Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Played my first round with my "new" FT-9

For years I had stayed away from purchasing any Callaway products, which I guess is a little odd considering FIGJAM is my favorite golfer. I think the main reason is their stuff tends to fall on the more expensive side when new and only recently has stuff hit the grey market that I'm interested in.

One such item was the Callway FT-9 iMIX driver. I recently got a great deal on one with a Grafalloy Axis Blue shaft and took it out today for the first time for 18 holes. All I can say is "Wow". I'm still not sure I'm getting optimal launch with the Graffaloy shaft, but I hit some landing zones on the course I had never reached before. Call it a work in progress. The great thing now is I can start switching out shafts to fine tune things knowing the head is a beast. Highly recommended if you haven't tried one yet.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Like the iMix concept -- and you can find some pretty amazing deals on them these days.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I loved the FT9 and the iMix concept. I wish that there was a universal bolt on shaft mounting system for all brands of drivers. Also, the FT9 is an awesome driver.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I found today on the range that the sweet spot seems to be high on the face. I got much better distance when I teed it high and let it fly. Is this why so many used FT-9's have paint chips along the top line?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I found today on the range that the sweet spot seems to be high on the face. I got much better distance when I teed it high and let it fly. Is this why so many used FT-9's have paint chips along the top line?

No, the location of the sweet spot has nothing to do with the paint chips along the top line. I left sky marks and paint chips on my FT9 more times than I care to admit and the sweet spot was not even close to the crown. :P

I guess the sweet spot like everything else in golf depends on your swing. I thought the sweet spot was middle height byt a 1/2" outside with a slightly accending blow, but I have not hit it since March and may be wrong. I paint filled the bottom of mine with pink paint, stuck Fubuki shaft in it and added a pink grip and my wife loves it.

Just put mine back in the bag this morning. I have an 8.5· shafted with a Fuji Zcom 65x.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

You should hit the RAZR Fit... ;)

Dave, I have the Razr Fit, and absolutely love it. I am much longer with it but I attribute that to the shaft that actually fits my swing for the first time ever. I did the adjustment thing when I first got it, but honestly, the whole adjustable hosel thing to me is the equivalent to buying the FT9 vs FT9 Tour. And the weight system is buying the Neutral vs the Draw. Yes, I have it set at the open position and the weights adjusted to I think a draw weighting, but the ball still goes where I want it, well, left to right or right to left depending on my set up. BUT my question is, is the Razr Fit a better driver than the FT9?

Because this shaft is so much better than any of the other 15 shafts I tried, I can not honestly compare the two heads. But I have no intention of going back to the FT9.

I used to hit many fairways with my Ft-9, I just couldn't find a shaft that I could get the right distance out of; I'll settle for 275 in the fairway, but the 260s was way too short.

275? Man I wish I still lived in Indiana - I used to hit them that far when I lived there - oh wait I was also 12 years younger. :angry:

Oh well I'm straighter because at 250 the ball stays in the fairway and I've gotten better with my longer clubs into the green.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I hope that this isn't too far OT, & if it is, my apologies, however I just got a call & I have the opportunity to pick up a brand new, never hit FT Tour w/Ozik XCon 6.1 S(I Love this shaft!) for $100...I'm gonna do it just for the shaft, though my Razr Hawk Tour is the back up to my I20...Never hit FT Tour...

How's it stack up to Razr Hawk Tour?...Thanx much...Fairways & Greens 4ever....

I think the FT Tour will have a smaller head and more traditional shape. I'd imagine it's a bit less forgiving due to the smaller face and lower MOI but if you're a low handicapper who makes solid contact more often than not then that won't be a concern.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Well, still loving the FT-9. It's consistently 10-15 yards longer than my Cleveland DST with much tighter dispersion.

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I don't think I was playing with a stiff enough shaft in the Launcher. But, I also think I was more inconsistent with it because it had a lighter club head and longer shaft. I know that's Cleveland's thing now (lighter weight to generate more club head speed and longer shaft to add distance), but I think it hurt me more than helped.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

A2G, do you have the regular DST or the tour head?.....I hit the Tour for bout 1/2 season & then this past year hit the 290 & 310 and I thought the DST Tour was a better driver..For me, much hotter face....Fairways & Greens 4ever....

I had the regular DST. Didn't even know they had a tour version in that club.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived