TESTERS WANTED! ×

Interesting Round Today...

GolfSpy Barbajo

Got to the course today - after warming up I headed to the putting green and the first tee. Saw a guy there with his two young children...I mean 7 and 9 young. Thinking "he can't be bringing them out on a crowded Sunday morning, can he?"

He was!

My playing partners were a 70 year old guy and his late 30's daughter. The Golf Digest article about gender bias was rolling around in my head, so I wanted to make sure I didn't make her feel uncomfortable. Turns out she used to play in high school, was ranked 20th in the state of MN at the time, and was hitting the bejeezus out of the ball on the tee. She hadn't played much lately and you could tell from the rest of her game, but you could tell she knew how to play the game! And her old man was still crushing it, too!

Now back to the kids -- these two youngsters were two of the best behaved children I've ever seen - golf course or anywhere! It was a HOT day and these little guys kept plugging away. The older one would get off the occasional rocket, while the younger one made his way around okay. They didn't hold us up at all - and they played all 18 holes! I figured the kids would be done after 9 but nope - they kept right on rolling. Chatted with them at the turn - the older one, a lefty, was a Tiger fan while the younger one preferred Phil. It was pretty clear they knew what to do on a course, and they didn't waste any time. My hat's off to their Dad for teaching them the right way to act on a golf course and for bringing them out on a Sunday morning.

Now, as for the 4some that was in front of them...these guys must have been playing for some big $$ because they were S-L-O-W!! The marshall talked to them a couple of times, but the last couple of holes we were on the tee, the Dad was waiting to hit his second shot while his kids were making progress toward the green and the slow 4some had their conference on the green.

BTW - shot a 79 - best round of the year. Better chipping could have shaved 3 or 4 more strokes...

Maybe there is something to that Pro Mental Coach!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I do not think age, sex, color, creed, or even union membership should matter on who can play golf, as long as you behave properly. I play with a guy who sometimes brings his grandchildren out for nine holes. He has a dozen or more of them. Some of them are very well behaved and I do not mind at all. However, some of them should be aaahhhh..... Well, I was about to make a putt one time on the 7th hole and saw them jumping from the top of one cart to the other. He did not seem to notice what the precious little darlings were doing. Very irritating,

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

We need more women and kids involved in this game - period.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Nice round - in regards to speed of play my experience has always been its the guys who think they are good and aren't that slow things down - not women who generally play along nicely and well within themselves or kids supervised by a responsible adult who will pick up to keep the play moving or beginners who are being taught proper etiquette (sp?).

It's guys who are on the wrong set of tees and who haven't a clue but have to line up that bogey putt for the $5 dollars that they have no business playing for. :( :( :(

My Tuesday league is on a course that is always in the top 10 nationally for most rounds played in a season - as you can imagine I see everything and anything there - the people playing the back tees who have no business being there taking a close second to the $5 a holers in regards to slowness of play - I'll sometimes play with them, the 5 dollar a holers because it's nice to go home with some cash as compensation for a 5 hour round on a course that should take three and half. :rolleyes:

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I played Long Island National this past Thursday. Played the front nine as a twosome in just under an hour and a half. Caught the foursome in front of us on the tenth tee and played the back nine in three hours. These guys were slower than slow, almost the pace of Augusta on Sundays afternoon. Paced off every shot, looked at every putt from both sides of the hole and not one person in the group broke 110. I shot an up and down 76 from the tips and my playing partner shot 79 from my the tips. I just don't get slow play at all. There is no reason on a day with that little play on the course that there should be a struggle to get in under 5 hours. Common sense would tell me that if I hit it 195 off the tee that I don't have a 310 yard three wood in the bag that will get me home in two.....hence no need to wait for the green to clear.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Agreed.

Nice story Barbajo.

I've officially got less annoyed by slow play after my weekend round. I have replaced it with the munchkin's who don't do the everyday curtious stuff. If your slow but fix your pitch marks, rake and the sand and heaven's to betsy stick the pin back in the cup I find I don't really care anymore. However not doing any of the three things above is simply diabolical and to me, more then being oblivious and playing slow, shows an entire lack of respect for anyone else. /sidenote.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Got to the course today - after warming up I headed to the putting green and the first tee. Saw a guy there with his two young children...I mean 7 and 9 young. Thinking "he can't be bringing them out on a crowded Sunday morning, can he?"

He was!

My playing partners were a 70 year old guy and his late 30's daughter. The Golf Digest article about gender bias was rolling around in my head, so I wanted to make sure I didn't make her feel uncomfortable. Turns out she used to play in high school, was ranked 20th in the state of MN at the time, and was hitting the bejeezus out of the ball on the tee. She hadn't played much lately and you could tell from the rest of her game, but you could tell she knew how to play the game! And her old man was still crushing it, too!

Now back to the kids -- these two youngsters were two of the best behaved children I've ever seen - golf course or anywhere! It was a HOT day and these little guys kept plugging away. The older one would get off the occasional rocket, while the younger one made his way around okay. They didn't hold us up at all - and they played all 18 holes! I figured the kids would be done after 9 but nope - they kept right on rolling. Chatted with them at the turn - the older one, a lefty, was a Tiger fan while the younger one preferred Phil. It was pretty clear they knew what to do on a course, and they didn't waste any time. My hat's off to their Dad for teaching them the right way to act on a golf course and for bringing them out on a Sunday morning.

Now, as for the 4some that was in front of them...these guys must have been playing for some big $$ because they were S-L-O-W!! The marshall talked to them a couple of times, but the last couple of holes we were on the tee, the Dad was waiting to hit his second shot while his kids were making progress toward the green and the slow 4some had their conference on the green.

BTW - shot a 79 - best round of the year. Better chipping could have shaved 3 or 4 more strokes...

Maybe there is something to that Pro Mental Coach!

Congratulations on your great round! It really is refreshing seeing kids and women playing, enjoying themselves, and following proper etiquette. It is definitely something the game needs. I was working yesterday, and from the pub you can see the first tee box. I saw a teenage girl and her mother who decided to play from the whites so they did not slow up the rest of their foursome. And from what I can see, they were damn good! The only bad thing was that they both had bright white TMag drivers..

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

There was a time I myself was one of those snot nosed little monsters at 8 years old roaming the course withy great uncle and a couple of his friends. First time out I received a divot tool and instructions on how to use it. I attribute most of what I know about on course ettiquette to what he and another family friend who took me to the course taught me at that early age. It's the same thing I'll try to pass on to my nephews when I get to take them in a couple more years. It's a lot easier to teach the right habits early than try and break the bad ones later.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Great to see the kids out there playing, and very possible a product of Dad and the First Tee teaching them the game. Women, I never even think twice about playing with them. Most of the times, I think they maybe a little nervous about playing with guys if they are not "good enough" when are we even good enough?

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Last year I went out as a solo and the starter gave me a choice of teeing off right away with two older ladies or waiting for them and teeing off with two older guys after. I was sort of dumbfounded that this was even a choice. I went with the two ladies and had a great round. There was absolutely no ego with them and they were happy to tell me their stories of going to Augusta, which was fun.

As for taking kids, I make it no secret that I take my 8 year old son with me every time I go out. At the course we go, the starter is awesome and very encouraging to my son. We typically take a little over 2 hours to 2 hours, fifteen minutes for 9 and the starter always gives my son a big thumbs up for keeping up. We have played with total jerks too who continuously would make comments on how we should go to the local pitch and putt. I just tell them to play ahead. I'd say 90% of people we've played with have been nothing but encouraging to my son though.

As for taking kids, I make it no secret that I take my 8 year old son with me every time I go out.....

.....I'd say 90% of people we've played with have been nothing but encouraging to my son though.

Same here. More rounds than not I'm toting either my 3 or 5 year old. They are both helpful in tending the pin, and not bad at raking bunkers. I let them putt, but otherwise they are simply learning how the game works. I told them both, once they can consistently hit it 50 yards in our backyard, they can start bringing an iron along too. The 5 year old does have an odd obsession with the ball washer though, and offers to clean everyone's golf balls at every tee box.

Anyway, I have yet to finish a round where the people we paired up with haven't told them how pleased they were to play with them. I guess my point is that, well behaved respectful kids seem to be well received on the golf course.

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

If you have good golf etiquette that is what matters to me. I don't care your ability, age, sex, religion, race, etc. I will be more then happy to play a round of golf with you anytime.

I have been known to ask nicer people that seem like they struggle with the game but love it if they want a couple of pointers during the round. I always ask 'how do you feel about advice on the course?' if they say yes I give them only one pointer don't want to could their thought process with too much.

Maturity and age don't always go hand-in-hand. There are more than a few 40+ year olds who could use a good spanking. :rolleyes:

great post, +100

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Dad and Grand Dad taught those kids those kids proper in life and golf my hats off to them. As far as slow play goes it is bad especially down here in the tourist golfer season. If i play during that season i play lower tier less tourist friendly courses. The attitude down here is I am on vacation I paid my money and the only reason you locals can live down here and play these courses is because we support you so I will play as slow as i darn well please. The courses attitude is oh we dont want to piss the tourists off cause if we do they will play at one of the other 90 or so courses in this area so they instruct their rangers not to say much of anything. Most of the rangers on these courses down here are useless anyhow you will find them with their ball retrievers hawking balls in the water hazards sleeping on their carts in the woods or BS ing with the beverage cart girls. most of them are retired on pensions etc they only "work" there to play free golf Yep down here it is a catch 22 situtaion. i dont want to come off as anti tourist because I have met many wonderful tourists and am fortunate enough to be invited to play with them when they come back down I am merely giving an insight to what is going on in my area

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nice round - in regards to speed of play my experience has always been its the guys who think they are good and aren't that slow things down - not women who generally play along nicely and well within themselves or kids supervised by a responsible adult who will pick up to keep the play moving or beginners who are being taught proper etiquette (sp?).

It's guys who are on the wrong set of tees and who haven't a clue but have to line up that bogey putt for the $5 dollars that they have no business playing for. :( :( :(

My Tuesday league is on a course that is always in the top 10 nationally for most rounds played in a season - as you can imagine I see everything and anything there - the people playing the back tees who have no business being there taking a close second to the $5 a holers in regards to slowness of play - I'll sometimes play with them, the 5 dollar a holers because it's nice to go home with some cash as compensation for a 5 hour round on a course that should take three and half. :rolleyes:

Cool my kinda of rev that will play for a buck or two

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived