TESTERS WANTED! ×

4 Wood?

Flv02

Hey Golfers,

I need your advice. I am considering bagging either a 4 wood or a 17* hybrid (was it that? a 2H? I'll refer to it as a 2h). I have a pretty significant gap between my 3 Wood and my 3H. I hit my 3 wood 250-260 and I hit my 3H 220-230. I would love there to be a club that is in between. At my home course, there are hazards in between two fairways on many par 4s and all of the par 5s. I either have to hit an easy 3 wood or a 3H (19*) which leaves me a lot distance to the hole. Now that I can hit my 3-wood, I would be more confident with the 4. I don't know, maybe its because I am around one a lot. My uncle is my normal playing partner and his favorite club is his 4-wood. Is this gap in between clubs normal? Or should I take care of this immediately? What would you do?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

BTW, My current setup is as follows:

Driver: 275-310 (fluctuates based on if I am slicing or not. Average is 285)

3-Wood: 250-260

3H: 220-230

4H:200-215

5:185-195

6:175-180

7:160-170

8:150-155

9:130-145

PW:115-125

SW:100-110

LW:75-95

62*:65 and below

I use the 62* for all of my shots inside 65, so when I bag the 4-wood, I would either drop the 3-wood or LW depending on the course).

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I dropped my 3 wood 13* in favor of a 17* then changed it for a 15 then dropped for a 14* hybrid. These are steel shafted hybrids and I prefer the control I have with these over metal woods. When I compared perfect shots at least theoretically a 3w was best but I never had a perfect shot with a 3w during a round. Also I can choke down on that 14 hybrid and hit a 190 yard putt. Well the first 100 yards it is about 2 feet off the ground then hits and rolls forever.

I am of the opinion that if you are so far from the green that you can not get there with a 4 wood then you would be better off laying up.

Today we all had horrible teeshots and I hit PW / 8 iron to avoid trouble. They all went for the bomb. I made par they all bogied.

I use my 14 off the tee and for trouble shots and the 18 from the fairway.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I have nearly the same setup as you. I use a 5 wood instead of the 3 hybrid is all. My 3 wood (R11) is "adjusted" to a higher loft; 16.5Ëš so it's nearly a 4 wood. The 5 wood is also adjusted higher to 20.5Ëš. I don't know what you'd call that...a 6 wood maybe? Anyway.....works for me.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

My set up is similar to yours, as well...my gaps aren't as large because I don't hit the driver, 3w or hybrids as far as you - the rest is reasonably close. Bagged a 4-wood instead of a 3-wood early last year and other than one memorable shot it was used mostly for decoration.

I think RoverRick has the right idea - if you can find a low lofted hybrid you like it might fill that gap nicely.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Gaps with the high lofts don't need to exist, depending on the club design and the flexibility of the player. Surprisingly, that's also true with the low lofts, though I find it easier to deal with the high lofts because I normally practice them more. They don't consume as much energy and require less space mostly.

Shambles

I'd be more worried about the potential 25 yard gap between your PW and SW

I was thinking the exact same thing, because there is a similar gap between the 9i and PW.

So, if those numbers are correct, you definitely need to play an additional club between your 9i and SW, because 20yd gaps between each of those clubs is just too much

Assuming you had an approach shot at that distance, would you risk it?

I really don't pay attention to the gap between my driver, 3W and 18* hybrid. Hitting them is hard enough, let alone be accurate :lol:

The longest approach shots I would dare to attempt are 190-200 yards with my 4 iron. Beyond that it's just too uncertain.

Driver as far as possible

3W for 220 yard Par 3

18* hybrid for 210 yard Par 3

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

As a 19 I'd strongly recommend you read the blog about distance real and fictional and consider putting the 4 wood in your bag in favor of the 3 wood. Very few people hit a 3 wood well enough to carry one in their bag - they are for low handicappers or for folks who don't hit the driver well enough to carry one.

Don't waste clubs for yardages over 200 yards - you'd be better off carrying an additional wedge -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for all of the replies! I don't know where to start. As far as approaches, I do go for the green for anything under 240. I hit my 3H EXTREMELY WELL (KNOCK ON WOOD). I actually hit it 240 yesterday and had an eagle putt from it on a par 5. I would not bag an extra wedge because I already have 4 and can control the distance very well. That is why I am not concerned about the 20 yard gap between the high lofted clubs (With my average hits, it really acts as a 10 yard gap). Based on your advice, I will probably go to a simulator next week and test out different low lofted hybrids and 4 woods (after I get fitted of course). Your comments are helping A LOT so keep them coming!

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

I don't want to come across as obnoxious or a jerk but if you hit the ball 285 with your driver and control your distances well and can knock the ball on the green from 240, how in the world are you a 19?

I'm a 3 and in fact will be a 2 when the next revision comes out and would have trouble hitting it 240 with a driver - I don't know for sure because I don't keep the stat but I'm guessing that I hit less than 25 percent of my greens from 200 - then again the tour average from 200-225 is 50 percent according to shot link so I'm not all that bad.

So where are you loosing your strokes?

It's got to be around the green - that's what you need to be working on and big time.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't want to come across as obnoxious or a jerk but if you hit the ball 285 with your driver and control your distances well and can knock the ball on the green from 240, how in the world are you a 19?

I'm a 3 and in fact will be a 2 when the next revision comes out and would have trouble hitting it 240 with a driver - I don't know for sure because I don't keep the stat but I'm guessing that I hit less than 25 percent of my greens from 200 - then again the tour average from 200-225 is 50 percent according to shot link so I'm not all that bad.

It's got to be around the green - that's what you need to be working on and big time.

Haha you dont sound like a jerk. I am wondering the same thing! It's definitely consistency. I have been playing for less than 3 years so its something I am still trying to learn. If I hit a good drive, then I usually mess up my iron shot. If I make a bad drive, I usually hit a good iron shot. Do hit a lot of GIR? No because one of those things are off. Once I can start putting two great shots together, my handicap will drop dramatically. Like I said with my 3H, the last round I played I was putting for eagle. Why? Because I hit two great shots together. I'm getting there, and I am confident that with the amount of golf I am playing, I will be starting to do this on a regular basis. My scores have dropped or stayed the same every single round so far this year without going higher at all *Knock on Wood* (I have been saying that a lot on this website lately) so we'll see. If I can get some consistency, I am in for some low rounds.

With my new irons I am hitting the green much more regularly. Inside 200 yards the numbers are way up. However, outside of 215, while I am hitting the hybrids great, I can not say that the numbers are that much improved. With the 3 wood, I would fail to make good contact more often than I made pure contact. Now, eventhough I make more pure contact, I am just off the green and have a delicate chip or pitch. Since I am very good in the 70 to 100 yard range, 3/4 shots with PW-LW, I have a better chance of making birdies from there than right near the green. Center of the fairway at that range is typically a flat lie on good grass. That stupid golf course designer put all kinds of crap next to the green, and it is difficult to pitch or chip when the ball is chest high.:D

I actually carried a 3W today I hit it once from 256, the pin was out on a peninsula in the lake, and hit it pin high, BUT aimed 30 yards left because I was not stupid. The chances of that going in the water was too great. I was just curious to see how far and accurate I could hit it. Not very accurate so it is no longer in the bag, I actually went 50 yards left. It was just there for the day, I am considering some modifacations on it. But not really worth the trouble to carry one.

@ FLV02 I'm trying to remember where Hopewell Juntion is. I'm from CT and went to Ithaca College so I know that part of the country pretty well. I remember a Hopewell Juntion in PA but can't recall where you are at in NY. Is it up North along the Hudson towards Albany?

Upstate NY is beautiful - I once had a call to a church in Albany but didn't take it because the congregation that I was serving was too similar to the one that was calling me. I figured, why should I leave two similar congregations with new pastors when the one I was at knew me and we were doing well together. I really wanted to go though, I love NY but alas I don't believe I'll ever live there again. I don't think I'd do well with the cold and the church that I'm currently at has enough work to keep my hopping from here to eternity. :)

Work on the short game and your course strategy and you'll see those strokes disapear -

Notice how the lower handicappers, like Rickrover in the post above or some others in this thread, talk about laying up or shooting away from the pin to set up the next shot. It's a lot like a distance runner who doesn't sprint out off the block but knows how to run his race from a strategic standpoint. It's a course, the winner completes the course in the least number of strokes.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Haha you dont sound like a jerk. I am wondering the same thing! It's definitely consistency. I have been playing for less than 3 years so its something I am still trying to learn. If I hit a good drive, then I usually mess up my iron shot. If I make a bad drive, I usually hit a good iron shot. Do hit a lot of GIR? No because one of those things are off. Once I can start putting two great shots together, my handicap will drop dramatically. Like I said with my 3H, the last round I played I was putting for eagle. Why? Because I hit two great shots together. I'm getting there, and I am confident that with the amount of golf I am playing, I will be starting to do this on a regular basis. My scores have dropped or stayed the same every single round so far this year without going higher at all *Knock on Wood* (I have been saying that a lot on this website lately) so we'll see. If I can get some consistency, I am in for some low rounds.

Story of my game! Keep it up though, I don't hit it as far as you, but I've been working only on consistency for the past few months and my scores have dropped. My scores would probably drop more if I could get out more often, but that should happen within the next two weeks. Can't wait to play more and recalculate my HCP.

+1 to what RR said too. Changing the shaft in my driver made a huge difference in consistency, so it's something you may want to look into. I've spent too much already, but I'm already trying to figure out how to get myself a set of KBS shafts to help out my iron game.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely look into new shafts. It's something I have been wanting to do. I have my Myrtle Beach trip soon and will probably do it there. We don't have many simulators and clubmaking places in Hopewell Junction, which is a great segue to..

@ FLV02 I'm trying to remember where Hopewell Juntion is. I'm from CT and went to Ithaca College so I know that part of the country pretty well. I remember a Hopewell Juntion in PA but can't recall where you are at in NY. Is it up North along the Hudson towards Albany?

EXACTLY. Hopewell Junction is right near Poughkeepsie which is on the Hudson. I am a little over an hour to NYC (and school :) ) and about an hour and a half from Albany. Basically right in the middle between Manhattan and Albany :)

Hey Golfers,

I need your advice. I am considering bagging either a 4 wood or a 17* hybrid (was it that? a 2H? I'll refer to it as a 2h). I have a pretty significant gap between my 3 Wood and my 3H. I hit my 3 wood 250-260 and I hit my 3H 220-230. I would love there to be a club that is in between. At my home course, there are hazards in between two fairways on many par 4s and all of the par 5s. I either have to hit an easy 3 wood or a 3H (19*) which leaves me a lot distance to the hole. Now that I can hit my 3-wood, I would be more confident with the 4. I don't know, maybe its because I am around one a lot. My uncle is my normal playing partner and his favorite club is his 4-wood. Is this gap in between clubs normal? Or should I take care of this immediately? What would you do?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

BTW, My current setup is as follows:

Driver: 275-310 (fluctuates based on if I am slicing or not. Average is 285)

3-Wood: 250-260

3H: 220-230

4H:200-215

5:185-195

6:175-180

7:160-170

8:150-155

9:130-145

PW:115-125

SW:100-110

LW:75-95

62*:65 and below

I use the 62* for all of my shots inside 65, so when I bag the 4-wood, I would either drop the 3-wood or LW depending on the course).

No you should not putt a 4 wood into the bag I might suggest a 4 metal, wood headed clubs are hard to come buy and have a low C.o.R and M.O.I. :lol: Sorry I know you meant a modern fairway club, I am just being a smart a$$ about 'wood'. I put a 4 fairway metal into play over a 3 fairway metal because it filled my gaps better then the Adams 9032Ti 14.5* I had. Your bag looks almost like mine with exception of how far we hit the clubs.

I think a lot of players have a "reserve" espesually in the irons, maybe roughly 10 yards they can get more if they wanted to "bust it". I know my reserve is about 8 yards, maybe on a good day 10 or 12. Bellow are "stock" carry distances, not including roll or backspin total.

Driver (9.3*) ~ 285ish carry (305ish max carry) (Total is normally 295 to 305) (My max total is about 335). SS isn't everything.

3 metal (14.5*) ~ 270ish (285ish max carry) (I used it from the tee and 285-300 was not that hard at times, too long and close to a driver)

4 metal (16.5*) ~ 260ish (270ish max carry) (I use it on the tee and pulled a few 285+ totals before, total max recorded is 300)

19* rescue ~ 235ish (250ish max carry) (I use it on the tee and pulled a few 260 to 270ish, my biggest ever caught cart path and was 300)

4 iron (24*) ~ 218ish (225ish max)

5 iron (27*) ~ 207ish (215ish max)

6 iron (31*) ~ 195ish (204ish max)

7 iron (35*) ~ 181ish (190ish max)

8 iron (39*) ~ 167ish (175ish max)

9 iron (43*) ~ 154ish (162ish max)

P wedge (47*) ~ 142ish (150ish max)

G wedge (52*) ~ 128ish (136ish max)

S wedge (56*) ~ 113ish (121ish max)

L wedge (60*) ~ 99ish (107ish max)

SIDE NOTE: Do not trust the LMs in Martin's PGA Superstore in Myrtle Beach at the Broadway store, you might want to bring in your own clubs first to get a baseline reading, those things are terrible. I have ranted about them in the past on this board.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

No you should not putt a 4 wood into the bag I might suggest a 4 metal, wood headed clubs are hard to come buy and have a low C.o.R and M.O.I. :lol: Sorry I know you meant a modern fairway club, I am just being a smart a$ about 'wood'.

If he decides to bag a 18* Callaway Razr Fit would you want him to call it a 5 Composite. "I am 245 yards from the pin so hand me the 5 Composite.":D

By the way, jmiller, I can not watch a Wilson Staff commercial with the "Blades and the Backups" without thinking of you.

No you should not putt a 4 wood into the bag I might suggest a 4 metal, wood headed clubs are hard to come buy and have a low C.o.R and M.O.I.

If he decides to bag a 18* Callaway Razr Fit would you want him to call it a 5 Composite. "I am 245 yards from the pin so hand me the 5 Composite.":D

Hahaha the two of you have me laughing :lol:

And thanks for the warning Jmiller!

If he decides to bag a 18* Callaway Razr Fit would you want him to call it a 5 Composite. "I am 245 yards from the pin so hand me the 5 Composite.":D By the way, jmiller, I can not watch a Wilson Staff commercial with the "Blades and the Backups" without thinking of you.

Except I don't need the backups :)

Hahaha the two of you have me laughing :lol: And thanks for the warning Jmiller!

no problem I just had to get a little joke in there. I know it is tradition to say "wood" just having a little fun.

Hit a couple 4 metals 290 today just killed them what was surprising was that one of the 290 was literally my first swing at a ball. I came out after work, took a few swings with 2 wedges held together to loosen up and smacked the 4 metal off the 1st tee. I started choking down my driver to 44.5" approx and wow world of a difference. Hit the sweet spot so often I didn't know what to do with myself. That is gonna happen soon only scrubbed about 3 yards doing it on a pure hit but you know my average went up simply for the fact i hit it better more often, the 3 times I tried it 307, 305, 310 lol

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Some people are never satisfied, and I am one of them. I can not leave my bag alone. I more than satisfied with my irons, but at the top of the bag I have been doing some experimenting. First I used 14* and 19* hybrids, then went to 17* and 21* and lastly 19* and 21*. All in an effort to cover a certain distance gap.

Here is the problem I ran into, when you are taking about a yardage from 140 to 155. In this case, I can take a club that has 3 degrees more loft and is a half inch longer and still cover that distance. However, when you start talking about a club that you may use off the tee, or out of the rough or want the ball to check up or run forever, you really need two different styles of clubs.

Yes, I have been heralding the banner of replacing fairway metals (woods) with hybrids. but have had some difficult in that area. Not because they were too hard to hit, but they were to simular. So, I have taken these KBS Hybrid steel shafts and put the 909H 19* (bored out to .370) on the 41" shaft and then bored out my 909F2 15.5 degree fairway metal and put it on the 42" shaft. This is an inch shorter than the stock shaft, so I should have better control and I have a wider range of shot I can hit with these two clubs because they are much different heads. This is more like a weak 3 wood but may still qualify as a 4 wood with the way all the lofts are getting stronger.

I am waiting for the epoxy to harden now so I may get to play these this evening.

I've opted for a weaker lofted 3-wood or 15.5 degrees. For me, it's good balance between the trajectory I need up here in windy Chicagoland and the distance to maintain the proper gaps in my longer clubs.

The only reason I'd go with a 4-wood is if I didn't want to carry a 15* and 19* club to put an extra wedge in the bag (like a 64*).

But, I'd be lying if I said my 3-wood is my favorite club in the bag. ;)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Some people are never satisfied, and I am one of them. I can not leave my bag alone. I more than satisfied with my irons, but at the top of the bag I have been doing some experimenting. First I used 14* and 19* hybrids, then went to 17* and 21* and lastly 19* and 21*. All in an effort to cover a certain distance gap.

Here is the problem I ran into, when you are taking about a yardage from 140 to 155. In this case, I can take a club that has 3 degrees more loft and is a half inch longer and still cover that distance. However, when you start talking about a club that you may use off the tee, or out of the rough or want the ball to check up or run forever, you really need two different styles of clubs.

Yes, I have been heralding the banner of replacing fairway metals (woods) with hybrids. but have had some difficult in that area. Not because they were too hard to hit, but they were to simular. So, I have taken these KBS Hybrid steel shafts and put the 909H 19* (bored out to .370) on the 41" shaft and then bored out my 909F2 15.5 degree fairway metal and put it on the 42" shaft. This is an inch shorter than the stock shaft, so I should have better control and I have a wider range of shot I can hit with these two clubs because they are much different heads. This is more like a weak 3 wood but may still qualify as a 4 wood with the way all the lofts are getting stronger.

I am waiting for the epoxy to harden now so I may get to play these this evening.

My experiment with the 15.5* 3 wood was short lived. I hit this club too high and too much spin and really had poor distance control with it so, after two days of trying it, I changed back to the 19* and 21* hybrids.

I said, "However, when you start talking about a club that you may use off the tee, or out of the rough or want the ball to check up or run forever, you really need two different styles of clubs." Well, I wanted this to be a true statement but it is not. You can hit the hybrid two different ways. You can sweep it like a fairway wood, prefered off the tee, and it will hit and run. Or you can hit down on it like an iron, and it will fly higher and it will check up nicely.

I wanted to have a little more distance with the 15.5 but I calculate that difference in the loft is really only 6 or 7 yards. I know they can do other things to change the spin and trajectory. and as a matter of fact they did which is why I can not hit the 3 wood. Perhaps, I would have had better luck with the 909F3 or I am sure the RocketBallz would solve all my problems (not.:D ) But in reality, I did not have a problem. I hit a 19* hybrid over a lake, over trees and into the fairway just short of the green 3 times this weekend. All three times, after poor drives into a pretty strong wind, I was 265 to 270 from the center of the green. All three times, I hit a beautiful 5 yard draw over the trees and ended up inside 50 yards. Twice one of my fellow players was beside me and one hit the tree and went in the water. One hit the water and went in to the trees. So the debate is finally settled for me.

Now, I just have a putter issue to resolve.:P

However, I also dropped my 60 in lieu of a 64. And changed my 56 for one with more bounce, but these changes will happen very often.

Well I should put a mention in that the 4 metal I am playing has a low spin shaft in it. Same shaft profile as my driver but 85g and was a Stiff tipped to an X plus was tipped in addition for a 3 metal now plays into a 4 metal with no additional tipping. The ball comes out with some spin but not ballooning or anything crazy very workable spin. It is 16.5* with a low spin shaft comes out penetrating most of the time like a high lofted driver migh it just has more spin that's for sure then a driver and thus a lot easier to work the ball.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Golfers,

As you know from this post I made and from my classifieds post, I have been in the market for a 4 wood and I need your help ASAP. I have found a brand new 17* Nike SQ Dymo on eBay and made an offer. He counter offered with $47.00 with free shipping! Was this a good club in 2009? And should I jump on this deal? I have been looking for 4 woods on eBay and this is the cheapest I have seen a new 4 wood. I would post a link but I am selfish ;) So should I do it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I talked myself into it haha. For the price, I don't think I can go wrong. Thanks anyway guys!

It is what you think will fit your game, for $47.00 it is a cheap experiment, you might find that you like a 4wood...

If you wanted to spend a little extra I would highly recommend taking a look at the Tour Edge Exotics CB3 or CB4 4 metal, they come in at 16.5* (supposedly) with a square face, I know from experience the face is pretty hot on them, as I play the CB3 I am not all about the slots and white crowns, i like the traditional look and feel of the TE CB3 that I play.

It is what you think will fit your game, for $47.00 it is a cheap experiment

That was my thinking when I bought it. Its probably the cheapest experiment I can do. Here is the link to the eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110906759652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1395wt_1037

As a wood, I should be able to hit very well of the tee. I am just curious on how well it goes off of the turf. I'm hoping it will earn a spot in my bag pretty quickly.

This is the one I thought it was. I looked it up last night and actually researched this club. I am more of a hybrid person myself, and hit them much better than woods. But the reviews of this club were very good, Lots of talk about turf interaction etc.... Most of the Nike clubs have been getting rave reviews pretty much starting with this one. Nike may be a "Johnnie-come-lately" to the golf industry but they have the money to do the research and by all indications they have. Best of luck with the new club.

Well, it looks like I will have the club on Tuesday, so I will know pretty soon on how I do with it. Not too shabby for free shipping :)

My 4 wood came in today! I am very excited. It has a smaller head than I am used to, but to be honest, I really like that. Here are some pics and I will post how I do with it when I can get out.

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

Archived