Tall Golfers: Fitted for Wedges?

MH15

Hey All,

New to the community, happy to be here! I had a (potentially really dumb) question that I thought might be fitted for this forum - do any of you taller golfers get your wedges extended? I have read conflicting reviews online.

I am looking into getting some new wedges, as I currently only have a serviceable Gap Wedge in the bag. Full swing, I hit that about 110 yds for reference. I am 6'6" and have an inch extension on all my other (very outdated) irons. I do not have a lot of finesse around the green, meaning I'm not hitting Phil-esque flops or tossing tons of spin on anything if that helps. I was curious to see opinions on if I could buy any wedge I like off the shelf, or if this was something I should look into getting personalized.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

TL,DR; For taller people - do wedges require the same amount of length customization as irons? 

D : Cobra LTDx Max

FW : Stealth 3 Fairway + Big Bertha #7 Hybrid (lol, I know)

Irons : Too Old (Cobra AMP Cell 4-GW)

Wedges : Need Some Recs! Cobra AMP Cell GW Wilson Harmonized 56

Putter : Huntington Beach Soft 11

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Read my 2023 Titleist White Box Review!

43 minutes ago, MH15 said:

Hey All,

New to the community, happy to be here! I had a (potentially really dumb) question that I thought might be fitted for this forum - do any of you taller golfers get your wedges extended? I have read conflicting reviews online.

I am looking into getting some new wedges, as I currently only have a serviceable Gap Wedge in the bag. Full swing, I hit that about 110 yds for reference. I am 6'6" and have an inch extension on all my other (very outdated) irons. I do not have a lot of finesse around the green, meaning I'm not hitting Phil-esque flops or tossing tons of spin on anything if that helps. I was curious to see opinions on if I could buy any wedge I like off the shelf, or if this was something I should look into getting personalized.

TL,DR; For taller people - do wedges require the same amount of length customization as irons? 

Given how often most golfers play wedges vs single irons I would definitely recommend doing a proper fit. At 6'6 good chance you would be fit into something longer than standard as well as an adjusted lie angle. 

I am going to tag @Indi Golf here as they recently did a wedge testing opp for us and off some virtual fittings of sorts. As they are experts in wedges I think they may have a better or more in depth answer to offer. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

48 minutes ago, MH15 said:

Hey All,

Welcome and great question. I am not tall just an average 5’ 10”. However, I play with a good buddy that is 6’ 6”. He was fitted and his wedges are extended and 2 degrees upright. I recommend a good wedge fitting. 

Play like a champion today!

I am 6'4", fitted for my wedges from the Cobra challenge and am +1" and 3* upright. Same specs as my irons and has been working out well recently as I've gotten more acclimated to the clubs.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

1 hour ago, MH15 said:

Hey All,

As a Professional Clubfitter who has done thousands of fittings over the last 34 years, I offer the following advice on this subject: see a fitter and get fitted for your wedges. If you are playing irons at +1” in length, chances are VERY good that you need wedges that are also 1” over standard playing lengths. As others have mentioned, you probably need clubs (at least irons and wedges; possibly all clubs) that have more upright lie angles than standard, as well.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

I am 6'4" and get fit into my wedges and here is the MAIN reason why.  You can easily extend and change lie angle.  However, most wedges are heavier anyway, so if you extend them, I have seen swingweights as high as E2 on 1" extended wedges.  If you get a fitting done and order them, they use a lighter head and they will be closer to the standard swing weight.  My Cleveland's were made for me, took only 3 weeks and they swing weight at a perfect (for me) D4.5.  My Vokeys came to me at exactly D5, all 3 of them.  I bought one off the rack a while back because I gouged mine real bad in a tournament round.  To the point that I could not use it again the next day.  So I bought it, had it extended and the same grip put on it and it felt really heavy.  Wound up at D9.  

But in a fitting, you can try different shafts and grip sizes.  I use Project X LZ 6.5's in my irons, but those spun like a freaking demon in my wedges.  That is real odd because my irons do not spin as much as the Dynamic Gold X100.  But my spin rate was optimal on trackman with Srixon with the DG X100 in them.  

Driver:  :callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke ◇◇◇ 10.5⁰ Strong Cog -2⁰ w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65x

3 wood:  :ping-small: G430 Max 15⁰ Ping Chrome Tour 2.0 75 X

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: TSi2 21⁰ Hybrid w/Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 923 4-PW Nippon Modus Tour 115 TX

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Tour Rack Raw 50, 55 and 60 w/Dynamic Gold S400.

Putter: My Dad's Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 that I gave him in 2003

Ball:  TP5X

image.png

39 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Given how often most golfers play wedges vs single irons I would definitely recommend doing a proper fit. At 6'6 good chance you would be fit into something longer than standard as well as an adjusted lie angle. 

I am going to tag @Indi Golf here as they recently did a wedge testing opp for us and off some virtual fittings of sorts. As they are experts in wedges I think they may have a better or more in depth answer to offer. 

Thanks for the help! I appreciate you passing it along to the experts as well

35 minutes ago, Javs said:

Welcome and great question. I am not tall just an average 5’ 10”. However, I play with a good buddy that is 6’ 6”. He was fitted and his wedges are extended and 2 degrees upright. I recommend a good wedge fitting. 

Thanks! Much appreciated. Seems to be the common answer as well!

33 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I am 6'4", fitted for my wedges from the Cobra challenge and am +1" and 3* upright. Same specs as my irons and has been working out well recently as I've gotten more acclimated to the clubs.

Nice! Did you find it was a bit of a learning curve adjusting? Also, would you say the cost of doing so is worth the benefit? Appreciate the feedback!

26 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

As a Professional Clubfitter who has done thousands of fittings over the last 34 years, I offer the following advice on this subject: see a fitter and get fitted for your wedges. If you are playing irons at +1” in length, chances are VERY good that you need wedges that are also 1” over standard playing lengths. As others have mentioned, you probably need clubs (at least irons and wedges; possibly all clubs) that have more upright lie angles than standard, as well.

Thanks for the advice. I got my clubs when I was 16 as a gift. Didn't get fitted. Gifter told the person at the shop "he's tall. give him extensions" so I'm sure this advice is something I should look into.

26 minutes ago, shailey said:

I am 6'4" and get fit into my wedges and here is the MAIN reason why.  You can easily extend and change lie angle.  However, most wedges are heavier anyway, so if you extend them, I have seen swingweights as high as E2 on 1" extended wedges.  If you get a fitting done and order them, they use a lighter head and they will be closer to the standard swing weight.  My Cleveland's were made for me, took only 3 weeks and they swing weight at a perfect (for me) D4.5.  My Vokeys came to me at exactly D5, all 3 of them.  I bought one off the rack a while back because I gouged mine real bad in a tournament round.  To the point that I could not use it again the next day.  So I bought it, had it extended and the same grip put on it and it felt really heavy.  Wound up at D9.  

But in a fitting, you can try different shafts and grip sizes.  I use Project X LZ 6.5's in my irons, but those spun like a freaking demon in my wedges.  That is real odd because my irons do not spin as much as the Dynamic Gold X100.  But my spin rate was optimal on trackman with Srixon with the DG X100 in them.  

Thanks for the advice. Not going to lie, had to look up what swing weight meant. I have a lot to learn! I'll definitely be going to a pro who can fit me correctly

1 hour ago, MH15 said:

Hey All,

Welcome @MH15!  MyGolfSpy is great & great people as well! 

One of my good friends I play golf with, is 6'9" & he went from buying clubs, including wedges, off the rack & putting extensions in to getting fit.  He is 100% sold getting fit, including for wedges and it's made a real difference in his game.  He had gone to Ping wedges were fit with his specs & custom made, no extensions. As @shailey stated concerning the grip, grip size was important and fitting including installing the grip to his needs. 

Good Luck! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

22 minutes ago, MH15 said:

Nice! Did you find it was a bit of a learning curve adjusting? Also, would you say the cost of doing so is worth the benefit? Appreciate the feedback!

The biggest learning curve for me so far has been going from what I had previously for a wedge which was a 56* that was super forgiving on misses. The Cobra Snakebite wedges are really, really good, but they are not as forgiving as what I had previously. Now that I am finding a bit more rhythm with them, I am hitting better, more predictable shots than I ever had before with that previous wedge, which was also +1" but standard lie. 

The biggest message I got from my fitter, as I went 3* upright on all my irons, is that as my swing changes/improves, those lie adjustments may need to be brought down as it could cause me to miss right more often (left handed player). I have always missed left to a slice/fade, so part of the upright adjustment was to help offset that a bit. I may have to get the lie angle adjusted as I continue on as more of my misses lately when I am swinging well are now right. So keep in mind that the fit is for your swing on that given day.

I always will be a proponent of getting a proper fit, as you may be fighting your equipment without even knowing it. I have found much more consistency with my current irons and my scoring has improved quite a bit as my handicap started the year around a 30 and I am now at a 20.8. Not to say only the clubs made that big a difference as I have been playing a lot more this year than in year's past, but it certainly has helped. 

If you can find a demo day at a local retailer, or if any courses around you have reps come on site for demo days, sign up for a time slot as they are typically free of charge (excluding Titleist). The only downside with that is you are hitting one brand of clubs. Otherwise, find a reputable fitting center and go for it. I do believe it is money well spent. I see that you are in the Chicago area, so if you can get over to @GolfSub70 in Sycamore, I believe they do free fittings and have some GREAT equipment. There was a member test done this year for the TAIII wedges and I'd highly recommend checking that thread out. The next time I am in the market for new clubs I am planning on making a trip down there. I'll link that thread below!

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Absolutely.  I build my 3 wedges outside of my set at 0.5" over standard.  I keep them at a standard lie angle.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

7 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

The biggest learning curve for me so far has been going from what I had previously for a wedge which was a 56* that was super forgiving on misses. The Cobra Snakebite wedges are really, really good, but they are not as forgiving as what I had previously. Now that I am finding a bit more rhythm with them, I am hitting better, more predictable shots than I ever had before with that previous wedge, which was also +1" but standard lie. 

The biggest message I got from my fitter, as I went 3* upright on all my irons, is that as my swing changes/improves, those lie adjustments may need to be brought down as it could cause me to miss right more often (left handed player). I have always missed left to a slice/fade, so part of the upright adjustment was to help offset that a bit. I may have to get the lie angle adjusted as I continue on as more of my misses lately when I am swinging well are now right. So keep in mind that the fit is for your swing on that given day.

I always will be a proponent of getting a proper fit, as you may be fighting your equipment without even knowing it. I have found much more consistency with my current irons and my scoring has improved quite a bit as my handicap started the year around a 30 and I am now at a 20.8. Not to say only the clubs made that big a difference as I have been playing a lot more this year than in year's past, but it certainly has helped. 

If you can find a demo day at a local retailer, or if any courses around you have reps come on site for demo days, sign up for a time slot as they are typically free of charge (excluding Titleist). The only downside with that is you are hitting one brand of clubs. Otherwise, find a reputable fitting center and go for it. I do believe it is money well spent. I see that you are in the Chicago area, so if you can get over to @GolfSub70 in Sycamore, I believe they do free fittings and have some GREAT equipment. There was a member test done this year for the TAIII wedges and I'd highly recommend checking that thread out. The next time I am in the market for new clubs I am planning on making a trip down there. I'll link that thread below!

It really cannot be overstated how important just playing regularly is to getting any better.

2.5 years into a golf league now and I am far beyond the player I was when I started playing in it.

maybe played once or twice a year tops since I was 12ish.

only got my first birdie 3/4 of the way through league my first year.

im 39…

this year almost managed to shoot even one round.  Now do I do that all the time haha hell no.  But I know I can do it. 

I started the league as a probably 30hcp.

down to 16 this year.

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

9 hours ago, skraeling said:

It really cannot be overstated how important just playing regularly is to getting any better.

2.5 years into a golf league now and I am far beyond the player I was when I started playing in it.

maybe played once or twice a year tops since I was 12ish.

only got my first birdie 3/4 of the way through league my first year.

im 39…

this year almost managed to shoot even one round.  Now do I do that all the time haha hell no.  But I know I can do it. 

I started the league as a probably 30hcp.

down to 16 this year.

This is awesome. I am actually in a pretty similar boat - I joined a league for the first time this year, started off with 14 strokes given thru 9 and now I’m down to 5 (i had one stellar round where I shot 2 over thru 9 that skewed it). Definitely see how it’s possible. Do I think I’ll be shooting 38 again any time soon or consistently? Hell no, like you said! But I proved I can definitely do it!

14 hours ago, bens197 said:

Absolutely.  I build my 3 wedges outside of my set at 0.5" over standard.  I keep them at a standard lie angle.

Awesome. That’s great. Congrats on the testing opportunity also!! 

21 minutes ago, MH15 said:

This is awesome. I am actually in a pretty similar boat - I joined a league for the first time this year, started off with 14 strokes given thru 9 and now I’m down to 5 (i had one stellar round where I shot 2 over thru 9 that skewed it). Definitely see how it’s possible. Do I think I’ll be shooting 38 again any time soon or consistently? Hell no, like you said! But I proved I can definitely do it!

Awesome. That’s great. Congrats on the testing opportunity also!! 

I missed even by a .5", tapping in for par instead of the birdie lol.  granted it was on a putt from 25ft so finishing by tapping it in was still damn nice.

My neighbor who is shorter than me by a few inches (me at ~6') actually had I think .5" added to his clubs.  He stands VERY upright.  So it works for him.

I almost wonder if maybe .25" shorter would work for me sometimes haha.  I tend to squat down too much and hit fat when I get lazy (thanks years of baseball and softball).

Edited by skraeling

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

1 hour ago, skraeling said:

I missed even by a .5", tapping in for par instead of the birdie lol.  granted it was on a putt from 25ft so finishing by tapping it in was still damn nice.

My neighbor who is shorter than me by a few inches (me at ~6') actually had I think .5" added to his clubs.  He stands VERY upright.  So it works for him.

I almost wonder if maybe .25" shorter would work for me sometimes haha.  I tend to squat down too much and hit fat when I get lazy (thanks years of baseball and softball).

That must've been a gut wrenching putt! Definitely will NEVER complain about a tap in par - unless it comes from a 3 putt after an eagle opportunity!

As for the length, I think you hit the nail on the head, really comes down to swing tendencies and such from what I can tell from this thread

On 8/14/2023 at 9:43 AM, MH15 said:

do any of you taller golfers get your wedges extended? I have read conflicting reviews online.

Im 6'4 with a WTF of 37.5" 

Obviously its all a personal preference even within us taller folks. But short answer is if you have your irons extended in any way you are going to want to have the wedges as well. Easiest way is to go progressively shorter from your PW and go from there. If you feel like your highest lofted club is too short then get it your preferred length and equally lengthen each wedge til you get to the PW. You might run into swingweight variances but as long as you keep the same shaft weight and profile shaft it shouldn't be that drastic where that they feel different from one another. Some people are more swingweight sensitive than others YMMV

You can get fit or grab some wedges and tinker and experiment. All up to how much you want to endeavor.

I am a bonified tinkerer and gear head. I have never got fitted for wedges and not saying you shouldn't just for me unless its an exclusive outdoor wedge fitting where i can test the wedge under different conditions I cannot take a wedge fitting indoor using mats. It should be fine for like my gap and sand wedge which for the most part are full swing shots but my lob wedge is my specialty wedge and needs to be tested out in the proving grounds. Thus that is where I ultimately have my lob wedge at +~.25" standard lie while my irons are like +.75".

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke  9*  :Fuji: Ventus TR Black 6X 45.25"

FW: :taylormade-small: BRNR mini Driver 13.5*  Hzrdus Blue 70g 6.5 tipped 1"

Utility:  :callaway-logo-1: UW 21*  Hzrdus black 80g 6.5

Irons :   :srixon-small: ZX Utility 4 23* MCA Diamana Thump 100x

:srixon-small: Z785 5-PW Nippon Modus 120x

Wedges:  :callaway-logo-1: TCB AW 50* Nippon Modus 120x

:cleveland-small: zipcore 55* DG Wedge Spinner

:vokey-small: Vokey Wedgeworks T grind 60*  REV 2.0

Putter:  :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa 3T 

BB8W MCA MMT Putter shaft

Good question, MH15!  As a new member myself (just posted my first post here today!) and also a 6'6" golfer, we have a lot in common already!   Here's my experience with wedges..... I have played golf for over 60 years (OK...I'm old!), and have always fooled around building my own clubs.   Through trial and error, I have arrived at 37 inches as the length that seems to work pretty well for me for all of my wedges.   At my age, I use graphite shafts almost exclusively for all my clubs, though I use heavier graphite (75 grams or higher) for the wedges.  The 37 inch length is 1 1/2 or 2 inches longer than "standard."   Ordinarily, this would make the wedges feel quite heavy, but I also have large hands (XXL golf glove!), so I use 1/8" oversized grips, which are heavier, and this serves to counterbalance the club.   Most of the time, they weigh in at D-5 or so, which is just fine for me.   As you can see in my profile, I have a Maltby Gap 48* gap wedge which matches my irons, a Maltby 54* wedge (which is my "go-to" club for most shots around the green), and a Maltby 56 (which I use almost exclusively out of traps).   Hope this helps...!

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet