TESTERS WANTED! ×

It's the short game, stupid...

GolfSpy Barbajo

Never fails -- decent ball striking round gets derailed around the green. Probably lost 6 to 10 shots due to less than stellar pitches, chips and putts - wind up with an 86. Good news is the stroke is down - none of the dreaded "chili-dips" - bad news is distance control remains - at best - a rumor; way to short, leaving 10 to 20 foot par putts.

Round before this one - ball striking was meh, short game/putting on target - shot an 85. This is one crazy-ass game...

Can't wait to put both parts together!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This almost belongs on RP's thread about the clubs we play, but the main reason I play MC, or whatever these MP62s are, is that I feel they are better at the partial shots than the GI or even CB irons. I have great confidence in them and believe that I can get it closer or in the hole with these everytime. I, of course, I do not but that is what I think when I get over the ball.

My short game has changed drastically since I got over my flipping the club. I still had a pretty good short game there and used PW, 52, 56, 60, 64 wedges all the time. I used one of these on every hole. I would and could hit the ball an exact distance and it would land like a hackey sack and stop right there. Usually, near the hole. Now, I may use each of these once each per round.

However, As I got better at not flipping my hands and hitting down on the ball, I started to get a little more roll (just 10 feet but that is a long putt) and because I am making such better contact with the ball I fly the ball further hit those clubs. Not only that before I was always 30 or 40 yards left of the green. Now I am usually less than 10 yards off the green. So, I use the irons more for partial shots and land it on the green and let it roll to the hole more.

For club selection, I look at my roll to carry ratio and pick a spot just on the green to land the ball. And determine if I want a 1:1 (PW) 2:1 (9i) 3:1 (8i) 4:1 (7i) or a 1:2 (SW). Then read the green like a putt, pick my line, get lined up, now all I have to do is focus on how hard to hit the ball to make it land on my spot on the green and physics will take over from there. If it is uphill or downhill,I will choose a club on either side of my formula here, and still only have to focus on that spot.

The main thing to me is to have some method. It is so important to be able to stand over the ball, be 100% committed to it, and honestly believe that this is going to go into the hole. Because while it does not actually go in the hole very often, it still goes in much more often than those shots I am not committed to. Those shots are usually ones I get to do over, from 10 feet from the previous shots, or a bladed 30 yard shot often means a 30 yard shot from the other side of the green.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

..... I still had a pretty good short game there and used PW, 52, 56, 60, 64 wedges all the time. I used one of these on every hole. I would and could hit the ball an exact distance and it would land like a hackey sack and stop right there. Usually, near the hole.....

That is exactly how I've been playing it. The only exception being shots from the fringe or just off the fringe I use a hybrid. Anything else inside 75 yards is my lob wedge, which I practice a TON with in my backyard.

I have wondered if the "roll-out" style might be better, but I shy away from it because I figure taking the break of the green out of play leaves one less variable to worry about.

Bk

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Barbajo, you're obviously a consistent ball striker & I think of my former teacher(he passed last year & worked under Harvey Penick for seven years), who used 12 hdcp as the "line"...Since most guys @ this point spend about 75 to 90% of their practice time on full swings, he would say to reverse it...Spend 75-90% of your practice time on short game/putting & 10-25% on full swing...The drop from 10-12 down to low-mid single digits takes short game, short game, short game(putting included)...You're at the door..Kick it in!...The Best...Fairways & Greens 4ever...

You nailed my practice routine to a T - 75% full swing, 25% chipping/putting. I'd say about 10% of the full swing practice time is 120yd and in shots -- getting those dialed in better, but that chipping/putting practice ratio needs to be improved!

What did Hogan say, "dig it out of the dirt...."

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I had what would be called the Dave Peltz clock method. Let's say 7:30. 9:00 10:30 12:00 club head position. And accelerate through the ball finishing the reciprocal of where you started. With 7 different clubs I had 28 different yardages I could hit 65 yards 60* @ 10:30, or 70 yards PW @ 9:00 or 75 yards 56* @ 10:30, etc.....now I play more by feel. But still use this as a guide line. But instead of hop and stop it is more roll out.

I find that it is more difficult to do the hop and stop now that I trap the ball. It certainly does not roll a long way but 10 feet is forever in a putt.

I'm sure everyone agrees that we should spend more time practicing the short game. I would like to practice chipping and pitching more, but the courses I play don't have good short game practice areas. I can pitch and chip to the putting green, but I can't easily reproduce the variety of short shots that I face when I play.

I know of one course in the area that has a series of three greens with slopes, bunkers, and mounds devoted to short game practice. It's the only true short game practice area I know of where you can really work on the entire short game. But this is at an elite, private club. Of all the courses I've played over the years, it's the only course that I can think of that has a quality short game practice area. Most courses just can't devote the resources for this. For most of us, the only choices are to play a lot, or practice on the course when no one else is playing. And the times when you can practice on the course without interruption are limited.

I think these difficulties are why most of us either practice full shots or practice putting. And putting practice is not very popular for most golfers. You have to be really dedicated to practice the short game.

lets look at Mr. Langer hitting a low spinner. The things to point out is stance width, ball position, backswing length, release.

--> clean grooves, obviously needed to spin a shot

--> ball position at the chin in the stance

--> stance width is narrower and weight pre-loaded on the front leg (about 70-30 or 80-20)

--> face is slightly open maybe 1 - 2* at address

--> backswing is to about 7 o'clock position, looks like a good wrist set

--> accelerate down into the back of the ball tapping it taking just a little divot

--> hold off the release a little, some people like to chicken wing the hold off and get hands low and shaft low to get the ball flight as low as possible, a little higher slight would be in the video below where there is a little release.

--> notice that Mr. Langer just mostly turns through the shot with the upper body no real wrist manipulation at all.

here is a video of Mr. Langer showing us the low spinner.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

lets look at Mr. Langer hitting a low spinner. The things to point out is stance width, ball position, backswing length, release.

--> clean grooves, obviously needed to spin a shot

--> ball position at the chin in the stance

--> stance width is narrower and weight pre-loaded on the front leg (about 70-30 or 80-20)

--> face is slightly open maybe 1 - 2* at address

--> backswing is to about 7 o'clock position, looks like a good wrist set

--> accelerate down into the back of the ball tapping it taking just a little divot

--> hold off the release a little, some people like to chicken wing the hold off and get hands low and shaft low to get the ball flight as low as possible, a little higher slight would be in the video below where there is a little release.

--> notice that Mr. Langer just mostly turns through the shot with the upper body no real wrist manipulation at all.

here is a video of Mr. Langer showing us the low spinner.

Looks so simple! Have pulled this shot off a few times using my 54* Eidelon wedge -- perfect for this type of shot. Excellent example to follow!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My Sand Wedge is my most used club in my bag. When I begin on the range, the first 20 balls or so are on the SW trying to hit assorted targets at assorted distances up to about 50 yards. After I've used up my allowance and hopefully being already warmed up, I hit full shots for another 10 or 20 balls but space these with comfort shots at assorted distances short of my full. I'm pretty much trying to feel my comfort zone with the SW for assorted distances and specific targets. When I have used up my allowance there, or feel satisfied that all is well, I move on to the Pitching Wedge and again work distances at my max and short of it including overlaps with the SW.Beyond that, I work on my swing or specific clubs.

I reserve my last 20 balls for the SW, winding down by hitting targets at and inside of 50 yards until I have run out of balls.

My practice routine uses a lot of balls but gives me the added benefit of knowing I have already learned and practiced all the distances inside my wedges. When confronted with those short game shots, it's just a matter of choosing my target landing and giving an allowance for expected roll outs and slope. I only look at carry on the range and hit the fairways cold for roll outs and backspin. I rely on reading the fairways for the shots I think I can handle and do the hero thing only at desperate need in a tourney, but practice it more often in practice rounds or casual games. I figure I have a pretty good start if I can hit my landings with reasonable accuracy.

Shambles

Kind of luck with the range I usually go to here. They have 2 greens set up with signs that say no shots over 50 yds. I spend the first half hour of each session hitting at one of those, shag the balls and then hit the whole bucket at the full length range. If it weren't for that my short game would be a hell of a lot worse than it already is. Probably wouldn't hurt me to spend some quality time with my putter as well as that's what's killed a lot of my recent rounds but I'm hoping a change in flatsticks will get a little of the confidence back.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I have preached to anyone who'll listen: if you can break 90, you can generally hit the ball where you want it to go. Once you break 90, spend 75-90% of your practice on chipping, putting, and sand play. That is where most shots are lost. After that, only drivers on the range. The rest will fall in to place.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

The 9 o'clock half speed swing is an absolute "go to" shot for me. I bring my hands back to the 9 o'clock position and then swing through but a nice half speed swing or so. This is my have to get it close go to swing. 56* wedge goes 75 yards, 51* goes 85, PW goes 100 and today i used the 9 iron @ 110 and and the 8 @ 122. In both cases I was in a must win situation, where (while playing wolf) the other team had one very close to the flag and I needed to get inside them. So instead of hitting a wedge and trying to take some off, I hit these other irons and got it to 5 feet with the 8 iron and less than a foot with the 9 iron.

I have practiced this shot with all the way up to a 5 iron and it is a tool that is devistating to the competion. There is nothing worse than hitting a ball to about 8 feet from the flag, thinking you have an easy birdie opportunity and then having your competitor stick one half way closer to the hole. Now, all of a sudden your "easy" birdie has turned in to a must make 8 footer to tie. B)

I putted horribly today and we were playing 6 man wolf. I hit all my other clubs great but had several 4 putts, people kept picking me to be on their team. Especially, if they had hit a good drive. Finally, I said, "What is the deal with you people picking me? Can't you see I can not putt today?" One guy said, "I am not expecting you to win the hole for me. I just don't want you to take the win away from me by hitting it in the hole from off the green." I also had several birdies today. I either won the hole or lost the hole, I could not tie a hole. Well over half my shots were putts today. Shot like an 84 with 44 putts.:angry:

You guys give solid advice. Won closest to the pin at today's tournement - pitching wedge to 9 inches for $100!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I spent about 75% of my time at the range today just working on half and 3/4 swings with my wedges and up thru my 7 iron after reading thru this post yesterday. Quite possibly the most productive round I've had in a while and may change the entire practice process for me. I'm actually considering changing my golf practice to somewhat mirror my workouts. When lifting weights you never work the whole body in one session, you break it up by muscle groups. I don't know why it never occured to me to do the same with my swing. Wedges and short irons MWF and longer irons Tues and Woods and putting on Thurs. We'll see how this works.

I have preached to anyone who'll listen: if you can break 90, you can generally hit the ball where you want it to go. Once you break 90, spend 75-90% of your practice on chipping, putting, and sand play. That is where most shots are lost. After that, only drivers on the range. The rest will fall in to place.

Well said HighFade, Assume that you hit 10 GIR pretty good iron player, that leaves 8 up and downs to master a round. If you miss all 8 that's an 80, if you 3 putt two holes on top of that 82, toss in 1 or 2 penalty strokes from the tee and well now you in the high 80s without blinking an eye.

I think that kind of goes back to my 'top 5 score killers' and having putting / wedges in the top 2 spots.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I spent about 75% of my time at the range today just working on half and 3/4 swings with my wedges and up thru my 7 iron after reading thru this post yesterday. Quite possibly the most productive round I've had in a while and may change the entire practice process for me. I'm actually considering changing my golf practice to somewhat mirror my workouts. When lifting weights you never work the whole body in one session, you break it up by muscle groups. I don't know why it never occured to me to do the same with my swing. Wedges and short irons MWF and longer irons Tues and Woods and putting on Thurs. We'll see how this works.

Have you all ever tried or used 'the 100 yard drill' not sure if that is the real name of it. The concept is hitting every club in the bag to land at 100 yards. IF you wanted to make it slightly more challenging get every club to STOP at 100 yards or a set distance.

Things like 'low under the tree but have to carry the bunker and have it stop kinda fast how would i pull that off?' then just try different clubs to a distance to get the correct combo.

Have you all ever tried or used 'the 100 yard drill' not sure if that is the real name of it. The concept is hitting every club in the bag to land at 100 yards. IF you wanted to make it slightly more challenging get every club to STOP at 100 yards or a set distance.

Things like 'low under the tree but have to carry the bunker and have it stop kinda fast how would i pull that off?' then just try different clubs to a distance to get the correct combo.

Looks like I've got some new homework courtesy of Professor Miller. This is gonna be a lot harder and require a lot more creativity that it seems at first glance isn't it? Guess I know what's on tap for my next range session. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always looking to hear how others practice and see what works and what doesn't. And changing things up with drills like you've suggested definitely help keep the excitement and motivation up.

I usually play everyday, but on most days it is most convenient to get there around 3 o'clock. This is not a good time for most people so I end up playing by myself. I typically will tee off with two balls still in my pocket. I will play my drive, and then after my approach shot, while going up to the green I will drop the other two at different places and go ahead and chip and pitch and putt them out. So I get an extra opportunity to work on my short game. I sometimes have specific things to work on so I do not drop them in easy spots.

Looks like I've got some new homework courtesy of Professor Miller. This is gonna be a lot harder and require a lot more creativity that it seems at first glance isn't it? Guess I know what's on tap for my next range session. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always looking to hear how others practice and see what works and what doesn't. And changing things up with drills like you've suggested definitely help keep the excitement and motivation up.

I didn't pull that one out of my butt lol, I'm not the only person that has suggested it and used it, it increases feel and creativity. Yes, it is a ton harder then it sounds... I don't go to the extent of hitting a putter, or a driver but I will use all the other 12 clubs in my bag. The longer ones are the harder ones, you'll find at about 7 iron it starts getting tricky.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/mental-game/flick_gd0808

I hadn't heard of that before, it's kind of a neat idea.

I can practice up to 75 yards in my backyard, so I've just been practicing partial wedge shots. I'm going to start using more clubs.

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Personally, I think hitting anything inside of a hundred yards with one, two or even three clubs will serve better than hitting a hundred yards with any club in the bag. It isn't all that often you get exactly or close enough to a hundred yards to the green.

I do like the exercise as it's another way of learning your clubs and your swing. Anything to break the monotony of practice sessions. However I truly believe it is an advantage to have a club that you are confident to be able to hit any distance within range of that club more often than you miss. Of course, being able to do this with your whole bag is better but that's already pro and high amateur level.

Shambles

Personally, I think hitting anything inside of a hundred yards with one, two or even three clubs will serve better than hitting a hundred yards with any club in the bag. It isn't all that often you get exactly or close enough to a hundred yards to the green.

I do like the exercise as it's another way of learning your clubs and your swing. Anything to break the monotony of practice sessions. However I truly believe it is an advantage to have a club that you are confident to be able to hit any distance within range of that club more often than you miss. Of course, being able to do this with your whole bag is better but that's already pro and high amateur level.

Shambles

Really the idea is to have a goal specific shot on the range (extremely important to practice every shot with a goal and target in mind on the range). It also helps develop feel for partial swings and distance control. Plus it is just fun and a little bit of showing off to your friends when they ask about your '100 yard club' :lol:

I agree with you that 95% of my shots from 50 to 125 yards and is are covered by one of my 4 wedges I carry (60*, 56*, 52* 47*). 1 - 50 yards I use anything from 60* to 19* hybrid to try and get up and down depends on the situation and how much carry I need / green to work with.

The other 5% for my 50 - 125 yard shots are situational... head winds, under trees, something that needs a 'specialty shot', that's when the 9 - 4 metal in my bag might get busted out depending on carry and roll combination + trajectory I want.

Guess I should have clarified that before as to what the drill is for but figure it might be covered in the Golf Digest link I posted. This is not a jmiller065 original drill been around for years.

The Driver and Putter thing to 100 yards is just a pure show off move honestly you would never do this on the course I wouldn't think, but in the big break i did see one guy putt from like 30 yards off the green and get it to about 2 feet, whatever works i guess.

Johnny Miller 100 yard drill --> http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/mental-game/flick_gd0808

Picked up piece from "The Wedge Guy" on the low spinner...

http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/golf+instruction/5-5769-The_Low_Chip_With_Spin.html

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived