fairwaygolfusa

QUESTION! Which Japanese Golf Brands Would You Like To See Sold in the States?

How it went?...I felt like I'd died and gone to golf club heaven...Seriously, the most incredible place I've ever been in...First, my retail experience is Dick's & GG..I know, I know, but I mean, it is what it is..I live in Pgh & obviously, we're not the golf club mecca of the midwest, much less the world...My other shopping is a private club's pro shop...They stock the full Mizuno line, which I obviously love, and all of the big name OEM stuff...

But this place?...Let's start with Yururi..When he asked me what I thought of Yururi, I thought that I misheard him & I said, "Miura, hell they're supposed to be the best"...He looked at me kinda funny, & said, "No, Yururi, another Japanese manufacturer"..No sh*t!...I could tell that I was gonna have to hide my ignorance, so I said "yea, I heard that they had "good" stuff, though I've never had a chance to hit any of their irons"...Again, he looked at me kinda funny...

Now, I'd told this guy on the phone that I only wanted to see MBs, no shovels, I don't care how soft & bladelike that they felt..So now, he's probably thinkin, "yea right, and this *sshole can hit a blade"...So he takes me into the back and when I looked at the wall, and the irons on the wall, I almost....Well, you get the picture...Back to the Wall...

To my left was Miura...Specifically the 57 Small Blade Irons..Next to them were the Black Blades..And if that weren't enough, the Tournament Blades were literally whispering my name...Then the Retro Models Blade Irons...Then came the Yururi that he asked about..Beautiful cavity backs, though the irons that caught my attention were the Flat Back Blades..Frickin Gorgeous!...The Bridgestone J33 Blades were sweet, and if they weren't sandwiched between the Yururi & Royal Collection, they might have gotten a swing..Today, they didn't get a second glance..

The Royal Collection Forged Blade Irons are the most beautiful irons I've ever seen..You want minimalist?..It don't come any more minimal...A "RC" on the faceback topline toe area.."C-Forged" on the faceback topline heel area..And the club's number on the sole..Incredible!..11 characters..Incredible!...He tried to interest me in the RC Tour VS Forged Irons..They're RC's "pocket" cavity irons..Sorry, but no thanx..If I was gonna hit a "pocket" iron, I'd hit the Mizzy 53s..The best "pocket" CB I've hit...

Anyway, then came Geotech...Honest to, well you know who, the first time I heard this name, I thought that it was an IT company or one of those new "green" companies...Anyway, their Prototype N17 Forged Blade is gorgeous..Outstanding...It came in heads only, though someone had ordered it with shafts, then returned it..Some moron that thought that he wanted MBs..I think that's why this guy was pushin the CBs & pocket cavities on me...

Long story short, I hit the Miura 57s, the Retros & Tour Blades, the Yururi Flat Back Blades, the Geotech N17 Forged Blade & the Royal Collection Forged Blade Irons...I don't have to tell ya which ones I like the best do I?..Yep, the RC Forged Blades...Truly, I do not have the "feel" to discern between the irons that I chose to hit....They all felt incredible..Did they fell "better" than my 68s?..I wouldn't say better as much as different..And a few, yes they felt "softer"...

I also saw a set of Mizzy customs..Again, some clown ordered 'em and for whatever reason, this guy got 'em back..They were basically the MP-63s except cosmetically they were night & day from the retail model..On the faceback topline toe it said "Mizuno" & the facebaback sole toe was the running bird...That's it..There was of course the club number & "Grain Flow Forged" on the hosel..No "MP-63"...And they were a satin color, not the chrome, which I happen to prefer...But they were gorgeous, even if they were 63s...lol...

And the most amazing, beautiful club that I saw in this visit?..It wasn't an iron, driver or hybrid...It was a putter..The Epon Limited Edition Z:EN Forged Putter..It's a heel shafted blade, ala the Wilson Staff 8802...Though comparing the 8802(which I have , still use occasionaly & love) is like comparing the Ford Model-T to a Rolls Silver Shadow..The similarities end with they are both heel shafted putters...This putter is amazing...The flange has concave markings as though someone used a cicular punch and pounded the punch across the whole flange..Trust me, it's cool looking..And absolutely no writing, logos or anything on the head..Only a small logo and "Forged" on the neck...And the face milling is beautiful and hard to describe but it's an oval milling that spreads to the edges of the face...It has a soft DLC black coating to reduce glare & the head weight is 357.5gr...This putter was earmarked for a customer for $1100...I offered him $1500 and he didn't even blink or think about...He said he couldn't...A man of principle...Good to see, though man did I want that putter...One of 300...This one was #298...When ya get the time, google it..Gorgeous!...

Ok, that's my experience...Oh yea, someone was on the monitor when I went to hit so we just went ouside onto the grass, which if anyone who's read my posts know that I prefer..I've been in a groove lately so my irons are flyin true..Anyway, when we were finished, the guy(Stan) said,"you hit those blades like you owned them, which ones do ya want"...I guess that that was a compliment, and he got into the anoying habit of saying "saweet" after I hit so I did feel like I might have moved up in his opinion since my debacle in the begining, but I left with no new irons...

I bought 2 sets of 68s two years ago & I added another last month(GREAT deal-$500, played once), since I feel that these are the best MBs since the 33s..I'm on my second set, though when I wear these out, my third set's probably not gonna see the light of day, much less my bag, cuz the Royal Collection Forged Blades are goin in my bag..That's about 2-3 years out..I just hope that I can still hit a MB then...lol...

Oh yea, and those Epon 2012 Forged Limited Edition shovels on the other thread?..They're as ugly in person as they are in the picture...$2400 worth of ugly!

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

Great write up RP! and I do agree those Epon 2012 Forged L.E are very unique or as you put it "UGLY" biggrin.gif

-Ryan

I have an older set of Mizuno, T-Zoid Comp EZ irons and the T-Zoid/Blue Rage Driver/3,5,7.  Been playing my Callaways for a couple years but still wonder if I should get a newer set of Mizuno irons, like the JPX EZ... so my question to all you JPN Iron lovers, what would be a likely progression to go from the T-Zoid series to something made in the last 3 years?

Thanks. 

I have an older set of Mizuno, T-Zoid Comp EZ irons and the T-Zoid/Blue Rage Driver/3,5,7.  Been playing my Callaways for a couple years but still wonder if I should get a newer set of Mizuno irons, like the JPX EZ... so my question to all you JPN Iron lovers, what would be a likely progression to go from the T-Zoid series to something made in the last 3 years?

Thanks.

If you don't mind spending for the latest and greatest, I'd go for something in the JPX 900 line. What's your handicap? Not sure if you'd need the JPX 900 Hot Metal or not.