Testers Wanted! ×

Club Championship, should I participate?

Interested in gathering some thoughts around this topic from the group. Long story short, newer to golf and live on a private course with guys that have been playing for years. Slowly started playing in events last year to gain experience and this year I am debating the Club Championship because it has a Gross and Net winner. However, feel a little bearish because I am a mid capper and we have a lot of guys 5 and under playing.

Should I sit this one out or play and just aim to not finish DFL (dead last)

:ping-small: G430 LST - Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 XS

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Hybrid 3 & 5 - LA Golf A Series 105 XS

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKII 5i-AW - :Nippon: 1150 GH XS

:ping-small: - ChipR

:cobra-small: - Black SnakeBite 53 & 57

:scotty-small: - Super Select Golo 6.5

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

:Ogio:  

:Arccos:

2 minutes ago, anotherburntsteak said:

Interested in gathering some thoughts around this topic from the group. Long story short, newer to golf and live on a private course with guys that have been playing for years. Slowly started playing in events last year to gain experience and this year I am debating the Club Championship because it has a Gross and Net winner. However, feel a little bearish because I am a mid capper and we have a lot of guys 5 and under playing.

No flights?  Most club championships that I have seen have a variety of flights to accommodate players of all abilities.   Other than that playing in it is certainly your choice but I would because it would give you some great experience.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

No flights?  Most club championships that I have seen have a variety of flights to accommodate players of all abilities.   Other than that playing in it is certainly your choice but I would because it would give you some great experience.

The info just came out this morning... I know there is a Senior, Super Senior, then a Club Champ... But I am not sure how they are going to flight other than that... I'd assume just stack folks based off their index?

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

14 minutes ago, anotherburntsteak said:

I am debating the Club Championship because it has a Gross and Net winner.

If you've established your handicap appropriately, you should have at least a chance at some Net prizes.  I see no reason not to play, and lots of positives to choose to compete.  You'll get valuable experience, you'll probably meet and play with some new people, you're likely to learn something about the Rules, and you just might play well.  I encourage you to give it a shot.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

18 minutes ago, anotherburntsteak said:

You should they are fun no matter what happens .. my club also awards points toward events so when the member member tourney or another event that has a wait list the points come in handy ..but I lost in mine but had a lot of fun 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

11 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If you've established your handicap appropriately, you should have at least a chance at some Net prizes.  I see no reason not to play, and lots of positives to choose to compete.  You'll get valuable experience, you'll probably meet and play with some new people, you're likely to learn something about the Rules, and you just might play well.  I encourage you to give it a shot.

This is an awesome point. I am always trying to learn more about the rules and you are totally right. This is a great way to do that and gain some experience. I guess I always had a little anxiety about these things and did not want to "be in someones way" that had a chance so to speak...

• 4 weeks later...

Go for it! I played in our club championship earlier this year after coming off a back injury. I was swinging quite poorly and struggled all weekend but managed to have fun, meet some other members I didn't know previously and helped keep me thinking my way around the course even while playing poorly/differently than usual. I actually finished dead last in the championship flight with the issues I was having but still had a great time. Also, I'm sure if you had any questions/rule issues come up, the people in your group would help without an issue. 

Honestly, I don't see a downside to it. More golf, meet new people and get more competition experience which is huge when starting out. The more you play in front of people, the more comfortable you get!

image.png.1ea5d758cf8a30830588308493ba6b69.png                        Driver:  Tour Edge Exotics E8 driver - Fujikura Xstiff
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png       Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x