Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Pro Mental Coach Review

GolfSpy Barbajo

Sounds like the Canucks in last year's finals :o

Love,

Bruins fan...

Hahahaha! Even funnier since I'm not a Canucks fan (nor origianlly from Vancouver).

Instead I've had to live through the disappointment of the Sharks being a "cup contender" for the past 8 years and choking every single time.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahahaha! Even funnier since I'm not a Canucks fan (nor origianlly from Vancouver).

Instead I've had to live through the disappointment of the Sharks being a "cup contender" for the past 8 years and choking every single time.

That's called the "Joe Thornton Syndrome," all the talent in the world but shy on testicular fortitude...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

That's called the "Joe Thornton Syndrome," all the talent in the world but shy on testicular fortitude...

Alternatively I call it the Marleau flip flop effect. Great player with all the skill to be one of the best in the business but simply doesn't seem to care. It's like he's trying to passive agressively show off how relaxed he is.

We're going pretty far afield here though.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Alternatively I call it the Marleau flip flop effect. Great player with all the skill to be one of the best in the business but simply doesn't seem to care. It's like he's trying to passive agressively show off how relaxed he is.

We're going pretty far afield here though.

Yep - that would definitely go against the teaching of Pro Mental Coach. Can't let distractions get to us!!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 7 months later...

Are you all still using this thing now that it is almost a year later? Has it helped at all if so? I'm just sort of curious if a $140 product like this works long term.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Are you all still using this thing now that it is almost a year later? Has it helped at all if so? I'm just sort of curious if a $140 product like this works long term.

No, it got repetitive very quickly and the annoying issues just got more annoying. I still cannot see how it helps the mental game and I never did hear back other than a "thank you for your feedback" when I sent the PMC guys what I thought.

That said, being a software engineer I'm essentially solving puzzles all the time, so it may be that it might be more helpful for someone with a different background.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend it.

My experience is a little different. I could see how some of the drills could train your brain to focus and not be distracted, and I think those things did help me some, and would have helped me more with the required dedication. This is a program you have to work at.

The single biggest benefit I got from the program was in the lessons on statin in the moment, enjoying the experience and not letting a bad shot or a bad hole take up residency in your head. For some reason those lessons struck a chord with me and I can distinctly remember walking to the next tee after a bad hole with the narrators voice in my head.

I would think, for the serious competitive golfer who is willing to invest the time, there's so e useful stuff in there. They go to kind of hokey lengths to make some of the exercises golf-related, but if you're committed, I think it would be useful.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I stumbled across this free website that will test you and has training for your brain / mental game in-directly:

http://www.cognifit.com/

I am crious how close they are to one another to the training (I'm sure PMC is more golf focused when CongiFit is more in general)

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 1 month later...

I just saw a commercial for this product on the TV and wondered if, now that the season is starting up north, if any of you broke this out as part of getting ready or not? Or if any of you have seen any true benefits from this?

While I was not part of the test program, I did do the evaluation exercise. Not sure how much the actual exercise helped but it did make me realize some of my "issues" I had.

Last year at this time, I was easily distracted during my preshot and often continued on even when I realized I was distracted and of course hit some very bad shots. Especially, when I got up close to the green with other players milling around and getting ready for their shots I would get distracted. Putting just the slightest movement distracted me. So I have spent all these months training myself to get in the zone. And I have had terrific results.

I have intentionally played several practice rounds with a friend and his 10 year old son. This used to bother me a lot and I avoided him, but I have decided to use this as an opportunity to work on my focus.

Last week, I was playing well, and was really "in the zone" especially on the greens. After two double bogies, I had a six stroke lead through 10 holes and was even par, and was putting for a par to get seven strokes up, when one of the guys came and stood about a foot from my putt line between me and the hole hoping to break my concentration. I said you are not bothering me, and made the putt. I ended up even par for the day, and won by a bunch. The guys were trying to distract me and since I was still able to focus I did not care.

I did not complete this program but I do credit it for helping me determine that it was one of my weaknesses. New irons, and fixing a few swing flaws also helps but the mental game is even more important.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I've been firing it up every couple of days lately. I've noticed a horrible trend in my last few rounds that once I get frustrated, I can't seem to shake it off and my scores compound. My entertainment value to the group takes a nose dive I suspect as well. Part of that is just not being comfortable over the ball, but part of that I think PMC can help with.

Through the testing process I didn't find I did anything especially better in terms of shots or concentration. What I did do better however was the ability to blow off a bad shot, regroup and play a good shot the next swing. That's not happening now. Fingers crossed that it works as well the 2nd time that it did the first.

I find myself having zero desire to use it. I find the quirks in some of the games too annoying and others are just plain boring.

The breathing exercise game which helps you time your breaths is the only thing I found useful for focus, but you can get that for a lot cheaper than this game.

Archived