Testers Wanted! Volvik Golf Balls ×

Mizuno Long Game - 2023 Forum Review

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Yeah so I conducted a little experiment 2 separate times yesterday. I was by myself with a 2 some in front and nobody behind me so had some time to goof around. On one hole I hit a perfect drive down the middle. But then I purposely hit a shot off the heel and then the toe. All 3 balls were literally within 15 feet of each other. That's not much at all. The heel and toe shots did what they do.. heel went right and toe went left.. but they weren't anything resembling a duck hook or high slice. More like a playable draw or fade!

The 2nd experiment actually started with a low heel that went right and just settled in the first cut. 2nd shot was a towering bomb down the middle and probably the longest drive I've ever had on this particular hole. Even the miss was longer than most of the previous drives I've had on this particular hole. You can't tell from the pic but the entire fairway is an uphill grade so rollout is very minimal. Most other drivers, that low heel would have been in another fairway.. in this case that would have been in a lake that you can't see on the right. If this is a "bad miss" for this club, I'll take that all day every day!

Sounds like you have a winner. Thank you for posting on this test. It will help a lot of folks thinking about buying one.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give this thread a little bumpity bump after my first round of 2024 yesterday, a charity scramble here in MA. 

We had some cold & windy/misty conditions, not the greatest especially when I've only hit one bucket of balls so far this year 😆 My driver started off with some wipey fades, purely my fault not the driver's, once I got going I was hitting some great drives, keeping up distance-wise with our A player, a low single digit cap. Not every strike was great, but the ones that were with minimal warmup were solid and in the fairway (or just off).

I want to reiterate how awesome the ST-Z fairway and hybrid are. Every time I pulled them out of the bag, they performed. Two examples: on the 4th hole of the day, on a 90* dogleg right with water, we needed to be 220 out from the tee (cutting the corner) to give us a 9i in to the green. Thankfully the trees were still pretty much bare, and I put us in perfect position for birdie territory with the fairway wood, taking a straight line towards the water off the tee. On another dogleg, an uphill par 5, our best drive had us along the right side of the fairway. I hit the fairway off the deck, aiming up the left and playing for the 5 yard fade I've come to know and love with that club. Sure enough, I had us 15 yards off the green with a perfect up and down opportunity for birdie that we converted (we won't talk about my short game right now, thankfully the guys I play with already had a number of rounds under their belts). 

Now that these clubs are a year old, I'm sure you can find them at some solid prices. I cannot recommend them enough as a mid capper. They look and feel great, and if someone like me with zero warmup can head out and hit the shots I did with them yesterday, imagine the shots someone who can actually play can get out of them! 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

I also want to shout out the Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 4 iron. I initially struggled with it but now it is my safest tee club. It is 21* of loft as comes out like a rocket. I can get 210-225 out of this thing which is amazing and it goes straight. The driver and hybrid continue to perform but the utility iron has really improved as I have gotten used to it. I still don't fully trust it off the deck but as a tee club it is excellent for tight par 4s. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5*/STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25*/ Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

28 minutes ago, vandyland said:

I also want to shout out the Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 4 iron. I initially struggled with it but now it is my safest tee club. It is 21* of loft as comes out like a rocket. I can get 210-225 out of this thing which is amazing and it goes straight. The driver and hybrid continue to perform but the utility iron has really improved as I have gotten used to it. I still don't fully trust it off the deck but as a tee club it is excellent for tight par 4s. 

I really love my Fli-Hi 3 iron for the same reason you note. Very reliable fairway finder that gets me 240 off the tee when struck well and solid 230 from the fairway or rough. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I have a question for the testers who ended up really liking the fairway woods and hybrids.

Do you feel they stack up against the likes of Titleist TSR's and Callaway Paradym's and Cobra Darkspeed's and the like? Do you feel that all things being equal you aren't missing anything by using the Mizuno's compared to others?

