Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Wow, do you practice that shot? Seems to me that putting over that kind of distance would bring a lot of obstacles into play between you and the ball - uneven ground, sprinkler heads, divot marks, grain, etc.

I would opt instead to use a hybrid. Land it as close to the green to avoid as much as of the crap in between as possible and let it roll on up to the hole.

At this particular course, the fairways are cut really tight, and there is practically no difference between fw and green. Almost like playing in Scotland. The ball just rolls and rolls. I find it easier to judge than a chip or pitch.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the 2H from under the trees. Usually that is when I make pure contact and the ball goes UP anyhow. Silly swing.

Father-in-law is the master of the driver from under the trees.

It was a fairway lie. I don't like to use a hybrid, as it is a little hard to judge distance. I have some come off of the hybrid much hotter than intended. Putter seems to be the same. For me.

Out of the trees is the only time I use my hybrid for chip shots, otherwise, like Nic said, it's tough to judge distance.

• SPY VIP

At this particular course, the fairways are cut really tight, and there is practically no difference between fw and green. Almost like playing in Scotland. The ball just rolls and rolls. I find it easier to judge than a chip or pitch.

What about a "normal" fairway? How far back do you extend putter range, assuming middle pin?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I have no idea how I play any of those shots. I'll only use either my 56 or 60. Rarely anything else. I'm probably the least technical golfer on the planet. I've only ever had 1 lesson. Don't practice. Just learn by playing. I tend to play a lot of dead hand stuff. I can be yards off the green and hit a 60 that won't get more than 2 feet off the ground, bounce twice and stop dead. Yet hit that same club, length over trees. It just depends on the situation.

As for when people say you should always chip with the least loft possible, I call BS. I don't have time to teach myself to chip with 7 different clubs, judging run out etc. Although I will admit to chipping with a fairway wood on occasion.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I'd like to think that no pairing could ruin our time, we've both got pretty resilient (? not quite right) personalities, but it's nice to be genuinely happy with your group. 5 hours can be a long time otherwise.

5 hours man, I've never had a 5 round. I get all wound up if they go over 4;15 down here.

I've done it but it's a shot I wouldn't use that often, probably not even once a round, and the way the ball jumps off the face I find it difficult to get a feel for this shot.

Try holding it like you hold your putter and lime it up off the toe. It doesn't tend to 'jump' off the face as much then.

As for when people say you should always chip with the least loft possible, I call BS. I don't have time to teach myself to chip with 7 different clubs, judging run out etc. Although I will admit to chipping with a fairway wood on occasion.

I'm the same way, one club gets it done for me.

Do any of you guys ever chip with hybrids? I use a hybrid if I have to curve one out of the woods, but not around the greens.

I think it's a great shot if you practice it. If not - eh. Like nic said, the ball really comes off much hotter than a putter.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Hey Nic since this is the short game section and I have wedge issues...

What do you think is the most common bounce characteristics for a 60/56/52 or 58/54/50 set-up?

FWIW, my 52* is 8* bounce, 56* is 14* bounce, and my 60* is 4* bounce. I like the variety because some sand needs a high bounce wedge and some sand needs low bounce.

I have no idea how I play any of those shots. I'll only use either my 56 or 60. Rarely anything else. I'm probably the least technical golfer on the planet. I've only ever had 1 lesson. Don't practice. Just learn by playing. I tend to play a lot of dead hand stuff. I can be yards off the green and hit a 60 that won't get more than 2 feet off the ground, bounce twice and stop dead. Yet hit that same club, length over trees. It just depends on the situation.

My teacher taught me to use the same chipping technique, land the ball about a yard onto the green, and let it run to the hole. If the hole is close to the edge, use a how lofted club, if it needs to roll more, then use a low lofted club like a 3I.

5 hours man, I've never had a 5 round. I get all wound up if they go over 4;15 down here.

Not trying to threadjack my own thread, but I've never understood people being upset about being on a golf course for more time. We spend all week waiting to play on Sunday, then we get upset about being there longer? I'm happy to be out there all day.

Yeah, makes sense. We don't have many of those here among the corn fields of Illinois. LOL.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I'm the same way, one club gets it done for me.

