The bunker that he was in had no lip, so he just putted right out. The sand was very tightly packed, so there was no problem with the ball not rolling well.

That makes more sense. I was thinking pot bunker...

That makes more sense. I was thinking pot bunker...

Hitting your putter out of the pot bunker only comes into play when you've broken all your other clubs...or had them chomped by a gator (3 on the course today!).

Hitting your putter out of the pot bunker only comes into play when you've broken all your other clubs...or had them chomped by a gator (3 on the course today!).

I prefer seeing deer and turkeys.

Vokey was strong on the range for me, I may run it out on sunday. not real comfortable with range yet though.

prob more practice first.

I prefer seeing deer and turkeys.

Vokey was strong on the range for me, I may run it out on sunday. not real comfortable with range yet though.

prob more practice first.

I prefer any animal that doesn't force me to aim way the hell away from it, though it was kinda cool to see them. When I get home I'll post some pics.

If its possible, you could bring the Vokey as your 15th club and just hit a few practice shots with it on the course to see if it would've helped. Perhaps your group has some serious money going, though, and practicing on the course would DQ you.

I prefer any animal that doesn't force me to aim way the hell away from it, though it was kinda cool to see them. When I get home I'll post some pics.

If its possible, you could bring the Vokey as your 15th club and just hit a few practice shots with it on the course to see if it would've helped. Perhaps your group has some serious money going, though, and practicing on the course would DQ you.

That is a good idea. Was just going to leave the 2H home and bring it to mess around here and there. Nothing serious about this group that I am playing with and that sometimes is perfect.

That is a good idea. Was just going to leave the 2H home and bring it to mess around here and there. Nothing serious about this group that I am playing with and that sometimes is perfect.

That is great. The guys we got paired up with today were perfect - good level of play, good temperament, fun to talk to. And the bonus is that we're playing with them again tomorrow.

That is great. The guys we got paired up with today were perfect - good level of play, good temperament, fun to talk to. And the bonus is that we're playing with them again tomorrow.

That is a huge plus. I bad pairing could really sour some of the fun with your dad.

That is a huge plus. I bad pairing could really sour some of the fun with your dad.

I'd like to think that no pairing could ruin our time, we've both got pretty resilient (? not quite right) personalities, but it's nice to be genuinely happy with your group. 5 hours can be a long time otherwise.

Do any of you guys ever chip with hybrids? I use a hybrid if I have to curve one out of the woods, but not around the greens.

Do any of you guys ever chip with hybrids? I use a hybrid if I have to curve one out of the woods, but not around the greens.

I use the 2H from under the trees. Usually that is when I make pure contact and the ball goes UP anyhow. Silly swing.

Father-in-law is the master of the driver from under the trees.

Was this a fairway lie? Is this a situation where a hybrid as a putter would also be possible.

It was a fairway lie. I don't like to use a hybrid, as it is a little hard to judge distance. I have some come off of the hybrid much hotter than intended. Putter seems to be the same. For me.

Hey Nic since this is the short game section and I have wedge issues...

What do you think is the most common bounce characteristics for a 60/56/52 or 58/54/50 set-up?

Hey Nic since this is the short game section and I have wedge issues...

What do you think is the most common bounce characteristics for a 60/56/52 or 58/54/50 set-up?

Really depends on your swing, and typical playing conditions, as well as how you intend to use the wedges.

Really depends on your swing, and typical playing conditions, as well as how you intend to use the wedges.

I was just thinking the cleveland dot system.

from what i have read it is a 1 dot 60, 2 dot 56 and 2 dot 52. Obviously the set-up is based on usage, I just wondered if there was a sales trend at your shop.

I've done it but it's a shot I wouldn't use that often, probably not even once a round, and the way the ball jumps off the face I find it difficult to get a feel for this shot.

I was just thinking the cleveland dot system.

from what i have read it is a 1 dot 60, 2 dot 56 and 2 dot 52. Obviously the set-up is based on usage, I just wondered if there was a sales trend at your shop.

We do sell a lot more low bounce/high lofted wedges than hi/hi combos. I'm not sure that it's best for everyone, but If that is what the consumer wants, that is what they get.

I will use putter from as far away as 60 yards.

I was playing Pacific Dunes, and had 60 left to a front pin. The lie was so tight, that I was sure that if I tried to pitch it, it would end up badly. No way for me to judge a chip, because I never practice, so.... I putted it. Ended up 4 feet, and payed it off. Unsusal for me to make a putt, but it goes to show that there is no right way to do things.

Wow, do you practice that shot? Seems to me that putting over that kind of distance would bring a lot of obstacles into play between you and the ball - uneven ground, sprinkler heads, divot marks, grain, etc.

I would opt instead to use a hybrid. Land it as close to the green to avoid as much as of the crap in between as possible and let it roll on up to the hole.

Yeah, I'm familiar with this technique, but it's not something I practice. I can certainly appreciate the value of it, especially for someone who doesn't have the chance to practice chipping too much, but I like chipping and I feel that it's a strength in my game. One situation where I do like this technique is when the ball is backed up against the collar.

Do you use this technique much on the course? What situations do you find it most useful for?

One of the gentlemen I played with today used his putter out of a bunker. The only other person I've seen do this is my father in law. Anyone else an advocate of using the flatstick from the beach?

Wow. I'm not a great bunker player but it would take a lot of frustration with that shot to resort to using a putter. LOL.