Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Could a winning Tiger boost golf equipment sales?

Moecat

Do you think that any of the other players in the Nike camp can be elevated to the market status like Tiger? maybe not that high, but would a win by AK and Nike blasting an AK campaign shift the focus to the new player? NGage suggested that the person to take the Tiger mantle would have to be new to the public and sort of the next big thing (paraphrasing and interpreting). Does this make more sense than the AK wedge line?

On the men's side, I'm going to say not. At least not to the point where there's going to be any real significant number of products moved through the stores. Maybe multiple wins by AK, but certainly not 'a win'. Tiger's a demigod of legendary proportions. AK has what, a couple of wins back in '08 and a great Ryder Cup series. I think the pro with possibly enough charisma is Wie, but she needs to get a few more W's herself. And then it remains to be seen how much those wins would translate into sales in the men's line.

______

Dave

Image Gallery

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

On the men's side, I'm going to say not. At least not to the point where there's going to be any real significant number of products moved through the stores. Maybe multiple wins by AK, but certainly not 'a win'. Tiger's a demigod of legendary proportions. AK has what, a couple of wins back in '08 and a great Ryder Cup series. I think the pro with possibly enough charisma is Wie, but she needs to get a few more W's herself. And then it remains to be seen how much those wins would translate into sales in the men's line.

Wie has some attitude issues or at least perceived attitude issues that make her less marketable. Perhaps she can grow into the spokes role, but you are right, Tiger's level is unparalleled. NGage may be dead on that we need someone totally new to take the torch. Outside of AK, I don't see the dominant personality either. Even with AK, he seems to shrink from the spotlight.

Top of my head, only Poulter seems brash and confident enough to be marketable like Tiger but he is non-Nike, and doesn't have the on course cred to yet to carry the attitude to market, IMO.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Do you see Nike as a body without a head right now? What about the other Nike pros like AK? Obviously there is only 1 tiger, but Cink has been a solid player and a great Nike ambassador.

You could say that all of the other companies are too, except maybe Callaway due to Phil. No body has the stardom in golf of Tiger Woods. The normal population does not know who Steve Stricker is, and those who do know who he is aren't the ones who will likely be swayed by him playing Titleist clubs.

• SPY VIP

You could say that all of the other companies are too, except maybe Callaway due to Phil. No body has the stardom in golf of Tiger Woods. The normal population does not know who Steve Stricker is, and those who do know who he is aren't the ones who will likely be swayed by him playing Titleist clubs.

So who could slip into this role? Camello? Poulter? Harrington? Daly?

Volvo Intorqueo

So who could slip into this role? Camello? Poulter? Harrington? Daly?

Whoever has the buying power of Tiger. In the world today, nobody. Maybe Daly, but he is associated more with Hooters than any specific golf company. Not to mention his golf has been poor.

• SPY VIP

Daly was a joke, too much baggage. Winning majors maybe could help John as a spokesperson, but maybe not.

I was thinking about the players on the Titleist ProV1 commercial who are there to sell the balls. No one really jumps out as someone who the buying public can latch onto. Harrington had the majors, but seemingly few resulting endorsements. Paddy-Aide didn't make it to the shelves in my area.

Volvo Intorqueo

Daly was a joke, too much baggage. Winning majors maybe could help John as a spokesperson, but maybe not.

I was thinking about the players on the Titleist ProV1 commercial who are there to sell the balls. No one really jumps out as someone who the buying public can latch onto. Harrington had the majors, but seemingly few resulting endorsements. Paddy-Aide didn't make it to the shelves in my area.

You're right. While Harrington alone won't get me to buy a club, I was pleasantly surprised by Wilson's current line of irons. The new Wilson Staff Fg59 and the FG Tour forgings are gorgeous. I also thought the Ci9 line is very handsome and would make one of the bigger manufacturers proud. If only Wilson could market, they certainly seem to have some very good products out now.

______

Dave

Image Gallery

With V1's, all the public needs is a touring pro. It doesn't have to be any big name. That ball sells itself. I see player after player trying the next new ball every year, and they all go back to Pro V1.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

New putters are still on the ugly side for me though. And I don't know why, but that is sort of a deal killer with me for a brand sometimes. Not Adams yellow ugly, but not visually appealing and this can drive me (maybe just me) away from a brand. Too bad Paddy doesn't have Connery charm.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

With V1's, all the public needs is a touring pro. It doesn't have to be any big name. That ball sells itself. I see player after player trying the next new ball every year, and they all go back to Pro V1.

So do you have a non-tiger marquee pro that can rise to his status as a brand?

Volvo Intorqueo

You're right. While Harrington alone won't get me to buy a club, I was pleasantly surprised by Wilson's current line of irons. The new Wilson Staff Fg59 and the FG Tour forgings are gorgeous. I also thought the Ci9 line is very handsome and would make one of the bigger manufacturers proud. If only Wilson could market, they certainly seem to have some very good products out now.

I think that Padraig is keeping Wilson golf alive...Yes, they have quality clubs, but I don't know that too many people would buy them without Harrington and winning Majors

• SPY VIP

I think that Padraig is keeping Wilson golf alive...Yes, they have quality clubs, but I don't know that too many people would buy them without Harrington and winning Majors

This is an excellent point. Paddy is the brand at this point. Who else on tour is bagging Wilson?

Does Wilson have a stronger presence in markets outside of the US?

Volvo Intorqueo

This is an excellent point. Paddy is the brand at this point. Who else on tour is bagging Wilson?

Does Wilson have a stronger presence in markets outside of the US?

I would assume because Paddy has more of a following outside of the US, Wilson does too.

That's a good point. Who is going to buy a TW hat now?

I was wearing mine today!

Do you see Nike as a body without a head right now? What about the other Nike pros like AK? Obviously there is only 1 tiger, but Cink has been a solid player and a great Nike ambassador.

Yes, it's a body without a head, but I see Nike making a concerted effort to fix this. If you look at the Oven videos, they really focus on AK, Cink, Leonard. There was the Paul Casey video up recently. They have a good, young staff and this time away from Tiger might make Nike stronger as a whole when he returns.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

So do you have a non-tiger marquee pro that can rise to his status as a brand?

The only kid I see as having the chance of achieving near Tiger brand is R. Fowler. Young, Talented, he just needs to win a lot.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

The only kid I see as having the chance of achieving near Tiger brand is R. Fowler. Young, Talented, he just needs to win a lot.

That's a good one. He's flashy, he is young, he has good skills, and he has some serious game, with several near-misses so far, he'll be in the winner's circle soon enough.

I keep hearing this about Fowler, but I just don't see it. I see a guy with too much hair, a hat that's much too big, and someone who, except for his clothes, would blend in with most other golfers (ignoring his talent, which seems above average). Maybe I'm just too old.

I keep hearing this about Fowler, but I just don't see it. I see a guy with too much hair, a hat that's much too big, and someone who, except for his clothes, would blend in with most other golfers (ignoring his talent, which seems above average). Maybe I'm just too old.

You could say the same thing about Rory McIlroy, except his hat fits.

McIlroy is from the worng country to ge the BIG bucks from the American advertisers. Fowler will learn. He is young still. Give him time.

I wouldn't. McIlroy, to me, has a higher level of "watchability."

McIlroy is from the worng country to ge the BIG bucks from the American advertisers. Fowler will learn. He is young still. Give him time.

What is Fowler going to learn that will make him a star like Tiger? Is the belief that he will win that much?

Fowler has style, and sets himself apart. He has the skills, if he is managed right, and continues to improve, he could be the next big Marketing player. He kind of has that X-Games feel to me, a new golf segment opened up?

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Fowler has style, and sets himself apart. He has the skills, if he is managed right, and continues to improve, he could be the next big Marketing player. He kind of has that X-Games feel to me, a new golf segment opened up?

The same kind of thing that Tiger did when he joined the tour.

Here's the thing though. Growth in golf is flat. There has not been any signifigant growth in players in the US in years. For nearly every person who joins the game, someone leaves. This has to change in order for the industry to experience real growth.

The same kind of thing that Tiger did when he joined the tour.

Here's the thing though. Growth in golf is flat. There has not been any signifigant growth in players in the US in years. For nearly every person who joins the game, someone leaves. This has to change in order for the industry to experience real growth.

Not sure what this means... Do you mean there has to be 10 'Tigers' on the Tour at the same time for it to grow? There can only be so many players on Tour, i.e. top 125 money list + nationwide, etc...

Makes me think of Boo Weekly running down the fairway 'riding the horse' at the Ryder Cup ;)

He hasn't won in three years though. The TOUR needs an unrelenting talent like Tiger who will win numerous times. I think Fowler can do it, he's come close a couple of times already.

Archived