You guys must not have the same kind of sloping greens and trees/shrubs/mounds/etc. around greens that we do.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

What was your practice like to get to this state? I am thinking that one club to do all of this would be great. Less thinking and decisions to make.

Volvo Intorqueo

I don't practice, period, ever. I do play a lot though. Maybe 5 rounds a week in summer. If i onlyhave time for e afew holes. I'll just play 3 balls. And just hit 2-3 chips after I walk off every green. Course is normally deserted after work.

You guys must not have the same kind of sloping greens and trees/shrubs/mounds/etc. around greens that we do.

Can you explain this a bit? Are you of the opinion that 1 club can't hit enough shots to deal with slopes, mounds, and shrubs? Not necessarily disagreeing, just wanting to understand what you're saying.

IM trying something new this year, i dropped the 54 in favor of a 51/58 because i wanted the 5wood back in the bag.

What i used to do is the Pelz clock type swing, just making sure that you accelerate. Control the distances with the length of your backswing. Similar to putting, at least thats what i try to do.

My shot of 50 yards is a 730 58 degree wedge, and hope it spins like heck. Using the clock method is not hard IMO, as long as you trust it.. But, like the rest of the game of golf, trust is not that easy to come by.

as for chips, its usually a 58 unless there is a ton of room between myself and the pin, in which case i need to use my 51. for some reason, 20 -30 yard chips and i dont get along when using my 58. Besides, you dont always need the fancy high soft landing shot. Rolling the ball will accomplish the same thing.

i wont hit the flopper unless i have to. To play it i play the ball forward and try to keep my hands "dead" as long as possible before releasing them, this works for me. It is probably not textbook, but being that i have never filmed a floadopalous i couldnt tell you. Thats just what i feel when i swing.

I just picked up a cally xtour PM grind, so hopefully that makes my 58 even more versatile.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

IM trying something new this year, i dropped the 54 in favor of a 51/58 because i wanted the 5wood back in the bag.

What i used to do is the Pelz clock type swing, just making sure that you accelerate. Control the distances with the length of your backswing. Similar to putting, at least thats what i try to do.

My shot of 50 yards is a 730 58 degree wedge, and hope it spins like heck. Using the clock method is not hard IMO, as long as you trust it.. But, like the rest of the game of golf, trust is not that easy to come by.

as for chips, its usually a 58 unless there is a ton of room between myself and the pin, in which case i need to use my 51. for some reason, 20 -30 yard chips and i dont get along when using my 58. Besides, you dont always need the fancy high soft landing shot. Rolling the ball will accomplish the same thing.

i wont hit the flopper unless i have to. To play it i play the ball forward and try to keep my hands "dead" as long as possible before releasing them, this works for me. It is probably not textbook, but being that i have never filmed a floadopalous i couldnt tell you. Thats just what i feel when i swing.

I just picked up a cally xtour PM grind, so hopefully that makes my 58 even more versatile.

So you went to 51/58 from what, 50-54-58?

Good information on the techniques, etc. It seems like the Pelz method is pretty popular around here. I'm right with you in terms of rolling the ball, with anything less than a half wedge I'm really not expecting/trying to make it drop and stop.

Can you explain this a bit? Are you of the opinion that 1 club can't hit enough shots to deal with slopes, mounds, and shrubs? Not necessarily disagreeing, just wanting to understand what you're saying.

Yes, you got it.

For instance, I played a par 3 the other day and flew the green onto a downhill slope to a tight flag with the green sloping away from me. Probably the toughest shot you could imagine other than I had a pretty decent lie and the ball was sitting up pretty good. I took my lob wedge, opened the face slightly, popped the ball straight up and landed it within a few feet of the hole. Anything other than a 60 degree (or higher lofted) wedge in that situation would have rolled out and I would have had a difficult time getting up and down. That is just one example.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I don't get it. We have a lot of trees, here, that's for sure.....

Sometimes you have to hit under trees my young friend. In that case, loft is not your friend. ;)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Sometimes you have to hit under trees my young friend. In that case, loft is not your friend. ;)

In that situation I deloft the club, put it back in my stance, close the face, and make a hook swing. I could use a different club but I like the consistency that using just 2 gives me. I could hit that shot with a SW but i would probably hit it too far.

Yes, you got it.

For instance, I played a par 3 the other day and flew the green onto a downhill slope to a tight flag with the green sloping away from me. Probably the toughest shot you could imagine other than I had a pretty decent lie and the ball was sitting up pretty good. I took my lob wedge, opened the face slightly, popped the ball straight up and landed it within a few feet of the hole. Anything other than a 60 degree (or higher lofted) wedge in that situation would have rolled out and I would have had a difficult time getting up and down. That is just one example.

In that situation I deloft the club, put it back in my stance, close the face, and make a hook swing. I could use a different club but I like the consistency that using just 2 gives me. I could hit that shot with a SW but i would probably hit it too far.

I see your point, Blaine, but I'm actually with jamo. Actually, I'm in the middle, I suppose. I play 2 clubs, PW and 60. I can keep that PW about as low as I need.

I see your point, Blaine, but I'm actually with jamo. Actually, I'm in the middle, I suppose. I play 2 clubs, PW and 60. I can keep that PW about as low as I need.

Well, to each to his own. If what you do works then obviously stick with it. I just like to keep it simple and let the club do the work.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Well, to each to his own. If what you do works then obviously stick with it. I just like to keep it simple and let the club do the work.

Now you say this. I added the 60* yesterday and got away from my simple norm with disastrous results.

:huh:

Volvo Intorqueo

So you went to 51/58 from what, 50-54-58?

Good information on the techniques, etc. It seems like the Pelz method is pretty popular around here. I'm right with you in terms of rolling the ball, with anything less than a half wedge I'm really not expecting/trying to make it drop and stop.

I had a 47 PW, 54 SW and 58LW. I went to the 51/58. This is still in the experimental stages. I really need a 51/52 that i can trust and im not 100 percent sure that the mizzy is going to cut the mustard. At first the leading edge dug, so i blunted it with my belt sander, actually looks pretty good. The verdict will be in soon when i hit more shots with it on the range.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

Now you say this. I added the 60* yesterday and got away from my simple norm with disastrous results.

:)

Didn't you read the fine print...

Results may vary.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I had a 47 PW, 54 SW and 58LW. I went to the 51/58. This is still in the experimental stages. I really need a 51/52 that i can trust and im not 100 percent sure that the mizzy is going to cut the mustard. At first the leading edge dug, so i blunted it with my belt sander, actually looks pretty good. The verdict will be in soon when i hit more shots with it on the range.

Cool. I love your willigness to hit your club on the belt sander. Have you done any grinding before or did you just have faith?

How many different shots do you have inside of 50 yards?

I like to play a low flying, higher spinning shot that will take one bounce and stop, I will usually use my 54* but sometimes the pitching wedge to keep it even lower. When needed, I will play a higher shot with my lob wedge, but I don't really like that shot since it is harder to control the distance and spin.

What technique do you use to play those shots?

I play the ball about two inches back in my stance and will cut off the finish at or below my waist to hit the lower shot. For the higher shot I will open my stance about twenty degrees and open the face of the wedge until it is facing the target and swing along my foot line to a over head finish holding off the release a bit.

What determines the kind of shot you play around the green?

If I have to clear a bunker to a pin that is close to the trouble I will hit the higher shot, if I have any room to work with, I will hit the lower shot.

What clubs do you use inside of 50 yards, and what impacts your club selection?

Mostly the 54* or PW for low shots, the 60* for the higher shot.

What do you like to see the ball do when it hits the green (do you like to get it rolling ASAP, throw it all the way to the hole, etc)?

I prefer one bounce and stop, but when it is a little softer out, I play it a few feet past the hole and let it back up a couple of feet.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

What do you like to see the ball do when it hits the green (do you like to get it rolling ASAP, throw it all the way to the hole, etc)?

I prefer one bounce and stop, but when it is a little softer out, I play it a few feet past the hole and let it back up a couple of feet.

I like more of a dead stop, much more dramatic. :angry:

Archived