TESTERS WANTED! ×

Counterfeit Club (VIDEO)

GolfSpy_X

Do any of yo guys know how fakes preform? Will you get good distance out of one?

I used a counterfeit for a number of years. I knew it was counterfeit when I bought it but back then I foolishly believed clubs were that simple. Essentially, I found that there was only one way to use that club for one shot. The performance didn't allow for much variance in shot making though I managed to make that one shot reasonable.

I subsequently bought and used the genuine article and it was literally like night and day. I could now perform a variety of shots with the same club and it became very useful.

When I think about all the time and money I wasted on that counterfeit I feel really bad about myself.

Shambles

• SPY VIP

I used a counterfeit for a number of years. I knew it was counterfeit when I bought it but back then I foolishly believed clubs were that simple. Essentially, I found that there was only one way to use that club for one shot. The performance didn't allow for much variance in shot making though I managed to make that one shot reasonable.

I subsequently bought and used the genuine article and it was literally like night and day. I could now perform a variety of shots with the same club and it became very useful.

When I think about all the time and money I wasted on that counterfeit I feel really bad about myself.

Shambles

Which club was it, if you care to share?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Which club was it, if you care to share?

It was the original warbird model back in the early 90's. I think I still have the head somewhere around as I am not in the habit of selling my old clubs, but I might have given it to someone I didn't like. :huh:

Frankly, everytime I tried out a set of counterfeits they proved difficult to use. I've never had one break on me but they really made golf more difficult.

Shambles

• SPY VIP

It was the original warbird model back in the early 90's. I think I still have the head somewhere around as I am not in the habit of selling my old clubs, but I might have given it to someone I didn't like. :)

Frankly, everytime I tried out a set of counterfeits they proved difficult to use. I've never had one break on me but they really made golf more difficult.

Shambles

Did you ever try the a fake putter? I am curious how different the low impact club would feel.

Volvo Intorqueo

I have also heard rumors of factories running in the "off" hours to produce the fakes. Watching this video makes me think that the fakes would be better.

At the time, I was playing a certain collectible card game (the outing as a total nerd continues).

Pokemon? I hope that was a while ago...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Mizuno!?! Why don't you just stick the dagger in and twist it too! Do any of them make their way to the US?

Anything that is high end will be copied. Margins are higher that way. Pings are heavily copied also.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

It was the original warbird model back in the early 90's. I think I still have the head somewhere around as I am not in the habit of selling my old clubs, but I might have given it to someone I didn't like. :)

Shambles

They probably are just made so poorly that they are not concerned with consistency across the face, plus the shaft is probably terrible.

I learned a long time ago that the internet is a cesspool when it comes to buying anything. As a Callaway player, I only buy direct from either Callaway or Callaway Preowned. There are tons and tons of fakes everywhere these days and I wouldn't think of sending my hard earned money to anyone I don't know or trust. It is, and has been buyer beware when it comes to online purchasing.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

• SPY VIP

Pokemon? I hope that was a while ago...

I thought the CCg comment may have slipped through. No, Magic, The Gathering. I actually sold the whole collection to fund start-up costs for golf.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I learned a long time ago that the internet is a cesspool when it comes to buying anything. As a Callaway player, I only buy direct from either Callaway or Callaway Preowned. There are tons and tons of fakes everywhere these days and I wouldn't think of sending my hard earned money to anyone I don't know or trust. It is, and has been buyer beware when it comes to online purchasing.

I love to buy online, but the more I learn about this stuff, the more I think that I am starting to agree with you. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

I buy online, but only from the big boys, TGW, Golfsmith, Rockbottom, etc. I refuse to buy something that is too good to be true.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Do any of yo guys know how fakes preform? Will you get good distance out of one?

Total pot-luck....you may get something that's decent to ok, or you may get something that's entirely a piece of junk and not worth a pile of mud. Thing is....no matter what you get, it's not gonna be warrantied or backed by any company...and you most certainly paid too much for it and got ripped off.

• SPY VIP

Total pot-luck....you may get something that's decent to ok, or you may get something that's entirely a piece of junk and not worth a pile of mud. Thing is....no matter what you get, it's not gonna be warrantied or backed by any company...and you most certainly paid too much for it and got ripped off.

But on the plus side your now broken club was cheaper than a real one. (kidding)

But if you paid real price and then found out it was fake, that is lame.

Volvo Intorqueo

I thought the CCg comment may have slipped through. No, Magic, The Gathering. I actually sold the whole collection to fund start-up costs for golf.

You should have known you'd never get that by me. Well, you are heading in the right direction so I won't worry about staging an intervention at this time. :D

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I buy online, but only from the big boys, TGW, Golfsmith, Rockbottom, etc. I refuse to buy something that is too good to be true.

Makes you wonder though if some of the fakes are that good.. would even they catch it?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I've made two trips in Beijing in the last several years and visited the Silk Market there. I was shocked at the racks and bins of counterfeit clubs being sold out in the open. All the high end manufacturers were "represented". Most of the fakes were easy to spot - colors or graphics were slightly off. Others were spot on appearance-wise but the weight was off.

I will try to take some pictures next time I'm there.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

You should have known you'd never get that by me. Well, you are heading in the right direction so I won't worry about staging an intervention at this time. :)

It did feel a lot less nerdy when they handed me $2G in cash. :huh:

I've made two trips in Beijing in the last several years and visited the Silk Market there. I was shocked at the racks and bins of counterfeit clubs being sold out in the open. All the high end manufacturers were "represented". Most of the fakes were easy to spot - colors or graphics were slightly off. Others were spot on appearance-wise but the weight was off.

This would be very cool. I have heard stories from my parents and others about what the markets look like. It would be nice to see first hand from a golfer's eye though. You would know what to shoot.

Get on that plane asap. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

And all just waiting to find their way to ebay.

Did you ever try the a fake putter? I am curious how different the low impact club would feel.

Sorry, I've only just found this thread again. :rolleyes:

I've never really gotten along with new putters. They have so many graphics. I have used very cheap simple putters that were sold as cheap putters and they sometimes worked reasonably and most times worked badly. Loft and balance do count. These days I am using an old Titleist Acushnet Bullseye made of brass. It suits my hand, is very easy to point and takes up very little space in the bag.

Shambles

Makes you wonder though if some of the fakes are that good.. would even they catch it?

I think it's not so much that the fakes are well made beyond appearance or graphics. It's that people who buy them would too often be beginners who don't know any better but are willing to work very hard at learning. Nothing really works well when you are a total new guy. What does happen though is when you use a counterfeit or even just a look alike, learning the game becomes even more difficult because the shafts look the same but aren't, the lofts are not right, the lie is wrong or all of the above. The total new guy is the common victim for fakes because he really does not know what a good club would feel and play like.

Shambles

With all of the U.S. companies using China, and other countries to manufacture their clubs some of the fakes go out the back door of the contractors. They may be overruns, or head/shafts that did not meet specifcations. I have seen some that work very well. The Ping G15 irons were available through China before they were in the U.S. Why, because they got the design from Ping so they could manufacture themn. The companies that OEM hires have a big back door, much goes out that should not.

Years ago Taiwan was making Ping knockoffs, they were terrible and usually would break or bend quickly. Not so today, many clones are made well, and of course are cheaper because some legitimate company did the heavy work of designing, advertising, and the technology.

With all of the U.S. companies using China, and other countries to manufacture their clubs some of the fakes go out the back door of the contractors. They may be overruns, or head/shafts that did not meet specifcations. I have seen some that work very well. The Ping G15 irons were available through China before they were in the U.S. Why, because they got the design from Ping so they could manufacture themn. The companies that OEM hires have a big back door, much goes out that should not.

Years ago Taiwan was making Ping knockoffs, they were terrible and usually would break or bend quickly. Not so today, many clones are made well, and of course are cheaper because some legitimate company did the heavy work of designing, advertising, and the technology.

Like buying a pig in a poke.....you take your chances.

Not for me.

Archived