Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Pro Mental Coach Review

GolfSpy Barbajo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the range today trying to unlock the mysteries of the 3 wood. After hitting it awfully for a while I decided to try to focus only on my breathing and let everything else be automatic as they describe in PMC. I used my tour striker to instill the right swing feel and just swung away. As long as I didn't try to crush the thing, I was hitting it exactly as I wanted.

I'm with both of you about ignoring bad shots and distractions. For whatever reason, I haven't let bad shots get to me since using PMC. I remember a round I had before where a series of bad shots got me into a funk I couldn't get out of for the rest of the round. In the few times I've played since PMC, I've gotten much better at "resetting" myself before each shot and forgetting bad shots.

I have done some research on the mental game of golf not too much information out their on it honestly. Breathing techniques are something you hear Tour Pros talk about once in a blue moon, maybe some of the PMC testers can touch on this and what kind of drills that PMC has you doing that has helped you stay 'in the zone' / 'calm and collected'.

I know that in my game I use this a lot, I try to stay emotionally pretty even leveled. I don't think about mechanics over the ball my thought is a FEEL thought such as 'smooth' relating to my tempo. It seems to get some great results out of it, if you just think about one FEEL thought in the swing let everything else fall into place. Mechanics for swing are practiced and repeated on the range 3000 - 5000 times for them to be automatic anyways why think about it on the course.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I have done some research on the mental game of golf not too much information out their on it honestly. Breathing techniques are something you hear Tour Pros talk about once in a blue moon, maybe some of the PMC testers can touch on this and what kind of drills that PMC has you doing that has helped you stay 'in the zone' / 'calm and collected'.

I know that in my game I use this a lot, I try to stay emotionally pretty even leveled. I don't think about mechanics over the ball my thought is a FEEL thought such as 'smooth' relating to my tempo. It seems to get some great results out of it, if you just think about one FEEL thought in the swing let everything else fall into place. Mechanics for swing are practiced and repeated on the range 3000 - 5000 times for them to be automatic anyways why think about it on the course.

What PMC says about the breathing is it helps get your heart rate to a steady pace. When your heart is beating too fast, it interferes with your natural mechanics. Plus, concentrating on breathing (at least for me) is a great way to clear my mind. I still struggle trusting myself sometimes, but as you say, I probably just need more reps.

There are several breathing drills they have you do. I think PMC must have decided this is an area I really need to work on because I get them all the time. One drill has you put down pictures of your preshot routine. You are supposed to space out the picture properly according to how long you take with each part of your routine. Then, you hit start are are supposed to hit the space bar each time you breath in. The test is to repeat this and you are supposed to breath in at the same rate as before.

The second drill simply has you breathing in and out 6 times per minute. This is supposedly the optimum rate to lower your heart rate. They help you time your breathing by showing a golfer swinging at this rate. As you go to high difficulties, the golfer stops swinging for progressively longer periods of time. This is my personal favorite because you can feel yourself relax as you go through the drill. There are sounds that occur in the background, but these never really bother me.

The third drill is outright mediation. They want you to focus only on your breathing while you stare at a white ball. Each time a distracting thought comes to you, you are supposed to hit the space bar. The ball then becomes larger and slowly goes back down to size. This is meant to help remove the distracting thought. I've only done this one once though.

I'm finding the breathing drills somewhat useful -- at least I know on the course that slow down the breathing when I'm getting ready to hit a shot. Not sure about the meditation drill, though...it was mentioned earlier that it's way too easy to cheat, and for a borderline ADD type (at least according to my wife) I'll have thoughts like "was that a distracting thought?" popping into my head. Will try going through that drill a few more times to see if I'm missing something.

As others have stated, so far the biggest benefit for me has been help in staying in the moment, enjoying the process and letting go of a bad shot.

The most important shot is always the next one.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm finding the breathing drills somewhat useful -- at least I know on the course that slow down the breathing when I'm getting ready to hit a shot. Not sure about the meditation drill, though...it was mentioned earlier that it's way too easy to cheat, and for a borderline ADD type (at least according to my wife) I'll have thoughts like "was that a distracting thought?" popping into my head. Will try going through that drill a few more times to see if I'm missing something.

As others have stated, so far the biggest benefit for me has been help in staying in the moment, enjoying the process and letting go of a bad shot.

The most important shot is always the next one.

I think the meditation is a practice for "being present", at least I would assume. This is just forgetting about the past, forgetting about the future and not thinking of anything other then being present in the time and space. I could be wrong but a lot of times on the course espesually in tournaments I just turn off the brain as much as possible between shots and just walk being present in the world while between shots. Play my best golf when I have little going on in my head through the round.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I would say that the mental side of the game has been what has allowed me to play my best golf & many more times than not, allowed me to beat a player(s) that I had no business beating...I guess the ultimate test, at least for me, is match-play...This past Saturday I won a semi-final match 1-up on the 21st hole against a +2, who played the Nike & Hogan(pre-Nationwide) Tours and seeing that he wasn't going to go further than that, "got a real job" & regained his amateur status...

My point is that I had no business beating him if we both play to our capabilities...Fortunately, on Saturday, while he had 70(-1) & I had a 72, other than a double that I had where he parred, we matched cards with me getting "lucky" on the 21st hole by holing out a 22 yd LW..I'm not kidding when I say that I visualized that wedge holing out..Was it luck?..Hell yea!..Though "worse" case is that by visualizing it going in the hole & if it didn't go in, hopefully the "touch" that I applied to the shot would leave me with a short makeable birdie putt....The only mental exercise that I really do religously is visualization...I spend about 15-20 minutes in the moring & will spend time during the day when I am by myself & in the evenings, though earlier than bedtime so that I don't doze off...I also will play through my round, prior to the round/match, in my head, visualizing each & every shot...It's kinda funny because I did this on Friday evening & I had myself shooting a 70, though my birdies on Saturday were not the same ones that I had visualized, nor was the OB & double that I had Saturday in my visualization exercise...lol...

If/when I hit a poor shot, all that I do in my mind is visualize the next shot that is required, giving no thought to the shot that I just hit...This used to be easier said than done, though I have no problem putting the poor last shot out of my mind now...Ironically, where I started to use visualization was in high school football..My position coach told me about it & we would watch film of both myself & the individual that I wold be going up against that week..I was an outside linebacker(wide side/willie)...I would literally visualize a spot 4 yds deep in backfield, & anticipating the snap(usually..lol), I would go to that spot & usually I met either the RB or the QB, and on more than a few occasions, both...I didn't even look @ the TE, RB or tackle or whomever was to block me or in between me and that spot... If I got to that spot, more often than not, I ended up with whoever had the ball in their hands..Was I succeptable to the screen or play action?..Yea, but that's another story & I was lucky in that in both HS and college I had a great "monster" back(safety) to cover my backside..lol...

Anyway, my point is that if you truly use visualization, which is different from meditation, & you use it seriously, you will definitely benefit freom it...I find it especially helpful when I have hit a less than optimum shot in that visualizing my next shot with no thought of the one that I just hit keeps my mind where it needs to be, in the present & future, not in the past, where nothing can be done about that outcome, other than to sripe the next shot...

I have probably 35-40 books on the use of visualization in sports..Some are golf specific, some are general & a few are academic in nature(From an application standpoint, they're worthless, it's deep theory, which you don't need to know to apply the technique)...Like alot of the "physical" golf instructional books, many are worthless or generic, though a few are excellent, usually with a chapter dedicated to the technique..If you have any interest in the titles, let me know & I'll give 'em to ya...

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

Are visualization and meditation mutually exclusive? Meditation is about clearing your mind from distracting thoughts. I'd assume the best results come from visualizing the shot while having a clear mind.

The logical part of the brain is a terrible golfer, think about catching a ball thrown at you without warning, you just react to what you see right? Now sit there and think about catching the ball and mechanics of it on the next throw, if you drop it you will lose a finger. Now more then likely you will not being able to move naturally and athletically in the second example will you?

Golf is about attempting to react to what you visually see athletically and creatively. Just like all other sports, only issue is it is easy to react to a moving object rather then a stationary one. So we have to find a way to let the body act naturally and athletically still. Thus why I say to just have a tempo thought over the ball like 'smooth' let everything else work automatically.

BTW, Great posts R.P.

I have much more to stick up on this later but WDgolf did a good run down. The first I want to touch on was the one he mentioned about setup. I find it to be an interesting and odd exercise.

First, it gets you to essentially map out your setup with pictures and then gets you to add in points where you would take a breathe. The idea sounds neat initially. The first hurdle however is that I have no idea what half of those pictures represents. The second is that I'm having an issue adjusting the placement of the pictures on the story board to have the appropriate level of time between them. Sure, I can put down the fact that I measure my spot from the ball, then set up my body, then regrip and put in the markers for where I take a breathe or where I think I should. However I can't seem to space them in such a way to make show that it's 6 seconds not 1 between taking a setup and regripping and I take two deep breathes in between.

That being said, I like the idea of the drill. The makers can correct me as they wish but what it appears to do is to get you into your preswing breathing pattern outside of the swing. Thus it becomes a natural pattern and not just something you do when you stand over the ball and thus have to think about it.

A breif touch on one of the other breathing drills is the one where it shows a cartoon video of a random golfer hitting balls at a green. They get you to tap the space bar when you take in a deep breath and they're looking for a timing of 8 to 12 seconds between inhale and ready to inhale again. As mentioned above, you can certainly feel yourself relax as the drill goes on. Doing this drill a fair bit has actually helped on the course recently as it reminds me to calm down before taking a shot. A deep breath where I can literally see this drill in my head, a little waggle or two to relax my forarms and then pull the trigger. It's been leading to more consistent results with clubs that use to give me trouble or shots I was more anxious over. The routine of taking a shot is more natural as it becomes something (aside from the waggle) that I do everyday. Though I will totally admit to waggling the clutch on my standard while the light is red instead :lol:

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I am trying to figure out why you quoted your own post R.P. and didn't make any comments? It is a good post that is for sure. Are you comparing your routine with PMC visual drills?

JM no, I was trying to correct a grammatical error & I somehow hit the button to post it...Then I went back into edit & did a back space through the whole post(that was tiring) trying to delete everything..lol...but it still put the whole post up so I just back spaced & just apologized...I'm not kidding when I tell ya I'm IT challenged...Sorry about the wasted posts, space..This sux!..lol...Fairways & Greens 4ever...

it is okay I just got confused for a minute.

Back to PMC, does the software do anything in putting together a pre-shot routine from a mental stand point (I talked about it in a different topic I think under University Mental Game section.)

it is okay I just got confused for a minute.

Back to PMC, does the software do anything in putting together a pre-shot routine from a mental stand point (I talked about it in a different topic I think under University Mental Game section.)

The software doesn't coach you in any way on how to approach your game. It's geared towards helping you handle pressure, get into and out of "the zone", not get bothered by distractions or past results. In other words, it tries to instill good habits into your routines rather than tell you what your routine should be.

The software doesn't coach you in any way on how to approach your game. It's geared towards helping you handle pressure, get into and out of "the zone", not get bothered by distractions or past results. In other words, it tries to instill good habits into your routines rather than tell you what your routine should be.

good explanation WD, I like it when something is more targeting a skill set to work into your current game. If people don't have a pre-shot routine I sure can suggest one lol.

good explanation WD, I like it when something is more targeting a skill set to work into your current game. If people don't have a pre-shot routine I sure can suggest one lol.

The closest they get to that is the drill where they ask you to depict your preshot routine and then insert the breathing spots into it. If it's something you haven't thought of before, it will certainly get you doing so while making it.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I went to a new course, which as usual I had planned out and as usual my planning hardly helped once hills factored in. The first few holes were a tease and I pared them, hitting my driver with a nice draw for about 250 yards. The fourth hole was a blind shot which I hate, and that was when the snowball effect kicked in. I knew I should have hit an easy 3H, but instead I tried to crush my 3H and tripled the hole. Literally the next 5 holes were all blind shots, so I stopped keeping score :). I didn't get back into my groove until the last 5 holes (14 hole course), partly because I didn't care about my score anymore, but also partly because my son sank a 20 ft putt, which was just awesome.

Moral of the story, I'm still having a lot of trouble translating the PMC training to the course, but then again I'm fighting years of dealing with my frustration one way vs weeks of doing what PMC suggests. I also have zero confidence in my putter right now and am dying to get my new one, hopefully this week...

I will also say that some of the PMC games aren't fun anymore and are just stressful. One game in particular has you memorize 4-6 scores in the 60s, 70s, or 80s and repeat it back in order or reverse order, sometimes throwing in a delay between when they say the score and when you have to repeat it. I frankly just don't see how this helps my golf game. I do still like the breathing games though, these are the ones I try to use on the course, so far unsuccessfully, but I think it'll get better over time.

WD & ST, bottom line, at this point in your experience with PMC, would you say that it has benefitted you & if so, how?....

What were your goals/objectives going into this review?....

Right now, no, but I'm only partly through the program. When it's time to do a new assessment I'll report back with what I think. My current approach is to take this like exercise though, so I'm not too concerned that I don't have game changing results yet. As I said, I've spent years dealing with frustration one way. PMC offers a more mindful approach to deal with frustration, so I just need to keep trying it.

I was recently diagnosed with a condition which my doctor thought could be cancer. It ended up not being that, but my whole life and any future experiences I had hoped to have flashed before my eyes. April and part of May was a tough time.

Going through something like that and getting a reprieve makes you think about things differently. Nothing upsets me or causes "fear" on the golf course anymore and if I start to feel that way, perspective kicks in and quickly squelches it. Golf has become much more enjoyable as a result and my playing partners have commented on how "level headed" I am in the face of adversity. If they only knew.

I wouldn't recommend my path to enlightenment but thought I would share in the event that it would set off a light bulb for some people.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I only took the assessment test for Pro Mental Coach but the strangest think has happened. The scores it gives you said that I was 90 percent on stress management, but of course I already knew that. Also, I was pretty good at getting over the previous shot. Unless it is the 14th putt in a row that I have missed but that is another thread. I have always been the type that fuctions better under stress. I do not remember all the stuff but I am or should say was very easily distracted. The slightest sound, or bug, or movement or especially a good looking beer car girl (still distracted by that one.:P ) But after reading the scores of the PMC it identified my weakest area. I have focused on that and have really concentrated better and played better.

Of course, new clubs, better swing, and consistant preshot routine helped a lot, but I am not as distracted on the green as I was. I still could not putt, but at least it was not because I was distracted.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I was recently diagnosed with a condition which my doctor thought could be cancer. It ended up not being that, but my whole life and any future experiences I had hoped to have flashed before my eyes. April and part of May was a tough time.

Going through something like that and getting a reprieve makes you think about things differently. Nothing upsets me or causes "fear" on the golf course anymore and if I start to feel that way, perspective kicks in and quickly squelches it. Golf has become much more enjoyable as a result and my playing partners have commented on how "level headed" I am in the face of adversity. If they only knew.

I wouldn't recommend my path to enlightenment but thought I would share in the event that it would set off a light bulb for some people.

Glad for your repreive.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

WD & ST, bottom line, at this point in your experience with PMC, would you say that it has benefitted you & if so, how?....

What were your goals/objectives going into this review?....

R.P.

My objectives were three fold

A: Try and give the MGS'ers as much useable information as made sense. I have a tendency to blather on and on about tiny details that no one cares about. Rather then touching on every small aspect, I wanted to paint a broader picture so people could ask detail orinented questions about certain things if they wished.

B: As someone who's played other sports at a high level I've long been subjected to different types of sports psycology. At least for me personal information, I wanted to see the techniques that PMC wanted to use and how that would translate into the games they have you do.

I have some notes at home about how each of the games I do relates to different psyc principles and my thoughts on the goal of each game and how it releates to mental acuity and then to the applied aspect of golf. I figured that falls into the too much detail though heh.

C: To see if I will notice any demonstrable difference on the course and how I can qualify what, at first glance appears to be an unquantifyable alteration, at then boil it down to a yes/no for a positive change.

Realisticlly, I tried to be entirely open minded but I did have a touch of skepticism thrown in. Something not reserved to PMC or software by the way. It's my stance on all golf gizmo's, even some ones that others seem to like quite a bit.

What I'm seeing so far is that as I don't let errant shots bother me as much, I'm having a more enjoyable time out there for the most part. Shanking 4 drives in a row is still deeply frustrating and will always be so but that shot that starts beautifully before rolling into the trees or such is less round destroying then it use to be.

Is this having a demonstrative effect on my scores? For me it is. I need to quantify that by saying that my tee game costs me more shots then anything else. I'm a great iron player, good wedge player, decent putter but until the past couple of months sticking a driver in my hands was just asking for it.

Between settling down that swing a fair bit and not letting iffy results that are still playable bother me as much, I've seen some scoring dropping. Mostly on the key second shot whether it's just looking for a punch out or a decent placement somewhere then trying to play "catch up" and go for the glory shot.

Great post RP, I have to agree with the statements that meditation and visualization are not exclusive. Meditation can really clear the mind of negative thoughts, once the mind is clear of all negative thoughts then one can start visualization of positive outcomes. I think golf has to do a lot with always finding the positive stuff about the situation even if the result was poor. For example you can't think the word don't when painting the picture of a result. Example "don't go into the bunker" before a shot, 99% of time if you hit it in the bunker it was a great shot. You painted the picture of it going in the bunker the brain will not process negative statements it process the last part of the statement as a positive.

I practice "being present" on the course as much as possible. This just means clearing my mind of everything about golf in-between shots. I listen to birds chirping, the wind blowing through trees, the warm sun on my skin, anything that is relaxing and positive. When I get to my shot I have a clear mind don't even recall how I got to that position. I can pick a positive target and paint the picture to make an aggressive swing to that target. "being present" is a different form of meditation but the over all goal is the same of tossing out the negative and the irrelevant thoughts the "garbage" so to speak.

The more you can keep your mind free of negative thoughts and distractions that happen in a round the better end result you will have, that is just kind of my take on things. That is why I have been asking some of the questions that I have in regards to PMC to help myself and maybe others get a more clear picture of what PMC does to improve mind set not only for golf but in life really.

If you all want to compare it to something I have found GolfPsych to be a good resource and they have a free mini assessment quiz.

--> http://www.golfpsych.com/blog/

Glad for your repreive.

Thanks brother.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Ditto what RoverRick said -- a speaker I heard once said any trouble in life that doesn't involve the health and safety of yourself or a loved one can be summed up in one word -- inconvenient. That may oversimplify life a bit, but it's sure something to remember!

My experience so far with PMC has been mostly a calming affect - trying to stay in the moment and building some mental endurance to keep focus through 18 holes. It was tested a bit last week in Virginia -- played badly but was still able to (mostly) keep focus and enjoy the game and experience. And was still able to hit good shots on the last hole, even though the round was already shot to hell.

For me the exercises have been mostly about blocking out distractions and trying to do simple tasks without thinking -- just speeding up reaction time while maintaining focus for long periods of time. Has it translated to performance on the course? Well, I'm having more fun, if that counts. I've also had my best round of the year since starting the program (and some stinkers, too), and I can' remember the last time I came home from the course angry or frustrated.

To sum up the three things I've taken from the program so far...

Focus on the next shot, not the last one...

Develop mental endurance to keep focus up through 18 holes, no matter what the results...

Block out distractions, focus on hitting the ball...

There's nothing in the program that's instructing me to do this -- other than the introduction which analyzed what they mean by "the mental game." I can see how some of the exercises have helped...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So now that's it's been a bit longer, are you guys seeing anymore changes? I find at this point perhaps my breathing spots have changed during my setup and I'm still rolling with shrugging off blah results more easily but I haven't noticed anything else. Not to sneeze on either of those, because they're both having a nice effect both on my score and the enjoyment of the rounds, I'm just not sure if I expected something else over the longer term or not.

I'm still where I was before, the breathing games help, but I'm not enjoying the other games. I am due for my assessment test though, I just haven't had a chance to do it. I've found I still can get frustrated on the course and the breathing techniques help with that. As for the mental agility games, I still don't get how they help, when do you need to think quickly on a golf course?

It's really hard to tell if I'm getting less frustrated on the course because of PMC or because I'm playing better. Or perhaps I'm playing better because of PMC? I can't really tell... :blink:

I should add that after spending 8-12 hours programing or in meetings a day, my mind has been pretty worn out, so that may be affecting my review of PMC.

• 4 weeks later...

Updating this thread --

Haven't been too diligent on my mental "training" of late...but a couple of months later I can draw a few conclusions:

1. Am much better at "staying in the moment" and relaxing on the course. Not sure which helped more, the exercises or simply reading about the importance of staying in the moment...

2. Finding it much easier to let go of a bad hole and focus on the next shot. Triple-bogied a par 3 last weekend ( no penalty strokes - just a series of awful shots), but followed it up with a monster drive, and 9 iron to 10 feet, lipped out the birdie putt and tapped in for par. Parred the final two holes, as well.

3. Related note - much better at staying mentally focused towards the end of the round -- not letting it all fall apart or getting physically or mentally tired.

Will try to get back into the "training" mode this week...

Other testers -- how are you doing with the program?

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Updating this thread --

Haven't been too diligent on my mental "training" of late...but a couple of months later I can draw a few conclusions:

1. Am much better at "staying in the moment" and relaxing on the course. Not sure which helped more, the exercises or simply reading about the importance of staying in the moment...

2. Finding it much easier to let go of a bad hole and focus on the next shot. Triple-bogied a par 3 last weekend ( no penalty strokes - just a series of awful shots), but followed it up with a monster drive, and 9 iron to 10 feet, lipped out the birdie putt and tapped in for par. Parred the final two holes, as well.

3. Related note - much better at staying mentally focused towards the end of the round -- not letting it all fall apart or getting physically or mentally tired.

I've laid off PMC for a while because I find it painfully boring TBH. From my experience it's made me more aware of how to let go of a bad hole, or worse, two back-to-back bad holes using breathing techniques/meditation. However, I still don't get how most of the games are supposed to help me stay positive or mentally aware. Being able to repeat numbers in backwards order or click on happy faces is great, but how does that help my game? I've sent this feedback to PMC and they thanked me for my response, but I haven't heard yet whether they really consider it an issue. It may be just me :D.

I had a blow up day on the course yesterday where my swing was totally shot, but I can still enjoy being out and just working to improve my swing, short game, and putting. What's harder and something PMC doesn't address is dealing with a playing partner who is cranky and probably needs more sleep :D. Funny how an 8 year old isn't happy with a long drive straight down the middle because mine landed past his or yells at the ball for not listening to him after a bad putt :lol: (in general he's very good, but we all have bad days).

For me mental game comes into a state of mind that allows me to be calm and collected. It allows me to play each shot for the situation, not think about he past, not thinking about shots that have not been played yet. Completely focused on that one shot for 60 to 90 seconds. Then I just go back to enjoying being outside enjoying the elements and sounds that are around me in nature. I pretty much try to completely zone out what my opponents are doing and just play my game.

It might sound rude but I am not talkative on the golf course, I keep to myself majority of the time. I deal with annoying playing partners by zoning them out completely or as much as possible, just getting my mind into a cocoon like state. I am not a person that recall likes to verbalize my thoughts about a shut, sure they might think them as the ball is in the air but once it is done and at rest, that is the result and I move on to the next shot.

I really am like you i don't see how repeating numbers backwards helps a mental approach to golf other then possibly having more focus on the task at hand more to get it correct. Clicking on happy faces I am assuming you are talking about the golf ball drills they do, again that is a focus thing to help you focus on the detailed task that needs to be accomplished I think.

Getting extremely detailed with the shot you want to play helps draw an exact mental picture and focus on the exact task at hand, so maybe that is what they were after in the drills that they created?

Getting extremely detailed with the shot you want to play helps draw an exact mental picture and focus on the exact task at hand, so maybe that is what they were after in the drills that they created?

They have one game for putting together your preshot routine, but the focus is on breathing and the pictures they give you to create the routine are pretty vague. For the other games, they have nothing to do with mentally focusing on a task in a linear fashion and then eliminating all swing thoughts from your head. I would love if they could come up with something like this, but for the life of me I can't imagine how to do that on a computer.

Updating this thread --

I fully agree with #1 and #2. Both of these aspects have helped me quite a bit on the course and I've seen an alteration in scoring because of it. As a collorary to that, it's shrunk my blow up holes a couple of strokes because I'm not so annoyed I don't take the next shot properly or go for the hero shot. Snowmen and worse have been replaced by a max of 6.

I can't really comment on #3. I'm a wuss in the heat but love the cold. The warmer it gets, the worse I get towards the end of a round. Not exactly something PMC can help out with heh.

I can't really comment on #3. I'm a wuss in the heat but love the cold. The warmer it gets, the worse I get towards the end of a round. Not exactly something PMC can help out with heh.

Sounds like the Canucks in last year's finals :o

Love,

Bruins fan...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived