TESTERS WANTED! ×

Big brands vs DTC irons.... Best choices?

Steven Senft

I have been searching for the most "responsible" and "real" answers, but the internet can be a dark place, so let's have the conversation here.

When you are in the market for a new set of irons, would you consider DTC brands (Takomo, Caley, Haywood, RAM, PXG, etc.) or just the "big brands" (Titleist, Mizuno, Taylormade, etc.)? 

Also, reading through some of the material I found, DTC brands all come from the same "factory"? Haywood, RAM, Caley and Takomo sets look identical... any ideas as to which one you would go for?

Thanks!

Steven Senft

It's a bit of a cop out answer, but... it depends.

I like brands that I can try out first if possible. Whether it's a "try before you buy" demo program from a DTC or hitting a name brand OEM in a bay at a store, I don't always like buying something before trying. There are caveats to that rule for me, like W/S irons and Callaway drivers which always seem to work for me no matter what. But I'd consider a DTC brand if I could try them out first and the price was right, however my own personal inclination would probably be the known OEM first and foremost.

As far as sourcing - I do think there are a few variations on factories, but many of them from what I understand do come from a limited number of sources. I'd probably opt for a brand that has a track record of customer support, public communication with customers, etc. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

45 minutes ago, Steven Senft said:

I have been searching for the most "responsible" and "real" answers, but the internet can be a dark place, so let's have the conversation here.

When you are in the market for a new set of irons, would you consider DTC brands (Takomo, Caley, Haywood, RAM, PXG, etc.) or just the "big brands" (Titleist, Mizuno, Taylormade, etc.)? 

Also, reading through some of the material I found, DTC brands all come from the same "factory"? Haywood, RAM, Caley and Takomo sets look identical... any ideas as to which one you would go for?

The DTC brands that I have tried, I have been impressed by. Especially in the world of irons which have some tech in them but not nearly the amount that it is woods. If you want a really "techy" iron then that is still the world of the major OEMs. But if you are concerned about build quality, I haven't seen a major dropoff with DTCs so far. When I tested irons out a few years ago these were the brands/models I tried off real grass using trackman over 4 different range sessions
Mizuno JPX Tour, MP20 MMC
Cobra MIM Tour
[DTC] Ben Hogan PTxPro
[DTC] Sub 70 639 CB
Titleist T100S
Callaway Apex Pro
[DTC] New Level 902, MODB-1
Taylor Made P770

I did not see a significant difference in performance, feel or build quality with the DTCs vs the Major OEMs. In fact, I choose a DTC as my winner (and I was price agnostic at the time). DTC brands do not all come from the same factory. What I think you mean to say is that SOME DTC brands buy certain molds and blanks and they do finishing/milling work on their own once it gets to the US. That may be the case for some but I can tell you that Ben Hogan did their own forgings. I would assume PXG (also a DTC) makes their own forgings/castings as well. The main challenge with DTC brands is that without a demo program, it can be hard to test out their products. 

So what DTC brands do I like these days? Well Ben Hogan is out of business (again). New Level has gotten significantly more expensive without any real improvement in their product so they are out. Personally, I can recommend the quality of Sub 70 and Haywood. PXG seems to make quality products I just don't care for their aesthetic or marketing and their irons tend to have a high COG which is hard for a sweeper to hit. Personally the next DTC I am going to try out is actually a component company and that is Maltby (sold through Golfworks). People seem to really like their new TS3 irons. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

1 hour ago, Steven Senft said:

Also, reading through some of the material I found, DTC brands all come from the same "factory"? Haywood, RAM, Caley and Takomo sets look identical... any ideas as to which one you would go for?!

Having hit a lot of clubs as part of most wanted testing, I would say the quality of DTC is equivalent to major OEM.  Consideration for purchase has a lot of factors to consider.   If purchase cost is a consideration, then go DTC.  If fitting is a consideration it is easier to do major OEM, but DTC does provide options.   If resale value is a consideration, then go major OEM.   

some DTC brands leverage generic models and then tweak to what they want so you could say many come from the same “factory”. PXG, for example, does their own thing.   the other consideration is shaft options and what shafts are offered if you want a full build, some DTC sell head only so you can pick your own shaft and do better fitting.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

53 minutes ago, vandyland said:

The DTC brands that I have tried, I have been impressed by. Especially in the world of irons which have some tech in them but not nearly the amount that it is woods. If you want a really "techy" iron then that is still the world of the major OEMs. But if you are concerned about build quality, I haven't seen a major dropoff with DTCs so far. When I tested irons out a few years ago these were the brands/models I tried off real grass using trackman over 4 different range sessions
Mizuno JPX Tour, MP20 MMC
Cobra MIM Tour
[DTC] Ben Hogan PTxPro
[DTC] Sub 70 639 CB
Titleist T100S
Callaway Apex Pro
[DTC] New Level 902, MODB-1
Taylor Made P770

I did not see a significant difference in performance, feel or build quality with the DTCs vs the Major OEMs. In fact, I choose a DTC as my winner (and I was price agnostic at the time). DTC brands do not all come from the same factory. What I think you mean to say is that SOME DTC brands buy certain molds and blanks and they do finishing/milling work on their own once it gets to the US. That may be the case for some but I can tell you that Ben Hogan did their own forgings. I would assume PXG (also a DTC) makes their own forgings/castings as well. The main challenge with DTC brands is that without a demo program, it can be hard to test out their products. 

So what DTC brands do I like these days? Well Ben Hogan is out of business (again). New Level has gotten significantly more expensive without any real improvement in their product so they are out. Personally, I can recommend the quality of Sub 70 and Haywood. PXG seems to make quality products I just don't care for their aesthetic or marketing and their irons tend to have a high COG which is hard for a sweeper to hit. Personally the next DTC I am going to try out is actually a component company and that is Maltby (sold through Golfworks). People seem to really like their new TS3 irons. 

I have the TS-3 irons and they are awesome.  Forced Tour Edge C721's out of my bag.

Benefit of Maltby is you can order one iron, built to a specific spec to try out.

• Tour Edge C722 Driver
  • Adams Redline Titanium 5w
  • Tour Edge C721 irons 4 - PW
  • Cleveland CBX2 48 degree wedge
  • Maltby M-Series 52 & 56 wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11s putter

I've been a big fan of DTC brands. Have no concerns with quality or anything like that. 

While I'm not using my Sub70s now it isn't due to their performance, but my own ability. They are a great set and would highly recommend. 

If you want to save a few and still get a good to great value then go for it.

I do have a thought about why many of those companies look similar, but can't confirm so for now I'll just keep it to myself!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

You know how I stand on this looking at my club list - previously, I had 3 Hogan wedges in the bag, and was prepared to go that way but then Sub 70 was still  2/3 the cost with similar quality, and then of course Hogan went bust.  So I'm happy with my choice

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

I've recently switched from the 'Big Brand' irons & putters to DTC, and I couldn't be happier so far. Most recently switched to this set of Maltby TS-3 Forged irons (Kuro Kage shafts) (https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts-3-forged-iron-pak-mca-kuro-kage-black-2nd-gen/p/pma0340hbp/). The irons are awesome and feel incredible, not to mention I didn't lose any distance or forgiveness compared to my PXG 0211DC irons, which was a nice surprise.

Also, switched from a Ping putter to a Maltby Pure-Track PTM-5 putter with the heavy SS shaft (https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-pure-track-ptm-5-putter-pure-track-ss-shaft/p/pma0330pt/). It's a forged milled putter for a very reasonable price, and I really love the extra counterbalanced weight in the shaft. I have the TSW DRM Forged wedges as well (https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-tsw-drm-forged-wedge-pak/p/pma0332/) and they are also top-notch quality.

That's my experience so far, and it's all been positive. I'm curious about other DTC brands (Sub 70, PXG, Takomo, etc.) and I keep an eye on what's coming out so I know my options when I look for a new club(s). Haven't tried any woods or hybrids yet, but I know I will, likely next time I need one. Driver will be my last hold out I'm sure. Thanks for the info everyone!

PMA0340HBP__62415.jpg.787016a4677a55f626be50356b89b104.jpg

CMS⛳

I don't want to take up too much time on here but I thought a lot about that as I just purchased clubs in the fall.  To cut to the end, I ended up purchasing Sub70 irons and I have loved them and have purchased additional clubs from them after my initial purchase.  Here is the process I went through when debating the same thing. 

If you look on the Sub70 feed you will see a lot of talk about how people chose them and I am on there a lot talking about my experience and why I chose Sub70. For me it was mainly about cost.  I love the Mizuno JPX923's and really wanted them but I couldn't justify the price.  I am also a big Ping fan and had been looking at their irons, but I ran into the same issue on price. So I started looking at used clubs but I couldn't get comfortable going that route especially since I 6'3" and need extended clubs that are more upright with midsize grips.  To get the right clubs for me I either have to make customizations after purchase which take away some of the savings of used or I have to be very patient and diligent in hopes to find the right set.  Plus once I knew what shafts were best for me that made the search even more difficult.  I found out the best shafts for me at the PGA Tour Superstore when I was considering the Mizuno's, the Mizuno shaft fitter works really well.

I then started looking at the DTC brands thanks to MGS.  I started with New Level as they are in Scottsdale and not too far from me, maybe a good option. I also looked at Takomo, Sub70 and PXG.  What it came down to was the level of service they provided and how willing they were to stand behind their product.  New Level lets you purchase a discounted 7 iron to test, PXG has their stores to go to but you have to pay for a fitting to hit them.  Takomo requires you to purchase the clubs, then hit the 7 iron to make sure you like them. I also looked at what happened after the purchase; PXG you can return but you pay shipping and a 10% restocking last I looked, New Level wouldn't take them back on custom clubs.  Takomo allows you to hit the 7 and if you don't like them you can then return them unless they were custom and then they can't be returned.  That made me nervous about PXG, New Level and Takomo, I don't have the money to mess up.  During this I was also looking at Sub70. You pay $120, demo a 6 and 9 iron in the head and stiffness you want and when done send them back and the net cost is $20, they refund the $100 that was a security deposit. Similar for wedges, woods, and hybrids.  Then if you like them you can custom order your clubs and you have 60 days, no questions asked to return your clubs, even with customization though you will have to pay to ship them back. That is what sold me.  At the same time I was looking at online reviews both from individuals and companies like MyGolfSpy to make sure I felt comfortable and ultimately I ordered a set of irons, 5-PW.  I love the way they feel. I then ordered a 4 wood, a 4 driving iron, an A wedge and a sand wedge.  I have also considered a hybrid and putter.  I would never have known about Sub70 if it weren't for MGS and I am grateful for their independent reviews and testing.

So I fully understand your concern but this is what I did to overcome my hesitation and I am happy I did.  The other thing is that if for some reason I get tired of them and I want something else in a couple of years, I didn't spend a ton on these so it makes it easier to sell and move on to another set.  

To your point about where they are manufactured and look, I have had the same question as the 699's I am playing look similar to the Takomo 101's and Haywood Signatures.  It wouldn't surprise me if they are sharing a factory and the R&D but as long as the product is good that helps keep the costs down.  I don't believe that is the case for all of the Sub70's as some of their players irons look like nothing I have seen anywhere else.  

As is noted above, I could go on for a long time about this and how much of a Sub70 fan I am now; great clubs, great price and even better service, and there are other good options out there.  If you want to know more about what I did I am happy to share it.

Good luck.

Driver      PXGLogo.png.1340f112fc949f428cfc644109898c61.png           0211    2021 10.5 - Project X Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0 Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            4W        949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
                PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       699 Pro - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                MizunoLogoBlue.png.d31312b724dab9151820c2d97b393879.png              LW        S23 Satin Chrome 60.06 X Grind - Project X LZ Black
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg             L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black
Glove   RedRoosterLogo.png.8ab7e5022e0052c04f2a8a208b191ceb.png

I'm currently considering upgrading my irons from the original TaylorMade P790s - not because there is anything wrong with them, but they were off the rack and I likely need to have longer shafts as i'm 6'2" - I live less than an hour away from Sub 70 and am considering going in for a fitting at their HQ and then save that data and compare the numbers to other clubs like the newest P790s and Mizuno Pro 225s/JPX 923's

WITB 2023

D TaylorMade SIM Max

3W TaylorMade M6

5W TaylorMade SIM

4-P TaylorMade P790 (2017)

50, 54, 58 Cleveland Zipcore

P Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball

6 minutes ago, cs83208 said:

I've recently switched from the 'Big Brand' irons & putters to DTC, and I couldn't be happier so far. Most recently switched to this set of Maltby TS-3 Forged irons (Kuro Kage shafts) (https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts-3-forged-iron-pak-mca-kuro-kage-black-2nd-gen/p/pma0340hbp/). The irons are awesome and feel incredible, not to mention I didn't lose any distance or forgiveness compared to my PXG 0211DC irons, which was a nice surprise.

Also, switched from a Ping putter to a Maltby Pure-Track PTM-5 putter with the heavy SS shaft (https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-pure-track-ptm-5-putter-pure-track-ss-shaft/p/pma0330pt/). It's a forged milled putter for a very reasonable price, and I really love the extra counterbalanced weight in the shaft. I have the TSW DRM Forged wedges as well (https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-tsw-drm-forged-wedge-pak/p/pma0332/) and they are also top-notch quality.

That's my experience so far, and it's all been positive. I'm curious about other DTC brands (Sub 70, PXG, Takomo, etc.) and I keep an eye on what's coming out so I know my options when I look for a new club(s). Haven't tried any woods or hybrids yet, but I know I will, likely next time I need one. Driver will be my last hold out I'm sure. Thanks for the info everyone!

PMA0340HBP__62415.jpg.787016a4677a55f626be50356b89b104.jpg

Thanks for your feedback. I enjoy hearing about the other DTC brands and to continue learning about all the options available.  Those look great and so do some of their other options. I really like that you can get just the heads so you can really save money if you know what you are doing in club building.  

I went the Sub70 route and have been really happy because I could customize the build without adding much to the cost depending on the upgrades.  I do have a Sub70 4 wood and have demoed a hybrid and all have been very good. I have also read really good things about their drivers but since my current driver is still so new I can't justify even demoing a Sub70, if I demo I might buy.

Driver      PXGLogo.png.1340f112fc949f428cfc644109898c61.png           0211    2021 10.5 - Project X Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0 Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            4W        949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
                PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       699 Pro - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                MizunoLogoBlue.png.d31312b724dab9151820c2d97b393879.png              LW        S23 Satin Chrome 60.06 X Grind - Project X LZ Black
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg             L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black

Just now, JLTS87 said:

I'm currently considering upgrading my irons from the original TaylorMade P790s - not because there is anything wrong with them, but they were off the rack and I likely need to have longer shafts as i'm 6'2" - I live less than an hour away from Sub 70 and am considering going in for a fitting at their HQ and then save that data and compare the numbers to other clubs like the newest P790s and Mizuno Pro 225s/JPX 923's

I would highly recommend going to Sub70 and trying them out, but only if you could really see yourself purchasing their product.  I have heard they take great care of those that come in for a fitting and that it is a great experience. I wish I could have but I am too far away.  If you just want data then I would go for a fitting at a PGA Tour Superstore or somewhere like that. You can get a lot of the data from their standard process when they hook up the Mizuno shaft analyzer and begin talking about clubs and then if you really want detailed info you can pay for a fitting there. I completely understand the need for custom clubs and not off the rack since I am 6'3", it makes a difference.

The MGS forum as a whole really put my mind at ease when looking at DTC brands. I have not made a full purchase yet, but I am in the middle of a demo period with Sub70 clubs and loving not only the clubs but the support! Roughly a week after receiving the clubs, I received an email to ask how things were going and then was able to call and talk to someone to discuss what I was seeing both on the range and on the course with the demo clubs.

The demo program and return policy of Sub70 is really putting my mind at ease as I move closer and closer to make a purchase.

And in all honesty, I feel like my bag might look alot like @scubahoops and have a majority of Sub70 when my bag overhaul is all said and done.

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

JLT, if you go to St a more to get a fitting session with Sub 70, I think you will be impressed and get great info - heck, you may not leave there without a new set of clubs!

I’ve only dealt with Sub 70 out of the DTC brands and am a big fan. I can save a little money and still get high quality clubs. The service they give is always great. Whether I’m buying a set of irons or just a single club they show the same level of commitment to making sure I’m satisfied with my purchase.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Another voice echoing sub70 as the only dtc I've dabbled with. Utility iron led to the full 699 5-PW.

20230525_120333.jpg.4aa43d8ad50bb78928204c507387a9bc.jpg

Now looking at Pro FW and JB wedge.

They gave me a free ball mark with a small purchase, and a free hat when I got my irons from their P.O. section.

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

Rick, don't give away the secret about the extra perks!😀

8 minutes ago, Randall Robbins said:

Rick, don't give away the secret about the extra perks!😀

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

On 6/2/2023 at 10:24 PM, richk9holes said:

Can't hold it in, spilling the beans. They have an AI that figures out the swaggiest swag to send you, called the SwaGPT powered by the Sub70.7000 supercomputer.

I will be 100% honest, seeing those new Adams clubs that are DTC (and now have customization options too) would definitely have me considering them. Especially with their 60 day risk-free trial period.

@russtopherb I didn't notice customizing options. The site I went to only has 7 products and all stock.

1 minute ago, richk9holes said:

@russtopherb I didn't notice customizing options. The site I went to only has 7 products and all stock.

You can customize shaft brand & length, set makeup, etc. Is it the same as going to Club Champion with a million options? No. Is it better than buying a boxed set at Dicks? Absolutely. 

I have not yet taken the plunge on an entire kit, but I am testing a 7 iron Maltby TS3 that I had built to my specs by Golfworks.  It arrived quickly, exactly as ordered, and they even called to discuss swing weight with me to ensure I was getting what I wanted before building it out.  After a bad spring fitting, I am on my second iron set this season (Miura CB-57s I acquired from FB MP), and results are mostly positive thus far.  That said, the TS3 is a touch longer and has slightly better dispersion and accuracy than my current gamer CB-57.  I really, really don't want to get a third set of irons this year, so I am giving the CB-57s plenty of time to work out.  But I can say unequivocally that I am extremely impressed by the TS3 iron, and if the CB-57s do not work out for me, I will be ordering the TS3 in a complete set. They are just that good.  Excellent turf interaction and soft feel.  Marvelous.  If they had a big brand name on them I think they would be a prominent bestseller.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (UST Mimaya MP5 40-L Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

6 hours ago, russtopherb said:

You can customize shaft brand & length, set makeup, etc. Is it the same as going to Club Champion with a million options? No. Is it better than buying a boxed set at Dicks? Absolutely. 

I might be looking at a different site. I'm just wondering bc I did this investigation weeks ago when golf now sent me a 20% off code to use at Adamsgolf.com. I see only stock option. Choose hand, clubhead, shaft flex. Add to cart. I don't think I'm missing the options you talk about, but you might be looking at a different site?

5 minutes ago, richk9holes said:

I might be looking at a different site. I'm just wondering bc I did this investigation weeks ago when golf now sent me a 20% off code to use at Adamsgolf.com. I see only stock option. Choose hand, clubhead, shaft flex. Add to cart. I don't think I'm missing the options you talk about, but you might be looking at a different site?

I don't know that this was there the first time I went to the site but there is now. You can make some customizations, it is very limited but you can make changes and hopefully they fit within what you need.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 164429.jpg

Ok, thanks @scubahoops makes sense now. The irons are the one thing I didn't look at. 

I hope they add content to their product line, my impression was very stock, very bare options. I have high hopes, love the company.

29 minutes ago, richk9holes said:

Ok, thanks @scubahoops makes sense now. The irons are the one thing I didn't look at. 

I hope they add content to their product line, my impression was very stock, very bare options. I have high hopes, love the company.

I saw the same thing in the Drivers and really when you come down to it, those are the two most important items most people will want to customize. 

1 minute ago, scubahoops said:

I saw the same thing in the Drivers and really when you come down to it, those are the two most important items most people will want to customize. 

People might want more than 2 putter options methinks but hey we all have our kinks. 

My hazy memory is clearing up now. With alternating iron sets in play already and 3 drivers I can't decide which is better, I definitely didn't look at their selection of either of those categories to use my 20% off. 

It went down like: Hmm $160 5w...5w out of stock. What's the hybrid look like? Eh. Not my thing. Could force a 3h into my bag but helium shaft, eh. Putters look cool, like the face but only 2 models? Wedges look a bit chunky too cavity back look like overpriced Tour Edge. 

As many have stated most brands have good quality and good products. These are not cheap knock offs of yesteryear. I am a fan of Maltby due to many reasons but love being able to purchase individual options and test out what you want for relatively cheap.  I use a Ben Hogan (RIP) and have tested Sub 70. 

Good luck with your search.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver