Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2022 Cobra LTDx ONE LENGTH Irons

ole gray

Gird up ya drawers for OG's journey down One Length Lane

Well, folks I've been busy lately trying all sorts of new toys this year, and now I'm jumping off the deep end with One Length irons.  Say it ain't so!  Yup, this ole country boy is girding up his loins and hopping face-first down One Length Lane. I'll have some pics and of course, a few videos and such to wet ya whistle while I travel down this road.  First of all, I waited for the correct set which will make the journey as smooth as possible. I found what I was looking for with the  COBRA KING LTDX ONE LENGTH IRONS 5-PW, GW GRAPHITE KBS PGI SENIOR 1* UPRIGHT setup. This had me licking my chops like a stud coon hound pup hopping at the opportunity for his first Friday night treeing. 

This is what they looked like right out of the box.  😍  Nice and shiny still in the plastic just waiting for me to do like my old coach said when I had my face planted on the 50-yard line. Throw a little dirt on it and get ya arse back out there! 💣  I will give you a little tidbit to naw on as I took the supposedly hardest iron to hit (5 Iron) out to my backyard net, and was whacking that sucker like a momma whupping her red-headed stepchild for stealing her hot peach pie.  It felt good, really good but the proof of the pudding will come tomorrow morning when I take these puppies out to the range for their maiden voyage. 

Stay tuned now ya hear!

CobraIronsSingleLength.jpg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

Gird up ya drawers for OG's journey down One Length Lane

Well, folks I've been busy lately trying all sorts of new toys this year, and now I'm jumping off the deep end with One Length irons.  Say it ain't so!  Yup, this ole country boy is girding up his loins and hopping face-first down One Length Lane. I'll have some pics and of course, a few videos and such to wet ya whistle while I travel down this road.  First of all, I waited for the correct set which will make the journey as smooth as possible. I found what I was looking for with the  COBRA KING LTDX ONE LENGTH IRONS 5-PW, GW GRAPHITE KBS PGI SENIOR 1* UPRIGHT setup. This had me licking my chops like a stud coon hound pup hopping at the opportunity for his first Friday night treeing. 

This is what they looked like right out of the box.  😍  Nice and shiny still in the plastic just waiting for me to do like my old coach said when I had my face planted on the 50-yard line. Throw a little dirt on it and get ya arse back out there! 💣  I will give you a little tidbit to naw on as I took the supposedly hardest iron to hit (5 Iron) out to my backyard net, and was whacking that sucker like a momma whupping her red-headed stepchild for stealing her hot peach pie.  It felt good, really good but the proof of the pudding will come tomorrow morning when I take these puppies out to the range for their maiden voyage. 

Stay tuned now ya hear!

CobraIronsSingleLength.jpg

Those site are some beauties, @ole gray!

I think the one length concept is an interesting one. Can't wait to hear how you get on with them!

as a long time one length/single length player I am really excited to see how you do. the learning curve is there, not as steep as you would imagine, and once you figure things out you'll be pickin money out of yer pardners pockets! It's almost like yer cheatin!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

As a country boy from small town Wisconsin, I thoroughly enjoyed that read and cannot wait for the ensuing posts to come 🤣

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

As you are taking pics could you please stick to the clubs and skip the one of your girded up loins?!?!  😁

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

8 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

As a country boy from small town Wisconsin, I thoroughly enjoyed that read and cannot wait for the ensuing posts to come 🤣

I see in your signature you got all those snakes hissing in your bag ready to kick some booty! Have fun and sic em during your Cobra 50th Anniversary Challenge!

Cleveland

I took a GW, 9 Iron, & 5 Iron out to my golf course today to see how these perform off of grass.  Geez the GW & 9 iron is soooooooo easy to launch high towering shots that I had to wait for one of those Delta Jets flying across the range from Atlanta to clear the air space. 😁  Now with the 5 iron, I was firing heat-seeking missiles about  50 feet off the ground. The jets from Atlanta had no worries with my 5 iron in hand.   A couple of worms had their heads decapitated about 170 down the range as the ball was screaming along at Marc 5 speed.  😲  I spent a little time chipping on the practice green with the GW and surprisingly it worked pretty well.  I might try to use the 5 iron has a chipping iron with it being 7 iron length it could be a secret weapon. 

I'm living on the wild side as the TM Stealth 2 irons are getting a rest tomorrow as I put the OL in play during our Monday points game.   It should be interesting, to say the least! 😉

Cleveland

@StrokerAce  I'm seeing a lower ball flight with the 5 iron.  Is that the case with yours?  I'm putting the OLs in play today for their maiden voyage so it should be interesting.  I was hitting the GW beautifully on the range yesterday in spite of it feeling kind of weird being long. I loved the high ball flight which should work well on approaches over traps and such.  

Cleveland

@StrokerAce  I'm seeing a lower ball flight with the 5 iron.  Is that the case with yours?  I'm putting the OLs in play today for their maiden voyage so it should be interesting.  I was hitting the GW beautifully on the range yesterday in spite of it feeling kind of weird being long. I loved the high ball flight which should work well on approaches over traps and such.  

Yes; to be expected. Make sure you keep that consistent ball position. Once you get a pos that works for you keep it and don't deviate.

Good luck on the first round. Hope you make your playing partners mad with how accurate you are!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

My first round with the OL irons was not good. In fact, it was downright fugly as I had 48 strokes on the front and a little better on the back with a 42. I had too many topped shots today, especially with the short irons, and the downhill lies were brutal.  I couldn't figure out where to put the ball in my stance. With only one range session I figured the first round would be a shat show so not too concerned about my lack of performance. I can tell you one thing I didn't lose a ball all day so that was certainly the pinnacle of my day.   I realize gaming something so foreign to what I've been playing for decades is going to be a staunch challenge. 

Cleveland

52 minutes ago, ole gray said:

My first round with the OL irons was not good. In fact, it was downright fugly as I had 48 strokes on the front and a little better on the back with a 42. I had too many topped shots today, especially with the short irons, and the downhill lies were brutal.  I couldn't figure out where to put the ball in my stance. With only one range session I figured the first round would be a shat show so not too concerned about my lack of performance. I can tell you one thing I didn't lose a ball all day so that was certainly the pinnacle of my day.   I realize gaming something so foreign to what I've been playing for decades is going to be a staunch challenge. 

YOU CAN DO THIS

It does take more than a few range sessions to get both the swing and ball position dialed in but once you do - oh baby... it's like the peach pie grandma just made as you walk through the door on a hot Georgia day.... so, so, sweet.

Remember: one length/one swing/let the clubhead do the work. You don't need to do anything different except keep that puppy right in the same spot each time.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

On 5/21/2023 at 1:38 PM, ole gray said:

I took a GW, 9 Iron, & 5 Iron out to my golf course today to see how these perform off of grass.  Geez the GW & 9 iron is soooooooo easy to launch high towering shots that I had to wait for one of those Delta Jets flying across the range from Atlanta to clear the air space. 😁  Now with the 5 iron, I was firing heat-seeking missiles about  50 feet off the ground. The jets from Atlanta had no worries with my 5 iron in hand.   A couple of worms had their heads decapitated about 170 down the range as the ball was screaming along at Marc 5 speed.  😲  I spent a little time chipping on the practice green with the GW and surprisingly it worked pretty well.  I might try to use the 5 iron has a chipping iron with it being 7 iron length it could be a secret weapon. 

I'm living on the wild side as the TM Stealth 2 irons are getting a rest tomorrow as I put the OL in play during our Monday points game.   It should be interesting, to say the least! 😉

The bolded is why I loved demoing the OL in the "short" irons, and hated it in the "long" irons. I couldn't get good height/strikes out of anything below 7i. Everything above that gave me the iron height I've never had, and wish I had. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I can attest to how strange it looks when you've got a longer club in your hand and seeing that puppy in a 7 iron position. I had my fitting for the Cobra 50th and got a sample of a OL hybrid and it did some crazy things to my head. But when I hit it, wow! 

I have no idea how the short irons look, but it bet is also very different. You'll get it @ole gray, I believe you're too good of a golfer not to. 

3 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

YOU CAN DO THIS

It does take more than a few range sessions to get both the swing and ball position dialed in but once you do - oh baby... it's like the peach pie grandma just made as you walk through the door on a hot Georgia day.... so, so, sweet.

Remember: one length/one swing/let the clubhead do the work. You don't need to do anything different except keep that puppy right in the same spot each time.

I'll get the hang of it.  One thing that always messes with me is when I play standard grips on new clubs.  I have some MIDSIZE Golfpride CP2 Pro grips arriving tomorrow and the proper grip always helps me with better strikes.

Cleveland

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I can attest to how strange it looks when you've got a longer club in your hand and seeing that puppy in a 7 iron position. I had my fitting for the Cobra 50th and got a sample of a OL hybrid and it did some crazy things to my head. But when I hit it, wow! 

I have no idea how the short irons look, but it bet is also very different. You'll get it @ole gray, I believe you're too good of a golfer not to. 

I'm like an old fox in a chicken pen.  Once I get a taste of those solid strikes I'll be back for more. 😄

Cleveland

The video below makes sense concerning the ball position with the OL irons.  It's from Sterling and although some say to use the 7 iron ball position  I tend to agree that adjusting up or back until it fits an individual's personal setup is key.   That's what I will be working on this morning at the range prior to my round. 

Cleveland

I have an issue with my lower back flaring up from two bulging discs so my little experiment with the OL irons will be on injured reserve for a few days. 😪

Cleveland

Dollars to donuts next cobra release will not feature one length..

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

@StrokerAce & @sirchunksalot Guys I was really pumped to give the One Length Irons a thorough look but I had to go back to my TaylorMade Stealth HD irons. No doubt the OL irons could have worked for me if I had put in the time and practice however I couldn't resist the pull the HDs had on my heartstrings. 😍  I grabbed the OL irons on a whelm as I was shanking the shat out of the HDs and I was blaming it on them when the ole Indian, not the arrow was causing the sidewinders.  Anyways I have a lot of golf this summer with a couple of buddy trips out of town and I need to have the irons that will perform consistently best for me back in the sack. 

Cleveland

6 minutes ago, ole gray said:

@StrokerAce & @sirchunksalot Guys I was really pumped to give the One Length Irons a thorough look but I had to go back to my TaylorMade Stealth HD irons. No doubt the OL irons could have worked for me if I had put in the time and practice however I couldn't resist the pull the HDs had on my heartstrings. 😍  I grabbed the OL irons on a whelm as I was shanking the shat out of the HDs and I was blaming it on them when the ole Indian, not the arrow was causing the sidewinders.  Anyways I have a lot of golf this summer with a couple of buddy trips out of town and I need to have the irons that will perform consistently best for me back in the sack. 

Can't say I blame you @ole gray, what it all comes down to is having the best performing irons for you in the bag especially when you have some trips planned. We appreciate you giving them a go and sharing your experience with us. Them HD irons sound like they're not going anywhere for a while. 

3 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Can't say I blame you @ole gray, what it all comes down to is having the best performing irons for you in the bag especially when you have some trips planned. We appreciate you giving them a go and sharing your experience with us. Them HD irons sound like they're not going anywhere for a while. 

You're right the HDs are staying in the bag for 2023 and the unseen future.  You guys are rocking it in the Cobra 50th Anniversary Gig!  💣

Cleveland

53 minutes ago, ole gray said:

You're not the first to find that hybrid-style irons work better than OL for some folks, I've seen a lot of people try them out but ultimately end back with the variable length hybrid-style. I know @Wedgie tried OL a few times but ended up going back to the Cleveland Launchers. I don't know if it's just being so used to variable length and making the adjustment to OL harder, or if it's the difficulty in launching the lower lofted OL irons that's more the the cause. I know with me, if I could have launched the 5i/6i in OL, I'd be using them right now because the scoring irons and wedges were total money for me (now that I've picked up some speed over the past few years I actually do want to give OL another shot, FWIW). Whatever gives you the most comfort and helps you score is what matters.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

43 minutes ago, ole gray said:

You're right the HDs are staying in the bag for 2023 and the unseen future.  You guys are rocking it in the Cobra 50th Anniversary Gig!  💣

I appreciate it! We have a great group of fellas who were blessed to be chosen and I'm having fun getting to know them better and with the banter. There's also the fact that I'm enjoying getting to hit those beautiful clubs. They're performing great for me and I'm feeling confidence when stepping up to a shot. 

On 5/28/2023 at 7:42 AM, ole gray said:

I did the OL experiment for 1 golf season.  I found the low irons flew too high and could not get the ball to the back of the green.  I was "clubbing up" from the OL GW to a standard SW and it was flying further.  I really enjoyed playing the ball from 1 single position and not having to worry about any minor adjustments.  I actually had my career best round with OLs in the bag but overall decided to move away from them for the same reason as you did.

I dont think I will play them again but I do think they could be a valuable tool in teaching my young kids how to play one day.  I dont regret doing the experiment and certainly understand why some people prefer to play with them.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

I switched to one length last year.  I bought an inexpensive one length 4 iron and just tested it against my standard 4 iron.  While my standard 4i would definitely fly further when I had nice clean shot, I was more consistently hitting the one length 4i.  

This spring I almost quit and ordered a set of TM Stealth HD clubs, but I stuck with it and am pretty happy right now.  

While everyone just says to do your 7i set up on every club, I don’t think that really works.  Who swings their 4i the same as the GW?  Anyway, I’ve found minor changes in stance and ball placement do help with my success, but the ball placement changes are pretty minor.  Most important for me was to find the swing that worked faster or slower depending on the club/lie/distance.  

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikara Speeder NX 50r

#3, #5, #7 fairway woods 1 Iron Golf

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

8 hours ago, panhndl said:

I switched to one length last year.  I bought an inexpensive one length 4 iron and just tested it against my standard 4 iron.  While my standard 4i would definitely fly further when I had nice clean shot, I was more consistently hitting the one length 4i.  

This spring I almost quit and ordered a set of TM Stealth HD clubs, but I stuck with it and am pretty happy right now.  

While everyone just says to do your 7i set up on every club, I don’t think that really works.  Who swings their 4i the same as the GW?  Anyway, I’ve found minor changes in stance and ball placement do help with my success, but the ball placement changes are pretty minor.  Most important for me was to find the swing that worked faster or slower depending on the club/lie/distance.  

Are you still playing just the 4 iron or did you go ahead with a full set?

Cleveland

Are you still playing just the 4 iron or did you go ahead with a full set?

I have that 4i from Pinhawk brand and 5-9, PW, GW, SW, LW in 1 Iron Golf brand Pro-Line irons.  I also have 1 Iron Golf 3, 5, & 7 fairway woods.  

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikara Speeder NX 50r

#3, #5, #7 fairway woods 1 Iron Golf

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!