Music on the Golf Course?

16 hours ago, GolferXY said:

Well, I just experienced a very annoying musical experience.  I was at the local putting green this morning doing my thing, when a guy showed up blaring....er....sharing his music at a very, shall we say, noticeable level.  I'm not a particular fan of reggae, but this was particularly not Tosh or Marley-esque.  I took my ball[s] and went home.  Many thanks to those who remain mindful that other's chosen distraction may not match with their own.  I ask you, what is the problem with ear buds?  

What is the problem with ear buds?? Why is that hard for some?

Driver: Titleist TSR2 10 degree Tensei AV Blue 55 shaft 

Fairway woods: TaylorMade Burner 15 degree and Titleist TS2 18 degree 

Irons: Ping G425 irons 5-PW w/ Alta CB graphite shafts

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 921 gap 51. Ping Glide sand wedge 56. Titleist Vokey SM-07 lob wedge 60

Grips: Golf Pride MCC midsize plus 4 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom (right and left handed)

Balls: Titleist Pro V1 and Titleist Velocity

19 hours ago, GolferXY said:

Well, I just experienced a very annoying musical experience.  I was at the local putting green this morning doing my thing, when a guy showed up blaring....er....sharing his music at a very, shall we say, noticeable level.  I'm not a particular fan of reggae, but this was particularly not Tosh or Marley-esque.  I took my ball[s] and went home.  Many thanks to those who remain mindful that other's chosen distraction may not match with their own.  I ask you, what is the problem with ear buds?  

... As discussed earlier, I think ear buds are anti social and hate playing with anyone using them. Someone posted they play with ear buds in one ear and that would solve the social and music issue. 

... That said the practice area for putting, short game and full swings is a different subject and as much as I love music played at a low level on the course, practice area's are a different story and I would never play music for practice. Imo it is one thing to be walking or riding for several minutes and having music accompany just myself and my partner and quite another for practice with many individuals involved. 

... But this is the thing so many seem to miss. Life isn't just how you personally would like it to be. Not on the road, not in restaurants and not on a golf course. You share it with others who can have 100% different opinions about most every and anything. Blaring music that annoys others or refusing to accept music from others played at a respectful level that you probably can't heat 75% of the time unless you are near them is just selfish in the strictest sense of the world. The operative word is "respectful" and that is a compromise everyone should accept. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... As discussed earlier, I think ear buds are anti social and hate playing with anyone using them. Someone posted they play with ear buds in one ear and that would solve the social and music issue. 

... That said the practice area for putting, short game and full swings is a different subject and as much as I love music played at a low level on the course, practice area's are a different story and I would never play music for practice. Imo it is one thing to be walking or riding for several minutes and having music accompany just myself and my partner and quite another for practice with many individuals involved. 

... But this is the thing so many seem to miss. Life isn't just how you personally would like it to be. Not on the road, not in restaurants and not on a golf course. You share it with others who can have 100% different opinions about most every and anything. Blaring music that annoys others or refusing to accept music from others played at a respectful level that you probably can't heat 75% of the time unless you are near them is just selfish in the strictest sense of the world. The operative word is "respectful" and that is a compromise everyone should accept. 

The captain of my senior travel team practices (both on the range and the chipping/putting green) while wearing ear buds and listening to music. He does not do so during any round of golf.

By the way, he is a 1-handicap and a USGA official course eater and regional supervisor.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

5 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

The captain of my senior travel team practices (both on the range and the chipping/putting green) while wearing ear buds and listening to music. He does not do so during any round of golf.

... Perfect! 

42 minutes ago, chisag said:

Someone posted they play with ear buds in one ear and that would solve the social and music 

I agree, though plugging both ears isn't really anti-social as much as discourteous and dangerous IMO.  Playing with one ear plugged in and one open would eliminate any social problems I think.

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

6 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

I agree, though plugging both ears isn't really anti-social

... I have only encountered this 3 times and everyone of them never said a word to the rest of us. I started out saying "Nice shot" and they either had to remove their ear buds seemingly annoyed saying "What?" or the ignored me because they didn't hear me with ear buds playing. All 3 times were just a little uncomfortable for the rest of us. 

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... I have only encountered this 3 times and everyone of them never said a word to the rest of us. I started out saying "Nice shot" and they either had to remove their ear buds seemingly annoyed saying "What?" or the ignored me because they didn't hear me with ear buds playing. All 3 times were just a little uncomfortable for the rest of us. 

That's definitely anti-social alright.  Poopie heads!

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

Hell no, you are interfering with the brainless song in my head.   Actually what I do hate is some jerk 2 fairways over playing their music so loud I can hear it.   If you want music show respect for others on the course, not everyone wants to play with your crap choice in music.  

Four, Albatross'

Three Holes in One

Plus, when I was 5 the first ball I ever hit on a golf course went in the hole, so I have that going for me.

My bag is a mish mash of Ping drivers, cobra and adams fairways, TA1 irons and Hopkins wedges, plus a Cure putter.  

• 3 weeks later...

This has probably already been said many times, but I think music is fine but keep it down around other groups. 

If you don't get to play much I think the quietness of the course is a real part of the experience. At the same time, if you get to play a lot and its not as much an experience to get out there, then I could see music being more commonplace. 

KEEP IT DOWN WILL YA?! (old man voice)

Taylormade Sim driver

New Level 623 CBs

Tour edge exotics 3 wood

Rife 2 bar putter