Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

DIY - Custom Putter Finish

• SPY VIP

DIY - Custom Putter Finish

Written By: (MyGolfSpy Reader)

This article will explain how to put a custom color finish on your putter using automotive paints. Make your putter truly your own!

Materials Needed

• Can of Dupli-Color Sandable Primer
  • Can of Dupli-Color Automotive Paint - Color of your choice
  • Can of Dupli-Color Clear Coat Finish
  • Sand Paper - 400 grit and 1200 grit
  • Tack rag
  • Acetone
  • Epoxy
  • Heat gun
  • Masking tape
  • Nail polish

Total cost of materials will be around $60.

All materials can be found at Ace Hardware or an auto parts store

Process

1. Use a heat gun, or stovetop, to heat the area where the shaft and head meet. This will soften the epoxy that holds the shaft in place to allow you to take the head off of the shaft. Once it it loose, use an oven mitt to pull the head off the shaft. It is possible to go about this entire customization process without taking the shaft out, but that will then require clean up of excess paint on the shaft.

2. First step is to take the existing finish off of the putter. This step can be skipped if your putter has a raw finish. Start by using 400 grit sandpaper to sand down the entire surface of the putter head. The goal is to remove as much paint or powder coat as you can. it is not crucial that you get every last bit off the putter head. Follow by using 1200 grit sandpaper to smooth the surface as best you can before priming. Then take the paintfill out of the stamping on the putter. Do this by dripping acetone on the paintfill, letting it sit for a minute, then dry it off and the paintfill should be gone. Note this will not work for polymer fill. You will then want to mask off the face of the putter and any other area you do not want painted. Finally, use a tack rag to get any excess material off the putter head.

diy-1.jpeg

3. Before priming, you will need a way to mount the head. Center shafted putters will require a wooden dowel inserted into the opening. Putters with a hosel can be clamped and hung from something. Once mounted, it's time to prime. It is crucial to follow the instructions on the can of paint, for not doing so could result in fish eye or running. Cover the entire head with a light coat, let dry for an hour, then cover with two additional heavier coats. Sand the primer down with 400 grit sandpaper after the first coat, and 1200 grit sandpaper after each of the second two coats.

diy-2.jpeg

4. It's time to paint the head with your color of choice. I used white. As with the primer, start with a light coat and follow with two heavier coats. You want to be extremely careful to apply an even coat throughout the whole head. If you mess up the color coat, you must sand off the paint and start over. Do not sand the paint after each coat. Let dry for at least 8 hours after each coat.

diy-3.jpeg

Attached to the putter is a wooden dowel and in the background is a Custom White shaft ordered from Vibrant Golf.

5. (Optional) Once the paint coat is on you must go back in and apply paint fill to the stamped areas. This can be any color, different from the color you chose for the finish. VERY gently use a toothpick to fill the stamping with nail polish. You want as little excess as you possibly can, for it it very difficult to remove the excess because the acetone will damage the paint coat you already applied. if there is excess, very carefully use a toothpick dipped in acetone to scrape it off.

diy-4.jpeg

6. The final step for the head is to add the clear coat. This will make the head look shinier and will make the finish much more durable and last a lot longer. You will want at least three clear coats. Do not over apply because the clear coat is very runny. I recommend adding a touch-up clear coat after every 5 rounds.

diy-5.jpeg

The black is the original color of the face after the masking tape was removed. If there are paint marks on the face, use a cotton swab soaked in acetone to clean the face of the putter. Acetone will not damage the putter as long as you clean it off within a minute or so.

7. The last step is to reattach the shaft. You will need an epoxy designed for raw steel. Make sure to sand the hosel and / or tip of shaft before applying epoxy. I recommend JB Weld to reattach the shaft. If you are uncomfortable doing this yourself, any golf shop that does clubwork, or a Golf Golf Galaxy or similar store can reattach the shaft for you for a small charge.

diy-6.jpeg

#TruthDigest

This looks like the one I posted a long time ago on another forum, except I did mine in white polymer. Same color scheme though (I've redone that SeeMore more times that I can count).

A few tips so you don't have to sand nearly as much? Use Tal-Strip II aircraft grade coating stripper. This will melt the powdercoating on those putters in 5 minutes then all you have to do is rinse and dry and then scuff the bare metal so it'll give the paint surface to adhere to.

Paintfill on that one is a tad sloppy and I'd recommend a needle tipped bottle where you can squirt paint into the stampings and let it fill itself up, getting rid of the sloppiness.

Also, for those that live in bright sunny areas, I'd recommend using a matte paint instead of gloss as it'll create glare issues where the matte diffuses it.

Pretty good DIY, but I prefer a few different methods in some steps for cleaner finishes and easier, less labor intensive work in prep and such.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

This was not done by us this one was submitted by a MGS reader Rookie.

This looks like the one I posted a long time ago on another forum, except I did mine in white polymer. Same color scheme though (I've redone that SeeMore more times that I can count).

A few tips so you don't have to sand nearly as much? Use Tal-Strip II aircraft grade coating stripper. This will melt the powdercoating on those putters in 5 minutes then all you have to do is rinse and dry and then scuff the bare metal so it'll give the paint surface to adhere to.

Paintfill on that one is a tad sloppy and I'd recommend a needle tipped bottle where you can squirt paint into the stampings and let it fill itself up, getting rid of the sloppiness.

Also, for those that live in bright sunny areas, I'd recommend using a matte paint instead of gloss as it'll create glare issues where the matte diffuses it.

Pretty good DIY, but I prefer a few different methods in some steps for cleaner finishes and easier, less labor intensive work in prep and such.

#TruthDigest

I knew it was reader submitted. Just offering some tips to those that may be reading as I've refinished those putters a BUNCH

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 9 years later...