TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Magazine's 2010 club test for putters

Moecat

I never put a ton of faith in any of those "hot Lists". Especially with putters. The putter is the most subjective club in the bag, and I find it hard to imagine buying one on someone's recommendation.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Putters are way too subjective for this to matter a lot, and I don't think much of the big magazines' reviews anyway. Finally, it seems like they didn't test too many putters. Maybe I just think that because I'm into all the custom makers who are unrepresented.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

How about testing for aim. You can just use a laser for that. It's kind of important last time I checked with putting.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

• SPY VIP

I guess it is a nice way for someone who is unsure of what it out there to get an idea about what to look for. Nice that they tied in their reviews from other sections. Seemed honest too. Sory of a negative comment about the squareback 2 needing more oomph to get the ball to the hole. Did not see any Byron or MIlls or other small batch putters though. :rolleyes:

Choosing a putter is so subjective though. They should have a running header that says "Don't buy any putter without demoing it first!"

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

last year when I was looking to buy my first putter I looked at all the reviews I could find before I started shopping. I figured I would go into it with an advantage...

Then I walked into the store and all that research went out the window... I had to try about 20 putters before I found the one that worked the best for me... and it was one of the ones I never even considered to start...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

with putters, you really have to roll it before you own it.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

One thing about this year's Club Test...

I was really glad to see so many smaller companies represented - SeeMore, Yes, Rife, Heavy, etc. I was starting to wonder if lesser known brands that lack huge marketing budgets can even compete in the golf industry these days.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Ok here is my take and it might be because I am slightly biased...I am a Club tester for Golf Magazine. I didn't participate in the putter test though.

First thing, there is a lot of effort and work that goes into the testing. People don't just go out there and grab a putter and start putting. I have tested putters in the past and we were fit for them as the OEM's sent plenty of models to test. Then we putted from different ranges so we could see how each putter felt from short, medium and long distances. ClubTest is a large undertaking and the work put in is outstanding.

As for the custom putter makers...look at it this way. They make a majority of their putters when customers order them so if they were to be involved they would have to crank out a large amount of putters to send in so they could be tested by each tester and with every tester being different there would have to be multiple choices of each design.

Just my take on it though.

• SPY VIP

Ok here is my take and it might be because I am slightly biased...I am a Club tester for Golf Magazine. I didn't participate in the putter test though.

First thing, there is a lot of effort and work that goes into the testing. People don't just go out there and grab a putter and start putting. I have tested putters in the past and we were fit for them as the OEM's sent plenty of models to test. Then we putted from different ranges so we could see how each putter felt from short, medium and long distances. ClubTest is a large undertaking and the work put in is outstanding.

As for the custom putter makers...look at it this way. They make a majority of their putters when customers order them so if they were to be involved they would have to crank out a large amount of putters to send in so they could be tested by each tester and with every tester being different there would have to be multiple choices of each design.

That is so cool! This always seemed like a fun thing to do. Of course the testing has to be controlled. I think is always comes down to "What about...?"

TP Mills made the GD list last year. Does that happen because they ask GD, or did GD seek them out?

A day spent putting with everything sounds too good to be true.

Volvo Intorqueo

Cool! How did you get hooked up with that (if you don't mind sharing)? Thanks for the insight into the process.

I feel like I was probably overly harsh in my initial assessment. I think that big club tests like this are helpful for lots of golfers. There are times when I forget that I'm in the extreme minority when it comes to caring/knowing about equipment. Also, it's not realistic for them to review putters from 10 different custom houses that the average golfer won't even consider based on price & lack of marketing. One thing I really like is their emphasis on "See-Try-Buy" which fits in well with the things that everyone is saying here: "You need to test it first."

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I blogged on A2G about a post that Tom Wishon made on his site's board that described how ridiculously random and advertiser driven the Golf Digest process has become. Its good to hear that Golf Magazine may be taking a different approach.

If you don't mind me asking and I've always wondered about this... how does one become a Club Tester for Golf Magazine?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

That is so cool! This always seemed like a fun thing to do. Of course the testing has to be controlled. I think is always comes down to "What about...?"

TP Mills made the GD list last year. Does that happen because they ask GD, or did GD seek them out?

I think GD tests a lot more clubs than the ones that make the list, only the ones they give a gold or silver to make the list.

For my past experience the companies are contacted and then asked to send what they would like to be tested.

Cool! How did you get hooked up with that (if you don't mind sharing)? Thanks for the insight into the process.

I feel like I was probably overly harsh in my initial assessment. I think that big club tests like this are helpful for lots of golfers. There are times when I forget that I'm in the extreme minority when it comes to caring/knowing about equipment. Also, it's not realistic for them to review putters from 10 different custom houses that the average golfer won't even consider based on price & lack of marketing. One thing I really like is their emphasis on "See-Try-Buy" which fits in well with the things that everyone is saying here: "You need to test it first."

I have a lot of buddies who know that I have done this for a while now and people at the courses I play know as well. The one thing I get asked all the time is "what did you test that I should buy?". I always respond the same way...I tell them what I tested might not always be suited for them or if I didn't like it they might love it. I tell them that they don't need to go strictly by the articles and that they need to go out and test the clubs for themselves.

The See-Try-Buy is one of the best things they have added to the whole piece in a while!

I think GD tests a lot more clubs than the ones that make the list, only the ones they give a gold or silver to make the list.

That is correct. There are hundreds of clubs that don't make the magazine because they didn't meet GD's criteria.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I blogged on A2G about a post that Tom Wishon made on his site's board that described how ridiculously random and advertiser driven the Golf Digest process has become. Its good to hear that Golf Magazine may be taking a different approach.

If you don't mind me asking and I've always wondered about this... how does one become a Club Tester for Golf Magazine?

I became a club tester on a wind of luck, basically. My story is that one day I was on the Golf Magazine website about 6 years ago and saw a link about club testing. I clicked on it out of curiosity and I filled out what I will call an "Application" in which I had to review a few clubs from my own bag. I sent that in and then a few weeks later I got an e-mail asking me to send in a video of my swing. I thought that would be the deal breaker because my swing is by no means pretty in any sense. Needless to say, I went to the range and filmed it then I sent it in. A few more weeks later I got another e-mail saying welcome aboard!

I have done this now for 5 years now and it is a great experience! I have developed a lot of close friendships out of our network of testers from across the country. I'm not going to say that it isn't a lot of hard work, because it is. It isn't just hitting golf balls because if you don't like writing then you will hate it.

I normally don't discuss it in forums because there have been some who discuss it and never get to go back, but those are the people who talk about the clubs before the articles are out. I would never do that, but when people discuss the process and other items I am more than happy to defend the process because I think it is very effective!

• SPY VIP

I became a club tester on a wind of luck, basically. My story is that one day I was on the Golf Magazine website about 6 years ago and saw a link about club testing. I clicked on it out of curiosity and I filled out what I will call an "Application" in which I had to review a few clubs from my own bag. I sent that in and then a few weeks later I got an e-mail asking me to send in a video of my swing. I thought that would be the deal breaker because my swing is by no means pretty in any sense. Needless to say, I went to the range and filmed it then I sent it in. A few more weeks later I got another e-mail saying welcome aboard!

I have done this now for 5 years now and it is a great experience! I have developed a lot of close friendships out of our network of testers from across the country. I'm not going to say that it isn't a lot of hard work, because it is. It isn't just hitting golf balls because if you don't like writing then you will hate it.

I normally don't discuss it in forums because there have been some who discuss it and never get to go back, but those are the people who talk about the clubs before the articles are out. I would never do that, but when people discuss the process and other items I am more than happy to defend the process because I think it is very effective!

Thanks for sharing the process. Secret club info not required. I don't think that talking about it like this would blacklist you from going back. Your non-disclosure agreement is intact. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

That's interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Thanks for sharing the process. Secret club info not required. I don't think that talking about it like this would blacklist you from going back. Your non-disclosure agreement is intact. :)

I don't see an issue in talking about the process so I am not worried and even if I never got to go back to ClubTest I still have the past 5 years to look back on for the experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

sorry morris, missed it, delete away please :)

or merge if you prefer :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Bettinardi. Bettinardi. Bettinardi!

I've been wanting to visit their putting studio here in Chicago. A couple of golf bloggers I know got an invitation from Bettinardi to take a tour and I'm going to see if I can tag along.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived