Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

3 Hybrid or 5 Wood?

aguybadatgolf

Good question! I've wondered the same. I currently have a 3W and a 2H. Only about 15 yards of difference between the 2. So, no room currently for a 5W. I've thought about replacing the 2H and 3 iron with a 5W and 3H.

Been playing golf since I was 8, so.... a long time!

Right now, I carry both, mostly because I don't know what to do with the last spot in my bag. Either the 5W or 3H fills the gap between my 3W and 5H. A lob wedge would just get me in trouble, so I'm telling myself I there's enough of a difference in ball flight to justify the duplication.

My 3h is my “toy cannon,” the go-to when the 3w is iffy. That said, I used/loved a 5w in the past, but haven’t investment, yet…

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

I carried a 5 wood and 3hb for a loung time but recently took the 5 wood out of the bag. The hybrid is my go to club mainly because I hit it better. The 5 wood was not as consistent. 

Titleist irons, Cobra Driver,Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey putter

I personally think the 5 wood is a more versatile club. It imparts more spin to attack greens and has the distance that I am looking for on longer par 5's.

Jack Yeager

Amateur, Improving Golfer

5W all day....however, I found that I hit my 5 wood better than my 3 wood (more consistently and almost as long). If you find this to be the case, you might keep both the 3H and the 5W and get rid of the 3W. You will have to notice your yardages and fill in the gaps. I also can say that I prefer a hybrid from the rough or tricky shots that are not in the fairway much more than my 5W. Sometimes, the 5W will slide under certain lies that the hybrid hits better.

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

I've been struggling to hit my 5 wood recently.  It used to be my go-to fairway finder but the yips came out of nowhere and can't find my stroke.

I just ordered a 3H (19 degree) and will be putting it into play this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

• Driver (9):  Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus+, Tour AD-DI 7S
  • 3 Wood (15):  Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S
  • 3 Hybrid (19): TM Stealth 2 Rescue, Fujikura Ventus TR Red IH 7S
  • 3 Iron (20):  Callaway 2023 Great Big Bertha 4 iron, KBS PGI 80S 
  • Irons (4-PW):  Miura KM-700 (1 degree strong), Aerotech Steelfiber Private Reserve i95 S
  • Wedges:  50-10S & 56-10S - Callaway Jaws Raw:  60-08M - Vokey SM9
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2, BGT Stability Tour2 Polar shaft
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV Cart
  • Balls: TM Tour Response Stripe, TM TP5, Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • Gloves: PXG, G/Fore
  • Shoes:  Ecco Biom H4, G/Fore Gallivanter

I do not hit hybrids very well so I vote for a fairway wood.

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I can’t do anything with a hybrid besides hook it. 5 wood recently kicked my 2 iron out of the bag, as the 2 iron was really a tee-shot only club for me. 5 wood is much more versatile for me.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I play now where there is no deep grass rough, so I don't need hybrid.  It has hardpan, scrub, twings on bare dirt under trees, some swamp, but no deep rough.  I hit a Adams Speedline Low Profile 3 wood off the deck, or a Mizuno 3 driving iron.  I will put in my 3 or 5 hybrids when on course that has deep grass.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

On 5/19/2023 at 7:14 AM, SteveGH7 said:

I have a 16.5 3w and then switched my 5 wood for a super hybrid and love it.  You can also look at the Cleveland hy-wood which has a similar length to a 5w but head like a hybrid.

Love the Cleveland XL Hy-Wood.  Never been able to hit a fairway wood.  But I can hit the hy-wood off the tee or turf.  It's essentially a counterbalanced 3h with a shaft length half inch shorter than a 5w.  Fills the gap between my driver and 4h better than a standard 3h.  I tried 2h but not enough swing speed to get the launch I needed.  Also find the club very forgiving with the large head. 

DR: Ping G425 Max 10.5*

3W: Titleist TSi1 15*

4H-5H: XXIO X (2018)

Irons 6-PW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: MLA Tour Classic

GPS: Shot Scope X5

• 2 weeks later...

Really depends on preference. I’d say that most people find hybrids easier to hit but I absolutely love my 5 wood. Currently rocking 3W 5W 4H. Like having the hybrid for iffy lies.

- Haller

On 5/19/2023 at 11:59 AM, Jake from StateFarm said:

Ive got both, but the 5 wood sits in the closet.  

(Trees should be banned on golf courses!) 

Same with me; although, I just put my 5-wood back in the bag to see how it behaves after several months in time-out. 😉

Me and trees have a love/hate relationship. You should come play our course. We have one 45-foot “Lone Pine” on our links-style 27 holes that sits about 200 yards from our tees and strategically positioned on the left-center portion of the fairway (slight dogleg right hole). If you hit it on your tee shot, you have to buy the first round after the round (yes, I’ve hit it…more than once)! 🍻🍻

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9.5* w/Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'Li White 60
:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 15.0* w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 
:taylormade-small: M3 Hybrids 19 & 22* w/OBAN Revenge 85
:taylormade-small: 2019 790's 5-Iron thru PW w/UST Recoil 95
:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE  50/54/58* w/KBS 610 115gr
:odyssey-small:O-Works Red Tank No. 7 37" w/SuperStroke 2.0
:taylormade-small:2019 TP5, TP5x, 2021 Tour Response
"Share good bourbon with good friends..."

5 wood all day. Had a 3H and made the switch, little more distance and forgiving.

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

The Callaway UW is kind of a tweener. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

I have never hit hybrids very well and normally play 3i. I currently use a T200 Utility iron in my set up. I tried a 5w for a few rounds and found that is was way to close to my 3w as far as distance went. The T200 3i set up works great with my game and set up. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

The feedback here has been great, thank you all! I recently discovered that the 3W I had been playing is a 3+ wood, 13.5 degree. Should have payed more attention 😂. I bought a 15 degree just to test out the yardages and see if I can hit it better. With my 19 degree 3H I’m pretty happy with my gapping now. I also want to note that for whatever reason I hit my hybrid much better thanI can a fairway wood. Is there a 3W replacement I might get along with better? I just seem to miss right a lot with woods. 

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

I was a driver 2i, 3i for a long time.  I tried the hybrid route but after 2 years and a few different manufacturers I went  3wood, 5wood and have been more consistent than I had been with the hybrid.  

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 11:31 PM, aguybadatgolf said:

I currently have a 3w and a 3H. I’ve heard a lot of positives about adding a 5W but I feel it would be similar in yardages to my 3H. Curious what people have to say. 

thanks! 

I recently switched from a 3HY to a 5W.  I personally like the 5W off the tee a lot more and find myself hitting it more often than I was hitting my 3HY.  That being said a 3HY is better out of the rough than a 5W but how often do you need to hack a 230 Yard shot out of the rough.  I debated for so long switching to a 5W and I can say I am glad I did.

Stealth 2 plus 

Sim TI 3 wood 

Titleist TSI 3 3 hybrid 

P7 MC 

MG3

My spider GT

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 10:31 PM, aguybadatgolf said:

I currently have a 3w and a 3H. I’ve heard a lot of positives about adding a 5W but I feel it would be similar in yardages to my 3H. Curious what people have to say. 

thanks! 

We did not buy it, but both my son and I tried the Paradym triple diamond 5 wood with a Kali 70X shaft yesterday and it was great.  We could spin it and cut / draw it if needed, or just go after it and hit high bombs.  My wife was pissed because we were hitting that 225, which is longer than her driver...ok, not really mad at us, but more shaking her head at how long we were able to hit it.  That said, I can hit my wife's Callaway Super Hybrid (19*) about the same distance, and hers has a regular flex Recoil shaft in it and is way too short for me, so maybe there's no reason for us to spend $300 on a 5W...but it was so effortless it was sure tempting.

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to -1 / N
  • Titleist 917F3 3W (13.5°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X stiff shaft - D1 setting
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - A1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +1/2"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts
  • Lamkin ST Hybrid grips on all wedges / woods (midsize) / Irons are a TBD (came w/ Standard Tour Velvets)
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour or OnCore Vero X1 (both white and yellow)

On 6/20/2023 at 9:22 AM, aguybadatgolf said:

The feedback here has been great, thank you all! I recently discovered that the 3W I had been playing is a 3+ wood, 13.5 degree. Should have payed more attention 😂. I bought a 15 degree just to test out the yardages and see if I can hit it better. With my 19 degree 3H I’m pretty happy with my gapping now. I also want to note that for whatever reason I hit my hybrid much better than I can a fairway wood. Is there a 3W replacement I might get along with better? I just seem to miss right a lot with woods. 

I really struggle with the length of fairway woods, the misses are significantly worse than a hybrid for a gain of 10-20 yards on a shot 220+ it just doesn't offset the top or bad heel shot with a wood. If your miss is right/slice, the natural draw bias of most hybrids is going to benefit you as well as the shorter shaft and more upright lie angle. 

There are 17 deg hybrids and a few 16 deg models (CBX 119, Callaway Super hybrid, Mizuno CLK, srixon, and the old cleveland launcher halo), or at least adjustable ones that can be turned down to 15.5 which will provide 90% of the benefit of a 3w while being easier to use off the turf and likely more accurate right to left. Look to try and demo some 2 hybrids and see if you can find one that works. I play the majority of rounds with 3H as my first club below driver. It goes 220-230 and up to 250 if I pure it off the tee with some runout. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Its common to hear discussion about driver length but rarely do I hear the same conversation about Fairway Wood length. A little searching around can find a bargain used or new shaft to experiment with if you do not want to cut down the original shaft and sometimes an inch or so off a FW or Hybrid can make a difference, if you dont believe me ask my Ping 425 7 wood. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

I really struggle with the length of fairway woods, the misses are significantly worse than a hybrid for a gain of 10-20 yards on a shot 220+ it just doesn't offset the top or bad heel shot with a wood. If your miss is right/slice, the natural draw bias of most hybrids is going to benefit you as well as the shorter shaft and more upright lie angle. 

There are 17 deg hybrids and a few 16 deg models (CBX 119, Callaway Super hybrid, Mizuno CLK, srixon, and the old cleveland launcher halo), or at least adjustable ones that can be turned down to 15.5 which will provide 90% of the benefit of a 3w while being easier to use off the turf and likely more accurate right to left. Look to try and demo some 2 hybrids and see if you can find one that works. I play the majority of rounds with 3H as my first club below driver. It goes 220-230 and up to 250 if I pure it off the tee with some runout. 

Strangely I hit a draw as my stock shot but get along well with hybrids. 

My bag has changed a lot from when I first made this post. I found a good deal on some new irons but they stop a a 6i so I did some testing and with the new lofts a 23 degree hybrid fit in perfect. I can also hold greens better because it flies higher than the other long irons I tested. I have a 3W I now only put in the bag for off the tee situations that don’t suit my draw or when I only want to hit it 250-260 off the tee. I still can’t hit it from the fairway so in that case I go to my 3H. Pretty happy with the set up right now even if it’s a little unconventional I’m hitting more GIR on par 5s than ever before. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

I recently took out my 2 hybrid and replaced it with a 5 wood and I’m very happy with the decision, definitely gets more height on my shot, if I was playing more of a links style course I may consider putting the 2 hybrid in for that round

Paradym driver

ltdx ls 3 and 5 wood

T100-s irons

SM9 wedges

Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am a data nerd and I have been going back and forth with this same struggle. I have hit each club 300 times at the range and find both are useful. 3H I get a better rollout when playing and it is a fantastic club in the rough. 5W I get a higher ball flight with a softer landing. The distance is so close it is a wash, but both are useful for my game. 

At the end of the day, we are just sinners.

RB3

I took my 3 wood out of the bag last year and it gave me room to add a 4 hybrid and crank it down to a 3.5 of sorts. The gap between that and my 5 wood is about 10 yards. Long distance, high handicap player... I needed gapping, not top of the bag distance. Personally I love this setup. Gives me the right club every time from 220-250 and it depends on what flight I'm looking for between the two off the tee. Unconventional, but a different perspective from an oddball of the group.

Edited by Wesleyb22

:cobra-small: F9, 10.5* set to 9*, :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Black 7x

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner TP 5w, Matrix Ozik X4 White Tie 6s

:taylormade-small: M3 4Hy set to 19.5*, Tensei CK 80HY S Flex

:callaway-small: Apex CF 19 5-AW, :kbs: C-Taper 130x

:cleveland-small: 588 56*, :truetemper: S400

:cleveland-small: RTX4 60* Low/6*, :truetemper: S400

:tour-edge: HP Series 09, 35"

:vice: Pro Plus

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2023 at 7:38 AM, Gino5778 said:

I personally like the 3H better than the 5W.  For me the same distance but with the 3H I think it's easier to hit.  I also like the 3H out of the rough better as well. 

Exact same reason for me. For whatever reason I can't hit my fairway Woods out of the rough. Switched the 5 for a 3 hybrid and much better. At 1 point I had a 2 hybrid instead of a 3 wood. That worked well too

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees