Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Iron Designations

pastorscott

Not sure what you question is asking.

Since irons are to hit the ball a certain distance I’ll answer from that perspective. you need the iron that goes whatever distance you are trying to cover with the shot.

What iron that is will vary by person as not everyone hits the same iron the same distance along with different designs irons with the same number on the bottom due to loft and how a person swings will vary in distance.

As far as what one you specifically need for a certain distance nobody here can tell you because we don’t know how far you hit your irons, you can figure this out on the driving range or use averages from time on the course 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, pastorscott said:

Newbie here and I’m trying to figure out irons. Which iron for what on the course? 

Welcome! And glad you posted a question on the Forum!

I will start by saying a lot of this depends on each individual and their abilities, however I will try and provide a outline. 

First of all irons are meant to go certain distances. Most golfers try to have a 10ish yard gap between clubs. So if you have a 5 iron and it goes 170 yards, you would hope that your 6 iron goes 160, 7 goes 150, 8 goes 140 and so on. There are two numbers for distances. Carry and total - Carry is usually the most important as it tells you how far it goes in the air!

Short irons are usually used around the greens and can be used a variety of ways and longer irons are often used hitting to get to the green. 

A lot of this can be experimented on and tried. 

The higher the number or letter (PW and 9 for example) fly high, but dont go very far. The lower numbered will be irons that go further, but maybe not as high and are usually more difficult to hit as the shafts are longer. 

Hope that helps a bit and of course if you have more questions just ask!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have a shaft I need to identify.  The markings are UCBF71S-40 8 or B.  It is from a Cobra King F7 one length iron.  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Mike Fox

Facilities Engineer/Maintenance Manager

Golf League Commissioner

11 minutes ago, mikelj70 said:

I have a shaft I need to identify.  The markings are UCBF71S-40 8 or B.  It is from a Cobra King F7 one length iron.  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Most likely it is the stock shaft; especially due to the nuances of one length clubs, which was a  109 gram “Made For” True Temper KING F7 shaft

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

57 minutes ago, mikelj70 said:

Thanks

Post a picture of the shaft label

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, mikelj70 said:

20230605_183940.jpg

Is there no actual label/bad on the shaft that states true temper, px, kbs, etc?

This is all that is on it.  I have read that it was originally made by True Temper for Cobra.  I need to replace it due to it being bent, just dont know what weight or actual flex it is.  It says stiff, but when I measure it, it actually read between regular and senior.

Mike Fox

Facilities Engineer/Maintenance Manager

Golf League Commissioner

4 minutes ago, mikelj70 said:

This is all that is on it.  I have read that it was originally made by True Temper for Cobra.  I need to replace it due to it being bent, just dont know what weight or actual flex it is.  It says stiff, but when I measure it, it actually read between regular and senior.

It looks that way. Only way to confirm is reach out to cobra or true temper for more details. The problem is finding a replacement shaft probably won’t be easy. True temper more than likely won’t have any inventory and the shaft was made for that club. Same with cobra. They aren’t likely to have any inventory from a club that old. 

You will either need to find a club on eBay or at a place like 2nd swing to get either the shaft and pull it or use the club you buy with the shaft in it