Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

GolfBallNut article - waterlogged golf balls

I am a strong supporter of recycling and reusing things when possible. One of these areas is playing used golf balls. I love the idea of saving money on barely used balls, but I was also curious about the performance of balls that have been retrieved from a water hazard. I bought my last batch of used balls from GolfBallNut and they had an article about waterlogged balls - https://www.golfballnut.com/blogs/golf-ball-nut-blog/waterlogged-golf-balls-fact-or-fiction - seems like there is minimal performance difference... but I wanted to see what you all thought. Anyone have feedback on this?

I don't know how much variance is found from supplier to supplier of used golf balls.  MGS HQ did include Reloaded ProV1s in their 2021 ball test,   https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-balls/best-golf-balls-2021/

They didn't fair that great.  Compared to,  really any ball.  But they are still a golf ball that generally acts like a golf ball. 

Screenshot_20230525_130429_Firefox.jpg.51d1634512e01bee332c51ecc8b74e57.jpg

So if you like the price and the story, you are okay that they aren't as consistent and dont fly a far as new balls,  then they are good for you.

from a pure performance view,  they aren't the same as a new ball. But it would be really hard to say that playing them is costing you in strokes.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, Digforged said:

To be fair reloads are repainted golf balls and not the same as “found” or “water balls”. 

Yeah,  like i said,  not sure about the quality from one provider to the next. I'm guessing that all the reloaded balls also are found/ water balls with some minor blemishes painted over. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

My home course could be characterized as a resort/destination course that has narrow fairways, water and mangroves.  There's a reason why our course is one of the bestselling retail locations for Srixon balls!  I played with a guy about six months ago who lost two dozen balls in 15 holes and had to quite because he ran out!  Without even trying, I'll typically end up with 2-3 found balls a round.  Inevitably, if I go in to find my partner's ball, I'll some out with at least his/her and one or two others.  My rule of thumb to keeping them in my bag for potential use is the following:

(1) if it's a pristine ball I use, recycle and put it in the bag.   

(2) if the discoloration can't be cleaned off with a ball washer-toss it.

(3) if it's decent and a brand I typically don't use-give it away to my friends.  I have friends who typically loose 2-5 balls a round, so they appreciate not having to shell out money for new balls every 3 or 4 rounds.  

(4) if it says "Refinished" toss it in the caged in practice area.   

There's enough variability in my game.  I don't have the mental bandwidth to worry the refinished ball initial condition or if it's really what it says it is.  Heaven knows, I'll find another sleeve of balls in my next round anyway!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Honestly, until used golf ball companies can tell you how long a ball has been sitting in the water, it is a crapshoot. Balls absorb water and decrease performance, that has been tested and studied to death. As new as they can make them look, that doesn't tell you what is on the inside sadly.

On 6/2/2023 at 9:39 AM, cardia10 said:

Honestly, until used golf ball companies can tell you how long a ball has been sitting in the water, it is a crapshoot. Balls absorb water and decrease performance, that has been tested and studied to death. As new as they can make them look, that doesn't tell you what is on the inside sadly.

I thought golf balls were waterproof?

6 minutes ago, jaclinto said:

Golf balls are not waterproof.   If submerged they will absorb water.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 6/8/2023 at 1:55 PM, cnosil said:

Golf balls are not waterproof.   If submerged they will absorb water.  

I don’t disagree, but I haven’t ever seen any data to back this up. I would be really interested to see a study showing how much water is absorbed, and over what time period. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

On 6/8/2023 at 1:48 PM, jaclinto said:

All mine float!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x