Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ocean Isle, NC

Going to be headed to Ocean Isle for a family trip soon and am hoping to get a round of golf in one afternoon. Does anyone have any recommendations for courses around there? I know there are a lot of options, also I will likely be bringing my 6 year old son with me so a course that is a little more casual would probably be best. He is capable and loves golf but I know pace can sometimes be a little slower with kids (although I have never had an issue when taking him). Thanks for any help!

Ben Honshell

As you are aware, several good courses nearby, but courses fun to play by a 6 year old, less so.  We go to Sunset Beach regularly and an option a few have used for young golfers is the par 3 course just across the state line in Little River (SC), unable to remember the name.  It is on the West side of US 17.  Also, at least from the way it looks from the road (Hwy US 17), Valley at Eastport Golf Club might be what you seek for a young golfer.  It is across the street from the par 3.  I am assuming desired course attributes to avoid for young golfers: forced carries over water, deep bunkers, fast undulating greens, etc,  Most courses offer quite a few sets of tees, so choose a set to make sure the young golfer has fun.  However, if you are willing to play courses with such characteristics; the nearest course to OIB is Rivers Edge a nice Arnold Palmer design.  If you venture out towards Sunset Beach, a few good courses well worth playing and you never leave NC.  I especially enjoy these during summer weeks if I get a tee time before 7:30AM, then I am back at our beach house and sitting on the beach by Noon to 1pm.  

1) Sea Trail (3 courses: Maples, Byrd & Jones)
2) Oyster Bay
3) Sand Piper Bay (3 nines)
4) The Pearl (3 nines, 9 holes closed Jan 2020)
5) The Thistle (3 nines)
6) Ocean Ridge Plantation (4 courses: Panther, Lion, Tiger & Leopard)
7) Crow Creek
😎 Meadowlands   

Hope this helps and have a great vacation.

Aberdeen and Myrtlewood (Pine Hills course) have junior tees. 

The Thistle has longer spans between tee times so nobody will be on your butt.

Crow Creek has less trouble around the course than others in the area.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 5/25/2023 at 8:14 AM, bdhonshell said:

Going to be headed to Ocean Isle

I returned from a trip to NC end of April.  My brother and I played an extra round at   The Links at Brick Landing, right there in Ocean Isle.  It was closed for a couple years, recently re-opened (2-3) years.   Its a little rough around the edges, we had an afternoon tee time 3:30 pm,  it was $42 for 18 and a cart, and we pretty much had the place to ourselves.  FYI

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV