4 Wood?

Flv02

Some people are never satisfied, and I am one of them. I can not leave my bag alone. I more than satisfied with my irons, but at the top of the bag I have been doing some experimenting. First I used 14* and 19* hybrids, then went to 17* and 21* and lastly 19* and 21*. All in an effort to cover a certain distance gap.

Here is the problem I ran into, when you are taking about a yardage from 140 to 155. In this case, I can take a club that has 3 degrees more loft and is a half inch longer and still cover that distance. However, when you start talking about a club that you may use off the tee, or out of the rough or want the ball to check up or run forever, you really need two different styles of clubs.

Yes, I have been heralding the banner of replacing fairway metals (woods) with hybrids. but have had some difficult in that area. Not because they were too hard to hit, but they were to simular. So, I have taken these KBS Hybrid steel shafts and put the 909H 19* (bored out to .370) on the 41" shaft and then bored out my 909F2 15.5 degree fairway metal and put it on the 42" shaft. This is an inch shorter than the stock shaft, so I should have better control and I have a wider range of shot I can hit with these two clubs because they are much different heads. This is more like a weak 3 wood but may still qualify as a 4 wood with the way all the lofts are getting stronger.

I am waiting for the epoxy to harden now so I may get to play these this evening.

Driver:      :taylormade-small:   Stealth Plus 10.5° on Mitsubishi  Kai’li  6S

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190 5w  On Project X Hzrdus Yellow

:ping-small:  G425MAX 7w  and 9w  on Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:    :ping-small:  G425MAX  5H  and  6H and 7H   on   TENSEI Blue 7S

Irons:     :cobra-small: King MB Black 8-P on KBS Tour Black Smoke 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP T5 Black 5 ES21 54° & 60° on KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:    :EVNROLL: ER5B

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1 :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I've opted for a weaker lofted 3-wood or 15.5 degrees. For me, it's good balance between the trajectory I need up here in windy Chicagoland and the distance to maintain the proper gaps in my longer clubs.

The only reason I'd go with a 4-wood is if I didn't want to carry a 15* and 19* club to put an extra wedge in the bag (like a 64*).

But, I'd be lying if I said my 3-wood is my favorite club in the bag. ;)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Some people are never satisfied, and I am one of them. I can not leave my bag alone. I more than satisfied with my irons, but at the top of the bag I have been doing some experimenting. First I used 14* and 19* hybrids, then went to 17* and 21* and lastly 19* and 21*. All in an effort to cover a certain distance gap.

Here is the problem I ran into, when you are taking about a yardage from 140 to 155. In this case, I can take a club that has 3 degrees more loft and is a half inch longer and still cover that distance. However, when you start talking about a club that you may use off the tee, or out of the rough or want the ball to check up or run forever, you really need two different styles of clubs.

Yes, I have been heralding the banner of replacing fairway metals (woods) with hybrids. but have had some difficult in that area. Not because they were too hard to hit, but they were to simular. So, I have taken these KBS Hybrid steel shafts and put the 909H 19* (bored out to .370) on the 41" shaft and then bored out my 909F2 15.5 degree fairway metal and put it on the 42" shaft. This is an inch shorter than the stock shaft, so I should have better control and I have a wider range of shot I can hit with these two clubs because they are much different heads. This is more like a weak 3 wood but may still qualify as a 4 wood with the way all the lofts are getting stronger.

I am waiting for the epoxy to harden now so I may get to play these this evening.

My experiment with the 15.5* 3 wood was short lived. I hit this club too high and too much spin and really had poor distance control with it so, after two days of trying it, I changed back to the 19* and 21* hybrids.

I said, "However, when you start talking about a club that you may use off the tee, or out of the rough or want the ball to check up or run forever, you really need two different styles of clubs." Well, I wanted this to be a true statement but it is not. You can hit the hybrid two different ways. You can sweep it like a fairway wood, prefered off the tee, and it will hit and run. Or you can hit down on it like an iron, and it will fly higher and it will check up nicely.

I wanted to have a little more distance with the 15.5 but I calculate that difference in the loft is really only 6 or 7 yards. I know they can do other things to change the spin and trajectory. and as a matter of fact they did which is why I can not hit the 3 wood. Perhaps, I would have had better luck with the 909F3 or I am sure the RocketBallz would solve all my problems (not.:D ) But in reality, I did not have a problem. I hit a 19* hybrid over a lake, over trees and into the fairway just short of the green 3 times this weekend. All three times, after poor drives into a pretty strong wind, I was 265 to 270 from the center of the green. All three times, I hit a beautiful 5 yard draw over the trees and ended up inside 50 yards. Twice one of my fellow players was beside me and one hit the tree and went in the water. One hit the water and went in to the trees. So the debate is finally settled for me.

Now, I just have a putter issue to resolve.:P

However, I also dropped my 60 in lieu of a 64. And changed my 56 for one with more bounce, but these changes will happen very often.

Well I should put a mention in that the 4 metal I am playing has a low spin shaft in it. Same shaft profile as my driver but 85g and was a Stiff tipped to an X plus was tipped in addition for a 3 metal now plays into a 4 metal with no additional tipping. The ball comes out with some spin but not ballooning or anything crazy very workable spin. It is 16.5* with a low spin shaft comes out penetrating most of the time like a high lofted driver migh it just has more spin that's for sure then a driver and thus a lot easier to work the ball.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Golfers,

As you know from this post I made and from my classifieds post, I have been in the market for a 4 wood and I need your help ASAP. I have found a brand new 17* Nike SQ Dymo on eBay and made an offer. He counter offered with $47.00 with free shipping! Was this a good club in 2009? And should I jump on this deal? I have been looking for 4 woods on eBay and this is the cheapest I have seen a new 4 wood. I would post a link but I am selfish ;) So should I do it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I talked myself into it haha. For the price, I don't think I can go wrong. Thanks anyway guys!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

It is what you think will fit your game, for $47.00 it is a cheap experiment, you might find that you like a 4wood...

If you wanted to spend a little extra I would highly recommend taking a look at the Tour Edge Exotics CB3 or CB4 4 metal, they come in at 16.5* (supposedly) with a square face, I know from experience the face is pretty hot on them, as I play the CB3 I am not all about the slots and white crowns, i like the traditional look and feel of the TE CB3 that I play.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

It is what you think will fit your game, for $47.00 it is a cheap experiment

That was my thinking when I bought it. Its probably the cheapest experiment I can do. Here is the link to the eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110906759652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1395wt_1037

As a wood, I should be able to hit very well of the tee. I am just curious on how well it goes off of the turf. I'm hoping it will earn a spot in my bag pretty quickly.

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

This is the one I thought it was. I looked it up last night and actually researched this club. I am more of a hybrid person myself, and hit them much better than woods. But the reviews of this club were very good, Lots of talk about turf interaction etc.... Most of the Nike clubs have been getting rave reviews pretty much starting with this one. Nike may be a "Johnnie-come-lately" to the golf industry but they have the money to do the research and by all indications they have. Best of luck with the new club.

Well, it looks like I will have the club on Tuesday, so I will know pretty soon on how I do with it. Not too shabby for free shipping :)

My 4 wood came in today! I am very excited. It has a smaller head than I am used to, but to be honest, I really like that. Here are some pics and I will post how I do with it when I can get out.

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

I like the size of that head, very classic look. I would replace the shaft personally with something that fit me better I hate "made for" shafts, they normally don't preform with a crap for me. I think you will like the 4wood find a good gap between Driver and probably a hybrid.