Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What is changing with Adams Golf

• SPY VIP

It seems like Adams is truly ready to take a slice of the club market from some of the larger players? Why do you think this is happening?

Is it marketing?

Is it the gear?

Tour presence?

Word of mouth reputation?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like Adams is truly ready to take a slice of the club market from some of the larger players? Why do you think this is happening?

Is it marketing?

Is it the gear?

Tour presence?

Adams has definitely grown in my eyes over the last few years, and it's largely due to word of mouth and the quality of the product. I first started seeing Adams tour issued gear on another forum about 3 years ago. I owned a few pieces and liked a lot of them. Over these past 3 years, it seems more and more people have had access to this gear, as well as the retail gear, and have realized that Adams is consistently putting out great stuff.

On a level away from the tour issued stuff, their Tight Lies clubs have been good for a long time. I wrote elsewhere that I sold tons of older Tight Lies models when I worked in retail. They were just great clubs.

One final point: I think Adams has a really well balanced line up: there are players clubs, mid level clubs, and SGI type clubs. I think it's good when a brand can appeal to golfers at all levels.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Why don't I take a shot.... :angry:

Adams has always made really good quality equipment, but suffered from a branding problem. If you tried to put an Adams Driver in my hands as little as 5 years ago, I would have looked at you like you were trying to sell me undercoating for my car. But the fact is, the original Redline driver was a great club, and almost everything that they have come to market with since then has been better. The hybrids are amazing, and the tour acceptance has really helped raise them in the eyes of the golfing public. I have no problem showing an Adams driver to any player at this point in time. They make a quality product that will fit just about everyone who plays golf.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Another thing that the Callaway health thread made me think of. Is Adams in financial danger or are they in fact moving in a positive fiscal direction?

I think that the exposure for Adams has been tremendous in the last year, Watson & Sadlowski

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_-9aAjING0

Volvo Intorqueo

Another thing that the Callaway health thread made me think of. Is Adams in financial danger or are they in fact moving in a positive fiscal direction?

I think that the exposure for Adams has been tremendous in the last year, Watson & Sadlowski

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8_-9aAjING0

I couldn't answer the financial question, but you're dead on about the exposure they got last year. That pair also illustrates the point that nic and I made about their line up having something for everyone. You can't argue that Adams is for "old people," they equip the long drive champ, and vice versa. ***I fully understand that Tom Watson is not "old people" and that he plays the game at a tremendously high level. I am only speaking to the perception that some might have about the brand.

• SPY VIP

When I got into playing a few years ago, I really had the impression that Adams was a budget brand and something to avoid. It just doesn't seem that way now.

Volvo Intorqueo

When I got into playing a few years ago, I really had the impression that Adams was a budget brand and something to avoid. It just doesn't seem that way now.

I think that initial impression (which I shared) might have been due to the "infomercial effect." I think their tour presence does really help to quash that problem. That's a factor that I didn't really consider enough in my initial post.

For those on this board, I would guess that we don't like to think of ourselves as gullible, the types who play Club X because Tiger does, but would you agree that tour usage does impact your feelings about a brand?

Adams has definitely grown in my eyes over the last few years, and it's largely due to word of mouth and the quality of the product. I first started seeing Adams tour issued gear on another forum about 3 years ago. I owned a few pieces and liked a lot of them. Over these past 3 years, it seems more and more people have had access to this gear, as well as the retail gear, and have realized that Adams is consistently putting out great stuff.

On a level away from the tour issued stuff, their Tight Lies clubs have been good for a long time. I wrote elsewhere that I sold tons of older Tight Lies models when I worked in retail. They were just great clubs.

One final point: I think Adams has a really well balanced line up: there are players clubs, mid level clubs, and SGI type clubs. I think it's good when a brand can appeal to golfers at all levels.

Great post Matt. Totally agree. They are solid up and down the line.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_-9aAjING0

PLANO, Texas, March 9, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Adams Golf (Nasdaq:ADGF - News) today reported net sales of $76.1 million for the year ended December 31, 2009, as compared to $91.5 million for the year ended December 31, 2008, a decrease of 17% year-over-year. Adams Golf had a net loss of $12.2 million, or $1.82 per fully diluted share, for the year ended 2009, as compared to a net loss of $1.5 million, or $0.23 per fully diluted share, for the comparable period of 2008. The net loss for the year ended December 31, 2009 includes a $5 million, one time, charge to settlement expense resulting from the accrual of the settlement of the class action lawsuit, which was taken during the third quarter of 2009 and a non-recurring charge to cost of goods sold of $3.6 million for the write-down of products to the lower of cost or market and the increase to the inventory obsolescence reserve taken during the second quarter of 2009. Excluding these charges, our net loss for the year ended December 31, 2009 was $3.6 million.

