Garmin S70 Golf GPS Watch - 2023 Forum Review

On 4/13/2024 at 9:08 AM, rkj427 said:

Question for the testers here, as I have both a S62 and an Epix that I use while out on the course.

Not so much an issue with the watch themselves, but when you download the information to the Garmin Connect feature where the scorecard data and hole and shots are recorded.

I run into this scenario and wondered if any other have seen it too?

Par 3 hole at my regular course, yardage by both the range finder and watch typically shows somewhere between 150 - 160 yards depending upon pin location.

When I complete the round, save the data but then sync the watch and data using the Garmin app on the computer, it typically shows yardages as less than originally measured?

Usually 138 - 146 yards on "scorecard data" versus what was originally seen while out on the course.

Will also have incorrect yardage data on some other holes too, both par 4's and par 5's afterwards.

Wondering if it may be a watch issue or something with the GPS information itself.

I've honestly never even paid that close of attention. I will next time I play a round, though. I have noticed differences on distance when comparing the watch to the distance shown on scorecards and even the sign at the tee box of holes. I have more confidence in what the watch shows in that case since tees move slightly over time.

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

• 1 month later...

The Garmin App and S70 Watch present numerous frustrations after just 1 week of usage due to its limitations in functionality and data management. Let's delve deeper into the issues outlined:

Garmin App:

Shot Management: The app restricts users from deleting, adding, or reviewing shots until the scorecard is saved, making it challenging to accurately track crucial details such as yardage, club selection, and shot locations during gameplay. This restriction severely hampers the ability to maintain an accurate record of performance throughout the round.

Midgame Scorecard Save: Saving the scorecard midgame to access shot details results in the premature end of the round, effectively treating it as a new game. This creates incomplete rounds that do not contribute to overall statistics, which is frustrating when seeking comprehensive performance tracking.

Flag Location Adjustment: Users are unable to adjust the flag location on the app during editing or zoom in, which limits the accuracy of shot analysis and evaluation of performance on the course.

Customization Limitations: The absence of an Approach wedge in the "My bag" feature and the inability to customize loft settings for specific clubs restrict users from accurately reflecting their equipment and preferences within the app.

S70 Watch:

Real-Time Location Tracking: The watch lacks a GPS ping feature to show users their current location in relation to the course map layout, making it difficult to pinpoint shots, putts, and flag locations accurately. This absence undermines the utility of the device for users seeking detailed performance analysis during gameplay.

Shot History Viewing: Users cannot review previous shots or putts on the map layout, depriving them of valuable insights into their performance and shot placement throughout the round.

CT10 Sensor Functionality: While putting with a CT10 sensor, users do not need to manually enter data, but this can lead to inaccurate inputs if putts are not registered. The inability to review and edit shot information until after the round further exacerbates this issue, leaving users uncertain about the accuracy of their putting data.

Yardage Input: The watch lacks the capability to input or view hole yardage on the scorecard, which is essential information when reviewing date post game.

Pin Location Adjustment: Adjustments made to the pin location during gameplay do not seem to save on the map layout when reviewing performance in the app, leading to discrepancies in shot analysis and putt counts.

Menu Customization: Users cannot reorganize the order of menu options for quicker accessibility, which may lead to frustration and inefficiency during use on the course.

Club Stats Review: The inability to cycle through each club in "club stats" quickly limits users' ability to review average club hit distances efficiently, detracting from the overall user experience.

There is the potential for improvement with software updates or additional features that address these concerns. However, as it stands, the limitations of both the Garmin App and S70 Watch make it hard to digest the price tag they put on these products. I've spent over $1100 CDN and feel like all I got was a cheap, gimmicky phone app on a smart watch.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2023 at 5:49 PM, Brad F said:

Hi guys,

I have this watch and I'm absolutely loving it so far.

I wonder if anyone can help though; after you've played 4/5 rounds it has learned your distances and makes club recommendations. 

Does it continue to track distances and change its recommendations after this initial learning period?  Say if your swing gets better and are hitting further or put a new wood in rhe bag which you are longer with.

I wasn't sure if it continues to track distance and update its recommendations over time or if learns initially and then stops?

https://rockatship.com/

Looking forward to hearing what others think of it!

I currently have an Apple Watch SE. I've had it for close to 4 years and the battery is starting to go. I get maybe 10-12 hours out of it before it hits 10% and needs to charge. I have been eyeing the Garmin Approach S62 and S70 watches. Almost everything a Garmin Fenix or Instinct does but it also has golf GPS built in. Anybody use the S62 or S70 watches? Likes, dislikes, any other options you would look at? I am looking for a more all in one watch for everything I do.

Edited by sammcneill

57 minutes ago, sammcneill said:

I currently have an Apple Watch SE. I've had it for close to 4 years and the battery is starting to go. I get maybe 10-12 hours out of it before it hits 10% and needs to charge. I have been eyeing the Garmin Approach S62 and S70 watches. Almost everything a Garmin Fenix or Instinct does but it also has golf GPS built in. Anybody use the S62 or S70 watches? Likes, dislikes, any other options you would look at? I am looking for a more all in one watch for everything I do.

Pop over to the current 2024 review of the S70 -  I'm old school so posting the link is above my pay grade. 🙂

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

55 minutes ago, sammcneill said:

I'm approaching 1 year with the S70 and absolutely love it. There has been no noticeable decline in performance. I have run multiple half marathons and a full marathon, as well as all my training runs. I really like how versatile the Garmin data is and how it can feed into a lot of other fitness apps. There are some quirks to it but nothing overly disappointing. However, the guys who got to test the watch this year also had the sensors and from the sound of it, the sensors have been a bit disappointing.

Do you have any features you're particularly interested in?

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

1 hour ago, sammcneill said:

Hi @sammcneill this entire thread is devoted to the review of the Approach S70 watch.  Please feel free to read through the thread for our opinions.  You can also go to the first page of the thread to get a cliff notes version that summarizes all of our opinions.  Feel free to ask us any specific questions you might have!

Driver: Ping G425 Max
3 Wood: Ping G400
3 Hybrid: Cobra King Tec
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: PXG Sugar Daddy II 0311 Xtreme Dark C-Grind
Putter: L.A.B. DF3

On 7/19/2024 at 7:33 PM, sammcneill said:

Just FYI- the Fenix 7 does have golf/virtual caddy/hole maps. The Fenix has the MIP display, while the S70 has AMOLED. The Instinct 2 and the Instinct Crossover do track your golf data. They do not have course maps, nor do they have the caddy, but they will give you distances to F/M/B while playing and they will track shots that you can later review on the Garmin golf app and/or the website.

On 7/19/2024 at 8:31 PM, revkev said:

Pop over to the current 2024 review of the S70 -  I'm old school so posting the link is above my pay grade. 🙂

There's the link!

On 7/19/2024 at 9:06 PM, FallenSaber said:

However, the guys who got to test the watch this year also had the sensors and from the sound of it, the sensors have been a bit disappointing.

Yes, a couple of guys have had problems with the sensors because they didn't work with the type of grips they had. I have Golfpride grips and the sensors have worked well for me. The only problem I've had is that my bag doesn't have individual sleeves for each clubs, so when the grips of the clubs get tangled up at the bottom of the bag the sensors can get pulled out slightly. I've turned it into part of my pre-shot routine; pull the club, check the sensor/make sure it's secured, and then setup to hit.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

For what it's worth, I still love my watch and can't imagine not having it. I wish there were more courses around here that had the green reading abilities, that's something I've had very little time with compared to everything else.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: Cobra RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5°
Fairway: Callaway Paradym 3HL 16.5°
Utility: Callaway Apex UW 19°
4 Hybrid: Cobra KING LTDx 21°
Irons: New Level 480-TC (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)
Wedges: Edison Golf 2.0 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter: L.A.B. Golf DF3 34"/67°
Ball: Maxfli Tour (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

I'm finding that as I play more and more rounds club selection suggestions are getting more accurate. At first there were too many outlier shots to really trust what Lady G was giving me. For instance, there was a day where I was smashing my 9 iron; carrying it 160 a few shots in a row; so for the next few weeks Lady G was making suggestions based on that information and I basically had to ignore what it was saying at less than 150 yards. After many more rounds it's making better selections but I don't 100% trust it.

Last night at League I was standing over a 146 yard tee shot on a Par 3, Lady G says to hit 9 iron. I check the wind on my watch and it's blowing into my face a 4mph and, because this a hole where I usually hit 8i and you don't want to come up short, so I hit the 8. Naturally when I take an extra club I relax, don't try to kill the ball, and pured it....160 yards, right over the green.

IMG_5716.PNG.c6d52ba851360844c80a75982c4225a1.PNG

Which leads me to say that having the sensors on the club so that you can easily and quickly pull up a picture of how you played a hole is super cool. My friends are getting tired of me sending them pix that verify my claims of titanic drives and heroic up & downs. 

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm at the 1 year mark with the Garmin S70 approach. The watch has held up incredibly well. You can handle tell it's been worn for the past year. One might ask what did I put this watch through for the past year. Here are the numbers:

Running Stats

- Distance: 444.1 miles

- Ascent: 22,414 ft

- Time: 87:29:23

Total Steps: 3,850,144

Total miles covered: 2,018.5

Total ascent: 7,323 floors (73,230 ft; Garmin measures ascent in floors and each floor is considered 10 ft.)

Countries visited: 13 (including the US)

# of 18 hole rounds: 5

# of 9 hole rounds: 8

# of incomplete rounds: 3

Some 1 year anniversary thoughts. I'm still very honored and feel incredibly lucky to have tested this watch. Its been instrumental in my golf game and me completing my first marathon. This watch has been incredibly impressive and has become an intregal part of my training routine. While I have been immensely impressed with the watch, it certainly has its faults, though not many. It does not seem to accurately account for floors climbed. I'll knowingly climb more flights of stairs than it accounts for. The charging is wonderful, however, the proprietary nature of the charging system makes thing difficult. I lived in Bosnia for 3 months and found only one store that had a Garmin charger when I needed to replace one that was lost. Garmin also does not seem to account for rounds that are ended early. I had two rounds end due to the sunsetting and one end because my house alarm was going off and my wife thought someone might have broken in. Thankfully, just a false alarm.)

As far as the system goes, I've had some minor hiccups related to syncing from the phone to the watch. My watch will say sync fail for half a second then reconnect. I only know this because it tells me this. I've also had some issues where the watch will randomly disconnect from the phone then automatically reconnect. It's never been a true issue but an observation.

So how does it look after 1 year with no alternatives? Overall, it looks really good! Some mine wear and tear on the bracelet but not too bad.

20240811_185522.jpg.695f225d0c4e7bde6554aa18f64b9372.jpg20240811_185526.jpg.05c0393fc7582b394b7bd0e4a4da7156.jpg20240811_185519.jpg.9d5d563fc0c8c1580004fed5124db8ee.jpg20240811_185516.jpg.11ad7f676ce55fe77e74ed31c391bcd6.jpg

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm