Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Choosing a Coach for lessons

I am looking into finding a new coach, I'm in Northern CA, Sacramento area so there is an abundance of golf courses with 3-4 teaching pros at each, a few Golftec sites, and a TopGolf in the area all with lesson plans. For those who have taken lessons, what questions did you ask prior to, or what research from available bios did you consider before deciding on a coach?  

Currently a 13hdcp (low 10.2 - Dec 22). Completed a full bag club fitting mid-2022, changed shafts in my driver to an x-stiff vs stiff, no other purchases made. Have taken 2 lessons in 2021 at one of my local clubs, didn't really vibe with the coach so I haven't been back, I was a 17 hdcp at the time. He did change my takeaway which has helped some, so not a complete waste. But I feel like I have hit a plateau in my game and need that next bump. 

Goal handicap 6-9 or better if possible. 

Edited by Stereotype
grammar

Driver:   :cobra-small: King F8 9.5D w/Motore X1 x-stiff
Fairway:  :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Fujikura Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F8 5-PW true temper XP 90 stiff 
Wedges: :callaway-small: 48° (10) Mack Daddy 4 S grind, :taylormade-small: 52° (09) Hi-Toe, :taylormade-small:56° (09) Milled Grind, :taylormade-small:60° (10) MG2 
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball: :vice: Pro (white & drip)

First thing is to assess your game and identify where you think you might need improvement, how much time you are willing to invest in the improvement, and how much you are willing to spend.  You didn’t vibe with your last coach so identify what you expect from a coach.  

next find coaches that are in you price range, see if you can find reviews, and then schedule a lesson/interview to evaluate your game.  After the lesson have the instructor provide a plan for improvement and see if it  aligns with what you are looking for.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

First thing is to assess your game and identify where you think you might need improvement, how much time you are willing to invest in the improvement, and how much you are willing to spend.  You didn’t vibe with your last coach so identify what you expect from a coach.  

next find coaches that are in you price range, see if you can find reviews, and then schedule a lesson/interview to evaluate your game.  After the lesson have the instructor provide a plan for improvement and see if it  aligns with what you are looking for.   

Thanks, maybe I was making this process a little too complicated in my mind. I'm a stat guy, so I'm pretty in tune with where I need help in my game. 

Wedges: :callaway-small: 48° (10) Mack Daddy 4 S grind, :taylormade-small: 52° (09) Hi-Toe, :taylormade-small:56° (09) Milled Grind, :taylormade-small:60° (10) MG2 

17 minutes ago, Stereotype said:

Thanks, maybe I was making this process a little too complicated in my mind. I'm a stat guy, so I'm pretty in tune with where I need help in my game. 

If you have stats, share them with your instructor.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The best coaches I’ve had. That would be two. They are the ones that take what you do well in the golf swing and build off that. I had one that tried to remake my swing and just screwed up my game. The other two I saw much more improvement because the changes seemed easier to do because I wasn’t changing as much.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

16 hours ago, Bossfan said:

The best coaches I’ve had. That would be two. They are the ones that take what you do well in the golf swing and build off that. I had one that tried to remake my swing and just screwed up my game. The other two I saw much more improvement because the changes seemed easier to do because I wasn’t changing as much.

I will definitely take that into consideration, I just booked an initial assessment for next week. I'll make sure to circle back to the thread with some feedback.  

17 hours ago, Bossfan said:

I’d say this should have been a discussion with the coaches.  Are we doing dramatic changes to the swing or tune ups to get some better performance.  A swing remake is going to mess up your game because it takes time to implement and isn’t something you accomplish in a lesson or two.  

A good instructor will only want to address one swing issue at a time; trying to address more than one issue is a recipe for disaster.  When you have made that change, then it's time to move on to other issues.  Be honest with any instructor on how much time you are willing to practice to make the changes; they can tell if you put in the time during the next lesson.  The time you spend practicing the movements will determine how long it takes you to move on to the next issue.  Playing golf while making a swing changes lengthens the time for the change.  When on the course, you tend to return to what feels comfortable and that's you old habits.  A good instructor will know when you have mastered the movement and when to work on the next issue.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

A good instructor will only want to address one swing issue at a time; trying to address more than one issue is a recipe for disaster.  When you have made that change, then it's time to move on to other issues.  Be honest with any instructor on how much time you are willing to practice to make the changes; they can tell if you put in the time during the next lesson.  The time you spend practicing the movements will determine how long it takes you to move on to the next issue.  Playing golf while making a swing changes lengthens the time for the change.  When on the course, you tend to return to what feels comfortable and that's you old habits.  A good instructor will know when you have mastered the movement and when to work on the next issue.

Not only just one but what one is going it have the biggest impact on the golfer improving. The good ones are also going to keep having the student work on whatever it is they identified til they are doing it pretty consistently. That could be 3-4 lessons over 4 months of pretty much the samething

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not only just one but what one is going it have the biggest impact on the golfer improving. The good ones are also going to keep having the student work on whatever it is they identified til they are doing it pretty consistently. That could be 3-4 lessons over 4 months of pretty much the samething

Yep!  I was going to mention that.  Thanks for the addition.  BTW, I still have to work on Monte’s fix for my lack of rotation and depth from a year ago!  It’s not that I can’t do it; it’s just harder to do when a ball is in front of me!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!! @Kenny B @RickyBobby_PR @cnosil @Bossfan

Had my lesson yesterday, and took pieces of all of your advice: 

• We discussed his teaching philosophy versus my goals and current course strategies/management.
  • Discussed my current stats on GIR, FIR, and putts. 
  • I hit a few balls some pure, some okay, nothing horrible. He said he liked what he saw and discussed small improvements that we can make over time. 
    • Gave me one thing to work on before we meet again.
  • Discussed how he wants me to practice in between lessons, warm-up before rounds, and focus on some new goals for each round.

I think the blind date went well, definitely vibed on energy and conversation, the dude just loves golf. Signed up for a pack of lessons. Thanks all, definitely went into this as a more informed consumer - sincerely appreciate your help and perspective.