Bobby Jones Goes White

Bobby Jones is joining the white wood bandwagon. Here are their new fairway woods...

Played a BJ hybrid a few seasons ago -- liked it a lot. These look kind of interesting, and Jesse Ortiz certainly knows his fairway woods....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have to say, I am not surprised that a recognizable company is going to the white clubs. That was bound to happen. I am surprised that it is Bobby Jones. I don't know why by always think of those clubs with more traditional and classic looks. I don't know, maybe it is just the name that makes me think that. As far as the wood goes, my uncle played one and loved it. Then he found a good price on a Tour Edge, and well, it got replaced. As far as the looks go, I love some pictures, and think some other pictures are not as appealing.

FAIRWAY12.detail.b.jpg FAIRWAY12.detail.d.jpg

FAIRWAY12.detail.c.jpg

I don't like the first picture but I love the two after that. Would MGS be able to get one to test?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I use one of BJ's hybrid, which I love. Just love the classic look...baby wood I call it.

I personally don't like the "square head" look.

This, just to me is a pure marketing ploy, not really about the club itself. White is hot, so why not. I like it when shown as a picture, but when I look at the real club, sometime, it is distracting. Just my personal taste...

If I run into another BJ's hybrid, I might have to pick another one up for my bag.

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

I use one of BJ's hybrid, which I love. Just love the classic look...baby wood I call it.

I personally don't like the "square head" look.

This, just to me is a pure marketing ploy, not really about the club itself. White is hot, so why not. I like it when shown as a picture, but when I look at the real club, sometime, it is distracting. Just my personal taste...

If I run into another BJ's hybrid, I might have to pick another one up for my bag.

Rockbottomgolf.com had the BJ hybrids for $60 each not too long ago. Wouldnt mind snagging another one myself.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Bobby Jones is turning in his grave right now. I've always admired the classic look of their clubs. It's a shame they've gone over to the dark side.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Rockbottomgolf.com had the BJ hybrids for $60 each not too long ago. Wouldnt mind snagging another one myself.

BJ site actually have it for $60 (on sale), however, not sure how much shipping they charge. I think BJ's website has the workshop version, where you can bend the head for true custom fit, if one wants to do that.

decisions decisions decisions.

The old player Hybrids were great performing clubs and looked fantastic. The dark finish with the slight green and the classic soles. Classy. These just look like TM knock-off's to me. They will probably perform OK, but I suspect they won't sell well.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Looks like someone took a can of paint to and old Optimar Trimetal.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

The more I look at this the more confused I am. These new ones have nothing in common with the old ones. Nothing at all. Is Ortiz even with BJ Golf any more? I am thinking now maybe he left and this is just a corporate committee design from the guys who are managing the clubs section now. 'White is selling right? Lets make them white." "How about a weight screw?", "Yeah those are cool"

Ortiz invested a lot of effort in those Players clubs- the design and the tech and the promotion. They worked brilliantly. The throw-back style is really catching on now, so it would had been perfect to tweak those Player designs a bit and relaunch. "The Original Classic" or something.

I don't get this.

But then I still don't get RocketBallz, so what do I know?

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Jesse's still with Bobby Jones -- here's a link to their website page for the new fairway wood -- and by golly that's Jesse himself in the video!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Calling a 17° club a "5-wood" is pretty silly. My "4-wood" is 18².

This is nothing new...some 44* iron is now called pitching wedge. Mine, 48*.

Archived