much of that is due to players trying to hit a hybrid like a wood. That’s incorrect, they are hit like irons and this change usually eliminates the left miss.

When fitting, what I care about is gap distance. It’s best when players know their TRUE yardages with whatever their longest iron is, AND their shortest FW. There is a gap between those two that needs to be addressed. This gap could be one club or two depending on how wide it is. I don’t care what number is on the club. What matters is what addresses the XXX yd gap (fill in blank). this could be 3H, 2H, 7W, 5W or maybe a combo of two of those.

Lastly, if that high end gap warrants 2 clubs, pull the lob wedge out (especially if 60* IMO) it’s a club that is not needed or useful for most players. Higher the hdcp, less useful.

Strange is just a different point of view

I just got rid of my pxg 3 hybrid that I’ve had for four years. Nice 210 yard club for me but was getting a little tougher to hit. Read about a five wood instead and decided to give it a whirl. Wow, what a difference. Much easier to hit and it goes 10-15 yards further which was tough to get use to. Now, I sometimes use it instead of my three wood. When I use it instead of my 3 hybrid I choke down a little. I have a 7wood that replaced my four hybrid. That things flies and is a lot easier to hit as well. 
hope this helps. 

Witb= Rogue max LS driver

3wood 5 wood and 7 wood all first gen stealth. 
22 degree pxg hybrid 25 degree pxg hybrid  

6-pw Srixon zx5 mkII irons  traded in pxg 0211 from 4 years ago  

50-54-58 edel wedges with moveable weights  

labgolf putter with upgraded shaft  

thats 15 clubs  needless to say not all come to the course with me  

I have a 16.5 3w and then switched my 5 wood for a super hybrid and love it.  You can also look at the Cleveland hy-wood which has a similar length to a 5w but head like a hybrid.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

Personally I have a 3 hybrid and a 5 wood. I do not even carry a 3 wood. My 3 hybrid carries typically 200-210 and my 5 wood is about 220. My bag is full and I went heavier on the wedges. My fitter explained it to me really well. He asked me how often am I going to need to hit 235 (distance I was getting with the 3 wood) off the deck in a round…maybe one a round? And then how often will I hit that club well. 5 wood is that much more forgiving and truthfully made more sense with my gapping in my bag. 

My 3W is 13.5°, 5W is 18° and 3Hy is 19°.  My 2 cents, 3&5W for me easier to flight, hybrid easier out of tougher lies.  Since I'm a 2 wedge guy, 50° & 56°, I have the room in my bag, and like to have options.  Think for most, and sometimes for me, the hybrid is easier day to day.  Forgiveness, forgiveness, forgiveness in my hybrid, can "rip it" ot "feather" it.  Adjustability for fine tuning in my hybrid was a big factor.  

SRIXON ZX5 LS Mkll  HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0  

SRIXON Z F85 13.5° 3W & SRIXON Z F85 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

TAKOMO 101 4-pw (custom- Steelfiber 95s 4i-6i, 110s 7i-pw   BB&F ferrules)

PING Glide 2.0 50° & Cleveland RTX 4.0 Tour Raw 56°

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

SRIXON Z STAR Diamond & MaxFli TourX

NEVR LOOZ Pro Clip cart bag 

Great thoughts! Being fitted is the only way to begin the process. As several have mentioned some hybrids are draw biased as they are built as game improvement clubs and many slice.  You will see your tendencies during the fitting. The length and rough at your course is also a factor. If I mis hit my drive and the second shot is longer the 5 wood really helped but many will like the hybrid due the shorter shaft and easier to swing. To All Good Golfing!

Tom Hall Jr.

Neither. 7w. Since you bag a 3w, 5w is going to be close. 3h COG will have significant rollout. 7w will be slightly shorter but much more effective in a few areas. 

Out of rough and tougher lies 7w much easier to hit and effective like hybrid. Landing angle is steeper so you can attack pins. Consistency in flight will be better. 

Pro’s are moving tot his same club for same reason. Good luck find a pro with both 3w and 5w - it’s rare for a reason. 

:callaway-small:  Rogue ST Driver 9.0 Mitsubishi MMT

:callaway-small: 3W Paradym 16.5 Hzardus Silver -1 loft

:callaway-small:  7W Paradym Hzardus Silver

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro 5-AW .5° flat

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 52° 56° 60°

:callaway-small: CBX2 56° 60° 1.5° flat

Axis Rose putter 33.5'' 

Titleist ProV1

Blue Tees Range Finder

I game a 3H and a 4W.  A 4W is a bit of an odd wood choice, but for me, the distances work out perfectly and the added loft of a 4W over a 3W makes it just a little more playable without giving up significant yardage 

- Ian

As a more senior player, (64 years and 14 hdcp) I took the 3H out of my bag and put the 5 wood in mainly because swing speed and flight reduction. I personally found that the ability to get the ball up in the air was more important for my game and found the 3H was carrying a lower ball flight even after testing several different balls and shafts with a local fitter. 

I just recently took my 3H out of my bag and replaced it with a Callaway Rogue Heavenwood...which has a 7W loft with a 4W shaft length (I believe only Callaway offers this option but I guess you can order a 7W with a longer shaft from anyone else).  So far after a few rounds, I find the Heavenwood to be a little more forgiving and a little higher ball flight then my 3H with similar distances.

Edited by Malski1972

Driver:  Callaway Rogue ST 9.5o

3W:  Callaway GBB Epic

HW:  Callaway Rogue ST

4H:  Callaway Steelhead Xr

5i -PW:  Callaway Steelhead Xr

GW:  Cleveland CBX2

SW:  Callaway Jaws

LW:  Callaway Jaws

Putter:  Odyssey QWorks Red Tank 7