Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

A Canadian in Thailand

Hey folks just checking in- long time lurker on this site, and frequet poster on the reviews as "joe". Thought it was time I actually made myself official.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Greetings! How's the goffin' in Thailand?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Welcome! I was the same way until last month. You'll like the site even more now that you are part of the forum.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

It is the weirdest thing, I actually became a member of this site the same day I started reading it. But I "lurked" on other sites for quite some time. I never became a member because most of the people seemed to already know each other. This site actually invited me. Some where or other I read "Join the conversation." And they had a whole section dedicated to introducing yourself. So I did. It is so great. Beats the hell out of Facebook, where I have known the people for years or related to them, but for the most part, could careless about what they did today. Here, I have "Friends" that I would not know if they walked through the front door right now, unless they had their golf bag with them. I might know them then by the clubs that are in the bag, but I can spend hours talking about stuff I am interested in.

The only other site that I have participated in the Forums has to do with Off Roading and Land Rovers. Hence the RoverRick moniker. And honestly, I am not into it enough to participate more than once or twice a year. But here, I am approaching 1000 posts in 6 months, and have made some really good friends, well, at least they would be if I ever actually met them. Some of them maybe Mary Matalin/James Carville type friends, not to marry, but differing views but can agree to disagree. So Welcome, and join the conversation. And do not keep your opinion to yourself, no matter how wrong you actually are.:rolleyes:

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Greetings! How's the goffin' in Thailand?

Hot! Or Wet. Or Wet and Hot.

Seriously I have found it very hard to find a time with conditions that make it fun to play. When its 36 and feels like 45 it's just brutal. I am in the simulators far far more than on the course these days.

But the courses are pretty nice.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Hot! Or Wet. Or Wet and Hot.

Seriously I have found it very hard to find a time with conditions that make it fun to play. When its 36 and feels like 45 it's just brutal. I am in the simulators far far more than on the course these days.

But the courses are pretty nice.

Celcius! Took me a second...

Stay cool!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Welcome aboard - been here a couple of weeks and really enjoying the company. Some very knowledgable folks here.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nice to see you over here as well 2S!

All the cool people are in the same forums. :)

In Play

Warming the bench

TwoSolitudes,

I've had a nagging thought in the back of my head. Last time I was in Thailand, I remember seeing Fourteen clubs at reasonable prices. In the states they're absurdly expensive. How much does a set run over there? Also, are Miuras more common? I know Maruman are...

TwoSolitudes,

I've had a nagging thought in the back of my head. Last time I was in Thailand, I remember seeing Fourteen clubs at reasonable prices. In the states they're absurdly expensive. How much does a set run over there? Also, are Miuras more common? I know Maruman are...

Miuras are easy to find. Maruman and Honma are common. Kasco is pretty big and PRGR (love those EGG woods). There is actually a Fourteen store in the big 'golf mall' here. I'll check out the prices for you.

In Play

Warming the bench

• 2 weeks later...

TwoSolitudes,

@wdgolf,

I had a visit with the Fourteen shop this morning. Full sets of the new models are running from 55,000 to 75,000 baht. (1800-2400 USD). They go way up from there- but I am guessing you don't want the gold plated ones!

I found two decent sets of used ones as well. Some TC1000 Forged for 19,000 (650USD) and HI-969's for 30,000 (1000USD).

Donno what they run for in the US, but they are not cheap here!

In Play

Warming the bench

Thanks! That's pretty much on par with prices in the US then. I was in Golf Town yesterday and saw a Miura set for around 1700.

I go to Thailand every few years and was hoping to exploit their proximity to Japan, oh well. Thanks again.

You might get a good deal in Japan, but Import and luxury tax here is a killer. They will negotiate a bit, and you get the VAT tax back as a tourist, but it will still be way up there. I was looking at the maruman shuttle irons too and they seem to be about the same price as in the US or Canada as well. Hard to justify laying out over 1000 bucks for irons these days. Maybe I will sell the Cleveland's and the Burners to help take a bite out of that.

In Play

Warming the bench

You might get a good deal in Japan, but Import and luxury tax here is a killer. They will negotiate a bit, and you get the VAT tax back as a tourist, but it will still be way up there. I was looking at the maruman shuttle irons too and they seem to be about the same price as in the US or Canada as well. Hard to justify laying out over 1000 bucks for irons these days. Maybe I will sell the Cleveland's and the Burners to help take a bite out of that.

Yeah, I agree. There are so many good irons out there that it's very hard to justify getting the Japanese stuff, though so far I still like the MP59s better than anything out there in the

• 1 month later...

Welcome! I have a lot of family on my wife's side in Thailand. One of my dreams is to go to the Jack Nicklaus designed resort in Phuket

http://www.missionhillsphuket.com/

main-golf00.jpg

main-golf01.jpg

main-golf02.jpg

main-golf03.jpg

main-golf04.jpg

It'll be a few years before we can make it back out there, but I'm already planning!

Such a beautiful Course and really fun and challenging too play. Love these photos. But nothing beats being here and playing.

Golfasian

The #1 Golf Experts in Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia & Indonesia!

Golfasian

http://www.golfasian.com

The #1 Golf Experts in Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia & Indonesia!

Thanks for joining the crowd 2S. We always share great reviews and topics on MGS. And from the looks of it you are already drawing a crowd. Its nice to see and meet people from all around the globe.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the Forum! The Thai courses look amazing - what is the golf lesson scene like over there? Are there many pros teaching??

Sorry for the late replay James- But yeah, there are quite a few 'pros' here playing on the Asian circuit that also work as instructors the golf centres here. Many are from the UK and Australia. I have taken a few lessons from a guy who played in the Australian open and Korean tours. The simulators around Bangkok are actually pretty good and quite cheap. I practice at Wilding Golf (which is in the building where I work) but there are others around town as well. 12000 baht (360 bucks?) for a year long membership that lets you use the simulators whenever you like. Nice.

In Play

Warming the bench

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya Joe,

Had quite a few trips to SEA over the past 8 years...Bangkok and Pattaya mostly but also Chang Mai and Chang Rai...the golfing is much better on the coast with a cool sea breeze and a cold beer. Mai Pen Rai

Sawadee Khap

A few photos from Wat Pakeaw

100_0012_r1.jpg

100_0023 (2).JPG

100_0013_r1 (3).jpg

Leo L. "Rocky" Lee

President

Golfmasters, LLC

866-868-7348

Home of the Speedflex Pro

the Ultimate Golfers Full Swing Training Aid

Ha! My mother in law arrived from Italy today. We were actually just talking about going back to Wat Phra Kaew.

In Play

Warming the bench

TS, my father is going back to Bangkok in January for a reunion of some guys he fought with in Nam. He was special forces and they trained these men & the fact that he and a few SEAL teammates are going back for this reunion tells ya all you need to know about your country men. They were warriors and my father cannot speak highly enough about your country or the people.

Anyway, I'm probably going with him & we're going to be taking our clubs. I say I'm probably goin because I'm having treatment for a health issue & as it stands, I'm good to go, though that is subject to change..lol

If possible, and you're near Bangkok, maybe we could hook up & hit the ball. They are going to have a golf outing for the guys, however I'd like to play a few tracks, and who better to play with than you, if you're in the proximity & have the time.

I'll give ya the specifics as we get closer to then, probably November or December.

And BTW,congratz on your 100th post. Seriously, your posts are always well articulated and thought out. It's been great haviin your input. Thank You.

Have a good one

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Cheers J.P

I am from Canada not Thailand, but I have a bit of WWII military history in my family as well. This was my grandfather.

But the Thai's are pretty proud of never having been colonized and have a pretty high regard for their military (and the King!). I am travelling quite a bit starting next week (South Africa) but should be around over the Christmas holidays. I am am member of a really good golfing group here, The Bangkok Wanderers. Visitors are welcome and you will get flavour of the many expats from all over the world living here. I would be happy to bring you along! Let me know how your plans work out.

In Play

Warming the bench

Archived