I'm considering the STZ-230 3/5 woods and 4 hybrid over the TSR2 versions to keep some costs down as I'm pretty much replacing everything in my bag but the driver and putter. I'd be curious to your opinions on the comparisons to the other big name OEM options if you have any to offer in that regard. Thank you.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

4 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I have a question for the testers who ended up really liking the fairway woods and hybrids.

Do you feel they stack up against the likes of Titleist TSR's and Callaway Paradym's and Cobra Darkspeed's and the like? Do you feel that all things being equal you aren't missing anything by using the Mizuno's compared to others?

I'm considering the STZ-230 3/5 woods and 4 hybrid over the TSR2 versions to keep some costs down as I'm pretty much replacing everything in my bag but the driver and putter. I'd be curious to your opinions on the comparisons to the other big name OEM options if you have any to offer in that regard. Thank you.

I realize you are asking the testers who liked the clubs but I am answering anyway so as to stay fresh with this testing forum thread. 

I wasn't a huge proponent of these clubs. I felt they were made for higher swing speeds than mine. The driver and the 3 wood were a bust for me. They are very low spin options. If you have a swing speed 90+ with the driver, probably would help. Note I play with original Epic drivers and woods.

The 4 hybrid was a nice club. For a hybrid I thought the club head was small but I hit it well. It wasn't better than my Big Bertha 4 hybrid but it wasn't worse. Ball flight was marginally higher and very straight. 

I sent all three clubs to another tester as they were not on par with the driver and 3 wood, or just as good, with my 4 hybrid.

I realize this doesn't cover what newer generations of clubs might do even better than my Epics and BB19, but I feel it's telling that they didn't match previous generation Callaways for me.

Bottom line, if you have a chance to test them I would definitely do that. As a rule, they hit the ball pretty straight.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

22 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Great question, unfortunately not one I can answer as I only had a Hy-Wood in the fairway/hybrid slot in my bag that the ST-Z fairway & hybrid replaced. I will say that there's nothing about either of those clubs that leave me wanting - they both go exactly where I want and expect, which is about all I can ask out of them. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

2 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

For me, I was giving up ball speed. The Cobra and the TSR were faster for me. What the mizuno did better for me was retaining ball speed across the face. On a dead center strike, the TSR and the Darkspeed were faster and longer. Spin was close with Mizuno sitting in the middle and the Darkspeed LS being the lowest spin. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5*/STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25*/ Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

glad to see this thread popping back up. Having played a couple times this year and trying to settle into my weekly league the Mizuno 3W and Hybrid still maintain their spot in my bag. The hybrid continues to be my favorite of the bunch from this test. 

7 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

I don’t have have any direct comparisons to the newest models but can say of the hybrids I’ve tried in bays (stealth, paradym, TSR) and coming off playing from the rogue st max hybrid I think the Mizuno stacks up well. I think the consistency for me was the biggest selling point. Both the 3-wood and hybrid weren’t the longest for me but I was and still am very consistent with them which beats distance for those clubs in my bag. I prefer a slightly spinnier hybrid for 2 reasons; Shot shaping and holding greens. Mizuno did just that. Due to the shorter overall shaft length and the head performances in particular the 3 wood, although 15°, played more like a 3HL (16-16.5°) distance wise and the 19° hybrid played more like my 20° rogue. This was a non-issue due to the increased accuracy I was seeing. 

Hope this helps!

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

• 2 weeks later...

Just modified a MOI 06 putter (via red marker and black dot)  because the current designed alignment does not satisfy ball alignment to the actual ball-travel path. Has made all the difference. My pushes and pulls are minimal as compared to before. It is a trial and error effort given your pitch of the putter shaft. I do understand, through this process why it is difficult to factory set this type of alignment because of line of sight between top front and back recess. I drew in red a rectangle approximately 7/8 inch, can be smaller, would not recommend wider, and from front to back on elevated part. Then I placed of black dot 1/8 diameter where it needed to be in the red rectangle given my line of sight. Try it, if it doesn't work for you, you can erase with acetate.