Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Iron paint job...

As we near Memorial day holiday, July 4th...I am going with Red White and blue theme...and going to keep it for all summer.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_20120517_151224800x600.jpg

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

Sweet job, like the red white blue theme.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I love the paint job. I am also one that likes being very festive and celebratory when it comes to holidays. How often do you change the paint?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I love the paint job. I am also one that likes being very festive and celebratory when it comes to holidays. How often do you change the paint?

I just started last year. Most of the year, I stick with my Mich State U's green and white theme, but when I have some down time, I tinker with different color.

Once the summer season is over, I might try orange (like Rickie F.), which pops really nice.

Then, back to Green and White...or Green and Red for winter. Maybe maybe not.

It is fun to do this project with my 7 year old...have him do the color fill in the number area, since you don't have to be very accurate, and I will do the final clean up when paint dries.

I don't want to change the colors too much...but I might just stick with Green/White; Red/White/Blue; Orange combo rotation. Who knows, I might go hot pink one day.

Looks good, I've been kicking around a couple different options that I want to throw on my irons. I've picked up a couple randoms. I'm leaning toward one called french blue for the irons but I've also got a zinc something green that looks like weathered copper that would really pop. Although I did find one the other day at the hobby shop called hot pink pearl. That may be filling in the wedges or my putter within the next couple weeks. Nice to hear you involving the 7 yr old, now does the kid have their own clubs to tinker with as well? I would love to see some pics of the green white too. What brand of paints do you normally use?

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I think you can do a pretty good job on those numbers with some permanent marker pen ink refills. Just slop it on, let dry thoroughly and rub off the slop with an ink eraser. It ought to also work with printer ink refills though I've never tried it with those. The trick is how to get the slop off and it's a job and a half with nail polish or paint. Ink does very well for me as I just rub off the excess.

Shambles

Shambles, you're over complicating it, IMO. Paint quality plays a factor. I prefer to use Tamiya X-Acrylics and use a needle tipped bottle to apply it. Put the paint in, let it dry for 30 minutes, use a piece of an old t-shirt with acetone on it and wipe the excess in one wiping motion. Let that dry, wipe one more time to remove any streaking.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Hey Blue, I know I've seen you post it before, but where did you pick up the needle tipped bottles?

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

A-West makes them and lucky for me, they're local so I just go to their warehouse and pick em up. Any hobby shop should have them though.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Shambles, you're over complicating it, IMO. Paint quality plays a factor. I prefer to use Tamiya X-Acrylics and use a needle tipped bottle to apply it. Put the paint in, let it dry for 30 minutes, use a piece of an old t-shirt with acetone on it and wipe the excess in one wiping motion. Let that dry, wipe one more time to remove any streaking.

It may or may not be. I find ink very simple and safe. It's also a cleaner job and serves double duty. Regardless, use whatever floats. It's very rare that I do more than clean my clubs.

Shambles

Looks good, I've been kicking around a couple different options that I want to throw on my irons. I've picked up a couple randoms. I'm leaning toward one called french blue for the irons but I've also got a zinc something green that looks like weathered copper that would really pop. Although I did find one the other day at the hobby shop called hot pink pearl. That may be filling in the wedges or my putter within the next couple weeks. Nice to hear you involving the 7 yr old, now does the kid have their own clubs to tinker with as well? I would love to see some pics of the green white too. What brand of paints do you normally use?

My 7 year old has kiddy clubs from his old days, however, I am in a process of converting that with little bit longer shaft to work with his height. I use Testers acrylic paint picked up from hobby store, and it has been working pretty good. use small paint brush, nail polish remover (wife's), some old rag/paper towel. Very quick project, and love it.

and here is picture of "green and white" fill (very first job I did, so little sloppy, but getting better.

IMG_20120216_181750800x600.jpg

My take on this is, use whatever works best for you. Sometimes, just work with what you already have. Why not, there is no one right way to do it, have fun doing it.

I love the look of the Michigan State colors...I should start doing this!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

My 7 year old has kiddy clubs from his old days, however, I am in a process of converting that with little bit longer shaft to work with his height. I use Testers acrylic paint picked up from hobby store, and it has been working pretty good. use small paint brush, nail polish remover (wife's), some old rag/paper towel. Very quick project, and love it.

and here is picture of "green and white" fill (very first job I did, so little sloppy, but getting better.

IMG_20120216_181750800x600.jpg

My take on this is, use whatever works best for you. Sometimes, just work with what you already have. Why not, there is no one right way to do it, have fun doing it.

I was commenting on the part where he said its a job to get it off. That's why I use pure acetone instead of nail polish remover. It's a stronger acetone solution because of the lack of the perfumy stuff and color dye they put in.

In The Bag

I was commenting on the part where he said its a job to get it off. That's why I use pure acetone instead of nail polish remover. It's a stronger acetone solution because of the lack of the perfumy stuff and color dye they put in.

Acetone and paint have a problem of using up the rag involved, or a lot of cotton and can require greater care and caution in applying because too much can affect the paint you want to leave behind. Not a big deal unless the person involved is distracted or careless. There is greater preparation involved but the job is doable. Frankly, any paint or colored varnish will work as long as you have the right cleanser for the paint or varnish involved. It just requires greater preparation as the materials are not normal to a household. Of course, if you are painting your house or a room, or if you are into model making, then it is convenient to you.

An eraser can be used even without a great deal of looking and there is usually one or two lying discarded and unattended in some drawer around the house. It's dry and the detritus can be brushed into the nearest waste basket. Office supplies are more normal to me.

Shambles

Archived