The Company's aggregate cash and cash equivalents balance was $12.6 million as of December 31, 2009 as compared to $6.0 million as of December 31, 2008.

"2009 was a challenging year for Adams Golf, and for the golf industry at large," said Mr. Chip Brewer, CEO and President of Adams Golf. "During the year, we faced a sharp decline in consumer discretionary spending and a marked increase in competitive promotional activity. In response, Adams Golf proactively restructured our fixed cost base to match our estimation of market conditions going forward and aggressively managed cash flow to protect our financial strength. We feel we were successful in these efforts and thus ended the year in position to resume profitable growth when market conditions inevitably recover. During the year we also settled the shareholder lawsuit that had been overhanging the company since 1999 and maintained or grew our U.S. market share (according to Datatech our U.S. wood dollar share was up approximately 16% during 2009 and our iron dollar share was down approximately 1%). Additionally, we believe we further strengthened our brand through periodic tour exposure and our sustained position as the # 1 hybrid on the PGA, Nationwide and Champions tours. During the second half of 2009, we also started to see signs of market conditions stabilizing with the potential for a slow recovery during 2010. Our revenues for the second half of 2009 were down only 3% year over year and our financial performance (excluding the one time shareholder lawsuit charge) was significantly improved year over year. We are also pleased with the market response to our recent product introductions."

"The Idea a7 and a7 OS irons sets and hybrids and the Speedline Fast 10 drivers all won Gold designations in the 2010 Golf Digest Hot List rankings and the Idea a7 OS iron sets were the category leader in "Performance" in the super game improvement iron category," Mr. Brewer concluded.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I see and smell something here. I am not going into the clubs, as we all know, they make some great clubs and irons.

The company is bloated, they need to worry about turning a profit. I will give you a for instance. We bought a company a year ago, Blue Holdings. They did the previous fiscal year, 78 million in sales, but they lost 26 million on the bottom line. They were about to go under, so we bought them for a song and dance, and the two Fashion Denim lines they owned.

The company had 147 employees, where we had 32. As we dug into the company, there were jobs and positions that made no sense. Everyone had an assistant, some people 2 each. They sourced all wrong, couldn't keep up with their bills, were missing shipments because they couldn't pay for their release. The higher ups were making ungodly salaries and bonuses, which was killing the bottom line. They rented in a super high rent district in LA, everything they did made no money sense. They made a great product, and they were about to go under, even when there was a high demand for their Jeans.

Today, in the LA Show Room, the offices are gone, we have 8 people, including design, production and management. The rest is done from our office in business friendly, low tax, low property tax, rent Virginia. We have since added more people inside our office, but the whole point is, from the outside, a company can look great, but could be so badly run, it's about to disappear.

Just the statement reminded me of what we heard before they came to us to buy them out.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

PLANO, Texas, March 9, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Adams Golf (Nasdaq:ADGF - News) today reported net sales of $76.1 million for the year ended December 31, 2009, as compared to $91.5 million for the year ended December 31, 2008, a decrease of 17% year-over-year. Adams Golf had a net loss of $12.2 million, or $1.82 per fully diluted share, for the year ended 2009, as compared to a net loss of $1.5 million, or $0.23 per fully diluted share, for the comparable period of 2008. The net loss for the year ended December 31, 2009 includes a $5 million, one time, charge to settlement expense resulting from the accrual of the settlement of the class action lawsuit, which was taken during the third quarter of 2009 and a non-recurring charge to cost of goods sold of $3.6 million for the write-down of products to the lower of cost or market and the increase to the inventory obsolescence reserve taken during the second quarter of 2009. Excluding these charges, our net loss for the year ended December 31, 2009 was $3.6 million.

The Company's aggregate cash and cash equivalents balance was $12.6 million as of December 31, 2009 as compared to $6.0 million as of December 31, 2008.

"2009 was a challenging year for Adams Golf, and for the golf industry at large," said Mr. Chip Brewer, CEO and President of Adams Golf. "During the year, we faced a sharp decline in consumer discretionary spending and a marked increase in competitive promotional activity. In response, Adams Golf proactively restructured our fixed cost base to match our estimation of market conditions going forward and aggressively managed cash flow to protect our financial strength. We feel we were successful in these efforts and thus ended the year in position to resume profitable growth when market conditions inevitably recover. During the year we also settled the shareholder lawsuit that had been overhanging the company since 1999 and maintained or grew our U.S. market share (according to Datatech our U.S. wood dollar share was up approximately 16% during 2009 and our iron dollar share was down approximately 1%). Additionally, we believe we further strengthened our brand through periodic tour exposure and our sustained position as the # 1 hybrid on the PGA, Nationwide and Champions tours. During the second half of 2009, we also started to see signs of market conditions stabilizing with the potential for a slow recovery during 2010. Our revenues for the second half of 2009 were down only 3% year over year and our financial performance (excluding the one time shareholder lawsuit charge) was significantly improved year over year. We are also pleased with the market response to our recent product introductions."

"The Idea a7 and a7 OS irons sets and hybrids and the Speedline Fast 10 drivers all won Gold designations in the 2010 Golf Digest Hot List rankings and the Idea a7 OS iron sets were the category leader in "Performance" in the super game improvement iron category," Mr. Brewer concluded.

Thanks, this is the data I was hoping we could find.

I see and smell something here. I am not going into the clubs, as we all know, they make some great clubs and irons.

The company is bloated, they need to worry about turning a profit. I will give you a for instance. We bought a company a year ago, Blue Holdings. They did the previous fiscal year, 78 million in sales, but they lost 26 million on the bottom line. They were about to go under, so we bought them for a song and dance, and the two Fashion Denim lines they owned.

The company had 147 employees, where we had 32. As we dug into the company, there were jobs and positions that made no sense. Everyone had an assistant, some people 2 each. They sourced all wrong, couldn't keep up with their bills, were missing shipments because they couldn't pay for their release. The higher ups were making ungodly salaries and bonuses, which was killing the bottom line. They rented in a super high rent district in LA, everything they did made no money sense. They made a great product, and they were about to go under, even when there was a high demand for their Jeans.

Today, in the LA Show Room, the offices are gone, we have 8 people, including design, production and management. The rest is done from our office in business friendly, low tax, low property tax, rent Virginia. We have since added more people inside our office, but the whole point is, from the outside, a company can look great, but could be so badly run, it's about to disappear.

Just the statement reminded me of what we heard before they came to us to buy them out.

John in reading the above, it looks like they have made a huge upswing. Do you think that something is rotten underneath? Is there any way to know before they seek a buyer.if they seek a buyer?

Volvo Intorqueo

As a new golfer, I can say in just 2-3 years, I've seen a dramatic progression in their marketing and presence. When I started all I would see was "Adams, the number one hybrid in golf", now its about a lot more than that, I am seeing ads in magazines, more floor space in retail stores, and a broader line... I think they decided to blitz the market, and it definitely seemed to help... Enough so that I am trying to decide on my next set of irons between Adams and Mizuno...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I don't know how to really tell. A big marketing year, can just be a dying attempt to hang on. Now, I am not saying Adams is going out of business, but when I see a company do a large amount in gross sales, and show a pretty big loss, something is wrong, and something has to change quick, or they will not survive.

Since we bought Blue Holdings, we have bought two other retail clothing chains in the shape and way.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I don't know how to really tell. A big marketing year, can just be a dying attempt to hang on. Now, I am not saying Adams is going out of business, but when I see a company do a large amount in gross sales, and show a pretty big loss, something is wrong, and something has to change quick, or they will not survive.

Since we bought Blue Holdings, we have bought two other retail clothing chains in the shape and way.

That is troubling to hear. I will have to speak to the fellas I know at the company to see what the heck is going on...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Get us the inside scoop, there could be a good chance they are the market to be sold too, or at least weighing that option.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

So the warning sign may be 3% loss with ..

"The Company's aggregate cash and cash equivalents balance was $12.6 million as of December 31, 2009 as compared to $6.0 million as of December 31, 2008."

I am so glad I ended up in science and not economics. I read this as they made more money, but not as much as they needed to make. Am I on the right track?

Volvo Intorqueo

Is it marketing?

Is it the gear?

Tour presence?

I believe its a little bit of everything. I know I tried out the Pro Gold irons because I'd heard Great things about them from others. Then I tried out the Pro Black hybrid because of the marketing and the response from players

Overall, I love both of these, so they're definitely backing up the 'word of mouth' and marketing!

Get us the inside scoop, there could be a good chance they are the market to be sold too, or at least weighing that option.

Eeek, that would suck. I hope they don't sell out, their clubs are just starting to make a turn for the better.

Why don't I take a shot.... :)

Adams has always made really good quality equipment, but suffered from a branding problem. If you tried to put an Adams Driver in my hands as little as 5 years ago, I would have looked at you like you were trying to sell me undercoating for my car. But the fact is, the original Redline driver was a great club, and almost everything that they have come to market with since then has been better. The hybrids are amazing, and the tour acceptance has really helped raise them in the eyes of the golfing public. I have no problem showing an Adams driver to any player at this point in time. They make a quality product that will fit just about everyone who plays golf.

I think this is it....and the fact that they've finally started making a full line-up of top notch products.

For the longest time, they were seen as making a good fwy wood -- the Tight Lies -- and that was it. The rest of the line-up was relatively weak. Now, they have just taken a leap forward throughout the line-up. Quality made quality product, pretty much from Driver on down.....just like every other company.

I think this is it....and the fact that they've finally started making a full line-up of top notch products.

For the longest time, they were seen as making a good fwy wood -- the Tight Lies -- and that was it. The rest of the line-up was relatively weak. Now, they have just taken a leap forward throughout the line-up. Quality made quality product, pretty much from Driver on down.....just like every other company.

Exactly. The Speedline drivers are gaining traction and the new irons aren't just for people who need the help of an all hybrid set. Not to mention the A7 putters are pretty good, though ditching the insert would be better IMO.

I am by no means an expert, but the bigger cash flow could them taking huge hits on goods, selling them below cost to move inventory. Therefore, they have more on hand cash, but show a loss. I have been in that boat before, it's a trick of the business in the clothing market for years and years.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Let me just add a little inside info on the sales side of Adams. They recently hired Mark Perfetti, who led Cleveland Golf during their big leap as a full line club company as a VP for many years in the late 90's until recently. Mark is a dynamic leader and will help get Adams on the right path.

I for one will now look to Adams for my new irons, especially the new Black finish forged irons. Mark was in the middle of the Gunmetal line for Cleveland and I'm sure will bring a lot of good things to the table for Adams. I will be rooting for Adams to get their ship righted and move forward to success.

If they hired an outside gun like that, then there is a problem, but they are not in full panic mode. This guy will likely be give free reign to run that side, and get that back to turning a prophet. Just keep your eyes open for layoffs or selling divisions of the company, those are huge warning signs. Store owners, if all of sudden great deals and discounts come down from Adams direct to you, that's another sign of a huge, very slow moving inventory.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Let me just add a little inside info on the sales side of Adams. They recently hired Mark Perfetti, who led Cleveland Golf during their big leap as a full line club company as a VP for many years in the late 90's until recently. Mark is a dynamic leader and will help get Adams on the right path.

I for one will now look to Adams for my new irons, especially the new Black finish forged irons. Mark was in the middle of the Gunmetal line for Cleveland and I'm sure will bring a lot of good things to the table for Adams. I will be rooting for Adams to get their ship righted and move forward to success.

If they hired an outside gun like that, then there is a problem, but they are not in full panic mode. This guy will likely be give free reign to run that side, and get that back to turning a prophet. Just keep your eyes open for layoffs or selling divisions of the company, those are huge warning signs. Store owners, if all of sudden great deals and discounts come down from Adams direct to you, that's another sign of a huge, very slow moving inventory.

Thanks for the information guys.

Do you think that there is any make or break timetable for them?

Volvo Intorqueo

Depends really how long they want to keep putting their own money into the company if it's still losing money.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

It's good to see them getting on the right track. I think a problem that they have had is that they appeal more to older folk. They advertised for a while being the most popular hybrid on the Champions Tour, who would want that? I guess if it's all you've got it might be a good idea, but I thought their marketing was a little off. I hope they stay on the right track, and thanks for the update.

It could just as well be the sign of a company making an aggressive move for a bigger market share. Done right it's a great way to grow suddenly in a limited market.

Shambles

• SPY VIP

It could just as well be the sign of a company making an aggressive move for a bigger market share. Done right it's a great way to grow suddenly in a limited market.

Shambles

Are you saying that Mark Perfetti has some new ideas/mojo that were not executed at Cleveland?

Volvo Intorqueo

I am keeping my Eye on this thread.... Everything i hear from people I trust leads me to believe that Adams will be here for the forseeable future.

Archived