TESTERS WANTED! ×

• SPY VIP

I have found that it's nice to have a variety of bounce options for different types of sand. The sand in the bunkers here in Myrtle does not work with high bounce, for me. I need the 4* bounce on my 60* to get under the ball.

So you are not digging enough with the high bounce? Is the sand shallow?

I'm the same way, I hate to putt from the fringe or fairway. I don't like to have the ball rolling except on the putting surface - too much unpredictability in rolling it elsewhere.

Have you tried the putt with the hybrid swing. I had an instructor show me this. Shaft almost straight up and down, choke down and putt. Was good when he helped me, but I need to practice more. little hop then lost of roll to the hole.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried the putt with the hybrid swing. I had an instructor show me this. Shaft almost straight up and down, choke down and putt. Was good when he helped me, but I need to practice more. little hop then lost of roll to the hole.

Yeah, I'm familiar with this technique, but it's not something I practice. I can certainly appreciate the value of it, especially for someone who doesn't have the chance to practice chipping too much, but I like chipping and I feel that it's a strength in my game. One situation where I do like this technique is when the ball is backed up against the collar.

Do you use this technique much on the course? What situations do you find it most useful for?

One of the gentlemen I played with today used his putter out of a bunker. The only other person I've seen do this is my father in law. Anyone else an advocate of using the flatstick from the beach?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

One of the gentlemen I played with today used his putter out of a bunker. The only other person I've seen do this is my father in law. Anyone else an advocate of using the flatstick from the beach?

Can you give me a little more here, i just had a wtf moment...

Volvo Intorqueo

I have when I had a less expensive putter...

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I have when I had a less expensive putter...

Hahaha...yeah, I would not be using my Byron for this technique. My father in law uses an old old Odyssey, so he doesn't care. I don't see why this technique wouldn't work with a hybrid though. A merger of the two most recently discussed techniques!

I played a gutsy shot when I was playing with friends in hs. I hit a slap shot with my hybrid, killed it with a bunker and it rolled up onto the green.

Another play I did recently, I was 4-5 feet off the green on the collar. I turned my putter on the side so the toe was pointing towards the green. I hit it with a little more force than a normal putt and I made it. I think the total shot was a little over 10 feet.

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I played a gutsy shot when I was playing with friends in hs. I hit a slap shot with my hybrid, killed it with a bunker and it rolled up onto the green.

Another play I did recently, I was 4-5 feet off the green on the collar. I turned my putter on the side so the toe was pointing towards the green. I hit it with a little more force than a normal putt and I made it. I think the total shot was a little over 10 feet.

Were these shots just for fun or was there a need for them given the situation you were in?

The hybrid was a shot just to mess around. The putter was intentional. The collar can be kind of scraggly and can catch the putter when you try to use it. But if you turn it so its just the toe, you contact the ball and have a better chance of getting it close.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

The hybrid was a shot just to mess around. The putter was intentional. The collar can be kind of scraggly and can catch the putter when you try to use it. But if you turn it so its just the toe, you contact the ball and have a better chance of getting it close.

Cool. I'd heard of using the putter toe when the ball is up against the collar, but I hadn't heard of using it on the fringe to keep the putter from catching. I'll have to give this a shot tomorrow on the putting green.

Yeah, I was taught to use it when it was against the collar, but it still works from the short grass.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

The bunker that he was in had no lip, so he just putted right out. The sand was very tightly packed, so there was no problem with the ball not rolling well.

That makes more sense. I was thinking pot bunker...

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Hitting your putter out of the pot bunker only comes into play when you've broken all your other clubs...or had them chomped by a gator (3 on the course today!).

I prefer seeing deer and turkeys.

Vokey was strong on the range for me, I may run it out on sunday. not real comfortable with range yet though.

prob more practice first.

Volvo Intorqueo

I prefer seeing deer and turkeys.

Vokey was strong on the range for me, I may run it out on sunday. not real comfortable with range yet though.

prob more practice first.

I prefer any animal that doesn't force me to aim way the hell away from it, though it was kinda cool to see them. When I get home I'll post some pics.

If its possible, you could bring the Vokey as your 15th club and just hit a few practice shots with it on the course to see if it would've helped. Perhaps your group has some serious money going, though, and practicing on the course would DQ you.

• SPY VIP

I prefer any animal that doesn't force me to aim way the hell away from it, though it was kinda cool to see them. When I get home I'll post some pics.

If its possible, you could bring the Vokey as your 15th club and just hit a few practice shots with it on the course to see if it would've helped. Perhaps your group has some serious money going, though, and practicing on the course would DQ you.

That is a good idea. Was just going to leave the 2H home and bring it to mess around here and there. Nothing serious about this group that I am playing with and that sometimes is perfect.

Volvo Intorqueo

That is a good idea. Was just going to leave the 2H home and bring it to mess around here and there. Nothing serious about this group that I am playing with and that sometimes is perfect.

That is great. The guys we got paired up with today were perfect - good level of play, good temperament, fun to talk to. And the bonus is that we're playing with them again tomorrow.

• SPY VIP

That is great. The guys we got paired up with today were perfect - good level of play, good temperament, fun to talk to. And the bonus is that we're playing with them again tomorrow.

That is a huge plus. I bad pairing could really sour some of the fun with your dad.

Volvo Intorqueo

That is a huge plus. I bad pairing could really sour some of the fun with your dad.

I'd like to think that no pairing could ruin our time, we've both got pretty resilient (? not quite right) personalities, but it's nice to be genuinely happy with your group. 5 hours can be a long time otherwise.

• SPY VIP

Do any of you guys ever chip with hybrids? I use a hybrid if I have to curve one out of the woods, but not around the greens.

I use the 2H from under the trees. Usually that is when I make pure contact and the ball goes UP anyhow. Silly swing.

Father-in-law is the master of the driver from under the trees.

Volvo Intorqueo

Was this a fairway lie? Is this a situation where a hybrid as a putter would also be possible.

It was a fairway lie. I don't like to use a hybrid, as it is a little hard to judge distance. I have some come off of the hybrid much hotter than intended. Putter seems to be the same. For me.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Hey Nic since this is the short game section and I have wedge issues...

What do you think is the most common bounce characteristics for a 60/56/52 or 58/54/50 set-up?

Volvo Intorqueo

What do you think is the most common bounce characteristics for a 60/56/52 or 58/54/50 set-up?

Really depends on your swing, and typical playing conditions, as well as how you intend to use the wedges.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Really depends on your swing, and typical playing conditions, as well as how you intend to use the wedges.

I was just thinking the cleveland dot system.

from what i have read it is a 1 dot 60, 2 dot 56 and 2 dot 52. Obviously the set-up is based on usage, I just wondered if there was a sales trend at your shop.

Volvo Intorqueo

Do any of you guys ever chip with hybrids? I use a hybrid if I have to curve one out of the woods, but not around the greens.

I've done it but it's a shot I wouldn't use that often, probably not even once a round, and the way the ball jumps off the face I find it difficult to get a feel for this shot.

Semper Fi

My Club

I was just thinking the cleveland dot system.

from what i have read it is a 1 dot 60, 2 dot 56 and 2 dot 52. Obviously the set-up is based on usage, I just wondered if there was a sales trend at your shop.

We do sell a lot more low bounce/high lofted wedges than hi/hi combos. I'm not sure that it's best for everyone, but If that is what the consumer wants, that is what they get.

I will use putter from as far away as 60 yards.

I was playing Pacific Dunes, and had 60 left to a front pin. The lie was so tight, that I was sure that if I tried to pitch it, it would end up badly. No way for me to judge a chip, because I never practice, so.... I putted it. Ended up 4 feet, and payed it off. Unsusal for me to make a putt, but it goes to show that there is no right way to do things.

Wow, do you practice that shot? Seems to me that putting over that kind of distance would bring a lot of obstacles into play between you and the ball - uneven ground, sprinkler heads, divot marks, grain, etc.

I would opt instead to use a hybrid. Land it as close to the green to avoid as much as of the crap in between as possible and let it roll on up to the hole.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Yeah, I'm familiar with this technique, but it's not something I practice. I can certainly appreciate the value of it, especially for someone who doesn't have the chance to practice chipping too much, but I like chipping and I feel that it's a strength in my game. One situation where I do like this technique is when the ball is backed up against the collar.

Do you use this technique much on the course? What situations do you find it most useful for?

Wow. I'm not a great bunker player but it would take a lot of frustration with that shot to resort to using a putter. LOL.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Read this: Understanding your Wedges

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived